Repco Appreciation Society

cray-

Re: Repco Appreciation Society

Postby cray- » Tue May 20, 2014 11:46 am

utedeej wrote:So, i picked up a blue and yellow Repco Vertex TT frame a little while back. I'm slowly piecing the bits together for it, but unfortunately it's only got the 531 decal on the seat tube - no Repco or Vertex TT decals (guessing someone didn't want it known they rod a repco :D )

I don't suppose anyone has some appropriate decals i could use or hints on where i might get some.

Cheers
Happy to take detailed photos and measurements of mine if you can wait until early July. Could be persuaded to do full on artwork (designer, print company), if I pull my finger out.

Cyclomondo is your man for reproduction decals: http://cyclomondo.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://stores.ebay.com.au/Cyclomondo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; We have pointed a fair few people in his direction but yet to see any Repco decals appear on his store. Not sure what he charges to do up a new design from scratch, it'd probably depend on the quality of artwork supplied and how much extra work he needs to do. If anyone has anymore insight, please post.

cray-

Postby cray- » Tue May 20, 2014 11:52 am

koshari wrote:anyone got any ideas on how i can stop the rear brake cable outer from rattling against the frame where it passes through the 3 lugs on the top of the top tube en route to the rear?
preferably something not to obtrusive to the eyes?

its black tubing and best i can think off is place a little black pvc tape around where it goes through the lugs, hoping it will be firm enough to not rattle anywhere along the tube against the frame.
Bunnings have clear poly tubing of various sizes in the irrigation section. Could cut little sleeves and thread them on. Depends how much gap you have between cable and lugs. Overkill, black 'leccy tape would do the trick. Or you could look for different/bigger cable outers, all mine fit nice and snug.

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Tue May 20, 2014 12:00 pm

Cheers for the offer Cray, happy to wait till July. I'm not in a rush, just getting all the bits ready and have to build a rear wheel still.

I've bought a few sets of decals off cyclomondo. Great quality. I checked his site and ebay, but didn't see any Repco ones.

schuberj

Postby schuberj » Tue May 20, 2014 2:26 pm

cray- wrote:Or you could look for different/bigger cable outers, all mine fit nice and snug.
Yes, it is unusual for the cables not to fit tightly. Usually the brake cables are a bit thicker than the gears ones to facilitate this (and presumably for additional strength).
utedeej wrote:I don't suppose anyone has some appropriate decals I could use or hints on where I might get some.
Image search "Repco Decals" on Google and you should find some good pics, particularly on some of the BMX sites. Sorry I don't have any of the older style Repcos anymore to measure the size. If your bike is post (I think) '87 the font used for the Vertex name is Vandijk, as seen on page 34 of this forum. Not sure if the earlier font has been discovered.

flash739

Postby flash739 » Wed May 21, 2014 4:24 pm

Strange request, but there is sense to my request.

If anyone has a Victorian built Repco (in particular Repco bikes build by Bates of Coburg), 1950-1969/1970 at the latest.

Could you please look under your bottom bracket, and if any of your serials number punched stamps have either an "R" a "0" a "5" a "6" or an"8" in thier numbering could you please photo and PM message me. Trying to decipher numbers form within a flaking/rusting chrome frame, I have a lot of half visible numbers. I think I have either R50, R58, R60, R68. I am working on the assumption that most factories generally only had a limited set of number punches, so if the scripts/fonts of the punches align I will be able to work out the date code on this frame.

koshari

Postby koshari » Wed May 28, 2014 1:46 pm

new freehub body came yesterday. cold set to 130mm and dished the wheel back to center, my elite is now 8 speed, loving that 26 tooth sprocket on the back, even if the brifters and the freehub body cost more than the bike is prolly worth.

brake cable still rattling...
Yes, it is unusual for the cables not to fit tightly. Usually the brake cables are a bit thicker than the gears ones to facilitate this (and presumably for additional strength).
looking at it further it may be rattling between the lugs, placed a little black pvc tape round it and pulled it back into the front lug, will see how it goes next ride.

bpmhigh

Postby bpmhigh » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:23 am

FYI, Repco decals now up on Cyclomondo.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:28 pm

bpmhigh wrote:FYI, Repco decals now up on Cyclomondo.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
And Ricardo as well. Woohoo

koen

Postby koen » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:21 am

Super modified Repco Trainer.
Winter is a good time for trainers...if any time is good. Ten minutes is an eternity. Don't think I've put up photos of my Repco ergo before.
I've done a few of these mods over the years. This particular trainer had been in the elements a long time and was quite rusted so that why I made a new wheel and it has timber floor supports.
I just downloaded a Sufferfest video to train with. A bit cheesy American but it does actually keep the motivation going for an hour on the machine.

