Practical commuting attire.

ozstriker

Practical commuting attire.

Postby ozstriker » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:18 am

I have only just started commuting. My commute is between 15-20 km depending on my route, I have to say I feel a bit of a goose dressing up in full lycra to just cruise into work especially with a backpack on. But then again I would feel a bit weird riding anything else considering I'm riding a venge haha.

If I was to wear a t shirt and just wear knicks under shorts would my shirt get too wet from sweat. How do other people go wearing non lycra.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

SheikYerbouti

Re: Practical commuting attire.

Postby SheikYerbouti » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:27 am

There are lots of suitable options.
You can get a basic easy fit (not race tight) jersey like this: http://www.anaconda.com.au/Product/Bike ... tum-Jersey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I even wear soccer jerseys sometimes or running tshirts like this http://www.rebelsport.com.au/Product/Ch ... From=20101" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That way you get the wicking and benefit of technical clothing without the poser problem.
Sports shorts over the knicks is pretty normal too.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:35 am

:mrgreen: :shock: I think anyone who wears tight fitting lycra outfits when they are not involved in a road-racing or touring event look like gooses. It reminds me of the guy who gets dressed up in all the gear in that insurance advertisement then rides 200 metres to reach the shop....

Like the previous response good quality sports shirts like running gear and bicycle shorts with padded inner liners are just the shot for everyday riding. :)
OI onya bike!!!

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:35 am

I have 3 pairs of cell bibs and a pair of cheap china bibs that I ride to work in (30km). If wearing the cell bibs I just throw on any old t-shirt or MTB jersey and be on my way. If wearing the china bibs (because they are quite thin) then I throw a pair of shorts over the top. Add a pair of long johns and/or a thermal undershirt if it's cold in the morning.

If wearing a "normal" cotton t-shirt then I find that it is still a bit damp with sweat at the end of the day, which is rather gross lol. Been meaning to buy more "technical" shirts for the fast drying/wicking properties...

At the end of the day though - honestly, nobody but you cares what you're wearing. If you feel most comfortable in the lycra then by all means wear it, otherwise throw on whatever you feel comfortable in.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:57 am

I'm not a racer, and I'm not a fan of tight clothing. I have a couple of MTB loose fitting jerseys to commute in or other sports shirts, most recently for about $15 from aldi. Cotton shirts do take extra long to dry out from the sweat, but the MTB jerseys or the aldi sports shirts dry out nice and quick. I generally wear padded MTB shorts, or some running shorts. If it's an extended commute, over about 45min I might wear some knicks with running shorts over. All quick drying material so it can be hung up and worn again for the commute home.

If I'm out for a ride with the kids it will be whatever clothing I've been wearing around the house and change the shirt when I get back if the kids have pushed me hard enough.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:01 am

I wear lycra for my commute. ..cell bibs and what ever cycling Jersey I grab. ...I find the cycling Jersey breaths better than a t-shirt and drys a bit quicker... Although it still smells bad when I put it on for return leg.
When I was touring I wore cycling under pants under shorts to combat chaffing

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:23 am

Personally I find lycra to be highly practical, especially in winter where I need to layer up to keep just warm enough without sweating. I don't use a backpack so jersey pockets are brilliant for carrying the essentials. Lycra is also great for wet weather riding. My work clothes live at work in a locker, so I guess I'm lucky in that I have been able to ditch the backpack/panniers which take a significant amount of pleasure out of the ride.

Just wear whatever is practical and works for you. Don't worry about how you look...

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:42 am

I bought some cheap $5 shorts from Big W to go over my knicks so I get the comfort of padding but don't look like a total goose :) Basic unlined shorts with no pockets, just a single layer of synthetic material.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:50 am

MTB Shorts (DHB on Wiggle make good ones that are not too loose) and running shirts for me. Not sure why lycra makes people look like a goose though, bit sick of these types of comments- Lycra is functional and comfortable for cycling just like speedos are the best for swimming.

