Supernova E3 Terraflux lens

RonK

Supernova E3 Terraflux lens

Postby RonK » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:30 am

Does anyone have one if these?

I've never noticed before, but mine has a recess in the lens, and I'm wondering if a part may have been lost when the wind blew the bike over recently.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Re: Supernova E3 Terraflux lens

Postby il padrone » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:18 pm

I have two Supernova E3 headlights, both with the concentric lens. They both have simple flat glass lens, although I have seen pictures of a version of the lens that has a hole or recess in the centre of the lens. Don't know why ??

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:37 pm

Yeah, that's how it looks, the same as the picture, so I guess a recess is standard.
I thought the lens just had an iris in the centre, but now a little dust has collected, it's obviously a recess.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 29, 2014 1:37 pm

Bumping this thread as I am considering a Supernova E3 E-Bike v1260 for a conversion. The E3 E-Bike uses the same Terraflux lens I believe, well the Terraflux 2 now days. So if any one has experience with the lens would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks
Andrew

m@

Postby m@ » Thu May 29, 2014 1:52 pm

Looks identical to the Airstream lens, which is excellent.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu May 29, 2014 2:38 pm

The Terraflux lens gives a brighter, more focused beam. I kinda wish I had bought the E3 Terraflux.
Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 29, 2014 2:46 pm

m@ wrote:Looks identical to the Airstream lens, which is excellent.
Thanks. That is good to know given the $.

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu May 29, 2014 3:33 pm

BTW, why not get the Luxos E ??

It's the B&M light for e-bikes and has 60 lux output with a 120 lux high beam.
Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 29, 2014 4:28 pm

il padrone wrote:BTW, why not get the Luxos E ??
Because (a) is it not available to purchase from any retailers to my knowledge (check the link ... not available and they do not ship to Australia anyway), (b) Peter White indicates it is only being sold to OEMs and (c) Busch & Muller actually no longer list it as a model on their e-bikes lights page which is not a positive sign in my view. They do offer some other variants including the 80 Lux IQ Cyo but as they state these are not readily available but may be ordered in.

All that said I have asked Starbike if they are able to get them in.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 29, 2014 6:09 pm

From the Busch & Muller options the LUMOTEC IQ Cyo T (Item 175Q75/6TSNE-07) looks promising but finding a seller is proving difficult. Best I have come up with is a Amazon Germany retailer who will supply one for a landed price of EU149.90 or $220. It may be a bit cheaper if the VAT is deducted but playing in German I was not willing to go to far in the check out process.

This variant is a 70 lux, with day time running lights and auto sensor.

The Supernova E3 E-Bike Mini or V1260 is EU163 or $239 and offers 205 lumens of light.

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu May 29, 2014 6:30 pm

Ah, well maybe just get the new Edelux II (90lux) ?

But did you try Starbike for the Cyo T? Their price seems extraordinarily good. Or here for just 46 Euro. 80 lux rating.
Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 29, 2014 8:04 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Pete but those later lights are all dynamo powered lights. Dynamos have AC power whereas the power from the e-bike battery is DC and there does not seem to be such a thing as an inverter that is suitable for a bike, that will convert my 36 V DC to 6 V AC.

So I have two options (well three): (1) Put a decent German e-bike light on the bike which is what I am searching for at present; (2) run a dynamo and hence the dynamo light I have or (3) fit a DC-DC converter which I have and cut and re-wire my Dinottee 400L to use the bike's battery (easy to do).

I would prefer not to do (3) as I would like to keep these lights as Audax spare lights etc so that leaves (1) or (2). (2) would be fine, but seems silly to not use the power already on board plus I then need another dynamo wheel medium term at least (I can use my existing one, swapping between bikes if I have to for the short term). I may go (2) if there is no good option in the short term.

