Re: In an accident?

KonaCommuter

Re: In an accident? You need to know this.

Postby KonaCommuter » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:32 pm

Is it possible to say "Yeah, well, whilst I"m without my bike I'll take a taxi at your expense"
2012 Oppy A4

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:50 pm

Do you have to deal with the insurance company? they aren't the ones that knocked you off your bike...

embee8

Postby embee8 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:51 pm

Glad to hear you aren't too sore and did not suffer much damage. A broken bike can be replaced.

I was knocked off my bike in December by a driver when I had right of way. No breaks, taken to hospital for observation and just a few bruises, sprains and cuts. Bike was totally broken.

The insurance company of the guy who hit me finally accepted liability but it took quite a few calls and letters and following procedures. Having xmas and New Year in the middle of this certainly extended the time frame to get this to completion.

But my insurance company was not involved. Is GIO your insurance company or the guy who hit you?

Make sure the person liable, though their insurance, provides you with a replacement bike!

My collision occurred in Perth so may not totally be replicated to any area, but if you want some info let me know.
Trek Domane 5.2
Giant CRX4

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:41 pm

Wow - seriously bad news mate.

Is there any suggestion the undiagnosed issue is related to or caused by the first incident?

Either way, I really hope things turn for you soon.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:45 pm

That's terrible news Oxford. I'd been thinking of you recently, wondering how it had all ended up.

Hopefully you can get back to work so you don't get shafted by the process.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:41 pm

Rhubarb wrote:Is there any suggestion the undiagnosed issue is related to or caused by the first incident?
That's what I thought too. :|

I dislike insurance companies and their insistence on trying to get out of paying needed money using any loop hole they possibly can.

I read your blog the whole way through just then, Oxford/ThatOtherGuy/Sean. Thank you for sharing it with us and I hope your injuries heal up and don't give you pain for the rest of your life. I love your attempt at breaking land speed records with the mobility scooter. Have you gone higher than the 11kph mentioned or are your mobility scooter racing days over? :P

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:31 pm

Terrible news Oxford.

As the others have said, really hope things work for you.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:01 pm

Hi Oxford, thanks for taking the time to let us know how you are. After reading your journal, I am just glad you are still with us.

I have always enjoyed reading your accounts & am in awe of your openness in expressing the difficulties in keeping the black dog at bay. The fact that you can talk about it gives me hope both as to how far we have come in addressing depression & on a personal level it gives me great hope that you will be able to continue to keep the dog chained up.

Cheers

Bruce
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:16 pm

Jeebers!

No sense in you buying any raffle tickets for a while Ox. Heal quick and do your best to shoot the dog.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:36 pm

Reading your story makes me glad I sold my Suzuki SV.

I know my wife was happy the day it went. :)

One license disqualification for excessive speed was enough. Looking back i just shudder thinking about all the close calls I've had on motorbikes as a result of my and other people's actions. I should of died numerous times but luckily never came off.

I seriously don't miss it. I would rather ride my pushie up Mt Mee or Glorious than ride another moto.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:45 pm

all the best Ox. it's easy to feel sorry for yourself in those situations and i wouldn't blame you one bit, but from where i'm sitting, i'm in awe of your strength. no one could go through all of that and be unaffected. keep fighting mate and stay on the rehab path - it is/will be worth it! keep us updated too. it's strangely inspiring to read about how you cope with all that. just keep it up, you're slowly winning.

jdawsoner

Postby jdawsoner » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:33 pm

I recently got in a small accident and my mistake was not calling the cops. This was my first time , so I did not know what to do, although I think the driver was at fault. I went searching online and before finding this post, got some clues from this article : What to do if you are on a bike and got hit by a car . Has some good tips , such as :
"If you said to a witness “I didn’t see the car before it hit me” the insurance company hears “I wasn’t paying attention”. If you said “the car must have moved into my lane to hit me” the insurance company hears “ I wasn’t in my lane when the car hit me”."

halfmanhalfbike

Postby halfmanhalfbike » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:49 am

jdawsoner wrote:I recently got in a small accident and my mistake was not calling the cops. This was my first time , so I did not know what to do, although I think the driver was at fault. I went searching online and before finding this post, got some clues from this article : What to do if you are on a bike and got hit by a car . Has some good tips , such as :
"If you said to a witness “I didn’t see the car before it hit me” the insurance company hears “I wasn’t paying attention”. If you said “the car must have moved into my lane to hit me” the insurance company hears “ I wasn’t in my lane when the car hit me”."
so basically keep your mouth shut and don't say a thing...

I was told to never apologise regardless of what happened (because it will appear as if you have accepted responsibility)

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:24 am

is this case you're arguing the one where Mr Tosspot ran you over from behind - and you have the video evidence to show him ranting and raving and honking and gesticulating at you that you were going to keep for "when the time came?" Did the time ever come? did he poop his pants at seeing that? I guess that might be useful in upping the offer if you have got it all on film?

Oh to have been a fly on the wall when that happened.

its sad that you've had to put up with 3 years of crap through just for simply just being out on a bike.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:10 pm

that's sad ox - but even the paths is better than nothing.

now - are you able to (or willing to) share that piece of absolute gold with us? :twisted:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:20 pm

Hey Oxford, thanks for stopping by. Good to hear your account of the process that hopefully most of us won't become familiar with.

I am glad to hear you got a settlement you can live with & more importantly that things appear to be working out for you better than I had feared. Are you riding a conventional bike or have you had to take some other approach ?

Cheers

Bruce
Anything you can do, I can do slower

skull

Postby skull » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:51 pm

Thanks for responding ox.

You still riding at all now?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:35 am

Glad to hear you got a positive resolution to it, Ox, but very sad to hear you won't be on the road anymore.

skull

Postby skull » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:39 am

Glad to see you are getting back onto a bike.

Best wishes.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:34 pm

That is shocking footage. I seriously can't believe there would be much legal wrangling over lane position.

You were in the lane, right where you were entitled to be, and that driver was just an utter moron.

I sincerely hope that out of the extensive legal process the driver eventually got what was coming to them. I'll leave it at that. Thankyou for sharing that as I know it has been a long and painful recovery for you.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:26 pm

Hmmm. I don't have much to say except I understand why you've decided to restrict your activity on the bike, and that every religion in the world is based on the idea that justice will be done. As a Christian, that means fire and brimstone for the driver. A curse upon them.

I'm really interested to know where this situation was in any way your fault. We have the traditional assumptions that the vehicle at the rear is responsible always because you can't do anything to slow them down.

Godspeed young man. I can only shake my head and hope you really stuck it up them.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:37 am

Dear God. They hit you deliberately.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:37 am

I'm amazed that there was any dispute as to who was at fault. :shock: The motorist deliberately rammed you. They clearly could have braked to avoid a collision. A custodial sentence is appropriate in this circumstance.

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:24 am

Oxford wrote:In the end we can argue on these forums back and forth about our own personal interpretations of the road rules. The real test is if you have the conviction to stand behind those beliefs and can back up those convictions with solid reasoning and evidence in a court of law.

RESPECT. Kudos +++++

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:52 am

Oxford wrote:The police were unaware of the video footage. As a result the charges were for traffic violations only.
Did the police ever become aware of the video footage? What I saw on that footage was not an accident. It was a deliberate attempt at running you off the road, and whilst I try to place faith in humanity and say that the poor skill of the driver is why they ultimately hit you, I think there needs to be an attitude test when getting a licence. That driver clearly failed that test.
I think you are generous in only wanting a 30 month suspension. I think drivers like that should be deemed unfit for driving and be denied a licence for life.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi