Coffee Rides vs Racing

SquareWheels

Re: Coffee Rides vs Racing

Postby SquareWheels » Mon May 19, 2014 3:09 pm

nezumi wrote:I am also involved in a medieval re-creation group, so that takes up a decent amount of my time.

If anything, i would have a crack at CX racing, but right now I am scared of holding up the race too much too have a go.
not if you can get on the front with a broadsword :twisted: then they will be scared to overtake you
I got hit by a car that failed to give way once - it really hurt

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Mon May 19, 2014 4:03 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Can't you just join a club and not get a license?.
Yep. Recreational licence allows this. Fair difference in cost too so if OP's is game enough might need ask the people of his club that don't race whether they hold the appropriate licence to race, I'd probably just let it pass and be thankful the club has members. I don't really understand this thread, most local footy clubs will have supporters that buy social memberships to be apart of the club, majority are probably the volunteers that keep the club running.

TREKKER_MIKE

Postby TREKKER_MIKE » Mon May 19, 2014 7:30 pm

danny the boy wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:Can't you just join a club and not get a license?.
Yep. Recreational licence allows this. Fair difference in cost too so if OP's is game enough might need ask the people of his club that don't race whether they hold the appropriate licence to race, I'd probably just let it pass and be thankful the club has members. I don't really understand this thread, most local footy clubs will have supporters that buy social memberships to be apart of the club, majority are probably the volunteers that keep the club running.
The purpose of this thread is to find out what stops people from racing, what they would do to participate in the club (by way of volunteering) what they want from the club

I think it is BS that we have a good size club and the racers dont get good numbers, and the bunch riders don't get any benefit from the club except for buying team kit. I dont bunch ride myself, but i understand the culture and enjoyment of being out in the bunch and grabbing a coffee/ doing the social thing.

Does anyone here who belongs to a club have a club event they look forward to? (doesnt need to be cycling) could be paintball, pizza and beers? St Kilda have the Peleton Ball, which from what i read sells out. I know VIC is a different level of crazy when it comes to sport.
Professional rear gunner for "E" grade crit's

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon May 19, 2014 8:59 pm

TREKKER_MIKE wrote:
The purpose of this thread is to find out what stops people from racing, what they would do to participate in the club (by way of volunteering) what they want from the club
Well, Mike, and what have you discovered?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon May 19, 2014 10:05 pm

I really only like tt's. They seem allergic to them where I live now, don't run them.
CBFed doing endless handicaps and crits.

Blame tapatalk
Dogs are the best people :wink:

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon May 19, 2014 10:31 pm

I ride to get fit and maintain my fitness. I raced DH MTB for years and have the injuries as a result (Busted ACLs, arthritic kneecap, shoulder reconstruction). I like to group ride with a bunch of people I know and can trust with most rides being alone. I would love to race (crits) but the risks are too high for me. With our group rides I am a trained ride leader and sweeper and help out in other ways also, getting a race license without actually racing sounds like a waste of money.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Mon May 19, 2014 10:39 pm

warthog1 wrote:I really only like tt's. They seem allergic to them where I live now, don't run them.
Where is this? Just want to know so I don't accidentally move there! :shock:

TREKKER_MIKE

Postby TREKKER_MIKE » Wed May 21, 2014 8:31 pm

clackers wrote:
TREKKER_MIKE wrote:
Well, Mike, and what have you discovered?
Sweet FA.
Professional rear gunner for "E" grade crit's

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed May 21, 2014 9:48 pm

TREKKER_MIKE wrote:
Sweet FA.
TBH, Mike, people gave their answers and you still kept asking the question, as if you couldn't accept their validity.

If you're an office bearer at your club you don't seem to have the finger on the pulse of your members! :-)

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Wed May 21, 2014 11:18 pm

Do you run beginner races? Like much shorter distances or where no one who usually races is allowed to enter?
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

Parker

Postby Parker » Thu May 22, 2014 11:18 am

Mostly people don't race because they're unsure of what is expected of them in a race

- how much of a turn on the front to take
- going into a corner
- working together
- pace lines
- intimidation
- being unsure of their skills (are they good enough)

I've been told by people in Perth (men), that the idea of having a controlled race, where more experienced racers help guide a beginers race is stupid because when you show up to race you should be confident in your skills. This isn't true, the reason why we have lower grades is so people can learn and be guided as to what is appropriate behaviour in a race.

Do I need to give you flashy lights around that statement? That's aprt of the reason why people won't race is because there's no how to guide, and unfortuantly watching the TDF and Giro on tele isn't enough of a guide and neither is reading all the info, sometimes it's best to be shown how.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu May 22, 2014 11:15 pm

mikgit wrote:Do you run beginner races? Like much shorter distances or where no one who usually races is allowed to enter?
You need the more experienced guys there - these are the ones you learn from.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri May 23, 2014 12:50 pm

dalai47 wrote:
warthog1 wrote:I really only like tt's. They seem allergic to them where I live now, don't run them.
Where is this? Just want to know so I don't accidentally move there! :shock:
Bendigo

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri May 23, 2014 6:26 pm

Thanks warthog1. Local to you Castlemaine usually have a few each year...

Unfortunately if keen to TT anywhere in Vic you have to drive. I've often driven from Melbourne to past Geelong and even to Wangaratta for the day just race TT's; really depends how much you really want to race!

gplama took over the job of compiling TT's around the place from me a few years back - the 2014 list http://gplama.blogspot.com.au/p/time-tr ... rials.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri May 23, 2014 9:15 pm

I got spoilt in Mildura where the local club have them every tues afternoon in daylight savings and the occasional longer one on the weekend. I have heard of the Mt Alexander tt run by the Castlemaine club. Victorian vets have some coming up too I think. I need to get a licence of one or both persuasions, they have both expired.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sat May 24, 2014 11:47 pm

Parker wrote:Mostly people don't race because they're unsure of what is expected of them in a race
- how much of a turn on the front to take
- going into a corner
- working together
- pace lines
- intimidation
- being unsure of their skills (are they good enough)

Been racing for a couple of years, and yes those were most of the fears I had, in the end I found out
how much of a turn on the front to take as little as possible, preferable none
going into a corner everybody corner's differently there is no right way or wrong way, just try and stay as close as possible to the wheel in front.
working together it is a race you don't work together, you co-operate with others to achieve a goal. ie chase a break, get away in a break. You use minimum effort for maximum result
pace lines raced probably 100 times, never even seen a half decent paceline in a race, it is disorganised chaos (see above comment)
intimidation don't be, you are not racing for sheep stations, most racing is a fun social event
being unsure of their skills if you can ride a bike for an hour, you can race, there are no special skills or abilities require (BTW that was my big fear).

Back to the OPs question, it depends they may have a silver licence which gives them insurance (and ability to ride time event) but not a gold licence (required to race).

Our club has a social group which rides a couple of times a week and a race group and I am sure none of the social group race. They want something very different from their riding.

Most of our new racers come via Saturday morning shop rides There are three different shops, but all have a few racers of varying levels in them. People quickly realise they can race too, after a few rides and a couple of hard sprints with people who race.

So back to the original question, I would get a couple of the regular racers to go on the coffee ride a few times and see if people want to race. Failing that, go out to the other local group rides and start riding and talking with non racers and try and convert them.

The only guided races I know are the junior race Peel puts on before most races (not the climbing handicaps). Where the juniors go out a do a lap of the course (8 to 10km) under supervision of experienced racers and then sprint the last few hundred meters. If somebody wanted to learn the basics of racing, I am sure they could tag along on the race to watch and learn.