Front Pannier Racks

Biking POD

Front Pannier Racks

Postby Biking POD » Wed May 21, 2014 6:48 pm

Hi Team!

Long time listener, first time caller! Thanks for all the grouse info, it's been most useful!

Anyways, looking for some FRONT pannier racks to suit a bike with disc brakes. I can find a few but none say that they will suit a bike with disc brakes.

Please help!

Cheers now!

il padrone

Re: Front Pannier Racks

Postby il padrone » Wed May 21, 2014 8:19 pm

G'day :)

Tubus Tara or Duo may be able to be fitted with a front disc. Easiest with hydraulics* but may work with cable also. It will all depend on where your rack mounts are, and easier if you have dual mounts with one on the front of the fork blade.

* I should say that with nearly all hydraulic disc-brakes you will not need disc-adapted racks at all. The disc calipers are generally quite narrow and do not protrude to interfere with the rack mount or struts.

Surly Disc-Trucker running F&R cable discs and Tubus Cargo and Tara standard racks.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Konatourer

Postby Konatourer » Fri May 23, 2014 7:18 am

No problems fitting a Tubus Tara to a Kona Sutra. A spacer may be needed on the mounting bolt but that is to give clearance over the fork legs. I have Avid BB7 cable brakes. As il padrone said, dual eyelets on the bottom of the fork legs may help.

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Sun May 25, 2014 12:43 pm

I'm in the same spot, looking for front racks compatible with mudguards and discs for my current Soma Double Cross build.

I'll probably be running TRP Spyre mechanical discs, which are a bit slimmer than others, I hear, but I predict some bending of the stays will be required as per the pics Il Padrone posted above. The Soma fork has both front and rear eyelets. The Tubus Tara seems like a popular option.

My issue is that this bike will be my daily rider, and I don't want to run the racks unless I'm going on a "tour". As such, I'm looking for a solution where the mudguards attach to the rear eyelets, and the rack can go on and come off when I don't need it.

Any ideas?

E

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sun May 25, 2014 1:06 pm

Hasn't there been a total recall of TRP Spyre mechanical disc brakes?

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/12/ ... ers_310996" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Espresso_

Front Pannier Racks

Postby Espresso_ » Mon May 26, 2014 8:50 am

Yep - I'm all over it, thanks. Back to the racks ...

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon May 26, 2014 1:26 pm

Surly Nice Front Rack can handle disc brakes easily on the surly line. But they are heavy compared to the tubus line, but much more versatile.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Mon May 26, 2014 9:06 pm

Thanks Baalzamon

I had seen the Surly rack - looks hardcore! Maybe a bit of overkill for my one/two night aims, but will keep it in mind.

E

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon May 26, 2014 9:47 pm

If your doing a one/2 night trip, rear panniers only should suffice. Only need front panniers if for an extended tour. I would only use front panniers for 5 days or more unless I had issues with water supply and bush camping. ie not having a water supply for 2 days would see me carrying 16L of water

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Mon May 26, 2014 9:59 pm

My plan is to ride with front panniers rather than rears.

At the risk of hijacking the thread....

Its the advice I've been given by a lot of people lately, in terms of improving weight distribution and handling. It was also provided by the place where I got my bike fit done recently, given the top tube height for the bike I'm building is very high, and I may have difficultly mounting and unmounting with loaded rear racks.

E

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon May 26, 2014 10:49 pm

Maybe do bikepacking instead?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon May 26, 2014 11:07 pm

Having travelled this way, I can confirm that front low-rider panniers, with a racktop bag or saddlebag is a very stable way to ride. Well-placed front panniers can barely influence the steering (apart from the added inertia). Avoid high-rise mounting though.
Mandatory helmet law?

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Mon May 26, 2014 11:26 pm

il padrone wrote:Having travelled this way, I can confirm that front low-rider panniers, with a racktop bag or saddlebag is a very stable way to ride. Well-placed front panniers can barely influence the steering (apart from the added inertia). Avoid high-rise mounting though.
Great. Add another one to the list of "the advice I've been given by a lot of people lately".

Looks like I might take a chance on the Tubus Tara ...

