Some Cyclocross advice

wardie

Some Cyclocross advice

Postby wardie » Thu May 08, 2014 10:45 am

Hi

I'm hoping to be in the market for a CX bike soon (if I can sell my Colnago frame) and am hoping for some advice on what to chose. I've read most of the post in this list but have a few more queries. Primarily, riding will be to

1. Brakes - my aim is to eventually race (Manly etc) but mostly the bike will be used for rides on road and fire trails. Lady Carrington Drive will probably be the most frequent stretch of dirt I'll ride on for those that know it. If I do commute on it, it will only be in dry weather. So are cantis suitable? I'm also leaning towards cantis as it means I can use a current pair of rims that I have plus I'm mechanically pretty poor and they seem easier to maintain.

2. Frame - it seems that most of the complete bikes for sale come with disc brakes. Can a frame be converted from disc brakes to canti and vice versa?

Let me know if anyone has, or knows of, a bike or frame (Large, 56cm TT) for sale.

Thanks
Giant XTC 2

nezumi

Re: Some Cyclocross advice

Postby nezumi » Thu May 08, 2014 12:04 pm

1. I'm not sure of the specific bit of dirt. Having now ridden mechanical discs I wouldn't go back to rim brakes on a CX bike. I don't find it difficult to dial in the pads on my Merida CX4, I just whack the wheel in, adjust the inboard pad first, make sure it's running clean then adjust the moving pad. Easy as.

2. When looking at a frame that is canti equipped, have a look on the fork and at the rear triangle for mounts for disc brakes. If the frame has them, you can change to disc brakes down the track. If they aren't there you may be out of luck.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

fletch62

Postby fletch62 » Sat May 10, 2014 2:01 pm

How about a Colnago cx bike? One on facebook, 56cm. World cup 2.0 w/disc. $1400 in Melburn.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
CX bikes are either set up for canti or disc, not both. I'm building one up but with mini-v's instead of canti's. Apparently they are better braking.
If i was buying new, i would get disc's.

wardie

Postby wardie » Sat May 10, 2014 4:33 pm

Thanks for that but I don't really facebook and can't seem to access that link.
Giant XTC 2

KGB

Postby KGB » Sat May 10, 2014 5:28 pm

I know Lady Carrington - you could do that on a road bike easily with decent sized (eg 28mm) tyres. Any CX bike will lap it up.

I am almost finished building mine up and I went for Canti's. Partly because I'm poor but also because it means I can drop some road wheels on for commuting or even use them as spares if I put CX tyres on them. I've ridden a couple of MTB's with discs and no doubt they are more powerful, especially in the wet and mud. I'd take them if I had some but canti's will be fine for me.

As far as changing between the two brake types, most frames seem to be designed for one or the other that I've seen. As mentioned, for discs, you need the mounts/tabs near the rear dropout and on the lower fork leg. For canti's (or V's, mini V's) you need the posts brazed/bonded/welded onto the seat stays and the fork legs. If you find a frame with both styles of mounts then yes, there is no problem switching. Another concern might be the wheels, many disc wheels are built with disc only rims - no braking surface for rim brakes. Running disc hubs and just removing the disc while you run canti's is no problem.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Sat May 10, 2014 8:25 pm

Just make your life easier and get a disc CX bike. There was a brief period where bikes had both brake mounts to make sure there was cross compatibility but these days the disc market is well established and parts are easy to get.

If' you're really keen on cantis, there should be a heap of sale canti bikes at the moment. Give us a budget and I'm sure BNA will start sending you links.

*Edit - if you're keen on building, this has both canti and disc.
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthr ... -1500grams
Last edited by Calvin27 on Sat May 10, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

wardie

Postby wardie » Sat May 10, 2014 8:27 pm

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I'm probably looking at $2k max.
Giant XTC 2

limbot

Postby limbot » Sat May 10, 2014 8:46 pm

My Trek DS 8.4 has hydraulic discs and they have fantastic stopping power, my son has a DS 8.3 with mech disc and while not as good as the hydraulics they work well.

