NSW: Commute Route - Baulkham Hills to Chatswood

dajackal

NSW: Commute Route - Baulkham Hills to Chatswood

Postby dajackal » Thu May 29, 2014 10:12 am

Hi All,

Just wondering if you guys can help me figure out the best route to get from Baulkham Hills north (near the commerical zone in Castle Hill) to Chatswood?

I prefer quieter roads and not confident cycling in 60+ zones without bike lanes. For 60+ zones I typically ride on the footpath.

I've looked up the bicycle NSW cycleway finder, and it doesn't seem very reliable. e.g. it doesn't have the M2 as closed to cyclists citybound.

Should I take this alternate route instead?
http://www.hillsm2upgrade.com.au/files/ ... 130815.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But with that route I worry about going up Delhi Rd to Chatswood. Would it be safer to go through lane cove national park instead?

thanks a tonne

SheikYerbouti

Re: NSW: Commute Route - Baulkham Hills to Chatswood

Postby SheikYerbouti » Thu May 29, 2014 11:33 am

I'm looking at the reverse, Chatswood to Baulkham Hills (specifically, Excesior Rd bwetween Baulko Stocklands and Castle Towers). Heading west is easy - Chatswood - Artarmon on marked lanes, seperate Epping Rd Cycleway to Delhi Rd, then M2 bike/breakdown lane to Windsor Rd... but then where?

dajackal

Postby dajackal » Thu May 29, 2014 12:23 pm

So you avoid Delhi Rd completely by going via Artarmon onto Epping Rd? Any tips on how to get to Chatswood?

No bike lanes on Windsor Rd around the M2/Old Northern Rd as far as I know...

You could turn off M2 at Pennant Hills road and then take the backroads and cut over to Castle Hill via West Pennant Hills and Castlewood Community Reserve. I go a similar way when I ride home from Pennant Hills.

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Fri May 30, 2014 10:54 am

Try this, longer distance but one bike paths and lanes. https://goo.gl/maps/e3YWj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:54 pm

If you don't want to ride Delhi Rd (and I completely understand your reluctance having driven it many times - and I wouldnt want to ride it either).

I would suggest going through the national park as a much flatter ride (have done that once, and found it quite nice).
You could then go up Fullers Rd (quiet part) instead of Milwood (the busy side).
You can ride part of Fullers on the footpath (shared and marked) up to Park Ave, then turn in and go up Centennial Ave.

Going up Mowbray road will be a tough climb from Epping Rd (not sure how much tougher than the cycleway though, from a car, it would seem quite steep to ride)
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc