I ate McDonalds

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
casual_cyclist

Re: I ate McDonalds

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu May 29, 2014 6:59 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Except that people don't drink water anymore ... I only drink branded drinks!
Tap water for me... usually filtered though but I don't drink any water out of a bottle. Not that I am a water snob. It's more that I can't be bothered.
<removed by request>

lardass71

Postby lardass71 » Thu May 29, 2014 7:09 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
anttismo wrote:I reckon that's a myth. Not the buns full of sugar - that' seems true, but eat 1000 Cal at maccas and I don't feel hungry shortly after. I feel normal. You believe hard enough and anything is true for you :)
In a way I agree with you that 1000 kcals should full you up no matter where it comes from, even of you feel sick. My personal theory on this is that all the sugar makes you spike and all the salt makes you very thirsty... So you start to crave very quickly when the blood sugar levels start dropping and you mistake your thirst for hunger ( pretty common problem ) ... So you eat again.
it's the refined sugar that causes the problem, it's a mixture of sucrose and glucose, the body doesn't recognise fructose unless it's in fruit with all of the good bits that go with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu May 29, 2014 8:11 pm

I ended up eating again when I got home, so on this evening the burger, soft drink, chips wasn't enough
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Farmer Elvis

Postby Farmer Elvis » Thu May 29, 2014 10:59 pm

If I eat a meal at maccas 20 minutes later I feel like I've swallowed a brick, I definatley don't feel hungry, lethargic would sum it up

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Fri May 30, 2014 10:03 pm

" it's the refined sugar that causes the problem, it's a mixture of sucrose and glucose, the body doesn't recognise fructose unless it's in fruit with all of the good bits that go with it"

Absolute dribble gobble talk.

1. Sucrose is MADE of glucose AND fructose.
2. Most sports drinks have cane sugar as their first ingredient aka sucrose aka glucose AND fructose.

Saying that the body can't use fructose unless its with fruit and therefore can't be used is like saying you picked up $100 off the ground but you can't use it cos its not in a wallet...

Try this experiment for yourself. Take 100g of sugar per hour in your drink bottle as your only fuel. Go ride 100 or 300km. Why did it work? Cos your body CAN use fructose as fuel in the absence of fiber.

Robert Lustig is the obesity expert who is obese himself and is going around saying the fructose is the cause of obesity. He says fruit is 'OK' if you have less than 2 pieces a day and make sure you load up on bacon and eggs cos that is what is slimming.

Meanwhile banana boy here resembles my pet greyhound and Lustig resembles my neighbours overweight pug.
Vegan since 2001.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:40 pm

durianrider wrote:
lardass71 wrote:it's the refined sugar that causes the problem, it's a mixture of sucrose and glucose, the body doesn't recognise fructose unless it's in fruit with all of the good bits that go with it
Absolute dribble gobble talk.

1. Sucrose is MADE of glucose AND fructose.
2. Most sports drinks have cane sugar as their first ingredient aka sucrose aka glucose AND fructose.

Saying that the body can't use fructose unless its with fruit and therefore can't be used is like saying you picked up $100 off the ground but you can't use it cos its not in a wallet...

Try this experiment for yourself. Take 100g of sugar per hour in your drink bottle as your only fuel. Go ride 100 or 300km. Why did it work? Cos your body CAN use fructose as fuel in the absence of fiber.
Yes, your body can use fructose as fuel in the absence of fiber but I'm pretty sure that's not what lardass71 was saying. I'm pretty sure when they say "the body doesn't recognise fructose unless it's in fruit with all of the good bits that go with it" they are talking about feeling full. So, if I just drink your sugar water to get enough calories, am I going to feel full? Nope! I am going to feel hungry all day and get a nice vitamin deficiency to go along with it. My friend up north got scurvy recently. She eats lots of sugar but not enough fresh fruit because it doesn’t grow where she lives (central desert).
durianrider wrote:Robert Lustig is the obesity expert who is obese himself and is going around saying the fructose is the cause of obesity. He says fruit is 'OK' if you have less than 2 pieces a day and make sure you load up on bacon and eggs cos that is what is slimming.
Personally, I think that fruit limit thing is absolute garbage. When I got really strict with my diet to lose 30 kg, I was eating 5 to 7 serves of fruit a day minimum. Fruit is fantastic and fills me up. I do think there is an issue if people eat too much refined sugar though. I think the issue is that if the sugar comes in cakes, biscuits, ice cream, chocolate and other desserts, then people find it easy to overeat and that’s when they get fat. I’ve certainly done that. Not bacon and eggs required… coz I’m a vegetarian.
<removed by request>

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:25 pm

On Saturday I ate at Hungry Jacks, it was 3pm and I hadn't had lunch having competed in the Sydney Road Titles, it was quick and convenient, but my choice was poor;
- $2 burger
- $2 Sunday
- $1.50 coffee

I doubt there was much protein in the burger, suppose you get what you pay for

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:00 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
I doubt there was much protein in the burger, suppose you get what you pay for
17.3g (assuming it was a cheeseburger)
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:40 pm

Looks like I can repair my body by eating 10 cheeseburgers a day

anttismo

Postby anttismo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:52 pm

Throw in 3 or 4 large thickshakes and you'll only need about 6 cheeseburgers to fullfil you protien. And you'll also reduce salt intake from "ridiculous" to only "huge." And the thousands of extra kj will keep you powering through those spin classes :)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:22 pm

Salt is such a cheap product that its used in quantity to make cheap ingredients taste good

Aussiebullet

Postby Aussiebullet » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:30 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Looks like I can repair my body by eating 10 cheeseburgers a day

Shite! 173g of protein per day how heavy are you? you don't look all that heavy.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:14 pm

80kg, so that's a max of 176gms :)

Aussiebullet

Postby Aussiebullet » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:43 am

mikesbytes wrote:80kg, so that's a max of 176gms :)

Oh that makes a little more sense, when I seen you at Nationals and the Wagga Wagga Classic last year you looked lighter than that but I guess your fairly tall, even so 2g p/kg would be 160g and most body builders and gym rats including me when I was powerlifting do extremely well with 2g p/kg.
BTW are you entered in this years Wagga Wagga Classic RR?

From everything I've researched the max amount of protein any athlete needed or could sustain was 2.67gm p/kg and that was for guys who had to maintain a huge amount of muscle mass like heavy weight body builders/powerlifters and strongman competitors etc,
Most other strength based athletes do very well with 2g p/kg of body weight and endurance athletes need not more than 1.5g/kg and upping that to no more than 2g/kg during very intense periods of L5/6 work but especially blocks of L7 neuromuscular work.

According to Sdeer who posts over at Roadbike review forum and works and studies in the field of sport science and nutrition and happens to race bikes too, it takes at least ~25g of protein to switch on muscle synthesis immediately following heavy training and how much protein you consume p/day plus total calorie intake for the day will dictate weather you maintain, gain or loose muscle, fat or both.
Due to the massive amount of calories I eat everyday I only make sure I get ~ 25g post W/O and that's it, the 90-100g of protein p/day that I need comes from eating carb heavy foods to fuel my training in the form of fruits vegies grains nuts seeds and any dairy I might consume from tea, coffee, cheese etc.

This supports 600 - 1300 TSS with the avg being ~900 TSS or ~300 - 800km p/wk of racing and training.
At 75kg I used to consume 150g protein but wanted to loose muscle and fat and weigh ~65kg so I just made sure to consume ~90g of protein and at least 25g immediately post training and enough carbs to support my training, this resulted in a 1500cal a week reduction in calorie intake from protein alone and now at 65kg peak power is virtually the same. FTP is up, 5 - 30's power is down a little but still trumped by a massive power/weight increase.

From my experience excess protein leads to excess weight, be it stored as fat or muscle it just wasn't contributing to performance so off it went.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:22 am

Before I was a racing cyclist I use to log my diet, but I don't anymore

I'm not particularly concerned with calories as my job as a spin instructor deals with that.

AIS recommends 1.5gms. I'm more interested in the frequency as it only lasts 4 hours

I don't do any endurance train so I suck at races longer than an hour and I'm not happy with my road handicap, it seems to of been confused with my track handicap.

Haven't entered Wagga this year, I've got a 6 week old baby, but I will get to something, perhaps Mudgee, need to do something before the masters champs

Aussiebullet

Postby Aussiebullet » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:51 am

Firstly Mike CONGRATS on your new addition to the family. 8)

I don't need to log diet either, after 2 decades of logging nutrition everything is stored up top & I couldn't forget it if I tried, during the day I just run through my day's food intake and keep a general log of calories and macro's in my head, it's just an old habit and one I enjoy, after all I am a numbers geek, proly why I luv training with power so much.

I hear ya on the frequency part even more important if yer very active during the day, I'm eating every 1hr - 3hrs, if I've gone 4hrs without eating my mood and energy levels start to swing too much when under heavy training loads and being active all day recovery is hampered..... and it shows up big time when training with power and is quite apparent.

My mistake on thinking you were an enduro roadie, just that I've seen you at heaps of long ass Open Hadicaps all over NSW.
Sucks that your handicap is too savage, I know what it's like to be underdone or the one struggling in your bunch, doesn't make racing handicaps worth it and as a result people just stop entering some races which is not good for the sport. Handicappers must have an incredibly hard task, pretty sure you can ask to have it reviewed, Alex Simmons might have a better idea on how to go about it.

Can't wait for NSW masters champs, it's in Griffith and new format looks awesome and should draw more people in with the RR on the Sat and THEN the crit then the TT which suits me waaaay better and for the first time I'll doo all 3 events
really excited about it!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:10 am

I replied last night but the post isn't there, perhaps I closed down too early

Raced track yesterday and did pretty good

I've only done one road training ride this year and I can't see it happening again for a while. End result is that I'm good for about an hour and that's it. Discovered that Mudgee has been cancelled so now I'm regretting not entering Wagga. Not sure when I'll have another opportunity to road race.