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu May 29, 2014 8:07 pm

Ah, yeah. Forgot about that ac/dc issue :|
Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 29, 2014 8:08 pm

il padrone wrote:Ah, yeah. Forgot about that ac/dc issue :|
So did I until I was told yesterday. Had planned to finish the wiring this weekend .... :oops:

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu May 29, 2014 8:21 pm

Funny thing however - I have the Supernova E3 on my road bike. I have read that it outputs DC to the tail-light, and according to Peter White, will only run with the E3 tail-light. But I have had it set up with the B&M Seculite for the past 5-6 years, all running very nicely with no concerns. So an AC light can work with DC power, or not ???
Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 29, 2014 9:15 pm

il padrone wrote:Funny thing however - I have the Supernova E3 on my road bike. I have read that it outputs DC to the tail-light, and according to Peter White, will only run with the E3 tail-light. But I have had it set up with the B&M Seculite for the past 5-6 years, all running very nicely with no concerns. So an AC light can work with DC power, or not ???
The Supernova lights as I understand have an inverter or some form of electronics which allows for the output of a DC current. There are some Busch and Muller tail lights that are DC powered or can work on DC power ... you might be just lucky as well that it has not burnt out over time. I understand that I can run my Luxos on DC power, the question is for how long before it dies.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 30, 2014 8:14 pm

After endless reading and searching I have managed to narrow down my choice and locate a German retailer offering Busch & Muller lights which are e-bike compatible and at prices which are cheaper than the Supernova options. The two I am considering are the:

(1) Lumotec IQ Cyo T which has IQ light technology, daytime running lights, sensor and 70 lux. The beam is the top one in the graphic I believe.

(2) Lumotec IQ Cyo which has IQ premium light technology, no daytime running lights and no sensor but is 80 lux. The beam is the bottom one in the graphic below.

Given this is being powered off the e-bike battery I am not concerned about running the lights all the time so not convinced the sensor or the daytime running lights are significant benefit so it really comes down to the beams. Thoughts or experiences on the beams? I am inclined to go with the IQ Cyo Premium but open to suggestions.

Thanks
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 30, 2014 8:41 pm

Also just got an email from http://starbike.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; re the Luxos IQ2 179E ...

no sorry - the E-Bike version is definitely not any more available.

There goes that option.

Regards
Andrew

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Fri May 30, 2014 9:04 pm

I've got the IQ Cyo Premium T Senso Plus in transit from Starbike at the moment, so I can give you some feedback in a couple of weeks (hopefully!) if you aren't in too much of a hurry to order.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat May 31, 2014 12:51 pm

rangersac wrote:I've got the IQ Cyo Premium T Senso Plus in transit from Starbike at the moment, so I can give you some feedback in a couple of weeks (hopefully!) if you aren't in too much of a hurry to order.
Thanks but hope to get this sorted this weekend if possible.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:14 pm

Order placed this evening for a Busch & Muller IQ Cyo Premium model no. 1752Q42/6N0491. This is the 80 lux version sans the daylight running feature. I was able to to get it from a German retailer, Elektrofahrrad24 who where willing to update their shopping cart to allow orders from Australia and to lower their shipping cost form €42 to €29.95 which is what Starbikes.com charge now. Ended up costing €104.85 which is a bit high compared to the likes of http://bike24.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but they couldn't get them, nor could http://starbike.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will be interesting to see how they pan out. Hopefully worth the dollars and the light spread is as indicated.

Andrew

Zcootz

Postby Zcootz » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:53 pm

Given that a LED light needs DC at the LED itself I suspect that the dynamo based lights would run an AC to DC converter internally. Having built a few circuits converting AC to DC you can feed DC into them without too many dramas. I've just built a iPhone charger for my dynohub and connected it to a DC source for testing before I connected it to the bike with no problems.

With the e-bikes the voltage would be the biggest issue, 36v into a light expecting around 6 will start cooking things.

I would be sending an email to the manufacturers asking if the light would be ok with a 5v DC source. I suspect it would but see what the manufacturer says first, don't email me if you've toasted your light. Converting 36v DC to 5v DC is a doddle.