Considerate Motorists! 2013

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Considerate Motorists! 2013

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:23 pm

Big happy wave to the lady in the Landy who hung back and gave me room to get out of the bikelane into heavy traffic at a crowded Gap Rd roundabout this morning :D Unlike the towie that floored it to stop halfway past me in the queue. :|
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:38 pm

This afternoon I was driving at school times. Up ahead I saw a school kid on a bike, riding reasonably slowly in a section that, for me, is too narrow. It's dual 2 lane and the shoulder lane is a little wider than a normal lane width, but no shoulder. Tis no kids mate was riding on the narrow footpath that is immediately behind the kerb. Normally I check out what is behind me along there, then he'll for leather and claim as much lane as I'm game in a traffic gap. The car in front of me slowed to merge then changed lanes, I followed in a lane change, the car a decent gap behind me also slowed, then changed lanes.

I wonder if the same cars would have lane changed, or shaved a 'Lycra warrior'. I'm going to get me a school uniform for my next on road ride
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:05 pm

So many pleasant drivers on my commute home tonight - nice wide passing, patience and even a couple of nice, positive calls from motorists.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:24 pm

Not a motorist but a resident. First house on the left I think on Battle Boulevarde on the climb from Spit Bridge was a mid-thirties guy carefully and thoroughly sweeping tiny glass fragments off the road. Made eye contact and said "Thanks mate, *really* appreciate it :D "

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:53 pm

A big thank you and thumbs up to the green P plater in the black BMW 1 series convertible, who let me get ahead on Johnston St when crossing Brunswick St.

He was in the left hand lane, stuck behind people turning left. I took the right hand lane and had another P plater in a ute try and make a right hand trun across me. The ute driver stopped short and I managed to keep going through the gap, but then had the BMW on my left about 5m behind. I did a head check, threw a signal out, checked again and changed lanes, then gestured for him to pass if he wished. All very congenial.

I caught him up at the lights, tapped on the window and gave a thumbs up and a thank you. :)
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

Tomca74

Postby Tomca74 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:22 pm

again today I had a Rogers Transport Semi act in a civilised and courteous manner. These guys are making a habit of being patient and driving safely around Rocklea. One more time and I might even contact the company!

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:08 pm

Riding on the shared path which parallels the road. There's a driveway crossing which is the entrance to the golf club and cars have been given right of way to cross the path by virtue of signs saying "Give Way to Traffic". You have cars turning in off the road from both directions and also cars leaving the club, which means keeping an eye on the car park and the road as you approach up a hill and through some shrubs. So I'm always very wary. There was a car leaving the club which was stopped across the path (they have to sit there because they can't see oncoming traffic otherwise) and I noticed another car sitting in the right turn lane parallel to me waiting to come in. I thought "this could take awhile" and got ready for track stand mode. He got his break in the traffic but had seen me, and waved me through before turning right and coming in himself. Thank you Mr Prado driver for even noticing me from where you were, let alone giving way :)
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:08 pm

Riding home tonight and as I crest the hill from Queens Pde to Heidelberg Rd and there's a line of cars trying to cross the bike lane onto Heidelberg Rd. One girl was very courteous and waited for me to pass before pulling across.

Thank you!

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:39 pm

Two days in a row!

Today I had a bus beside/behind me on Heidelberg Road city bound (I was in the bike lane, he was in the left hand road lane), and he saw that I was approaching a slower cyclist, so he moved one lane to the right to allow me to pass the other rider. Awesome guy! :D

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:23 pm

I was riding along a road with virtually no shoulder this morning and i could hear a heavy vehicle coming up behind while there were 2 oncoming cars. I expected trouble but then heard the truck slow down, wait til it was clear and then pass safely. Big thumbs up to Mr Hy-Tec cement truck :) .

Not so much love for the idiot in a 4wd ute who shaved past me with about 30cms to spare so he could get to the give way sign LESS THAN 10M away :evil: .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

MisuVir

Postby MisuVir » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:00 am

Thank you to the driver who slowed down, flashed their lights, and let me pass a car parked in the bicycle lane (like almost all Adelaide bike lanes, this bike lane is only a bike lane for two hours per day).

Anyways, it was appreciated... even though I was already stationary and there was nobody for miles behind this car. :D

westab

Postby westab » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:17 pm

Riding to work this morning a "P" plater in a black SUV let me back into the traffic from the break down lane just before a round about and then stayed a good 3 car lengths back for about 150m till the next round about seeing that there would be a good chance to pass after that.

