Cyclist dies after Cowan crash (Sunday 17th Feb 2013)

ftssjk

Cyclist dies after Cowan crash (Sunday 17th Feb 2013)

Postby ftssjk » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:53 pm

Cyclist dies after Cowan crash

Monday, 18 February 2013 01:39:20 PM

A man who suffered critical head injuries after falling while cycling along the Old Pacific Highway at Cowan has died in hospital.

The crash happened about 7am (Sunday 17 February 2013) as the 61-year-old man was cycling about 200m ahead of his co-riders.

The man was treated at the scene for head injuries before being airlifted to Royal North Shore Hospital. He died in hospital last night.

Police believe the man fell as four motorcyclists passed him also travelling north on a downhill section of the highway.

It is unclear whether or not the motorcyclists witnessed the crash as they did not stop at the scene. There does not appear to have been contact between the two.

Investigators want to speak with the riders so they can get the full details of the incident.

Police are also appealing for any cyclists or motorcyclists with sports cameras fitted who were on the Old Pacific Highway near Cowan about that time to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Anyone with information about this incident should call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page: https://www1.police.nsw.gov.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Information you provide will be treated in the strictest of confidence. We remind people they should not report crime information via our Facebook and Twitter pages.
http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/lates ... YWxsPTE%3D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RIP :(

birdbrain

Re: Cyclist dies after Cowan crash (Sunday 17th Feb 2013)

Postby birdbrain » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:04 pm

Sad news. Condolences to his family and friends. :(

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:56 pm

The Police report seems to have a fiarly different emphasis than that quoted on another fourm
trailgumby wrote: From : http://nobmob.com/node/40652" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GiantNut wrote:Another rider dies
A ride up to Mount White on the old pacific hwy that I was invited on but declined as that road is frequented by hoons. One of the guys I know was either clipped or spooked by two motor bikes who were described as racing. He fell and besides other injuries he sustained a fatal blow to the head. This was yesterday ( Sunday 17th)

My mates who were there said the bikes were riding at insane speeds and were too close. They did not stop after Steve fell.

I have been ill and the only ride I did this w/e was along the flat bits of Duffy's forest. In one 20 min ride I had a ute pass close, rev it and then drop the clutch. There are some deranged and dangerous motorists out there that's why in general I would side with the cyclists
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

scotto

Postby scotto » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:37 pm

There's even a photographer that parks on a bend with warning signs and web addresses giving the motorbikers time to change down a gear and look heroic..

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:33 pm

scotto wrote:There's even a photographer that parks on a bend with warning signs and web addresses giving the motorbikers time to change down a gear and look heroic..
This kind of photographer gives us guys a bad name. Perhaps it is time to get the web address and make it known what this photographer does.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:44 pm

Maybe it's this character??

http://www.bikephoto.com.au/motorcycle/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:26 pm

il padrone wrote:Maybe it's this character??

http://www.bikephoto.com.au/motorcycle/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Perhaps. In a way, he's free to do what he does. He's a "photographer not a terrorist" as the popular saying goes. It's the motorbike riders that are breaking the law if they are going too fast. Technically he's not encouraging them either. You get the idea I think. :(

Perhaps speeding motorbike riders if they get involved in an incident of some sort might have some legal avenue to blame the photographer - along similar lines to the Strava cases.

Let us see what the Police will do...

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:40 pm

The coroner is currently conducting an inquest into the death of this cyclist, Steve Jarvie,
Canberra Times wrote:'Arrogant and aggressive' motorcyclist may have killed bike rider, inquest told

An avid cyclist killed on a winding road popular with bike and motorcycle riders may have been deliberately run off the road by a speeding motorcyclist, an inquest has heard.

Steven Jarvie, 62, died from head injuries after he fell off his bike on the Old Pacific Highway at Cowan on February 17, 2013.

On Thursday, Glebe Coroner's Court was told crash investigators had determined Mr Jarvie's bike was not directly hit by another vehicle.

