Bare Creek Bike Plan – YOUR Help Needed

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bare Creek Bike Plan – YOUR Help Needed

Postby AUbicycles » Tue May 27, 2014 3:09 pm

Spread the word... and email for a dedicated cycling facility on the northern beaches.
This is a copy of the info from the Manly Warringah Cycling Club page
--------------

Do you want a purpose built bike park on the Northern Beaches – one that is dedicated to mountain biking? We need your help and a call to action to pick up your pens and write to some politicians. This is your opportunity to ensure that the Northern Beaches has a dedicated off road bike riding facility, but it won’t happen unless you show your support. Without your action, this facility will be doomed. The Council vote is on May 27 so don’t delay!

The issues behind the Belrose Bike Park are now starting to firm up. There is a DA for its use as a bike park and Council will be meeting on the 27th May to vote on whether it will support the facility – at present it does not have the required number of votes. The issue at the heart of this is that current estimates indicate around $200k of annual costs for maintenance and Council are reluctant to take on further recreational costs if there is little perceived support from the community.

The park and its trails will be designed to best practice and while not rivalling Stromlo will be an exciting venue. The costs of construction of the trails will be met out of the budgets for the Belrose tip site remediation budgets. There is the prospect of a substantial downhill and cross country bike facility being established. It isn’t often that a 35 hectare site comes onto the market.

Map of the proposal is shown above. It essentially involves various trails of varying difficulty from beginner to advanced. A more indepth report can be found at this link: http://media.wix.com/ugd/149690_96e6c98 ... e6cee3.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The positives for the facility are:
1- It will be the only dedicated mountain biking and CX facility in the Sydney Metropolitan area of any length. (There is a small park in Hornsby)
2- It will be able to cater for all types of riders and permit club and open mountain bike and cyclocross races.
3- It will be a facility that can be used by schools for training as part of their sports programs.
4- It can be used by bike suppliers and distributors for Demo days within a controlled space.
5- The Park has the potential to have facilities including toilets, retail, cafe/coffee van, mountain bike club house and storage facility.
6- The park will encourage riders off exiting illegal trails.
7- The park has the potential to link into the Manly Dam / Bantry Bay trails and link via Cascades trail.

It is important that club members write to council and to all councillors to support this proposal, otherwise it will be fenced off and mowed 6 times a year with no public access. This will mean that the growing number of riders will be forced to use the dwindling available trails for their off road riding. If we do not show our support for this project, it is currently doomed for failure.

The Northern Beaches has no purpose built cycling facilities. With space at an absolute premium on the Northern Beaches this is the only viable proposal in the short and long term. If we lose this option, there are very few other options in the future.

The potential size and uniqueness of the facility will make it a draw card for riders from all over Sydney, but it needs your support – we aren’t asking you to give up a weekend, just your time to pen a letter of support to Council. This will be a place for children to learn to ride and adults to ride and race. Please show your support and spread the word.

Please email the Council:

Code: Select all

mayor@warringah.nsw.gov.au
vanessa.moskal@warringah.nsw.gov.au
wayne.gobert@warringah.nsw.gov.au
vincent.deluca@warringah.nsw.gov.au
sue.heins@warringah.nsw.gov.au
pat.daley@warringah.nsw.gov.au
bob.giltinan@warringah.nsw.gov.au
roslyn.harrison@warringah.nsw.gov.au
duncan.kerr@warringah.nsw.gov.au
jose.menano-pires@warringah.nsw.gov.au
Cycling is in my BNA

familyguy

Re: Bare Creek Bike Plan – YOUR Help Needed

Postby familyguy » Tue May 27, 2014 4:46 pm

I assume the Nobmob are onto this as well? Will be emailing in support.

If this gets up I'm going to have to buy a mountain bike!

Jim

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Thu May 29, 2014 1:35 pm

mailed in my response earlier and got an immediate and positive response from one of the councillors.

Reading the update over at rotorburn it sounds like it went better than we could have hoped for. Support from the council and a preference that it be run by mtb'ers not council.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:28 pm

I was chatting to the Mayor of Pittwater... interstate who provided an update that it was not actually approved however is proceeding with the idea that the Manly Warringah Cycling Club take over management. The question was that after the initial cost, there will be ongoing maintenance costs that the council (or vocal councillors) don't want - so it makes sense to 'privatise' it somewhat. Obviously that opens the question... how to generate income as a paid mountainbike park limits revenue especially if it isn't a vert park or massive downhill park. It isn't impossible... but isn't easy.
Cycling is in my BNA

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:34 am

Some bright spark at the Manly Daily put the article up with a picture of one of the MWCC members in full road kit, which naturally resulted in the inevitable roadie-rage towards the idea. Clearly not many commenters actually read the article to discover the contents. The ongoing cost is an issue which would need resolution, certainly, but perhaps a grant for several years of maintenance and upkeep could be sought once operational and proven to value-add to health of the area?

Jim

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:01 pm

I thought I'd provide some follow-up on this.

Three Councillors supported Warringah Council taking it on. The mayor and his majority bloc torpedoed it.

The basic thrust was "we're not touching it. If you reckon it's such a good idea go talk to government about it yourself."

Now I understand not wanting to be involved with a past landfill site. You have no idea what nastiness has been dumped in there.

But we've been working with WAMC (the govt arm tasked with the handover) for more than 5 years and under some pressure from Council to be involved despite our early resistance.

Now it's 6 months to go before it's shut, and they now tell us they're not going to be involved, and never were.. A big surprise to us. Couldn't have been better timed to ensure failure.

Of course the mayor made a fine speech of how outstandingly professional we all are and capable of doing it with State government, (I even rated a mention specifically) and we should take it on directly and avoid entanglement with Council bureaucracy.

The gallery all bought the spin. They had no idea the Council just killed it. There's no way we can get this moving inside 6 months. After 6 months WAMC moves all it's equipment off site and project costs go up a million dollars. There goes the maintenance piggybank.

The upside was witnessing a turd polishing act from the mayor, the quality of which I've not seen below federal politics. He did a superb job of getting the punters in the gallery to think he was doing us a favour.

I see a shiny future for him in State or federal politics if he chooses to pursue it.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:14 am

Very disappointing result TG. Such a pity. Do you think it was a risk thing?

There's a football oval down the south coast that's built on a landfill/tip site and the number of grazes that turn very nasty is rather high. Different sports, granted, but council must have got cold feet for some reason.

Jim

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:05 pm

Nothing to do with cold feet. It's always about politics and money. This seems to have been sniped...for some time. Wonder what they want?
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:50 am

Why are the maintenance costs $200k? what's involved?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?