Paid parking at train stations

Scott_C

Re: Paid parking at train stations

Postby Scott_C » Thu May 15, 2014 8:10 pm

Some further info on the paid parking is available here:
http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/Service ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikedufty wrote:Seems like a sound idea for weekdays, not sure why they need to charge $2 a day on Sundays though.
The parking fee will apply between 5am and 9pm on weekdays. Weekends and public holidays will be free parking.
worzel wrote:I do hope there is a season ticket option.
There isn't a season pass option but there is going to be a way to link your SmartRider to your rego number so that you don't need to display a ticket, just swipe your SmartRider at the parking machine near the station entrance and keep on walking. Transperth are calling it "SmartParker".

Paper parking tickets will not be available at Swanbourne and East Guildford (SmartParker only) and will only be able to be purchased using a SmartRider at Fremantle (no cash sales) to make it harder for people not using Transperth services to get cheap parking at the train station. If you pay for parking using a SmartRider you must then use the SmartRider on a train or bus before it can be used for parking again.

Paid parking applies to motorcycles, motorised scooters, seniors, ACROD bays and people travelling to events on 'transport included' tickets. Bicycles shelters are remaining free of charge.

worzel

Postby worzel » Thu May 15, 2014 9:34 pm

Scott_C wrote:There isn't a season pass option but there is going to be a way to link your SmartRider to your rego number so that you don't need to display a ticket, just swipe your SmartRider at the parking machine near the station entrance and keep on walking. Transperth are calling it "SmartParker".
That is almost brilliant. But my wife and I swap cars almost daily depending on who is doing shopping / taking the dog to the park etc and we will have to remember to log into the smartrider website each day to manage which vehicle we are in.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Thu May 15, 2014 10:19 pm

worzel wrote:That is almost brilliant. But my wife and I swap cars almost daily depending on who is doing shopping / taking the dog to the park etc and we will have to remember to log into the smartrider website each day to manage which vehicle we are in.
If you both already have SmartRiders it would probably be better to link yours to one car and hers to the other and swap SmartRiders when you swap cars (or leave the SmartRiders in the cars). Other options would be to get another SmartRider (not great as you'd need to setup Autoload on both to get the full discount on travel and would be floating twice as much money to Transperth but it may be worth it for the convenience) or use SmartParker when driving one car and paper tickets with the other, which you can still pay for using the SmartRider.

worzel

Postby worzel » Fri May 16, 2014 12:49 pm

Scott_C wrote:
worzel wrote:That is almost brilliant. But my wife and I swap cars almost daily depending on who is doing shopping / taking the dog to the park etc and we will have to remember to log into the smartrider website each day to manage which vehicle we are in.
If you both already have SmartRiders it would probably be better to link yours to one car and hers to the other and swap SmartRiders when you swap cars (or leave the SmartRiders in the cars). Other options would be to get another SmartRider (not great as you'd need to setup Autoload on both to get the full discount on travel and would be floating twice as much money to Transperth but it may be worth it for the convenience) or use SmartParker when driving one car and paper tickets with the other, which you can still pay for using the SmartRider.
I had thought of those and yes we both have smartriders with autoload, I even have a couple of spares with small top ups for when we have visitors. But work reimburses my travel costs and so I need to put the whole lot on one Smartrider account to print a statement each month. The simplest solution would be if my smartrider account had 2 cars listed and accepted either but not both (though that doesn't help when my wife occassionally parks at the station too - transperth would need to somehow link the smartrider accounts, both with both cars listed, then the system accept two cars / two smartriders in whatever combination).

worzel

Postby worzel » Sat May 24, 2014 12:44 pm

I have been asking around and several of my friends report they use various vehicles during the course of the week so will also have to muck about each morning activating a different car against their Smartrider (and inevitably getting into trouble occasionally when they forget). Anyway, I have logged into the new website and registered both cars for now. But I also note that the part of the new website where you register for the bike parking at stations is still not up.

justalf

Postby justalf » Tue May 27, 2014 6:32 pm

Maybe we could do a survey on how many people use multiple cars.
How many cars do they drive to the station per week?
Do they share the cars?
If they can afford multiple cars then why do they care paying a few hundred bucks for parking over a year when having multiple cars costs thousands?
1st world rant over.
Yep, I have some bike.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue May 27, 2014 9:51 pm

justalf wrote:1st world rant over.
We have two motor vehicles in our household. One carries seven plus cargo. The other only five ( up from two a while back) but uses less fuel (and is more comfortable to boot).

Two days a week both are needed to scatter the household (and friends, family and hangers on) around the 'burbs and gather them up again. Which gets used by whom depends on destinations and loads. Sports are big in our household (Ms Strzelecki would be welcome) as are Family Events(tm) so where and when varies a lot.