However, two dark motorcycles were allegedly seen speeding past Mr Jarvie and his three riding companions about the time of the fall.

Counsel assisting the Coroner, Sasha Harding, said the inquest would look at whether Mr Jarvie's fall was an accident, if the speed of the motorcycles caused him to lose balance, or if it was "a deliberate act of a motorcycle rider to run Mr Jarvie off the road".

The officer in charge of the investigation, Natalie Bromage from the Metropolitan Crash Investigation Unit, said a few hours after the incident, police received an anonymous call from a man, Michael Scupps.

Mr Scupps said he met other motorcyclists at a cafe at Mt Colah earlier that day and one man, Ben Smith, was "carrying on about a collision with a push-bike rider".

Ms Bromage gave evidence that Mr Scupps told police Mr Smith said he "didn't give a f--- about push-bike riders and they shouldn't be on the road".

Mr Scupps also said Mr Smith was an "arrogant and aggressive rider".

However, Mr Scupps declined to make a formal statement, because he didn't want to "ruin my social life". He failed to comply with a subpoena to attend court on Thursday.

Mr Smith is due to give evidence on Tuesday.

The inquest will also consider if fatigue was a factor. Mr Jarvie and his fiancee Linda Ellis, had arrived home from a wedding about midnight and woke up at 4.45am to meet his friends at the McDonald's at Mt Colah at 5.30am.

Greg Stoneham said he rode with Mr Jarvie most Sundays for two to three years and described him as a "powerful" rider who had "superb control of a bike".

Mr Jarvie was very safety conscious and the group used hand signals and verbal communications to alert each other to obstacles or approaching cars.

"He certainly knew what he was doing when it came to handling a bike," Mr Stoneham said.

Mr Stoneham said the two motorbikes passed him at such high speed and proximity that it was a "terrifying experience".

"The first bike shocked me but the second one scared me," he said.

He believed the first motorbike was speeding but seemed in control - however, the second was speeding and "squirming and wobbling" just one metre away from him on a bend.

The rider had his left hand in the air and was waving it around.

Mr Stoneham did not think Mr Jarvie, who was cycling a few metres behind him, lost control and fell because he had been "spooked" by the passing motorbikes.

He said the position and the way Mr Jarvie fell indicated to him that there had been some "rubber to rubber" contact with the second motorbike's wheel.

He said the riding conditions were perfect that day and Mr Jarvie had already descended the five-kilometre hill with ease.

The inquest continues

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:51 pm

It's a shame that Mr Scupps won't make a formal statement. I've seen many instances of outrageous riding by motorcyclists in that area, including riding between two cyclists causing one to fall. My better half has also been passed on the left by a speeding motorcycle while she was climbing up to Pie in the Sky.
Last edited by biker jk on Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:48 pm

:evil: :evil:

Don't get me started!
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rokwiz

Postby rokwiz » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:09 pm

Very sad to here this.
The old hwy used to be great until the motor bikers found it. Anyone here remember the good ol days when it was closed at Cheero Point. Uh bliss.
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D Diderot 1752

rogan

Postby rogan » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:55 pm

Not making a statement because of your social life, sorry, what is that about? Coroner might call this character in on subpoena (possibly under arrest), and might get some truth out of him, but if his evidence is critical and he remains unwilling, hard to see how they prosecute any criminal proceedings.

Fatigue? How will they know? Does the pathologist have a test for that?

If I'm up at 5 to go riding it'd be extremely rare I was in bed at 9 or 10 the night before getting the sleep some coroner might think I need. I would often have ridden with 5 or so hours sleep, and I bet I'm not alone.

Fatigue is not really a factor though, out on the bike. I don't know chemically what my body does, but not getting enough sleep does not make you less alert in the way a non-rider might expect. Surely if they're going to look at fatigue, they might hear from some neurologist on the impact of strenuous exercise on neurotransmitter activity...

On any normal weekend ride (I'm not talking Audax crazy stuff here) fatigue, in the sense of being unable to concentrate properly, hits when you get home and relax, not out on the bike. That's my experience, and I know I'm not alone there either.

