New B&M IQ headlight in the pipeline

HappyHumber

Re: New B&M IQ headlight in the pipeline

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:25 pm

il padrone wrote:Hey, just worked out how I can do it with the eTrex 30 (no rechargable batteries, I use AAs).
Luxos U connection to Powermonkey if needed to charge. Powermonkey to the Gamin eTrex. That sucker will power the eTrex for months :D

Nice one, Pete. Worth remembering.

No touring for me as yet, but I'm a pretty content Etrex 30 owner. I don't own a power monkey, and the USB port on my Luxos U is yet to have it's cherry popped. ;)
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:28 pm

HappyHumber wrote:
il padrone wrote:Hey, just worked out how I can do it with the eTrex 30 (no rechargable batteries, I use AAs).
Luxos U connection to Powermonkey if needed to charge. Powermonkey to the Gamin eTrex. That sucker will power the eTrex for months :D

Nice one, Pete. Worth remembering.

No touring for me as yet, but I'm a pretty content Etrex 30 owner. I don't own a power monkey, and the USB port on my Luxos U is yet to have it's cherry popped. ;)
Ok you will have fun using a virgin USB port. It was a bit hard to put the USB cable in to popped it. The rubber was not helping either.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:56 pm

Maybe I should auction it's virginity to some rich Arab Oil Sheik, or rich Japanese business mogul?
--

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:27 am

B&M have modified the Luxos U to prevent the water ingress problems that some users had. Permanently attached control/charge lead now. Mine has been going fine in 24/7 use, rain hail or shine, since August.

Last edited by il padrone on Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:12 pm

il padrone wrote:B&M have modified the Luxos U to prevent the water ingress problems that some users had. Permanently attached control/charge lead now. Mine has been going fine in 24/7 use, rain hail or shine, since August.

Yup I noticed that when I just got my new Luxos U. Now I've got 2 of them both working. Due the new one I might do something to the old one to stop water trying to get into the plug...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:11 am

If you look closely, in this video Chris has mounted a Busch and Muller Lumotec IQ2 Luxos U on the handlebars using a Minoura camera clamp. For those looking at alternative mounting options this might be of interst. There is a bit of discussion over at Electric Bike Review.

I am guess the Minoura camera clamp is either this one

or more likely this one I guess

Andrew
Andrew

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:51 pm

I thought it may be an issue somewhere along the line and it has, one of the rear light terminals on my Luxos U has snapped rendering the rear light useless. I always winced when plugging the wires into the flaky terminals, justifiably.
Tried to solder the wire on permanently but it wouldn't have a bar of it :( May have to opt for the Eyck.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:09 pm

Crawf wrote:I thought it may be an issue somewhere along the line and it has, one of the rear light terminals on my Luxos U has snapped rendering the rear light useless. I always winced when plugging the wires into the flaky terminals, justifiably.
Tried to solder the wire on permanently but it wouldn't have a bar of it :( May have to opt for the Eyck.
Oh Darn. I've done the same almost. Mine is broken in half so can just stay on.
Contact the shop you bought it from to see about warranty if viable. If out of warranty, what I'd do is surgery :twisted: Crack the light open and start taking photos of the internals and soldering that broken male spade connector off and putting a better connection on....
Wires coming out ending in spade connectors about 2" out. Heatshrink on the outside to protect the spades from shorting out.

Those male spade connectors on the light are sooo flimsy....
Would have been better if they did have wiring coming out ending in larger spades which are stronger.

Interesting in the SON 28 documentation suggest greasing the spade connectors so I think they have had issues with people snapping them.

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:32 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
Interesting in the SON 28 documentation suggest greasing the spade connectors so I think they have had issues with people snapping them.
What sort of grease? I have to fight my SONdelux each time I want to take the connectors off it. I pulled a couple of wires out of the connectors early on.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:01 pm

wqlava1 wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:
What sort of grease? I have to fight my SONdelux each time I want to take the connectors off it. I pulled a couple of wires out of the connectors early on.
No mention of what sort of grease, I just put a smear of some some castrol boating grease on it. But I have also done the same as you and pulled out the connectors early on my Son 28 Classic as well. The new Son 28 the spades are further apart so it looks easier to grab the spade itself. Haven't had to test that yet, will be soon as I'll be checking out my wheels on my new bike soon.

B&M luxos U has a 2yr warranty so might be an idea to contact the shop you bought it from about trying to get warranty on it. One would hope if they do a newer version they drop those fragile spade connectors and hard wire some cable with spade connectors attached already.

DJIntegr8

Postby DJIntegr8 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:31 pm

Anyone upgraded from the IQ Cyo N plus to the new Premium?

I've been commuting with mine for nearly 3 years on 2 different bikes, always felt like it needed a bit more width and brightness when I'm away from the street lights. The reviews look good and the new optics seem to add the width that I'd like, about to hit the order button before winter really sets in..