My Ridley X-Bow has stock 4ZA canti's. They don't stop as well however after having the LBS adjust them properly they're a lot better than I first thought. IMHO canti's will stop you just not as quickly or accurately.

I dont see this as a problem as you have to ride to your equipment just like you have to ride to the conditions.

Long and short, disc or canti will stop you when you want to stop (just slighly differently) ! :)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat May 10, 2014 10:15 pm

If you have the choice I don't understand why you wouldn't go disc. So much more modulation and power, especially in poor conditions.

Maintenance is easy and you don't trash wheels by the simple act of braking.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Sun May 11, 2014 9:42 am

Agree. Discs if you can. I have canti brakes on mine (shorty ultimate) that were massively improved by kool stop pads. The gravel grinder has V's that were massively improved by a set of Problem Solvers (cable rollers) instead of noodles - almost the same modulation as discs!

But if I was getting another frame or fork, it'd have disc mounts and would wear a set of TRP cable hydro disc brakes.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

KGB

Postby KGB » Sun May 11, 2014 2:36 pm

My first post was leaning towards canti's, largely because they're cheap and its easy to swap in some older road wheels as spares.
With a $2k budget, go discs.

wardie

Postby wardie » Sun May 11, 2014 3:08 pm

I think you've all swayed me towards discs.

I can get the following brand new for approx $1500. Any immediate upgrades that's required?

http://www.focus-bikes.com/au/en/bikes/ ... ax-30.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Giant XTC 2

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sun May 11, 2014 4:19 pm

Looks good. Not sure If there is anything to swap out.

Parts can wear quickly due to grit and mud, so I would ride/race as is and think about any changes when the time comes.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Sun May 11, 2014 5:02 pm

Just ride mate. Ride anywhere, jump some stuff, tear up gravel, have a ball.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

wardie

Postby wardie » Tue May 13, 2014 9:55 am

Thanks all. I put an order in for the Focus listed above. Hopefully get it by the end of the week. I can't wait.
Giant XTC 2

simonn

Postby simonn » Tue May 13, 2014 10:29 am

wardie wrote:Thanks all. I put an order in for the Focus listed above. Hopefully get it by the end of the week. I can't wait.
Just in time for the first round of the MWCC Subaru Active Cyclo Cross Series, J.J Melbourne Hills Memorial Reserve, Terrey Hills (i.e. Terry Hills BMX track/equestrian thing) this Saturday 8)

1.30pm Rego & Course Practice
2.00pm U7 Kids
2.15pm U12 Kids
2.30pm B Grade CX (CX Bike Only), Womens CX/Open (any bike), and Open Mens (non CX bike) - 30 minutes
3.00pm Course Practice
3.30pm A Grade CX - 45 Minutes
4.30pm Presentation

Entry $15, kids with license free.
CA Gold or MTBA Competition License required
Day licences (MTBA) available for $20

wardie

Postby wardie » Tue May 13, 2014 12:19 pm

simonn wrote:
wardie wrote:Thanks all. I put an order in for the Focus listed above. Hopefully get it by the end of the week. I can't wait.
Just in time for the first round of the MWCC Subaru Active Cyclo Cross Series, J.J Melbourne Hills Memorial Reserve, Terrey Hills (i.e. Terry Hills BMX track/equestrian thing) this Saturday 8)

1.30pm Rego & Course Practice
2.00pm U7 Kids
2.15pm U12 Kids
2.30pm B Grade CX (CX Bike Only), Womens CX/Open (any bike), and Open Mens (non CX bike) - 30 minutes
3.00pm Course Practice
3.30pm A Grade CX - 45 Minutes
4.30pm Presentation

Entry $15, kids with license free.
CA Gold or MTBA Competition License required
Day licences (MTBA) available for $20
Thanks for that. Maybe not this week but certainly in the future.
Giant XTC 2