Trike tyres and where you get them from

gretaboy

Trike tyres and where you get them from

Postby gretaboy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:34 pm

I am wanting to get slick tyres for my new trike but it seems the usual suspects dont seem to stock them. Sizes are 20" and 26" by 1.75.

Anyone got suggestions/recommendations on where to purchase from.

Xenon

Re: Trike tyres and where you get them from

Postby Xenon » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:45 pm

I've bought 20" tyres from Trisled in the past. I assume 26" slicks aren't as much of a problem.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:53 pm

SJScycles sell them, as do the usual US stores that are listed on BROL
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:26 pm

Hi Gretaboy

20" tyres can generally be had from the local trike builders ie Greenspeed, Trisled, MRComponents etc

My experience with slicks on the front of the trike is that riding in the wet can be interesting. Unlike a bike, there is no doubt tread makes a difference! Even riding through sprinkler wash on the road near a roundabout on my commute means sliding out if I don't watch my speed. Anyway....

Not sure you need to go to 1.75 with the full suspension, and actually can't think of any 20" slicks that are that wide.

Schwalbe Durano (28x406) or Kojak (35x406) would both be OK. Though I have found both not that robust in the sidewalls, fine for good roads but not so great at dropping a wheel off the bitumen and then remounting when out in the sticks. These are available from c r c, Starbike and Dutchbike bits, also available on ebay.

Continental Sport Contact City (28x406) are better in the sidewall department, and I've found them pretty quick too. c r c carry them, and some other European based suppliers.

If you're not prepared to go narrower Greenspeeds Scorchers (40x406) are pretty good.

I quite like Schwalbe Marathon Racers (40x406), not as fast as a slick, but OK for the winter and staying on the road ; )

In 20" be careful to ensure that the tyres are the right size ie 406 not 451. It is not reliable to assume a decimal tyre is 406 and a fraction 451.

Hope that helps.

cheers

chuck
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:34 pm

To all thanks for the replies, especially the detailed reply from Chuck...love the "handle" by the way, so descriptive and brings back the worst of memories

am new to the trike scene so what you explained about tyre width and so forth was great, will have a look at tbe tyres suggested....much appreciated

nessbike

Postby nessbike » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:39 pm

Schwalbe also make the Tryker in 20 x 1.5 (40-406) - http://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-reader/tryker.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - supposedly designed specifically for trikes, but probably worth checking for reviews. Kojaks are available in 20 x 1.35 (35-406) and 26 x 1.35 (35-559) if you wanted the same width all around or 26 x 2.00 (50-559) if you want something wider on the rear. All are in stock with local distributor so your LBS should be able to order if you can't find them in stock anywhere. Cheers Alex

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:52 pm

I had a set of Trykers on my ICE Vortex, they had very stiffer sidewalls.....they were fast and my Vortex had suspension so the stiffness was never an issue......they were fast !

Also I ran Duranos, which I liked but they cut up a bit but did not puncture too often....

I hated Kojaks, punctured way too easily on the incredibly smooth Victorian roads (Victorian is rather apt to describe them - rough, gravelly, full of holes, no shoulders, green and brown glass from caring boganic drivers)......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

burnt

Postby burnt » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:00 am

Weird, I find the Kojaks great on the Mango, haven't punctured on the current set and they are 1500-2000km in so far.

I'm hearing good things about Schwalbe Shredda's, but I think you have to get them from Europe-some reasonable prices on Bike24 at the moment.

Thought I'd give Trykers a go on the Greenspeed next, the Marathon Plus are a bit slow I think, but no punctures so far.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:20 pm

I used Comp Pool tyres for a while, until they became Duro and a lower psi. There's lots of cheap 20" tyres out there but most have unsatisfying psi for a trike. Comp Pools however were very sticky slicks. Then I moved to Maxxis Hookworms, not so great on the grip but I could ride up or off kerbs easier, the trike was an inch higher, I just learnt about the lesser grip on the first roundabout that I came to. For speed I used Conti Grand Prix's but kept getting snakebite, at 1" they were too narrow for rims happy with the 1.75" Comp Pools. Then Vredesteins but they're hard to find since Greenspeed stopped selling them. I now use Schwalbe Kojaks and Conti SportContacts on some of my other recumbents but am toying with using with the 20" Schwalbe Big Apples.

I noticed on Ebay that someone was selling a Kenda Koncept tyre in 25x1, this is actually a 26" tyre as it has the same ETRTO (559) but I think that 25" is the designation for wheelchair tyres. Not sure if this is a way of sayong 'don't use' for bikes and trikes. Otherwise finding 26" tyres is easy, 20" might be around if your LBS sells folding bikes or BMX.

geebee

Postby geebee » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:23 pm

Chain reaction have free shipping ATM, and a good range and price for tyres, link below is for the 20" ones
http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... 4294958219" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:20 am

geebee wrote:Chain reaction have free shipping ATM, and a good range and price for tyres, link below is for the 20" ones
http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... 4294958219" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yep. I keep an eye on c r c specials and buy when cheap. My warning re sizing though had c r c in mind. Most forum and other advice around the interwebs will tell you that a decimal size tyre is 406 (eg 20x1.1 is 28x406) and a fraction sized tyre is 451 (eg 20x 1 1/8 is 28x451). But when you head to c r c and some other sites they mix and match. So currently on c r c Continental Sport Contact City tyres are listed as 20x1 1/8 but in the description as 28x406. Just need to keep that in mind and clarify if necessary.
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

Ozbent

Postby Ozbent » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:30 pm

Just received some 'Schwalbe' 20" prestas.......... I've found it difficult to source 20" quality tubes with presta valves. Plenty of Schraders about, but I don't want to drill _my_ trike rims. & These Schwalbes seem very good !

