Weight loss and Vitamin B

Halfanewb

Weight loss and Vitamin B

Postby Halfanewb » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:18 pm

Recently i have been dropping things for no reason it seems silly but its been occurring enough to be noticeable, mostly as someone hands me an item i think i've got it and plop! its starting to get to the stage where i'm thinking of going to see the gp about it.
Then this morning i was browsing through the online news server and i read this article by the BBC, here are some extracts.
BBC wrote: "The syndrome - Wernicke encephalopathy - affects the nervous system and brain, and can lead to confusion and the inability to co-ordinate movement.

The study, published in Neurology, the journal of the American Academy of Neurology, says the syndrome is caused by a lack of vitamin B1, or thiamine.

Study author Sonal Singh, of Wake Forest University School of Medicine in North Carolina, urged those who had undergone weight loss surgery to take their prescribed vitamin supplements and be alert for symptoms such as vomiting, confusion, visual changes and lack of co-ordination

The syndrome was found to occur within one to three months of weight loss surgery"

Now they do specify weight loss surgery because the study was done on people who had undergone the procedure, but the surgery itself isn't the cause its the dramatic weight loss and diet afterwards.

Ive been eating the smallest portions i can and cycling heaps 380klm/week average and have lost approx 27kg since Xmas so i thought it worthy to post this snippet of info for folks who are out there cycling with similar goals in mind.

If you are like me cycling for weight loss, you may need to consider a good vitamin supplement.

MJF

Postby MJF » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:11 pm

Let's see.... 27kg in say... 11.5 weeks. That's 2.34 Kg per week. Nope - that doesn't fit into the rule of thumb "1 kg per week".

BTW - Thiamine is added to flour as they discovered that (a) alcoholics are thiamine deficient, (b) alcoholics live on pastry products (pies, sausage rolls, pasties etc.) and (c) the beer industry refused to add thiamine to beer.

So - the solution to your problem is to hang around pubs and eat the food. If you consume the beer as well, that should slow your weight loss down a bit .

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:35 pm

I'm with MJF here Newbie. I'm no medic, but it does sound like you're pushing a bit hard, there's no kudos in being the thinnest person in the hospital ward.

Listen to your body, it sounds like it's screaming out for a huge plate of pasta (no creamy sauces, my weakness :oops: ), with the increased metabolic rate the riding gives you, the calories will burn off easy, but the other nutrients will hang around. You are eating brekky I hope, 2 weetbix with some light milk gives you 50% RDI of thiamine and is great fuel.

It's been great reading of your trip through weight loss, but nobody here wants to read that you've done damage to yourself, we want to hear about your first century or race. :D

No thiamine in beer :!: That's another diet plan in the bin :wink:

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:04 pm

So, the collective advice is to spend more time at the pub washing down pie and chips with the 'on tap' lager while hoping someone will steal your bike :?

Hey, sounds good to me :D

Richard

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:09 pm

Lol yea i hear ya MJF :)

most folks would get a lot of their daily vitamins with their brekky cereal but i dont eat those, i dont eat any flour products either.

The dual forces of cycling addiction and weight loss have seen me push hard on the weight front and cycling with a group of 4 guys twice a week feeds the fitness improvement addiction going from a total wreck to being able to keep up and sometimes winning the hill climbs (all in the spirit of friendly competition :) )

Its so nice to see those kg's drop off and to feel energetic after 8 years of a sedentary lifestyle , its like i am a new person. 23kg's to go till the ideal weight of 87kgs, so only half way there and have a long way to go.

Ive had a lot of help from the forums , reading peoples posts and gaining understanding has given me the tools and inspiration to stick to it. The thread that has been most influential was the thread on bonking!

In my rush to achieve weight loss/fitness i didn't give much thought to my vitamin intake, after i posted i had a chat to the mrs about it and she said she had noticed that the last few weeks i have been clumsy but put it down to tiredness.

I guess that in my case my vitamin intake from eating was insufficient to the stage where it was noticeably affecting my daily activities. Ill start taking a B group supplement and watch for the results.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:48 pm

Doesn't matter what you do, just make sure you have a balanced diet.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

matagi

Postby matagi » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:45 pm

If you are restricting your calorie intake to such an extent that you may be suffering from a vitamin deficiency, then your diet is neither balanced nor healthy. It will also be unsustainable in the long term.

The rule of thumb for weight loss as someone else mentioned is around 1kg per week, I strongly suggest you reassess your food intake and aim for a diet and exercise program which gives you that rate of loss.

I also think you should go and see your doctor.

LuckyPierre

Re: Weight loss and Vitamin B

Postby LuckyPierre » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:48 pm

'Tis only my opinion, but "Berocca gives you back your b b bounce". :wink:
I use Berocca Performance nearly every day. It makes me start the day with a glass of water if nothing else.

MJF

Postby MJF » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 pm

Back to the clumsiness, I also vote for "see a doctor".

I went through something similar around two years ago when I suffered from "mild chronic duodenitus" (cause unknown) which screwed the lining of my small intestine and left me unable to convert complex sugars into simple sugars - I lost 16kg in four months... and it took over twelve months for my digestive system to recover. For the first six months I felt like I was living in an alternate trippy reality. Scary !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!, because they couldn't work out what was wrong with me - they just kept on blaming stress (I wasn't frikkin stressed to start with!!!!). The process of converting fat to energy has similar chemical impacts to high levels of stress, namely high levels of adrenaline and I think from memory cortisol is involved as well.

Rapid weight loss is nasty !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!, which is why I hate "biggest loser" - I can't work out why they are trying to kill those poor people. Slow and steady, boys.... slow and steady. For the first three months of my 'get fit' campaign, I lost five kg. Now I'm losing a kg a week like clockwork.

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:59 pm

been doing some reading in the meantime and came across some info which was quite good, it mentions crash diets as a cause for deficiency as well as the need for greater intake of B1 if a person is metabolizing more fats and carbs, the bb-bounce is spot on!

i have been listening to the body as ive gone through the process of weight loss and exercise ( when it says no im not racing up that hill or it says feed me now!) and up until now the general feeling of tiredness i've been putting down to the more energy out than in equation

But tbh i have limited my diet heaps trying to be specific focusing on eating lean beef, chicken and low fat dairy with a small side portion of veg at dinner time.

I guess i knew just enough to be dangerous :oops: ill take a proactive change for the first meal after bonking and make it a couple of wheatbix and dam the extra carbs! ill stick with multivitamin supplement as i am probably missing out on others too, its proof positive that we need a well rounded diet for healthy eating, but atm its too tempting to swallow the pill and keep the calorie equation simple until im around the 95kg's then ease off, eat more varied foods and let the lifestyle changes do the rest.

Thanks again for the comments :)

ps i think i will pay a visit to the gp

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:06 pm

There's been a few medical studies that show you don't get the same effect from vitamins, antioxidants, etc as a supplement pill as you get from just eating some fresh veggies.

I definitely wouldn't skip breakfast either.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:04 pm

Imanewbie wrote:been doing some reading in the meantime and came across some info...
DO NOT self diagnose! You'll find every known condition on you and still get it wrong.

Go and see a real doctor!

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:05 pm

When I was going hard with the weightloss, I aimed to lose 10kg, then aimed to maintain that loss. That way I knew whether I was dieting (in which case the weight would creep back on), or making positive lifestyle changes (which I was!!). I'm currently in "maintain" mode and will go back to weightloss after easter :roll:

Don't get hung up about carbs either. Have a read through something like the Low GI diet - carbs are good provided you eat good ones. I love bread so switched from white to a grainy low GI alternative. My breaky is 2 slices of 9 Grain bread with Nutella. Yeah, nutella is low gi too :D White bread is a reward now...

If you have HUGE portions of salad or veges (switch from potatoes to sweet potato) they will never put weight on you, especially with the mileage you are doing.

We're just trying to look after you!! :wink:

Moo...

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:39 pm

sogood wrote:
Imanewbie wrote:been doing some reading in the meantime and came across some info...
DO NOT self diagnose! You'll find every known condition on you and still get it wrong.

Go and see a real doctor!
According to the internet I'm actually dead.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
training log
ImageImageImage
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:50 pm

moosterbounce wrote:My breaky is 2 slices of 9 Grain bread with Nutella
Breakfast this morning
Large serving of rolled oats, with milk mixed in with 2 large spoons of protein powder, topped with a banana, 2 kiwi fruit and a large portion of natural yoghurt (low sugar version).
2 toast with marg and vegemite
2 toast with marg and a large portion of peanut butter
1 coffee double strength
Water

Morning Tea
2 toast with 3 large slices of reduced fat hard cheese
2 coffees double strength (or was it 3)
Water

Lunch
2 toast with 3 large slices of reduced fat hard cheese (sound familiar)
1 coffee double strength
Water