While multiple modes of transport (car, bus, train, bike and foot) are used most days we need both motor vehicles twice or thrice weekly. On a good week we add taxi and aircraft as well, just for interest's sake.

First world problem, definitely. Still, a real problem.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

justalf

Postby justalf » Tue May 27, 2014 10:12 pm

Thoglette, you are definitely excused, if you ever get stuck I'll let you borrow my submarine. But everyone else can still lump it!
Yep, I have some bike.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri May 30, 2014 10:36 pm

justalf wrote:Thoglette, you are definitely excused,
Thanks!
justalf wrote:if you ever get stuck I'll let you borrow my submarine.
Great! - I've been on one but not gone to sea :-(

One door closes, another opens...youngest one wants me to build a hovercraft ("some plywood, an inner tube and wire the vacuum up backwards", I'm told)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

softy

Postby softy » Sat May 31, 2014 9:59 am

Thoglette wrote:
justalf wrote:Thoglette, you are definitely excused,
Thanks!
justalf wrote:if you ever get stuck I'll let you borrow my submarine.
Great! - I've been on one but not gone to sea :-(

One door closes, another opens...youngest one wants me to build a hovercraft ("some plywood, an inner tube and wire the vacuum up backwards", I'm told)
But will transperth charge you parking for it?

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:33 am

Crackdown on train station parking
Transperth has become aware of drivers who leave their cars in train station carparks, take their bicycles out of the boots and ride into the city.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:30 am

Is there a condition of entry, that users must use public transport to use this public car park? If not, bad luck, as if an individual if using the car park to get access to the PSP, then it is still one less person using the roads to go the whole distance to work.

The article quotes the car parks as been used for shoppers and 'private charter bus'. Interestingly, a 'private charter bus' operates from the Perth Arena for Mounts Bay Hospital. It gets up my goat that they stand on the PSP waiting for the bus.

It is interesting to see what is creeping out of the wood work, at this late piece, given that it only two weeks until this is applied. Hope Local Government is ready to fine individuals who attempt to avoid paying the fee by parking on legal streets where they shouldn't be. There has already been an increase around Glendalough, where Stirling introduced paid parking in May 2014 on some local streets, so the punters just moved to other locations where it is 'free/illegal'.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:11 am

Because we want to offer as many parking bays to our passengers as possible Transperth car parks are, as always, strictly for Transperth passengers only.

When you’re using your SmartRider to pay for parking, you must tag on a Transperth bus or train on the same day. If you don’t, you won’t be able to use your SmartRider to pay for parking the next time you attempt use SmartParker or a Pay ‘n’ Display machine. If this happens to you, you’ll need to make a Transperth journey using your SmartRider to reactivate your card. You’ll then be able to use your SmartRider for parking the following day.

roller

Postby roller » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:00 am

rolandp wrote:Hope Local Government is ready to fine individuals who attempt to avoid paying the fee by parking on legal streets where they shouldn't be. There has already been an increase around Glendalough, where Stirling introduced paid parking in May 2014 on some local streets, so the punters just moved to other locations where it is 'free/illegal'.
they'll be rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect.

mind you, I don't wish parking fines on anyone.
inflammatory statement or idea

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:22 am

You could still park and cycle, but you'd have to stop at 2 stations to tag on and tag off. But if you have a bike there must be plenty of parking options further from a station.

cray-

Postby cray- » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:16 pm

There are a few who park at Cockburn Stn and then ride in to the city, I can understand why, the roads from the East are treacherous at best. I certainly don't begrudge them the parking space, still one less car on the freeway as others have noted.

Karati

Postby Karati » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:54 pm

I couldn't believe that article this morning. It's clearly discouraging people to ride their bikes. I see quite a few people park at Bassendean station and then ride to the city (probably due to lack of infrastructure past Bassendean!)

Typical Perth short sightedness.

I do however like the idea above. Park at Basso, tag on and then tag off as you go through Baysie. Sorted.

worzel

Postby worzel » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:00 pm

I don't do the ride from the station thing, but options could be:
Get there well before 7 and take your bike on the train but cycle home
Cycle the first half, then park and ride (risks no bike parking / getting your bike nicked)
Pay cash for a paper ticket and do what you like (the best idea)
Unless you live in Jurien Bay etc, cycle the extra distance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:17 pm

mikedufty wrote:You could still park and cycle, but you'd have to stop at 2 stations to tag on and tag off. But if you have a bike there must be plenty of parking options further from a station.
Wouldn't you be still charged for the train fare - even travelling in the same zone costs $2.00.

I love the creativity coming out of this topic.

There is a 'free parking' area near City of Stirling where I see lots of people park, get their bike out and ride. I like this as these individuals are still getting their 30mins exercise a day, not taking up a spot on the train etc. And in several cases, I see some of these individuals take the next step and cycle the whole way in.

worzel

Postby worzel » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:43 pm

rolandp wrote:There is a 'free parking' area near City of Stirling where I see lots of people park, get their bike out and ride. I like this as these individuals are still getting their 30mins exercise a day, not taking up a spot on the train etc. And in several cases, I see some of these individuals take the next step and cycle the whole way in.
I have noticed that (and others doing the same by Glendalough station until recently). Personally, it wouldn't be worth driving through the worst bottlenecks on the freeway at Ocean Reef Road etc to get on my bike when I have already done 75% of the journey where the freeway starts to free up again. I am no Cadel Evans but the CBD wouldn't take long at all from either of those.

Now if there was somewhere circa Whitfords, maybe even dedicated to cyclists it might be worth my while driving to there in which case I would cycle every day rather than alternate ones. Anyone from government reading this willing to consider that as a truly bike-friendly option rather than revenue raising? I have read a few times that they are only really targeting the 15km nearest the city with infrastructure, so what about the rest of us.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:11 pm

Karati wrote:I couldn't believe that article this morning. It's clearly discouraging people to ride their bikes. I see quite a few people park at Bassendean station and then ride to the city (probably due to lack of infrastructure past Bassendean!)

Typical Perth short sightedness.

I do however like the idea above. Park at Basso, tag on and then tag off as you go through Baysie. Sorted.
Where is the shortsightedness? They just don't have the same commitment to someone cycling as they do to their own customers. Totally reasonable. Transperth doesn't owe it to cyclists to provide them with parking any more than it does to a nearby shopping centre, medical practice or kindergarten.

If a rider can park at the railway station only to hop on their bike then they can also park in the street a km away and take their bike out there instead. That adds to their transit time, what, 2 to 3 minutes? Whereas a person walking is gonna be walking 20 minutes. Has it escaped your attention that riding a km is far less onerous than walking the same?

Bearing in mind that you are only at Bassendean station for a limited time, then if you are seeing "quite a few" cyclists taking up a bay in that time, then there will be MANY more doing so in the course of rush time. That could be, as far as Transperth are concerned, many prospective passengers that either have to hoof it a fair way on foot or dispense with the train and drive a car.

Ideally of course, people in Perth will should not expect large volumes of parking at stations and catch a bus instead. That then means that the trains do more than simply reduce the congestion and cost on freeway infrastructure. It also reduces congestion and costs on other roads too. Perth is among the more generous cities in Oz according to published numbers.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

softy

Postby softy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:19 pm

Moving parkers on, does not reduce the cars wanting to park. They will find somewhere else to park.

Can't wait till the first of july, it will be kaos!

:roll:

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:28 pm

softy wrote:Moving parkers on, does not reduce the cars wanting to park. They will find somewhere else to park.
Or they'll take a car instead.

But even if they still do take the train, why should they have to park well away just so some selfish cyclist can save themselves a few minutes. And why should Transperth fund it?

I don't think much of the Barnett government but I can't fault this. If anyone is to park at a train station it should be those riding on a train. It is a pity that it will, however, reduce the financial benefit of taking public transport over taking a car by $2 a day. :cry:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:45 pm

worzel wrote:Now if there was somewhere circa Whitfords, maybe even dedicated to cyclists it might be worth my while driving to there in which case I would cycle every day rather than alternate ones. Anyone from government reading this willing to consider that as a truly bike-friendly option rather than revenue raising? I have read a few times that they are only really targeting the 15km nearest the city with infrastructure, so what about the rest of us.
I responded to PTA's public comment in relation to car park expansions, in particular Greenwood and Whitfords, going back a couple of years. I indicated that car parks weren't required at stations, if we looked at alternatives including Hillarys or Kingsway Sporting Centres, which already have large car parks, but are only used on week-ends. TransPerth would then provide regular buses from these locations, as well as other benefits which included better public transport access to these facilities. I lost this argument, and the car parks were built, which we are finally charging individuals to use.

If we use similar logic, and try to locate smaller car parks (as there are less individuals riding than motorists), then you get Kingsley Park or Craigie Leisure Centre. Do your own research to make sure there are available car parks being underutilised when you want to leave your car, and that there is no restriction. You also want to make sure they are safe, you are not annoying anyone etc, but there must be lots of car parks which go unused during the working hour week, which could be used for your purpose.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:58 am

Pretty sure the Kingsway car park is served deliberately by Transperth buses as they see it as a satellite park and ride.