O'Keefe Street - Fines for crossing against signals

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed May 28, 2014 10:32 am

Just a heads up for the south-side cyclists who travel on the V1 Bikeway and cycle along the O’Keefe St footpath and cross the busway access traffic signals.
Police are starting to issue tickets to people, for not waiting for a ‘Green Man’ walk signal.
It doesn’t come on automatically at the start of the lights, so it can be a long wait if you just miss it.
The walk signal also doesn’t last very long.

If you are heading south, an alternative (if you don't like waiting) is to ride east-bound on O'Keefe Street and turn right into Junction Street to connect back to the Norman Creek bikeway.

Ryanhyltoncummins

Re: O'Keefe Street - Fines for crossing against signals

Postby Ryanhyltoncummins » Wed May 28, 2014 2:13 pm

Don't think I've ever stopped there for any traffic while on the pathway/footpath, Junction St is usually pretty good I ride it all the way from Ekibin usually if I'm traveling against the flow of peak hour bikeway traffic. They really could use an overpass here but oh well. Thanks for the heads up.

fingy

Postby fingy » Thu May 29, 2014 7:18 pm

I got pinged on Tuesday 5:00pm $110, they were back again today.

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu May 29, 2014 9:25 pm

fingy wrote:I got pinged on Tuesday 5:00pm $110, they were back again today.
Bugger. I haven't seen them yet as I come past later than that. I never stop there, just roll thru if OKeefe St traffic has a green light.

Seems like a strange thing to start policing. They must be acting off a complaint or near miss that happened there.

fingy

Postby fingy » Fri May 30, 2014 7:17 pm

Yeah the copper said bus drivers and peds had made complaints so they've had to act on them.
Also mentioned bikes and peds colliding and that there needs to be a "green bike" light for cyclists,
the "green man" takes forever and disappears within a few seconds.
Such a small window of opportunity to cross is inadequate for the volume of traffic using the
crossing when you consider how infrequently you see a bus using the intersection.
I will take my chances with the cars from now on, kicking myself for not doing a runner I
thought they may giving verbal warnings :( today I hung a right at the Regent St path just
before the freeway overpass turned left at Cornwall and rolled down to the Norman creek
bike way, may have just been lucky with a gap in traffic but it wasn't as scary as I thought

michaelweare

Postby michaelweare » Sat May 31, 2014 1:46 pm

Stopped at the red man yesterday arvo going home. A girl in front had already crossed on foot. By the time she got to the other side, an officer grabbed her and had a long chat (not sure if she was booked). By the time I crossed there was another fella on a bike being booked...all up 3 police.

This was around 4:30pm.

Think I might use the road for a while as the wait at the lights seemed a long time.

RobM

Postby RobM » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:03 pm

Be careful if you are riding down O'Keefe St and turning right into Junction Street.

I tried this route on Thursday - all was well until some muppet who was turning right out of Junction St decided he didn't want to give way to traffic anymore (he probably had been waiting awhile as traffic from the roundabout is pretty non-stop), and pulled right out across the right turn lane....and stopped. I hit the skids, went to the right (into the oncoming lane) and whipped around the corner into Junction St. Really close call.

Even with bright riding lights, assume everyone is insane.

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:36 pm

I used to live in Stones Corner and pass this intersection to/from work every day, and I don't ever recall seeing a bus turning into the busway from O'Keefe st - only out of it.

If this is true the ped crossing signal should be synced with the traffic lights (east-west traffic on O'Keefe st). Crossing this intersection is never interfering with traffic when the lights are green (going east west only).

I'd be putting in a request to have the ped light come on automatically.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:05 am

Typical Govt response - fine people rather than fix the relatively simple and stupid core issue.

HiChris

Postby HiChris » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:59 am

It'd be nice if they were that keen to book drivers for <1 meter. This type of enforcement forces people to ride on the streets more to avoid inefficient lights. Once they started policing the ridiculous stop sign at the Stanley St service road Woolloongabba I started riding up the main road and now avoid what is probably a safer bypass.