I'll be at the NSW's. The reason for having the ITT on Monday is that the Aussies start on Friday in Balarat, so you can choose to hang around. I always enter all 3 and the order doesn't bother me

Aussiebullet

Postby Aussiebullet » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:19 am

I see, well we are definetly different animals. Two 5hr road rides with sprint training/fatugue resistance work tacked on at the end Thur & Fri. ~290km 600TSS.
Sat off/easy spin on the stationary and a splitt session Sunday with VO2 and AWC work ~160 TSS
More sprint work today.
An SST/L4 splitt session Tuesday then rest up/easy till Friday so I'm fresh for wagga classic Saturday.

You'd school me on the track I'm sure of that, unless I give in and spend some time at Mcdonalds :mrgreen:
I've never set foot on a track and never slung my leg over a track bike but that will change after I acclomplish a few more things on the road.

No local or interclub club races up there to dip your toe into to tie you over?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:23 pm

The problem is that to do a long ride or a race means giving up my only rest day, which is Sunday. In May I had one rest day, though I'm doing better in June had a rest day already.

One option is to do a crit on Sat afternoons, I have a spin class Sat mornings, but that way I still get a Sunday rest. However that's not endurance.

Back on topic, how bad is the salt in fast food for athletes who sweat a lot and I mean indoor sweat? One persons view was that you didn't need much more than the general population

Abby

Postby Abby » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:47 am

I was recently told about the "Noah's Ark" burger option at Maccas. Apparently, you go in and order a 'double beef & bacon', then get them to add a grilled chicken fillet to it.

So cow, chicken and pig (which I'm guessing is the 'Noah's Ark' play on words) all in the one burger... I'm intrigued - gonna try it out... :-)
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

Sweeper59

Postby Sweeper59 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:25 pm

I was in Paris recently, and went to a hamburger joint called 'FROGBURGERS'. While they don't serve frogmeat, the waitress was kind enough to tell us that the hamburger patties were normally served 'rare', and suggested we may prefer to have ours well done. I'm glad she told us, because I watched some pretty thick patties being cooked for about 30 seconds. I'm not sure how many calories were added by the blue cheese sauce - but it was delicious!
Giant TCR 0
Nobody looks back on their life....and remembers the nights they got plenty of sleep !!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:08 am

Just posing a theory here - maybe the Macca's meal doesn't leave you feeling full for the rest of the day because your body is able to access the nutrients much faster? We don't consider a Big Mac to be a nutrient dense food, do we? Maybe the presence of all that fat and sugar and everything is actually a sign of food that is effectively high GI for carbs, proteins?

I also feel hungry quite quickly (very much so lately) but even at 72kgs, I prefer a large Angus Burger meal with a sundae to fill me. Or a Whopper/Aussie Burger/Double Bacon something. Seriously big meals, speaking in kJ.

Everything that processes fast will get used by your body quickly, and leave you wanting more. Porridge hangs around for hours because of epic low GI and big fibre content. That's not a sign of food you want, unless you don't have time to eat again in 3 hours.

I'm not sure many active adult males would be able to eat a medium Maccas meal worth of any foodstuff and feel full afterwards. How many bananas equals a large Maccas meal, Harley?

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:47 am

Xplora wrote:Everything that processes fast will get used by your body quickly, and leave you wanting more. Porridge hangs around for hours because of epic low GI and big fibre content. That's not a sign of food you want, unless you don't have time to eat again in 3 hours.
'That's not a sign of food you want'

Can you explain that Xplora? If someone is wanting to lose weight, wouldn't porridge/oats be a good option to eat exactly because of its low GI and high fibre? If 100gm of oats (approx 380 calories) for breakfast keeps the person feeling full/satisfied for longer, then they won't need to eat again so soon. If they ate a McDonalds Sausage and Egg Mcmuffin for breakfast instead (approx 369 calories ) but then feel hungry again within an hour and then consume more food/calories to stave off that hunger then surely they are going to gain weight over the guy who ate the porridge and doesnt need to eat again till lunchtime?

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:01 am

Arlberg wrote:
Xplora wrote:Everything that processes fast will get used by your body quickly, and leave you wanting more. Porridge hangs around for hours because of epic low GI and big fibre content. That's not a sign of food you want, unless you don't have time to eat again in 3 hours.
'That's not a sign of food you want'
+1. Porridge is the breakfast of team Sky. The team Sky coach buys trolleys full of it to take to Europe, since they can't buy it there. Can't be too bad for you.

anttismo

Postby anttismo » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:31 am

Porridge is my personal breaky of choice. Usually I ride for 3 or 4 hrs before breaky (and eat a few bananas and museli bars), but after that it is a massive load of porridge to start the day proper. Usually ~200g dry which makes an enourmous serve, literally 1kg of stuff. It's either oats and water, or 50% oats 50% semolina in 50/50 water/milk. Very occasionally it is rice in milk, or rice/semolina in milk. 1000 Calories of goodness or there abouts.

Anyway, I love them all and eat porridge basically 7 days a week. Part of daily post ride ritual to relax and boil it up. Certianly keeps me going for a while :)