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:07 pm

CXCommuter wrote:MTB Shorts (DHB on Wiggle make good ones that are not too loose) and running shirts for me. Not sure why lycra makes people look like a goose though, bit sick of these types of comments- Lycra is functional and comfortable for cycling just like speedos are the best for swimming.
Im of the same frame of mind. I don't understand how an article of clothing used for its intended purpose can make one look like silly or a 'goose' as it were to some.

I am all for functionality and comfort over what someone else thinks of me. If the OP prefers to wear lycra, so be it, if not, so be it. I'm not going to call him/her a goose for choosing either way. Different story if they were to wear something not suitable for the activity.
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:13 pm

I find bib-knicks and jersey highly practical for my 15-30Km commute. If I were travelling less than 5Kms I wouldn't bother, but I would also opt for an upright bike with a chain guard.

As it is, when I commute I tend to try and ride hard(ish), so sweating happens and lycra works for me.

That said, I also have my work clothes kept at work, so my backpack usually just contains jocks and socks, plus pump/tubes/multitool/keys/wallet.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:47 pm

Given you are wearing a backpack, anything you wear is probably going to get a bit warm and sticky. As others have said I'd go a running type singlet/ shirt as you don't need the rear jersey pockets, and if you are worried about the look of knicks just chuck a synthetic set of running shorts over the top.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:04 pm

CXCommuter wrote:MTB Shorts (DHB on Wiggle make good ones that are not too loose) and running shirts for me. Not sure why lycra makes people look like a goose though, bit sick of these types of comments- Lycra is functional and comfortable for cycling just like speedos are the best for swimming.
A firemans helmet is quite functional if you are a fireman fighting a fire and tight fitting lycra cycling clothing is functional if you are involved in road racing, track or touring competition. If you are not involved in either and you wander about wearing a firemans helmet or amble out on a nice quite and social ride or commute on your bicycle - you look like a goose.
OI onya bike!!!

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:06 pm

What if you're riding your bike in a quiet and social manner to a road racing, track or touring competition and happen to pass by a burning home? What are you supposed to wear then?

Wear whatever you're comfortable in. Let others wear what they're comfortable in. I don't get why you'd care what anyone else is wearing...

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:07 pm

WarbyD wrote:What if you're riding your bike in a quiet and social manner to a road racing, track or touring competition and happen to pass by a burning home? What are you supposed to wear then?

Wear whatever you're comfortable in. Let others wear what they're comfortable in. I don't get why you'd care what anyone else is wearing...
A firemans helmet.....
OI onya bike!!!

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:39 pm

I wouldn't want to run into a burning building with lycra on... Fireman's helmet or not.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:49 pm

I commute 25km each way. Attire is Endura 6-Panel Mesh Liner, MTB shorts over the top. Standard cycling jersey (quick dry), plus MTB SPD shoes/cleats.
The only Lycra is the mesh liner shorts, and nobody can see those. Other than the bright coloured jersey, I look like any other commuter. The early morning joggers have more Lycra than me!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:53 pm

lobstermash wrote:I wouldn't want to run into a burning building with lycra on... Fireman's helmet or not.
LOL you da man......
OI onya bike!!!

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:35 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:A firemans helmet is quite functional if you are a fireman fighting a fire and tight fitting lycra cycling clothing is functional if you are involved in road racing, track or touring competition. If you are not involved in either and you wander about wearing a firemans helmet or amble out on a nice quite and social ride or commute on your bicycle - you look like a goose.
Yeah, I can't stand those people who wear basketball clothes for a pick up game, or who wear joggers when they go running. I mean, you'd think they wanted to have clothing that suited the purpose of their activity or something!

For my money, I already have cycle kit, I ride far enough to work up a sweat on a ride and want to be comfortable while riding and I have no need for superfluous modesty when my arrival at work consists of: Ride down car park ramp > Lock bike up > Walk to change rooms > Shower and get dressed in suit, leaving cycling kit in locker > Go to desk.

