Cancellara hour record

warthog1

Re: Cancellara hour record

Postby warthog1 » Fri May 23, 2014 1:06 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote: Yes, the same bike set up was permitted for the pursuit (Boardman also set that record in 1996 with a 4:11.x, until Bobridge set a new mark in 2011 with 4:10.x).

Here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiM94C0nGW0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However what the UCI have done is to acknowledge the history, but have set the current mark to beat at Sosenka's 49.x km. Which means that many high level pro TT riders could set a new record, even if not near Boardman's record. Somewhat inconsistently though, the pursuit records were maintained and stood, while they decided to change the hour records.
That bike would in no way be considered legal under any current rules now though? If so I can sort of see why they have not included his time given that position and bike.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri May 23, 2014 2:02 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote: Yes, the same bike set up was permitted for the pursuit (Boardman also set that record in 1996 with a 4:11.x, until Bobridge set a new mark in 2011 with 4:10.x).

Here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiM94C0nGW0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However what the UCI have done is to acknowledge the history, but have set the current mark to beat at Sosenka's 49.x km. Which means that many high level pro TT riders could set a new record, even if not near Boardman's record. Somewhat inconsistently though, the pursuit records were maintained and stood, while they decided to change the hour records.
That bike would in no way be considered legal under any current rules now though? If so I can sort of see why they have not included his time given that position and bike.
The only reason I can see that it should not be reinstated, is if the new hour bike regs are not based on pursuit bike set up, but rather on current mass start bike set up (e.g Merckx style, but permitting aero frame and wheels as per current mass start bike regs, but not aero bars/helmets). The UCI press release is ambiguous on that point. It just says endurance events, it doesn't specify which endurance events.

Else it makes no sense. Why would they have kept his pursuit record all those years, but not the hour record now, if the new hour regs are to use pursuit bike rules? His WR pursuit and hour were done on same bike set up within about 10 days of each other.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri May 23, 2014 3:52 pm

I am with you Alex. Makes a bit of a mockery of the "record" that the first serious cyclist to attempt it should be the new record holder.

It also underscores just how good Borbridge's ride was in 2011.

And it is not like they are trying to keep out cyclists who are suspected of doping because (1) that would be a short list & (2) Sosenka got done before and after his record.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri May 23, 2014 5:07 pm

find_bruce wrote:I am with you Alex. Makes a bit of a mockery of the "record" that the first serious cyclist to attempt it should be the new record holder.

It also underscores just how good Borbridge's ride was in 2011.

And it is not like they are trying to keep out cyclists who are suspected of doping because (1) that would be a short list & (2) Sosenka got done before and after his record.
Merckx was also done for doping so that's hardly been a motivator.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat May 24, 2014 5:45 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote: Why would they have kept his pursuit record all those years, but not the hour record now, if the new hour regs are to use pursuit bike rules? His WR pursuit and hour were done on same bike set up within about 10 days of each other.

Yes that doesn't make sense :?
Then again this is the uci we're talking about. It wouldn't make sense if they made sense.
Dogs are the best people :wink: