PSP Closure Kwinana Freeway 2014

flashpixx

Re: PSP Closure Kwinana Freeway 2014

Postby flashpixx » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:39 pm

so is it the path from Hardy to Mill Point that we are waiting on to complete the project?

Looks like it may be any time now??
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:01 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
CXCommuter wrote:Did the run myself this morning- smooth as a babies butt- much better sight lines also.
Better sight lines than those of a baby's butt? It boggles the mind. :mrgreen:
This is all getting a bit cheeky for me :roll:

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:00 pm

CXCommuter wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:
CXCommuter wrote:Did the run myself this morning- smooth as a babies butt- much better sight lines also.
Better sight lines than those of a baby's butt? It boggles the mind. :mrgreen:
This is all getting a bit cheeky for me :roll:
"ba bum, touche" (sound of the comedy drum roll and words meaning backside, I'm aware that it's not funny if I have to explain it)

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:31 pm

Is this the best we can come up with, Rik Mayall will be rolling in his grave. RIP Rik

softy

Postby softy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:41 pm

Great job,
I hope they do the same to the canning bridge and up to the mt henry bridge. That needs work.

I see they are cutting out the road sections that are further along the PSP. Good news.

:)

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:09 am

softy wrote:Great job,
I hope they do the same to the canning bridge and up to the mt henry bridge. That needs work.

I see they are cutting out the road sections that are further along the PSP. Good news.

:)
People may want to consider how much of the improvemnt we are seeing is from trimming well back from the path. Which is there to see in spades on the rebuilt section. Even when the Canning Bridge to Mt Henry Bridge section was in excellent nick, the closeness of thick bush made it less safe than it should be. Lines of sight were simply nowhere near as good as they could be. And to amke it worse a good rain would cause scrub heavily laden with leaves to encroach further.

I sometimes wonder if cyclists would do well to get together from time to time with the councils and their equipment and do an annual busy-bee trim It would. Councils have a record of providing resources and consumables for such community action.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:54 am

I used to make a point of riding close enough to hit the bushes on the Graham Farmer path, with the theory it would discourage them from growing out too far. The plants on the river path are a bit bigger though and sometimes have stuff like owls living in them, so I prefer to leave them alone.

jonhanson

Postby jonhanson » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:33 pm

Rode on it today and lines of sight are great. Smooth and easy to see what's coming up. Very nice. My only concern was the bit of 50cm high black fencing along the water side of the path about halfway down with regular metal black supports for it. Can just see someone going into that at speed and doing damage. It just didn't seem that it was necessary ? Separating the bike path from the bush adjacent to the river. It's aways been there.

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:49 pm

Do that many people really want to ride off the side of path at speed? Seems quite wide enough to me. Maybe the fence is to protect the rats from being run over?

softy

Postby softy » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:16 pm

mikedufty wrote:Do that many people really want to ride off the side of path at speed? Seems quite wide enough to me. Maybe the fence is to protect the rats from being run over?
Yeah always see rats around the canning bridge.
Coming from the south side of the bridge you can just ride straight off the edge of the path into the river negotiating the corner on the north side. Much bigger hazard to me.
:roll:

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:46 pm

jonhanson wrote:Rode on it today and lines of sight are great. Smooth and easy to see what's coming up. Very nice. My only concern was the bit of 50cm high black fencing along the water side of the path about halfway down with regular metal black supports for it. Can just see someone going into that at speed and doing damage. It just didn't seem that it was necessary ? Separating the bike path from the bush adjacent to the river. It's aways been there.
mikedufty wrote:Do that many people really want to ride off the side of path at speed? Seems quite wide enough to me. Maybe the fence is to protect the rats from being run over?
The bush on the side is the Milyu reserve, an A-class nature reserve. I believe that it extends from South Terrace to the Mill Point Road flyover and extends several hundred metres into the estuary. The fencing is to keep us on one side and critters on the other I guess.

As jonhanson said, it's been there long term - probably since early 60's when the freeway was built on reclaimed river/wetlands. And as he said it is an accident waiting to happen. Even without adding a top rail, simply elevating it to a more normal waist height would make it far safer.

I got taken out by a passing rider two years ago which all happened in slow-mo. While I was in the process of separating from the unicycle and falling to ground my only focus was not falling onto the exposed top. As it is I slashed my foot on a plastic tie on the unicycle but the fence had potential to do worse.

billy70

Postby billy70 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:48 am

Finally had the chance to ride on the new section yesterday and it is absolutely lovely - a great piece of infrastructure for our beautiful city. I can't wait for the final extension to be complete as the novelty of the detour has certainly worn off and it will make for a more enjoyable ride.