I got 'em from Chain Reaction Cycles ( in pommieland ! ) and they posted 'em out to mid-NSW, Oz , in about ten days. No probs at all !!..... and they cost far less than anywhere else.

If anyone has suggestions for any Australian sources of quality tubes, lay 'em down.

Hope this helps.
"..... Perfect speed is Being there... " -- Chiang Seagull.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:17 pm

chuckchunder wrote: If you're not prepared to go narrower Greenspeeds Scorchers (40x406) are pretty good.
Scorchers are great for grip, but the comparitively soft compound wears quite quickly (on my race trike, in hot conditions on a tight track tyre life can be as little as four hours before they're worn through to the canvas! More typically though we'll get up to about 12 hours out of the less-loaded [e.g. predominantly inside tyre on a race circuit] front). Kojaks are harder, so more durable, but substantially less grippy. I should note that these are on 16" wheels, so the rotational speed is higher for a given ground speed than bigger wheels, which accelerates wear.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:41 am

Duck! wrote:
chuckchunder wrote: If you're not prepared to go narrower Greenspeeds Scorchers (40x406) are pretty good.
Scorchers are great for grip, but the comparitively soft compound wears quite quickly (on my race trike, in hot conditions on a tight track tyre life can be as little as four hours before they're worn through to the canvas! More typically though we'll get up to about 12 hours out of the less-loaded [e.g. predominantly inside tyre on a race circuit] front). Kojaks are harder, so more durable, but substantially less grippy. I should note that these are on 16" wheels, so the rotational speed is higher for a given ground speed than bigger wheels, which accelerates wear.
I suspect that you mean that the circumference of the tyre is less, so the tyre will wear faster for a given distance travelled. Rotational speed doesn't really come into it.

Bartek

Postby Bartek » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:07 pm

I have bought tyres from Bike24, they stock most of the schwalbe models

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;n ... duct=10020" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have been using the kojaks on my Mango, but have some Schredda's ready to replace them with. On my trike I use Big Apples, no complaints yet.
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:59 pm

rdp_au wrote:
Duck! wrote:
I suspect that you mean that the circumference of the tyre is less, so the tyre will wear faster for a given distance travelled. Rotational speed doesn't really come into it.
Smaller circumference = more rotations for a given velocity = higher rotational speed.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

OldBloke

Postby OldBloke » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:52 pm

I ended up getting my tires from Chain Reaction as they were the only ones with a reasonable range. None of the 6 LBSs carried any.

OB
Sent from my GT-I8750 using Tapatalk

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:08 pm

I suspect that you mean that the circumference of the tyre is less, so the tyre will wear faster for a given distance travelled. Rotational speed doesn't really come into it.[/quote]
Smaller circumference = more rotations for a given velocity = higher rotational speed.[/quote]

True - but I don't see how this affects the wear rate. That is a function of how often each segment of tyre rolls over the ground, is it not?

Anyway, I fear we're in danger of hijacking a thread and heading down a rathole...

Roinik

Postby Roinik » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:04 am

A mate of mine is in the process of setting up his shop in Vic. He's intending on setting up an online shop in 6-12 months with better prices than you'd get at c r c and others. He's currently supplying local pedal prix teams and still making ends meat.

I'll post again when his online shop is up and running.
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:14 am

Roinik wrote:... making ends meat ...
He's a butcher?
By all accounts there is a glaring hole left by Flying Furniture in Canberra going offline, if your friend is opening up some sort of recumbent/folder shop that'd be most welcome and I'd suggest that he go after dealership for a few of the popular brands that FF dealt with. Bacchetta, for a start. And don't make the mistake that FF made of having a warehouse full of bits and failing to advertise the full range on the website. If you wanted a Pantour hub you'd have to know that Ian had these. If you wanted a 520mm wheelset you'd have to know that Ian bought dozens from Velocity. And lots of unmentioned tyres (like Specialized's Spanky and the Panaracers).

Lower prices are good but better products is better. And full online cataloguing, please.

Roinik

Postby Roinik » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:26 pm

He's had the shop for about two months now. His website is due to be up and running any time within the next couple of weeks.

Is he going to be stocking 'bents? Not right now as his shop isn't big enough yet or doesn't have enough turnover. Is he averse to getting them in or supplying them at reasonable prices, no. Will he list all of his stock, I suspect so. He's not the type of person that want's to be holding onto the stock for that long so turnover is the key. I know most of his business model and some of the plans that he's got to get things happening. Where is the demand in his area?

* Track and road cyclists.
* Mums, dads and kids.
* Mountain biking.
* Skaters and bmx.
* Then comes the odd stuff like trikes, recumbents and e-cycles (mine is his first commercial 'bent trike).

I know that he'd like to get into more of the e-cycle stuff and the general cycling gear, but you have to put food on the table with the more lucrative market of road bikes first.

BTW: I will be trying to get him to stock a demo 'bent or two for those riders that aren't competing any more.
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.