The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

nitestick

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby nitestick » Tue May 06, 2014 7:49 pm

I guess I'll nominate myself for riding this frankenbike home from work. Slippery unwrapped drops, crappy temporary brake levers until my hoods arrive and to top it off, tribars (wouldn't fit in my backpack) freshly arrived and installed to transport.Image

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue May 06, 2014 8:49 pm

Bloody bloody stupid mother this morning while riding past Aspley State School on Maundrel Terrace. Mother stepped off the footpath onto the road holding hands with her daughter on her right side and started walking past parked cars ie parked car, mother, daughter, peak hour traffic. Walks past the first parked car. Now the bus heading up the hill starts to slow down to a crawl because there is no room to pass without hitting them or the traffic coming down the hill that's already squeezing past parked cars. Walks the 10-15m gap to the second parked car and continues past. Clears the parked car and continues to walk a similar line for another 15m before slowly adjusting her line to walk towards the gutter. Didn't look behind at all and my money was on them trying to cut across the road. Had to be drug affected as no sane mother would on purpose walk their daughter closest to moving traffic on a road with that high traffic volume between parked cars especially in peak hour having walked off the footpath!

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed May 07, 2014 1:18 pm

^AUthorities should bring in mandantory licence to breed before they worry about cycling licences

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu May 08, 2014 10:23 am

Moron cyclist was the SUVelo guy in Centennial Park who passed me way to close doing +40kmh and also kept that speed through the pedestrian crossing which warns cyclists to slow and keep to the 30kmh limit. This moron would also have passed the CP ranger doing +40kmh a few hundred metres before he went by me. This was at 8.45am not before 7am when the park is pretty empty.The ACA segment last night showed footage of a SUVelo peloton apparently riding above the 30kmh limit and passing a ranger's vehicle.

herzog

Postby herzog » Thu May 08, 2014 10:48 am

I commute through CP every day, and I've seen some appalling antics by these SuVelo guys.

Worst I've seen was an SuVelo guy in riding contraflow, at high speed, on the pedestrian path.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu May 08, 2014 11:26 am

herzog wrote:I commute through CP every day, and I've seen some appalling antics by these SuVelo guys.

Worst I've seen was an SuVelo guy in riding contraflow, at high speed, on the pedestrian path.
A little while ago now I had two SUVelo riders pass at speed between me and a moving car. I was on the right hand side of the cycle lane with a slower rider on my left and these two clowns were riding on the road and squeezed between me and the car that was passing me at the time. If you go to the SUVelo website and look up their Committee not one person has provided contact details. So no accountability whatsoever.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu May 08, 2014 11:31 am

biker jk wrote:
herzog wrote:I commute through CP every day, and I've seen some appalling antics by these SuVelo guys.

A little while ago now I had two SUVelo riders pass at speed between me and a moving car. I was on the right hand side of the cycle lane with a slower rider on my left and these two clowns were riding on the road and squeezed between me and the car that was passing me at the time. If you go to the SUVelo website and look up their Committee not one person has provided contact details. So no accountability whatsoever.
http://suvelo.com.au/ride-suvelo/safe-ride-guide/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We obey all road rules and observe red lights.
:lol:

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu May 08, 2014 1:01 pm

wellington_street wrote:
biker jk wrote:

http://suvelo.com.au/ride-suvelo/safe-ride-guide/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We obey all road rules and observe red lights.
:lol:
I was in CP at the time (responding to Herzog's example), not that it should make a difference regarding observing road rules.

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Thu May 08, 2014 4:37 pm

Dumb cyclist was me on Tuesday evening riding home. It was fully dark and I was just coming down the Mitchell psp past currambine station. As I was an hour into my ride, and just about to leave the path for a busy 2 lane road I thought I'd check my 2 rear lights were still working. As I reached over my shoulder to put my hand back into the beam I turned slightly left off the inside of the path onto the 50cm of compacted road base at about 40kmh. Managed to hang on and slow down enough to pop back up onto the path, but I felt pretty stupid albeit lucky not to have a spectacular stack

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Fri May 09, 2014 1:09 am

In sunny (it's all relative) Brisbane for work this work and have seen many dumb cyclists riding on or after dusk in dark clothing and without any sort of lighting on their bikes.