SNAKE ®

Postby SNAKE ® » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:53 pm

This section of the PSP path near Mill Point Road hasn't been touched in over 4 weeks.
It would be great to have it completed!!

Rex

Postby Rex » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:09 am

Further south, but there is another detour between South St and Parry Ave.
Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere.

I'm assuming it's Path improvements, which is very welcomed through that section.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:50 pm

SNAKE ® wrote:This section of the PSP path near Mill Point Road hasn't been touched in over 4 weeks.
It would be great to have it completed!!

The work for some time has been a bit further on around the flyover. There is no point opening up the stretch you can see until that is done - riders would only have to retrace their steps back to the foot bridge.

It's been a challenging stretch near the flyover (for cyclists and for road crews) for many years with continuous subsidence being corrected with half a...d jobs of patching over. This time, apparently, they have been doing extensive durable works on the river/retaining wall which should prevent future subsidence. AFAIK that has now been done (tides and therefore seasons dictate this) and, since. have stripped off all the old riding surface right down to an including the road base. It is taking time but it should be well worth it. Less bumpy road and less need for riders to take dangerous lines around the bridge.

It would be nice to reclaim the ten minutes sleep that is lost on the remaining detours though. :)

softy

Postby softy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:20 pm

On the new section that has been opened I am surprised how much sand and debris is still on the path although a wall is there.

Just does to show the wind and elements are significant along that waterfront. :shock:

SNAKE ®

Postby SNAKE ® » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:00 pm

Most of the sand and debris from under the Canning Bridge was cleaned up later today. I've noticed some effort has been made to clean up most of the debris in the tunnel near Mounts Bay Rd. Its not perfect but certainly much better than before.
2011 CANNONDALE SUPERSIX SUPER RECORD TEAM LIQUIGAS
2013 CANNONDALE SLICE RS BLACK Inc
2013 CANNONDALE SCALPEL 29ER CARBON 1

softy

Postby softy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:18 pm

SNAKE ® wrote:Most of the sand and debris from under the Canning Bridge was cleaned up later today. I've noticed some effort has been made to clean up most of the debris in the tunnel near Mounts Bay Rd. Its not perfect but certainly much better than before.
Yes that canning bridge north side really collects a lot of sand, bit of a hazard!

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:38 pm

softy wrote:On the new section that has been opened I am surprised how much sand and debris is still on the path although a wall is there.

Just does to show the wind and elements are significant along that waterfront. :shock:
It may improve as the vegetation replenishes itself. Though at that time you will also lose much of the improved lines of sight and some available width as branches transgress the PSP.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:42 pm

Driving past the works to the north end on the weekend, they have removed more than 0.5m of the retaining and path base, and inserted steel sheet piles in the river next to. I think I read something about precast concrete retaining to be used.

All in all, they are making great progress, looking forward to it.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:28 pm

Red Rider wrote:Driving past the works to the north end on the weekend, they have removed more than 0.5m of the retaining and path base, and inserted steel sheet piles in the river next to. I think I read something about precast concrete retaining to be used.

All in all, they are making great progress, looking forward to it.
That may indicate that they are behind the seasonal requirements and will be constructing the precast behind temporary steel barrier pumped dry. If so then that does not make for confidence that they will have the section opened any time too soon.

I hope my assessment is not right though, in my case, I can live with the detour relatively easily. Not so for everyone.

SNAKE ®

Postby SNAKE ® » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:21 am

I am still amused at the number of arrogant drivers at the Labouchere Rd, Mill Point Rd intersection thinking they literally OWN the road and continue to be on the horn when the lights go green.

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:55 am

SNAKE ® wrote:I am still amused at the number of arrogant drivers at the Labouchere Rd, Mill Point Rd intersection thinking they literally OWN the road and continue to be on the horn when the lights go green.
Really?? I haven't come across a single one...

SNAKE ®

Postby SNAKE ® » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:06 am

Monday morning, a lady in a bashed up Ford Fiesta didn't like a dozen cyclists beating her off the lights. So she was on the horn all the way through the intersection then cut us all off when she pulled into a driveway 50m on the left.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:49 pm

SNAKE ® wrote:Monday morning, a lady in a bashed up Ford Fiesta didn't like a dozen cyclists beating her off the lights. So she was on the horn all the way through the intersection then cut us all off when she pulled into a driveway 50m on the left.
I am assuming you are heading north towards the Narrows.

Your post implied it is fairly common and certainly more than a lone idiot. If that was the case I would expect to have seen the same on a few or more occasions. On the contrary, and consistent with Warbys observations, I am yet to see even my first case of untoward and unreasoanble behaviour by any motorist at that intersection. I have expressed previously the welcome and unexpected understanding by motorists at that intersection.

There are not a lot of drivers drivers heading in a northerly direction at the times I go though.

What time do you go thru?