I put a cheap speedo with the magnet/sensor on the crank arm and set the wheel size so that the speed is cadence/10.. ie: 9.7kph is 97 cadence.
(cadence is a good thing to monitor during efforts)

koen

Postby koen » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:10 pm

Just a note more on Repco wind trainers. You see them occassionally still for near nothing.

I like to do indoor training on them as it saves wearing out the bike on a stand. The one piece bmx style crank I change to a square taper axle and better , if cheap, cranks. You can usually search out some cheapish "one piece bb" square taper bb on the net. I got a really good one from the LBS once but haven't priced them lately. The chain length to the first axle is short so takes some jiggerring to useful gears that don't drop the chain. I usually split an old freewheel and modify it as there is too much chain angle to use more than four or five cogs but I choose the gears I can train with well. I move the chain by hand on the chainrings if they need changing for more puny riders :)
If using speedo on crank arm to get cadence/10 then the circumference to input is 1667mm or 167cm

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:48 pm

koshari wrote:brake cable still rattling...looking at it further it may be rattling between the lugs, placed a little black pvc tape round it and pulled it back into the front lug, will see how it goes next ride.
If it needs to be slightly thicker, heat shrink tubing shrunk on might work and is neater than tape.

koshari

Postby koshari » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:43 pm

the tape seems to have done the job and i cut it thin enough so it isnt visable (only prefsent in the ferrule).

anyway ordered a compact crank and hollowtek bb for it, will place the original crank aside, just not strong enough to climb on the 42 front atm.

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:58 pm

While where on trainers :mrgreen: This was made in radalaide in the 80's for a gym chain. Of course I did it up with some Record Shimano 600 3ttt and remade the central drive. The guy I bought it off had 3 of them.

koshari

Postby koshari » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:36 pm

what are those brake cables doing attached to the spring at base of the frame?

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:15 am

It's only to hold the brake levers out.

koshari

Postby koshari » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:18 pm

theres a 80s tri series on ebay down rosebud on the mornington pen
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Repco-super- ... 2a3eeea087" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and also a repco excersie bike in moe
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Repco-bionic ... 2590f9aaad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Equip_Pro2

Postby Equip_Pro2 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:27 pm

This site is great. Came across this after looking on the net for things about Repco Superlites. I have enjoyed scrolling through the pages of comments and great photos. This has got me inspired to get a few more repcos. Particularly like the lo pro tt that some of you have picked up. I'm very jealous. I can't imagine they come up to often. If anyone has one they wish to sell please pm me.

I've only got to page 18 to date whilst watching the tour.

Happy biking.

munga

Postby munga » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:45 pm

i'm selling mine.

Equip_Pro2

Postby Equip_Pro2 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:09 pm

Hi Munga,

I've seen some of your bikes, they look great. Which one in particular. PM some details to me.

Cheers

munga

Postby munga » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:03 am

My vertex TT. Will PM you tonight

munga

Postby munga » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:52 pm

PM sent.

reynolds 531c.
53cm square c-c, 6cm drop from rear to front of top tube.
650c front wheel. not for pretenders (hence the sale ;) )
all standard except saddle, tyres, front wheel and upgraded reynolds 653 fork (replaced due to failed brazing, not accident damage. original fork was supplied. bike had 700c fork and wheel fitted when i bought it).
frame is straight and true.

joelgp

Postby joelgp » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:02 pm

munga wrote:PM sent.

reynolds 531c.
53cm square c-c, 6cm drop from rear to front of top tube.
650c front wheel. not for pretenders (hence the sale ;) )
all standard except saddle, tyres, front wheel and upgraded reynolds 653 fork (replaced due to failed brazing, not accident damage. original fork was supplied. bike had 700c fork and wheel fitted when i bought it).
frame is straight and true.
I've been looking for a Repco Vertex TT for ages now and even missed out on one 6 months ago. Shattered. I'm a new member if you can PM me, because I'd love to own it!
Cheers,
Joel (here hoping with first post to become a repco owner and fan)

munga

Postby munga » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:20 pm

PM sent joelgp.

Equip_Pro2 is interested, but if it falls through...

munga

Postby munga » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:06 am

sold!

i am officially repco-free. not sure how i feel about that. maybe i'll buy an olympic 12 to rat around on.

schuberj

Postby schuberj » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:32 pm

munga wrote:i am officially repco-free. not sure how i feel about that. maybe i'll buy an olympic 12 to rat around on.
That is almost a bit sad Munga! I have this bad habit of not being able to get rid of any Repcos, especially the ones around '87 to '90. Fortunately (if that is the correct word) enough of them seem to get written off to keep the numbers in check.