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Fri May 09, 2014 10:06 am

I saw large peloton of MAMIL's around UQ this morning, there was almost a serious incident because apparently none of them knew how to ride in a bunch. Just before getting to the Girl's colleges around UQ, voices within the bunch started screaming "hold, hold" which progressed down the queue of the peloton. Why I've got no idea, but all I saw was the tail end of the bunch move, a clash of bikes and release of air escaping out of tubes at an alarming rate. Thankfully no-one hit the deck, but it was just another large group in Brisbane who flock inexperienced riders together and crash!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri May 09, 2014 10:29 am

Ignoto wrote:I saw large peloton of MAMIL's around UQ this morning, there was almost a serious incident because apparently none of them knew how to ride in a bunch. Just before getting to the Girl's colleges around UQ, voices within the bunch started screaming "hold, hold" which progressed down the queue of the peloton. Why I've got no idea, but all I saw was the tail end of the bunch move, a clash of bikes and release of air escaping out of tubes at an alarming rate. Thankfully no-one hit the deck, but it was just another large group in Brisbane who flock inexperienced riders together and crash!
haven't you learnt? riverloop + friday = bad news

39x25

Postby 39x25 » Fri May 09, 2014 11:35 am

Dumb pedestrian... Bay run rodd point.. Walking with head in the cloud on the Ped side coming towards me.. Me riding on the bike side of the path. As I got to her.. She sudden veered to her left without warning right into my path. Barely enough space to emergency brake and yell out and miss by cm.

Her head still looking up until I yelled. Completely unaware.

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Fri May 09, 2014 3:07 pm

Two in a minute today. On the downhill run on lillyfield road to the city fails to give way to a mum pushing a pram over the pedestrian crossing. Then just after another idiot rides olonh the footpath from a side street and straight over the crossing in front of traffic, very lucky not to be cleaned up.

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri May 09, 2014 7:09 pm

Commuting home on a shared path this afternoon and I come to a road crossing. There are a number of cars coming in both directions so I stop and wait. No hurry really, just cruising home. Across the road a woman on her bike with about 6 or so primary school age kids on bikes are waiting to come across. A couple of the older more confident kids manage to get across to the centre traffic island. I'm still waiting on my side, even though there's been a few gaps in the traffic where I could of shot across but I'm in no hurry and want to set a good example for the kids plus we aren't all going to fit on the centre traffic island. Then another woman on a bike comes up from behind the other woman with the kids and basically barges past them and crosses in front of them. Technically there was nothing illegal about what the second woman did but it showed a lack of courtesy and respect and IMO set a bad example to the kids and was selfish.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sat May 10, 2014 7:15 am

MM at the start, iPed at the end.

Stayin Alive on Sylvan Rd:

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Tue May 13, 2014 6:10 pm

To the pack of cyclists who overtook me on the Koonung Creek Trail in Doncaster at about 5:20pm: if you want to do time trials, get on the bloody road, because a shared path is the wrong setting for it. You were going too fast, failing to give way to oncoming traffic, and cut me off just as I had started veering right to overtake a pedestrian. Nice work, morons.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue May 13, 2014 9:07 pm

Myself this evening. Went through a stop sign at relatively high speed (25kph) about 50m in front of a police vehicle. In my defence the cross street traffic was blocked to the right by an active level crossing with boom gates down and stopped to the left to queue at the boom gate with a large gap left for traffic to proceed through.

Fortunately for me the police must have had better things to do as they did not stop me or the cyclist in front of me who went through even faster than I did.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue May 13, 2014 10:51 pm

The battery in my front light died about 5km from home tonight, just as I happened to be on an unlit path through bushland. So I had to ninja my way home...

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed May 14, 2014 11:30 am

Oooh, fun!

I had one of these on my bike: Minoura SwingArm

The metal clamp that attached around the stem fractured just as I left the office, so I had to throw it into the backpack and ride home with only a rear flashing light.

Eeep!
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

herzog

Postby herzog » Thu May 15, 2014 9:15 pm

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Thu May 15, 2014 9:29 pm

Rhubarb wrote:MM at the start, iPed at the end.

can you sign the E-petition for sylvan road
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 15&t=74849

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Thu May 15, 2014 9:36 pm

Dragster1 wrote:
Rhubarb wrote:MM at the start, iPed at the end.

can you sign the E-petition for sylvan road
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 15&t=74849
I was signature number 4 or 7 IIRC.

Very good petition - please support if you can.

Newcastle Dave

Postby Newcastle Dave » Fri May 16, 2014 7:11 pm

Not sure if these count as pedestrians, but on my evening commute on the Fernleigh Track I had to undertake emergency avoidance manoeuvres to miss
1) a 6 foot python
2) 2 suicidal possums (200 metres apart)
3) a small green frog (except I am not 100% sure I did avoid the frog) :D

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat May 17, 2014 6:15 am

sooo many problems at the intersection of tank st and george st in Brisbane last night that I lost count (2-3 peds walking on the bike crossing across george st then 2-3 just walking straight across the tank st red pedestrian crossing). I need to fix my airzound