Not only were they considerate but they kept about another 5 car from possibly attempting the MGIF overtake near these two round abouts - thanks.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:22 pm

Re post from a few weeks back in the Tas thread, but a big shout out to the bloke that offered me and the bike a lift into town when I punctured on my morning commute
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:51 pm

Yeah I had a bloke offer me lift a couple of weekends ago. Filthy morning, windy and wet. Got a puncture about a km out of town just on sunrise. I was just gathering up all the bits and bobs after fixing the flat when he stopped, so I turned him down. Forgot all about it until I read your post.

A few weeks ago I came across a bloke walking his bike, about 6km out of town. I offered to help him fix the flat (looked like he had nothing to fix it with) but he turned me down. Preferred to walk apparently :)
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:55 pm

I ran over some fencing wire today, straight through the tyre and thorn tube.
Was about 25 k out of Bathurst on the Bridle Track.
A couple approaching in their car spotted the bike upside down off the side of the road and pulled over to see if I needed assistance.
Had a nice chat and they seemed amazed where I was as I still had a 340 m climb up the Euro (most at 7%) to get home from there.

It's nice to see country values still persist with some people.
Though I had everything I needed to get going again, their kindness, interest and sociability made my day.

Regards,
Ken

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:36 pm

The motorists who gave me plenty of room this afternoon in the windy conditions as I was just getting blown all over the place. Thanks.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:30 am

Everyone who passed me and my mate up on holiday from Brisbane on the weekend. 74km ride from Point Cartwright to Montville and back, which means you meet different types of drivers, townies, sunrbanies and banjoies (not sure if they are words) only one semi close pass by a Nissan Patrol all jacked up, and even that was not that close. Shout out must go to the mature couple in a dark Mazda 3 sedan who followed us through 3 traffic islands and stayed well back, it enabled us to keep our pace and we all got on with our journey sooner, thank you.
I am so pleased to be typing this!!!

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:11 pm

The motorist in the red car that was behind our bunch today as we approached an intersection where we were turning right and allowed me at the rear of the bunch to claim the lane and signal our intent to turn and didn't beep his horn or yell abuse. He just stayed behind us and waited behind us until we had turned and then drove on. Doesn't sound like anything special but it was really appreciated. 8)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:03 pm

A truck that actually stayed behind me coming up to a corner where I had to turn right. I wasn't sure at first what he was doing, but soon realised. Very nice. :)

duds2u

Postby duds2u » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:34 pm

The Noosa Council have been cleaning out the drain beside Beckmans Rd and had Stop/Go guys controlling about 100 metres beside the excavator. I rode up and stopped and when it came time for the Go signal, the Stop/Go man let me through before he let the vehicles through.
I was very impressed.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:47 pm

duds2u wrote:The Noosa Council have been cleaning out the drain beside Beckmans Rd and had Stop/Go guys controlling about 100 metres beside the excavator. I rode up and stopped and when it came time for the Go signal, the Stop/Go man let me through before he let the vehicles through.
I was very impressed.
I've seen that a few times. When the bike rider gets to the front of the queue they often get a little head start, helps keep the traffic speed through the job site down and makes the traffic controllers job a bit easier too.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:17 pm

Considerate Motorist on the way home last night - the driver gave way at a pinch point where the road turns and narrows, the bike lane disappears and there is a speedbump (not the best of road designs, that area). This driver came up alongside me after we'd accelerated from the traffic light and I realised we'd reach the pinch point at the same time so I was braking to slot in behind them, but they then braked so that I could go in front, which was nice. I made sure I pushed it so they weren't slowed down in the 40kph area. :)

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:37 pm

I have had two in two days in a row riding to work.

1: overtaking leaving extra room then indicating before moving left in front of me and also leaving room when moving left. I felt well taken care of and appreciate the extra care taken.

2: I was an idiot and exercised extremely poor judgement and ended up in the middle lane trying to turn left across traffic at some traffic lights. I was very lucky that a considerate motorist opened up a gap for me to slip into to complete the manoeuvre (of course I indicated my intentions). Unfortunately, I underestimated the speed of the bus in front of me an almost rode into it :oops:
<removed by request>

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:33 am

I was approaching a pinch point this morning and heard a car coming up behind me. I rode a little bit wider and they didn't get any closer. They waited til myself and the cyclists behind me were past the pinch point before driving by. kudos to them.