Postby rkelsen » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:26 pm

munga

Re: The Campagnolo Thread

Postby munga » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:43 pm

thanks, mate. perfect!

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:03 pm

Munga. I'm assuming you want to run campy dual pivot brakes. If so don't forgery that the max reach is about 50mm. Most old race frames that run traditional nut and bolt brake calipers will usually require a caliper with a reach of 52 to 62mm.

munga

Postby munga » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:10 pm

yeah thanks for the reminder. all pie in the sky at the moment. 8)
i just went out and trial fitted some single-pivot calipers (39-49mm) and there's ample adjustment.
Last edited by munga on Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:18 pm

You can get dual pivots in a long reach/nutted caliper. Not Campy, but they work pretty well.

Cheap too: http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/57-75 ... rake/MX806

:)

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:40 pm

yeah, i got a set of nutted tektro dual pivots at gear. you'll find them definitely.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:48 pm

Looking for a vintage Record front derailleaur. 7/8 speed. Plenty on eBay, never seem to win one???
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

toff

Postby toff » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:24 am

Mustang wrote:Looking for a vintage Record front derailleaur. 7/8 speed. Plenty on eBay, never seem to win one???
Do you need one that clamps around the tube, or one that bolts to the brazed-on attachment?

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:02 pm

toff wrote:
Mustang wrote:Looking for a vintage Record front derailleaur. 7/8 speed. Plenty on eBay, never seem to win one???
Do you need one that clamps around the tube, or one that bolts to the brazed-on attachment?
Finally got one. Many thanks.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:21 am

Finally getting around to getting parts (mixed NOS/used), to equip the Pegasus to my 'requirement'. I have a SunTour soft-spot. :oops: It's a bit irrational, but there it is... I have an almost-new pair of Cyclone calipers which will be going on. The Campo calipers will be surplus-to-requirement. I know almost nothing on that stuff. I'll list here on BNA initially, or access a swap of some sort within Retro, maybe. I have started to deal with the corrosion visible, but they'll need further attention when they come off.
Without going into $$ values, on a scale of 1~10, where would they sit on the desirability scale?

Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:40 pm

In the world of campagnolo brakes I'd say about 6/10 mostly because of their condition. In the world of Campagnolo a 10/10 would be delta brakes. 9/10 would be Cobalto super record calipers and 25 anniversary super record calipers. 8/10 would be Chorus monoplaner's or pre-CPSC record calipers.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:46 am

Thanks. I'll just put them in a swap listing when the time comes.

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:48 pm

These are the '3rd generation' Super Record / Record calipers, introduced C1983. The script Campagnolo branding, rather than block letters, and 'conical' pivot bolt locknuts are the way to identify these. They are not that easy to come by it seems, specially when you are looking for a pair to complete a full house Campag bike from 1983 to 1985. The condition is not great but as long as the anodising on the arms is Ok, the rest of the hardware can be cleaned up or replaced. 3rd Generation is what I call them, not sure if they have an official name.
Warren

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:55 pm

More good info. Thanks. The era fits with the bike, I think. Must have been bought with them on.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:11 pm

Wanted:
Campy toe clips for standard Campy pedals.
Cheers Brent
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:21 pm

Mustang wrote:Wanted:
Cheers Brent
Plenty on eBay.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:09 pm

RonK wrote:
Mustang wrote:Wanted:
Cheers Brent
Plenty on eBay.
In the event of toe clips,& a lot of other Campy stuff I seem to need, eBay is full of overpriced NOS, or rusty relics, & expensive shipping to match, hence my request here for someone you can trust.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:37 pm

Available:
New Veloce 111mm bottom bracket, Italian thread, fitted but not used, due to wrong size.
$25.00 plus post
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

Dan

Postby Dan » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:38 am

Mustang wrote:Available:
New Veloce 111mm bottom bracket, Italian thread, fitted but not used, due to wrong size.
$25.00 plus post
this could be of use to me later today - I'll PM you

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:37 am

Mustang wrote:Available:
$25.00 plus post
Still available.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon May 12, 2014 9:33 pm

Old thread i know but after doing a search this looks like the best spot to ask. Has anyone here used a Valentino or Valentino Extra rear derailleur? I'm thinking about using one on my Tom Wallace as it fits the look i want (it originally had a SunTour Honor which will do but i'd prefer something that looks a bit older and smaller). Obviously i've heard all about what an awful thing it is but really, how bad can it be? I'm not bothered if the shift is clunky or slow just so long as it stays in gear.

And on that note, any clamp on single campag shifters available? not seeing many on ebay. EDIT: found some Simplex ones going cheap, will a Campagnolo lever fit on a Simplex boss?
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue May 13, 2014 6:49 am

Valentino's are on the bottom of the Campagnolo food chain. They shifted OK but your Suntour will shift better. As Frank Berto once said, "Campagnolo derailleurs shifted poorly but they did so forever". For best shifting I would avoid a freewheel with a sprocket smaller then a 13 and with nice even steps. A 14/24 would be nice.

I think the Simplex shifters use a different boss. I only have had experience with are the retrofriction ones and they certainly use a different boss, but they usually come with an adapter which slides over the top of standard/Campagnolo bosses.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Tue May 13, 2014 3:12 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Valentino's are on the bottom of the Campagnolo food chain. They shifted OK but your Suntour will shift better. As Frank Berto once said, "Campagnolo derailleurs shifted poorly but they did so forever". For best shifting I would avoid a freewheel with a sprocket smaller then a 13 and with nice even steps. A 14/24 would be nice.

I think the Simplex shifters use a different boss. I only have had experience with are the retrofriction ones and they certainly use a different boss, but they usually come with an adapter which slides over the top of standard/Campagnolo bosses.
+1
I used a Valentino for while back in the day when nothing better was available and it was OK over a 14-26 block.
Baulked a bit going up to the 26 but was better than the plastic Simplex which was the other choice in the spares box. :roll:
Quickly got replaced by a Suntour V when I could afford it which was heaven by comparison
I have a Valentino 'Extra' in my collection which has an extended top to the outer cage plate, I assume to assist with shifting up the block.
http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Cam ... lleur.html

Re the levers SSS has it right a period Simplex lever will not fit directly onto a Campag band-on boss.
However I am pretty sure I have a right-sided single Campag clamp-on band and lever somewhere, If you are interested drop me a PM.
Cheers
Richard

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Tue May 13, 2014 8:56 pm

frailer5 wrote:Finally getting around to getting parts (mixed NOS/used), to equip the Pegasus to my 'requirement'. I have a SunTour soft-spot. :oops: It's a bit irrational, but there it is... I have an almost-new pair of Cyclone calipers which will be going on. The Campo calipers will be surplus-to-requirement. I know almost nothing on that stuff. I'll list here on BNA initially, or access a swap of some sort within Retro, maybe. I have started to deal with the corrosion visible, but they'll need further attention when they come off.
Without going into $$ values, on a scale of 1~10, where would they sit on the desirability scale?

Yeah I knows its an oldish posting, but Any chance of another pic of the Pegasus ? :wink:
Was only talking about these on the Abeni-Europa thread the other week.
When in doubt......mumble.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun May 25, 2014 7:12 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Old thread i know but after doing a search this looks like the best spot to ask.
a) where to get "G" (aka index) springs at a decent price? (LBS wants $20 each) I want to have a spare set at hand but not for $80.
b) anyone know which bolts in the original "brifters" (8-speed) are left hand thread?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