clicking knees?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
zill

clicking knees?

Postby zill » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:13 am

I've done a bit of riding of late and my knees will sometimes click when I straighten my leg. Is this okay?

Squashed

Re: clicking knees?

Postby Squashed » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:08 pm

joints normally click due to the air pockets in the joints getting pushed out of their normal spot and going pop. It can also be caused by the bones being misaligned with the cartilage, however this normally hurts when it happens. The air pocket going pop isn't anything major but long term (20years) it can contribute to premature joint wear.

If your knee is out of alignment then a doctor, physio or chiropractor should be able to help straighten it up.

regular stretching and exercise to keep the muscles strong and flexible will help to reduce the incidence of this occurring.

try to avoid kneeling down because that often causes it.

if this is new, then see your doctor and get a referral to a physiotherapist for further treatment.

edited to add, if your foot is slightly twisted during cycling, this might also cause it. If you have cycling shoes with cleats, then check that your leg is straight and not slightly twisted.

Squashed

Postby Squashed » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:05 pm

helsinkyh wrote:i get lots of clicks in my legs when first setting out, not to be rude but after a few miles my sack gets numb too
you need a different seat or more padding in your pants. There is too much pressure on the nerves and it is not a good thing.

AKO

Postby AKO » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:41 pm

I have had clicking in mainly my right knee for a while (left starting to do the same). I had the knee X-Rayed and they found a narrowing in the Patellafemoral cavity. Mainly due to deterioration (getting old) but made worse by my leg muscles pulling the knee cap across (due to cycling no less). Physio showed me how to strap it to pull it back into the correct position and suggested flogging my legs with the foam roller as often as possible. It seams to be helping after about 4 weeks.
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

zill

Postby zill » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:50 pm

AKO wrote:I have had clicking in mainly my right knee for a while (left starting to do the same). I had the knee X-Rayed and they found a narrowing in the Patellafemoral cavity. Mainly due to deterioration (getting old) but made worse by my leg muscles pulling the knee cap across (due to cycling no less). Physio showed me how to strap it to pull it back into the correct position and suggested flogging my legs with the foam roller as often as possible. It seams to be helping after about 4 weeks.
This clicking seem to happen whenever I ride a lot even when I was young.

Where did you get it X rayed?

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:58 pm

Itb, use the roller as much as possible

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

AKO

Postby AKO » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:53 pm

zill wrote:Where did you get it X rayed?
At the knee.

Bwahaha.

Mackay Radiology. Then I showed the report to a Physio and she ran me through the treatment. The way she described it is cycling has built up the outer leg muscles which has pulled the knee cap laterally (right knee pulled right if that makes any sense). She squeezed my quad and said "that's rock hard". I nodded approvingly, winked and said "yeah it is". She replied "that's not a good thing".

The foam roller has had more effect than strapping in my opinion. Both knees feel better since I've started doing as I'm told but I've only been strapping the right so far. I don't think it will ever be 100% but it's definitely better.
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:25 pm

Agree with both ITB and quads. I had this problem and stretches done properly and often keep it sorted. Never tried the roller but will keep it in mind. I do itb stretches leaning against a tree or wall and cross legs and lean. You tube has plenty of examples.