E

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue May 27, 2014 9:53 am

Good tip IP,
I put a basket on as well as the panniers, that are now a permanent feature, but the centre of gravity is not a help when I put 6 kg in the basket. Fortunately it is seldom needed. :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Tue May 27, 2014 11:31 am

These Pass and Stow racks look interesting (and expensive). They seem to fix on the front fork eyelet, leaving the rear eyelet free for mudguard stays - perfect for my use. Plus they look sweet.

But should I be concerned that the mounting point for the panniers is too high?

E

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 30, 2014 12:40 pm

I recently completed the last two days of the Munda Biddi Trail here in WA, riding from Collie to Donnybrook with just front panniers. Had no handling issues.

Andrew

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:44 pm

The more I look into this, the more it seems I should just stick with the Tubus Tara.

This photo shows the kind of mounting that I'm looking for, avoiding the rear eyelet/mudguard mount:

http://cyclingabout.com/wp-content/uplo ... 002-PM.jpg

E

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:39 pm

It might be better for the straight forks (if you have these forks) as the rear placement would tend to cause the rack to be angled down forwards. Normal curved blades place the upper mount further rearwards in relation to the dropout. The only downside is that your panniers will sit 2-3cms further forwards, away from the steering axis, thus a little less stable.
Mandatory helmet law?

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:04 am

I have this Soma fork, which is in fact curved:

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-377369925495 ... gold-3.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, it looks like the rear eyelet option might still involve the same issues that you raise.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:18 pm

Espresso_ wrote:These Pass and Stow racks look interesting (and expensive). They seem to fix on the front fork eyelet, leaving the rear eyelet free for mudguard stays - perfect for my use. Plus they look sweet.

But should I be concerned that the mounting point for the panniers is too high?

E
I don't have an opinion on the pannier height but I would remind you about the Pass n Stow rack being painted cromo and its rust issue when the paint gets scratched which it undoubtably will.
I think its a very attractive rack but for this quality.
If I was looking at something similar, I'd carefully consider some of the stainless options like the Velo Orange Porteur rack as an less attractive but more utilitarian and not to mention cheaper possibility.
http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/ ... -rack.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:05 pm

Just to round this out, I've ordered the Tubus Tara rack, along with some Ortlieb Front Roller Plus (ie non-PVC) panniers.

I'll report back on fitting issues once I've had a chance to get them on the bike (which would require the bike itself....but that should only be a matter of a week away).

While I was at it, I managed to get a pair of SKS Longboard mudguards in the order for the same all-up price as Wiggle et al. I ordered from Bike24 - let's see how the shipping times go.

E

Warin

Postby Warin » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:28 am

The German post is slow. Expect 2+ weeks. Probably 3.

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:45 am

Warin wrote:The German post is slow. Expect 2+ weeks. Probably 3.
Yep - not expecting it any time soon. Need it in 5 weeks, so let's see how I go!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:34 pm

rifraf wrote:I would remind you about the Pass n Stow rack being painted cromo and its rust issue when the paint gets scratched which it undoubtably will.
My son is using my old frame that has some scratches and scrapes that date back to 1997. They have a patina of surface rust, which has not changed, intensified nor worsened since about 1998.
Mandatory helmet law?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:27 pm

il padrone wrote:
rifraf wrote:I would remind you about the Pass n Stow rack being painted cromo and its rust issue when the paint gets scratched which it undoubtably will.
My son is using my old frame that has some scratches and scrapes that date back to 1997. They have a patina of surface rust, which has not changed, intensified nor worsened since about 1998.
Well I wasn't advocating the expense of a stainless steel bike frame but merely suggesting the possibility that some appreciate rust free racks.
I like my bike and don't mind spending money on good accessories if they enhance its use.
For my aesthetic taste, rusty racks look scruffy and detract from a bikes appearance compared to either freshly painted or chrome/stainless finishes.
Its merely my personal taste and not one that needs to be followed.
Knowing myself, I tend to take better care of something thats nice to begin with, so purchase accordingly.
Your tastes and idiosyncrasies may vary and I think thats fine too (for you)
I see no problem favouring form and function as they don't have to be mutually exclusive. :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.