There is no benefit to be gained by me wearing a t-shirt instead of a jersey, or MTB shorts instead of bib-knicks.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:47 pm

Gordonhooker wrote: A firemans helmet is quite functional if you are a fireman fighting a fire and tight fitting lycra cycling clothing is functional if you are involved in road racing, track or touring competition. If you are not involved in either and you wander about wearing a firemans helmet or amble out on a nice quite and social ride or commute on your bicycle - you look like a goose.
Well I am working on a fire brigade team for the Spring Cycle, so we might be able to mix both...

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:29 am

I don't like the look of lycra, but it is practical and it is made for purpose so if people want to wear it that's their choice. We all make our own choices. Wearing lycra on a bike sure makes more sense than a large football jumper worn by someone who can't play football.

But the original question is what to wear when not wearing lycra. I commute about 12-16KMs in and about 20KMs home. I wear a T Shirt and shorts (just normal shorts with pockets) and have no problems. On hot days I wear a bike jersey but the rest of the time T Shirts are fine. I actually wear old T Shirts, they start as casual attire, then become bike attire and lastly end up as rags which are generally used to clean the bike. Much use can be made of a decent T Shirt.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

HiChris

Postby HiChris » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:01 am

Wear whatever suits your commute and riding habits, if you can do 15k's in summer without sweating up a storm then tshirt and shorts may suit. My commute is 35k's of mainly up and down rolling hills and I ride it as a training run so it's lycra. Mate from work rides 30k's in his business clothes on an e-bike, suits his riding. No fun getting holes rubbed in your bits by wearing the wrong clothing.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:28 am

nezumi wrote:
Gordonhooker wrote:A firemans helmet is quite functional if you are a fireman fighting a fire and tight fitting lycra cycling clothing is functional if you are involved in road racing, track or touring competition. If you are not involved in either and you wander about wearing a firemans helmet or amble out on a nice quite and social ride or commute on your bicycle - you look like a goose.
Yeah, I can't stand those people who wear basketball clothes for a pick up game, or who wear joggers when they go running. I mean, you'd think they wanted to have clothing that suited the purpose of their activity or something!

For my money, I already have cycle kit, I ride far enough to work up a sweat on a ride and want to be comfortable while riding and I have no need for superfluous modesty when my arrival at work consists of: Ride down car park ramp > Lock bike up > Walk to change rooms > Shower and get dressed in suit, leaving cycling kit in locker > Go to desk.

There is no benefit to be gained by me wearing a t-shirt instead of a jersey, or MTB shorts instead of bib-knicks.
Hey you can wear what you like within reason - doesn't mean you won't look like a goose though... :mrgreen:
OI onya bike!!!

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:28 am

SheikYerbouti wrote:
Gordonhooker wrote: A firemans helmet is quite functional if you are a fireman fighting a fire and tight fitting lycra cycling clothing is functional if you are involved in road racing, track or touring competition. If you are not involved in either and you wander about wearing a firemans helmet or amble out on a nice quite and social ride or commute on your bicycle - you look like a goose.
Well I am working on a fire brigade team for the Spring Cycle, so we might be able to mix both...
Hey good on you - sounds like an excellent plan.... :)
OI onya bike!!!

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:31 am

DavidS wrote:I don't like the look of lycra, but it is practical and it is made for purpose so if people want to wear it that's their choice. We all make our own choices. Wearing lycra on a bike sure makes more sense than a large football jumper worn by someone who can't play football.

But the original question is what to wear when not wearing lycra. I commute about 12-16KMs in and about 20KMs home. I wear a T Shirt and shorts (just normal shorts with pockets) and have no problems. On hot days I wear a bike jersey but the rest of the time T Shirts are fine. I actually wear old T Shirts, they start as casual attire, then become bike attire and lastly end up as rags which are generally used to clean the bike. Much use can be made of a decent T Shirt.

DS
Yep that is pretty much what I do with old T's - I wear them in the milder weather up here in Brisbane, when they worn out they make good polishing rags or workshop rags for cleaning up parts etc.
OI onya bike!!!