Brendan

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:45 pm

DJIntegr8 wrote:Anyone upgraded from the IQ Cyo N plus to the new Premium?

I've been commuting with mine for nearly 3 years on 2 different bikes, always felt like it needed a bit more width and brightness when I'm away from the street lights. The reviews look good and the new optics seem to add the width that I'd like, about to hit the order button before winter really sets in..

Brendan
Yep.

It's much better. more brighter, more wider.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:58 pm

Thinking of dropping some cash on a IQ Cyo Premium myself and mating it with a View Brake Plus. Does anyone know if the View comes with the connecting cable or does that need to be ordered separately?
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:58 pm

rangersac wrote:Thinking of dropping some cash on a IQ Cyo Premium myself and mating it with a View Brake Plus. Does anyone know if the View comes with the connecting cable or does that need to be ordered separately?
Every dyno taillight I've ever bought (B&M seculite, secula, toplight, Spanninga pixeo) has come with cabling and crimps.

Either way, a trip to jaycar for some light gauge speaker wire will sort you out, or if you wanna get fancy, buy some coaxial mic cabling, easier to do internal runs with.

The philips lumiring has a better fresnel diffuser and also better side visibility, but doesn't have the brake light action.

The cyo premium (no DRL, no reflector model) is boss though

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri May 09, 2014 12:05 pm

Been running the EYC the last few days, not overly impressed, missing the Luxos U beam :/
Certainly not as panoramic as the U, I knew it wasn't going to be but I expected more, too narrow, doesn't put out enough light into the distance and puts too much near view.
Also missing the flood light option of the U allot. Standlight is very underwhelming on the EYC.
If I had my time again I'd buy the U hands down, even if it's 4x the size.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun May 11, 2014 7:10 pm

So today I got a suprise and was lucky it wasn't raining.
I've got the Luxos 179 U mounted on the front of my Surly Nice Rack.
My fork mount is blocked by my brakes so is impossible to use. I have 2 options on the Surly Nice Rack to mount it, I've chosen the very front mount. Anyhow on a dirt ride today went thru a few puddles. Bit later on I notice why I was lucky. There was dirt spatter on the rear of the light, so if it had been pouring with rain the rear of the light would have been drenched. I now need to make up a cover for the rear of the light.
Photos to come.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun May 11, 2014 8:08 pm

One solution possible for your problem is shown here. A section of old mudguard, overlapping the end of the front guard and fastened to the rack with a mudguard bracket. Very easy to do.
Mandatory helmet law?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun May 18, 2014 6:16 pm

Another solution devised by Just4thehellabout it. Bit of corflute cut
I'll have to see how it handles next Sunday's ride. 100km dirt ride and there will be missiles firing off my tyre in the form of stones. I will see if the corflute will handle those missiles.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun May 18, 2014 7:08 pm

Baalzamon, you may find value in reversing the mounting bracket, as has been done in the link I posted, to bring your Luxos back out of the tyre spray and make it less prone to getting bashed by a passing person/bag.

Mandatory helmet law?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun May 18, 2014 7:48 pm

[quote="il padrone"]Baalzamon, you may find value in reversing the mounting bracket, as has been done in the link I posted, to bring your Luxos back out of the tyre spray and make it less prone to getting bashed by a passing person/bag.

Tried it and with the reflector on the Luxos won't work.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun May 18, 2014 8:03 pm

Ah, the old 'pharoah's beard' :P

I have not used mine. If the light works the reflector is superfluous. If the light does not work I'm not riding at night till it does.
Mandatory helmet law?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun May 18, 2014 8:11 pm

Yep that lil mini beard. Flipping the mount around points the light into the sky and not on the road. Tried other mounts all with the same success rate of 0. Just4thehellabout it has heaps of different mounts which was tried.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun May 18, 2014 8:28 pm

I fail to see the point of the little beard reflector either.... :\

Possibly only actually required under some sub-section clause of the StVO laws that the lights are compliant to. Do the other B+M units have them, I wonder? A question for J4tH, I know. He owns enough of them ;)
--

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun May 18, 2014 8:40 pm

Yes, I believe it is a part of the German lighting regulations to require a front reflector. The Cyo and Fly that are able to meet the StVO regs each have a reflector on the light lens. Other lights like the Lumotec Plus are similar. The 60lux Cyo Senso Plus which doesn't meet the German regs does not have the reflector.

Mandatory helmet law?

DJIntegr8

Postby DJIntegr8 » Sun May 18, 2014 9:45 pm

DJIntegr8 wrote:Anyone upgraded from the IQ Cyo N plus to the new Premium?

Brendan
Picked one of these up, installed and test rode just then. Does everything it advertises and much more :shock: Wider, smoother beam, plus a distance spot as well. Also turns my mudguard into a phallic shadow..

Brendan