The new and interesting touring gear thread...

Leaf T

Re: The new and interesting gear thread...

Postby Leaf T » Sat May 24, 2014 1:22 pm

Hi Ip,

I saw them in the LBS a while back and they are HUGE. I like the idea but for now I'm happy with the shin skinning DMR V8's. I recall mixed reviews of them at the time and they were expensive.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat May 24, 2014 3:10 pm

Andy wrote:The Led lenser is a head lamp that does get used for touring and camping Ron.

WIth the greatest respect, 200 lumen headlights are not the norm in a campsite, well none of the ones I have shared for years and given that headlights are often shining in other people's eyes I hope you use a more suitable light in the company of others.

Something like the popular Black Diamond Spot is 90 lumens and even with that care needs to be taken around others. Clearly the TorchGlo is not designed to used with a 200 lumen light ...

Andrew

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sat May 24, 2014 3:42 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Andy wrote:The Led lenser is a head lamp that does get used for touring and camping Ron.

WIth the greatest respect, 200 lumen headlights are not the norm in a campsite, well none of the ones I have shared for years and given that headlights are often shining in other people's eyes I hope you use a more suitable light in the company of others.

Something like the popular Black Diamond Spot is 90 lumens and even with that care needs to be taken around others. Clearly the TorchGlo is not designed to used with a 200 lumen light ...

Andrew
Another link below in case the first one was missed, it has a variable output and the beam pattern is adjustable too. Oh and it tilts up or down. It's perfect for my needs and fellow campers have commented positively on it too. It charges from usb so I can use my dynamo hub but haven't had to do that yet.
http://www.amazon.com/LED-Lenser-880022 ... B0053GW9QE

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun May 25, 2014 8:34 pm

I recall Ronk early post on a USB charger which had five ports at 8 amps IIRC. This looks like a possible alternative with four ports at 9.6 amps (2.4 amps per port).

Andrew

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Mon May 26, 2014 10:57 pm

soma lights that plug in to handlebar ends

http://store.somafab.com/soroflbarend.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(available locally http://www.scvimports.com.au/lights-c-43.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Go!Run!GAH!

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Tue May 27, 2014 11:11 am

Touring cyclists in NSW not being able to access water at water tanks at roadside rest areas, is a bit of an issue, I'm again reading. Tanks without handles are often the case in both NSW Nature Reserves and NSW National Parks, now unfortunately.

This small brass tool (65x65x20mm weighs a hefty 102g), is a 4-way Vandal Proof Tap Key. It isn't new or particularly interesting but it fits on 4 different tap stems. At Bunnings they are about $9, at Reece they are about $12. There is plenty of scope to lighten the tool by drilling it out of course. I keep meaning to reduce the size of my tool.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

Davidkmendel

Postby Davidkmendel » Tue May 27, 2014 7:56 pm

Just bought a Source Whistler 20-25l hydration pack from Wildearth for $59.50. Which is a very good price. Includes 3L bladder.For those who are interested. And its cycling specific. These are normally in excess of $130.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu May 29, 2014 10:03 pm

cycle clothing from china
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?Sea ... 0529035526

Can management explain why if I post from the Al express site it comes up as Spam.I buy off this site and had no problems with them.

Members, I have reported my own post to see what is happening here.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu May 29, 2014 10:10 pm

outnabike wrote:cycle clothing from china wholesale
Nothing new about this site. There is already a long running thread about it.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Fri May 30, 2014 9:27 am

outnabike wrote: Can management explain why if I post from the Al express site it comes up as Spam.I buy off this site and had no problems with them.
It's in the language filter, from memory we used to have huge problems with spammers posting links from there in the past so we added it to the filter to stop the links from working. I edited it to be a code link which will get around it for the moment, will ask the boss to take it out of the filter.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sat May 31, 2014 3:05 pm

I'm going to purchase one of these soon...great little storage bag for under the down tube with no bottle eyelets required and very secure...can be custom made to fit Nalgene bottles of various sizes too...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat May 31, 2014 8:11 pm

Wingnut wrote:I'm going to purchase one of these soon...great little storage bag for under the down tube with no bottle eyelets required and very secure...can be custom made to fit Nalgene bottles of various sizes too.
Do you have a link?