Afternoon Tea
around 300gms of cottage cheese (full fat)
1 coffee
Water

Dinner
Brest chicken in an Indian source on basanti rice with salad including grated cheese
2 large slices of chocolate cake (there was only 2 left)

Supper
TBD, probably a yoghart and 2 toast with peanut butter
Water

Burn plenty of Glycogen
training log
ImageImageImage

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:52 pm

moosterbounce wrote: Yeah, nutella is low gi too :D

Moo...
ummm chocolate /homer . what i really fantasize about is going to makkas and getting a large fries with xtra salt and a sunday lid full of mayo to dip them in /homer drool but im going to crack the 100kg's before i reward myself with that one.

anyhow i setup the gp visit for tomorrow just to be on the safe side :)

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:18 pm

Don't do the Macca's. Better to dream...you won't enjoy it. I had similar cravings for pizza but when I actually had it, I'd been eating so well that it tasted ok, but really greasy and salty and yukky. I don't want anything like that ever again!! And I won't even mention the guilt!!

See some chick on today tonight (or similar) the other day? For lunch she would have 7 big macs, 4 large fries, 2 large sundays, 2 buckets of coke...this was average. She now carries a dinner plate wherever she goes and can eat anything healthy so long as it fits within the blue circle on the plate (yes, take away and restaurants too). She's lost 100kg.

It almost sounds like the quantity Mike has :) I can't believe you can eat so much, regardless of the training log. I would burst!!

Glad to hear you're heading to the quack. It will be nice to see what he reckons.

Moo...

cludence

Postby cludence » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:36 pm

Sometimes if you deprive yourself of the food you are craving it only makes you want it more. Everything in moderation I think is they key.

Whenever I go swimming at the pool, I can always smell the food they have cooking. (Hotdogs, popcorn etc) Sometimes it gets the better of me as I have a soft spot for hotdogs so I always do myself a deal and wont allow myself to buy one unless I do an extra 20 laps to helps burn off the extra calories I am about to eat. I eat my hotdog happily and then I dont crave one again for months.

Karen.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:43 pm

mikesbytes wrote:According to the internet I'm actually dead.
Life is a terminal illness... Yes, you are DEAD! :P

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:48 pm

cludence wrote:Sometimes if you deprive yourself of the food you are craving it only makes you want it more. Everything in moderation I think is they key.

Whenever I go swimming at the pool, I can always smell the food they have cooking. (Hotdogs, popcorn etc) Sometimes it gets the better of me as I have a soft spot for hotdogs so I always do myself a deal and wont allow myself to buy one unless I do an extra 20 laps to helps burn off the extra calories I am about to eat. I eat my hotdog happily and then I dont crave one again for months.

Karen.
Exactly Karen, I moderate the food intake over the entire day, that way I can get the maximum number of calories. This is a lesson that sogood needs to learn to kurb that weight loss he is suffering from.

BTW, I see that Adrian E is thinking of doing the tour of canberra.

cludence

Postby cludence » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:07 pm

Tour of Canberra? Good on him. I read about his recent Grafton ride. He is doing well for someone who only got back into cycling a year ago. He's definately caught the bug. I'm waiting to see when he gets on a fixie!
This is a lesson that sogood needs to learn to kurb that weight loss he is suffering from.
-Is someone not eating enough?

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:09 am

mikesbytes wrote:Exactly Karen, I moderate the food intake over the entire day, that way I can get the maximum number of calories. This is a lesson that sogood needs to learn to kurb that weight loss he is suffering from.
Huh? How did I get into this? I am not suffering from weight loss. I am stable at my ideal weight. Even had a huge dinner last night at Doyles. 8)

MJF

Postby MJF » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:44 am

I'm heartbroken - they had a story on transfats on the news the other night. KFC is cooked in palm oil. 49.9% saturated fat :(

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:08 am

sogood wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:Exactly Karen, I moderate the food intake over the entire day, that way I can get the maximum number of calories. This is a lesson that sogood needs to learn to kurb that weight loss he is suffering from.
Huh? How did I get into this? I am not suffering from weight loss. I am stable at my ideal weight. Even had a huge dinner last night at Doyles. 8)
You told me you lost 4kg

Burn plenty of Glycogen
training log
ImageImageImage

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:32 am

mikesbytes wrote:You told me you lost 4kg
Yep, that was 2 months ago and hit my ideal weight, my weight during my uni days. It was a highly desirable weight loss. :D