TMjpn

Postby TMjpn » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:22 pm

Being a person who's frequented the old rd on both kinds of bikes over the last decade, I thought it was inevitable that a collision would happen...

As much as anyone I'm privy to opening up the throttle on certain sections, but it's well known that the place is a cycling haven and even more so early in the morning on weekends, so there's always a concession to make, particularly at Cowan where there is no shoulder. The issue is that there are certain pretentious d#ckheads, like there is in any social activity, that treat the place like a private race track at the expense of others. There has long been a photographer up there even before the current guy, but you don't need to be going extremely fast to put up a good picture..

The cop's have done a decent job of policing the area, but usually only operate during the peak times (mid morning to late arvo).

But the types of people I've met in motorcycling circles.. it's pretty scary what people will do to try impress people. Ironically, my closest motorbike mates are also my cycling buddies - most of them have roadies that they use to train for racing season!

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:55 pm

Ben Smith was charged and the first mention was heard in the District Court today. Channel 7's evening news covered it.

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:18 pm

On Thursday, Glebe Coroner's Court was told crash investigators had determined Mr Jarvie's bike was not directly hit by another vehicle.
In light of the other evidence this brings into question the competency of "crash investigators" regarding cycling incidents. How you can come to that definitive conclusions is beyond me, especially when given evidence that the cyclist was in close proximity to another vehicle at the time of the incident.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:52 pm

Saw on C7 evening news today that Ben Smith will be back in October for trial.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:53 pm

human909 wrote: In light of the other evidence this brings into question the competency of "crash investigators" regarding cycling incidents.
Indeed. Most of the time it is a matter of an educated guess.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:32 pm

scum

Spaniel

Postby Spaniel » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:12 pm

I recall requests for camera footage from cyclists, riders and drivers at the time. Wonder if this is how they caught him?

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:14 pm

Spaniel wrote:I recall requests for camera footage from cyclists, riders and drivers at the time. Wonder if this is how they caught him?
it seems he was overheard by a fellow motorcyclist, who tipped police off. but it also seems the biker has gotten cold feet since and doesn't want to put himself in the spotlight. i'd speculate that the long delay was due to police sitting on charges, allowing time for people with further evidence to come forward. they were probably always going to charge him.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:24 pm

jules21 wrote:
Spaniel wrote:I recall requests for camera footage from cyclists, riders and drivers at the time. Wonder if this is how they caught him?
it seems he was overheard by a fellow motorcyclist, who tipped police off. but it also seems the biker has gotten cold feet since and doesn't want to put himself in the spotlight. i'd speculate that the long delay was due to police sitting on charges, allowing time for people with further evidence to come forward. they were probably always going to charge him.
Report from SMH on 5/6/14 http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/arrogant-and- ... 39kjq.html
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:39 pm

human909 wrote:
In light of the other evidence this brings into question the competency of "crash investigators" regarding cycling incidents. How you can come to that definitive conclusions is beyond me, especially when given evidence that the cyclist was in close proximity to another vehicle at the time of the incident.
Another explanation is that it was the cyclist and not the bicycle that was hit by the other vehicle.
jules21 wrote:
That the coronial inquest was commenced but not concluded and the matter has proceeded directly to the District Court without a committal hearing in the Local Court (I assume Mr Smith waived his right to a committal) both suggest that the DPP has more evidence than that. I certainly hope that is the case.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:53 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:Saw on C7 evening news today that Ben Smith will be back in October for trial.
Here`s 7news report.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/video/wat ... ash/#page1

Spaniel

Postby Spaniel » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:00 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:
jules21 wrote:
Report from SMH on 5/6/14 http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/arrogant-and- ... 39kjq.html
Thanks, I remember the report now.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:27 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:
Bunged Knee wrote:Saw on C7 evening news today that Ben Smith will be back in October for trial.
Here`s 7news report.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/video/wat ... ash/#page1
I hope he gets 10 years for that shirt and hard labour until he grows a real beard.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011