Thanks
Andrew

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sat May 31, 2014 8:34 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Wingnut wrote:I'm going to purchase one of these soon...great little storage bag for under the down tube with no bottle eyelets required and very secure...can be custom made to fit Nalgene bottles of various sizes too.
Do you have a link?

Thanks
Andrew
http://www.bedrockbags.com/shop/honaker-hydro-pack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:22 am

This may be of interest to the Rohloff riders ...

Shiftezy electronic shifting for Rohloff.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:23 am

Thanks Wingnut.

Andrew

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:01 pm

Aushiker wrote:This may be of interest to the Rohloff riders ...

Shiftezy electronic shifting for Rohloff.

Andrew
It's pretty good technology. I went and visited him at his home a couple of years back. Edwin's a really competent engineer - he's built his own light plane that was there in the garage being maintained, as well as having an electronics business. I sat on the recumbent that's in the ad mounted on an indoor trainer and used the gears. You need to use an extra click to change direction shifting, compared to the last shift. He had a prototype Alfine 11 unit as well, but Shimano's own unit has kiled that I suppose. I'd have put a protective bar around it, like that you can get for a few bucks to protect your rear derailleur. The switches can be made even much less obtrusive than shown above - a pressure switch under the bar tape on each side, just below the brake lever. With just a smallish battery there is enough charge for a few tens of thousands of shifts - maybe not enough to go on a several month tour with no charger but heaps for all forseeable usage. Needing a control box up near the stem and a battery under the seat is a bit messy for the wiring - which could be tidied maybe. He was even working on a gear indicator with 10 lights because 14 is not available as a standard package. He said there was European demand for that feature - but they just need to ride them a bit more and feel the gears. He has some sort of blessing from Rohloff to produce these. I can understand people putting these electronic shifters in place as one of the better drop bar solutions, but in the the end I got a GB shifter.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:17 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Thanks Wingnut.

Andrew
I tried ordering one online today Andrew but they don't appear to have international shipping set up, I've left an email with them so hopefully they can get it sorted asap...

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:49 pm

Not the latest tech but a few years ago I bought one of these little devices for charging batteries from Amazon(not shipping here now :( ) and it's been a great little charger for phones and cameras. It's about 2/3rds the size of a matchbox and weighs almost as much a muesli bar wrapper. Just line up the contacts and plug into any usb (or ewerk) and off it goes. I've used it on long tours and not been very careful with mine so managed to damage it but it still works. At about $14 it's a gem.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LENMAR-PPUCL ... 2339fea352

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:04 pm

More details at http://www.thepowerpot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What can I say ...

Andrew

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:21 pm

Cool idea but I can't see it giving a substantial charge in the time it takes to cook a meal.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:46 pm

These look handy for around the campsite etc...

http://www.niteize.com/product/Figure-9 ... -Small.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:33 am

Wood Fired Stove & USB Charger - a bit big for cycle touring, but an interesting concept.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bi ... newsletter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:12 pm

The Critter CR2 multifuel backpacking stove stand.

At just over 3.5" wide, 3.5" tall, and is just under 2oz (51g) the CR2 is one of the smallest and lightest multifuel stands available to backpackers. When folded up the CR2 is only .375" (9.5mm) thick at the tabs and .1" (2.5mm) thick at the rest of the stand. Compatible with Sterno, Trangia Spirit, various pop can stoves and natural wood fire you cannot find more versatility in such a small package. Simple operation, open the stand using the easy open tabs and place your stove of choice, no assembly required.

More information for those interested at Kickstarter.

Andrew

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:08 pm

Not really new but I decided to try a BROOKS Cambium saddle and put my B-17 on my girlfriends bike...feels pretty hard just sitting on it stationary but will give it a go...it does have more fore and aft adjustability.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:23 am

That's the Cambium C17, there's now a narrower version for racing called C15 and there'll be a slotted version of the Cambium C17 coming out soon. Leather good, rubber better?