Race Report Thread

jules21

Re: Race Report Thread

Postby jules21 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:13 pm

dalai47 wrote:Pity about the spoke but at least you can ride tomorrow. 3DT is a great local tour, only done it the once but will look at signing up next year!
it is a great race - i've never done one like it, it really stretches your legs out.
mrgolf wrote:Jules, I feel your pain.
how did you go with the last race? i should have theoretically been denied a start. funny as i felt like i could have given it a shake in the sprint today.

Tarquin

Postby Tarquin » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:10 pm

Tough handicap race at the weekend, I hate handicaps, no hiding your weak spots in the bunch!

60km and 1000m+ elevation.

Averaged 271w weighted average 290w.

I was pulling turns where I could but the course was mostly rolling with two 3rd cat and a couple of 4th climbs thrown in there. I found I was struggling to do a turn on the flat, but then I wasn't the fastest on the climbs either. Some of the time I had to just sit on and skip turns to avoid blowing up then do a few more when I had my legs back.

We only had 5 minutes on the scratch bunch from the start and I got caught at the very end on the line by the fastest scratch rider, the rest rolled in a couple of minutes later so we obviously had good pace!

Destroyed myself a bit too much I think, did 40km very easy yesterday just to get moving and my legs were sore.

Did another 25km today, still feeling sore but a little improved!

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:40 am

jules21 wrote: how did you go with the last race? i should have theoretically been denied a start. funny as i felt like i could have given it a shake in the sprint today.
I did OK. Rode on my tubs. Legs felt fine and had the opportunity to go for a solo break, but the prospect of 12kms return into a headwind on the final lap solo was enough to convince me to sit up. Came down to a bunch sprint up a 2-300m climb at about 12-13% and I selected too easy a gear. By the time I corrected that, it was all over. Too much distance to chase down. Never mind. I will wait for a hill top finish.

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:46 pm

FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:11 pm

last weekend

C grade scratch
PDCC
Serpentine
7 June 2014

http://www.strava.com/activities/150417760

Another race, another total lack of warm up. At least there were no hills and I knew the course.

Halfway down Gull road and I was on the front riding hard, While I am not the best cornerer, sometimes on purpose I will take a corner poorly. The corner into Rapids road, was one example of them. Gary came round the outside, so I slowed into the corner then punched hard out of it and waited for the reaction. There was, a couple of the stronger riders were out of the saddle chasing Gary's wheel, then everybody slowed.

I dropped back to my usual position as ticket collector to sit and watch, with 14 riders, I could easily react to any attacks. Plus it was safer to take my Asthma medication every lap due to burning off on one property.

I sat back and watched the attacks which where quickly covered. Most of the attacks were with a tailwind down Rapids road. I was wondering why nobody attacked in the crosswinds on Karnup road. Then Lachlan attacked and got a gap on Karnup road. Lachlan is an under 15 rider who I have raced a few times, we are about on par when it comes to time trialling, so I did not want to get too far off the front. The bunch's half hearted pursuit of Lachlan slowed into cross head winds of Gull Road. So took off in pursuit, the bunch might let me or Lachlan alone up the road, but the two of us was a different story.

It took me a couple of kilometres of Gull road to catch Lachlan, and while I could not see the bunch directly behind me, I knew they were there. I went straight past Lachlan, he made no attempt to grab my wheel, so I knew the bunch was very close. A few hundred metres later as I swung on to Rapids Road I was caught.

As we swung onto Karnup road, I thought this would be a good time to attack, not everybody would of recovered from the last chase. Instead I decided to wait until the next lap. Unfortunately next lap, we were passed by A grade on Karnup Road. No chance to attack, if I got off the front of C grade I would be at the back of A grade with nowhere to go. Instead, I decided to contest the sprint.

I selected the wheel to sit on carefully, my pick for the sprint was Tim, but he was right up the front. Next choice was Bruce, a big strong rider with a tendency to go long. Could not get Bruce's wheel, but claimed my place on another strong sprinter on Bruce's wheel.

As we headed up Karnup road, got talking to Brian, who wanted to attack long. I dropped back onto Brian's wheel. Expecting Brian to attack, get off the front for a few hundred metres, Bruce to come past, I would grab his wheel and see what would happen.

It almost went to plan, Brian attacked and caused chaos as other riders reacted, I was on his wheel. It was only about 100 metres later Bruce came pass, I jumped on the freight train with a couple of other riders, then 400 metres or so from home Bruce was gone, cramps I heard later.

No where to hide, the three riders spread wide on the road, I tried to jump again but my legs just did not have it in them and the younger legs of Lachlan and Anthony rode away from me, a couple hundred metres later I was swamped and finished sixth.

Looking at the numbers, I did my recorded my highest 5 seconds of power ever, when I jumped from the group in pursuit of Lachlan and my best ever 90 seconds of power in the final sprint, even if I did fade. The other numbers were less impressive, average power down 10% and 2.5kph slower than the last C grade race here and that was a lap longer.

I need to make the races harder by being more aggressive, I perform better in races which are harder. Or more to the point other people suffer more than me in those races and my results are better. I should not sit and the back and wait for the race to unfold. I am strong enough to attack and attack repeatedly. I should of put in at least three or four solid attacks in that race and try to tired everybody else out. Well there is always next time.

C grade scratch
WCMCC
Pickering Brook
8 June

http://www.strava.com/activities/150790649

After racing on Saturday and deciding to be more aggressive, what do I do racing on Sunday. The first few laps I sit at the back just watching and waiting. Actually it was more learning a course I was unfamiliar with and getting more confident with a fast descent and a couple of corners. Also as there were fires dotted around the course, the back was safest place, so I could regularly use on my asthma medication.

When the pace picked up, I did move up the pack, only to be in the middle of the bunch and have the rider in front pop on a climb and have to move around him. Though I would drop back for the descent and fly up the climb on the other side, only to hit the brakes so not to run into other riders who slowed and spread across the road.

After a couple of tentative attacks, two riders established a break. The bunch did not seem concerned. Though at one stage, I was a little worried so I went to the front up Forrest Road and rode hard the gradual climb, halved the distance to the breakaway and rolled to the back with legs full of lactic acid.

Next lap, up Forrest Road we caught the sole leader of D grade, on the descent I was off the back picking my line on the descent for my charge off the front next lap. I rode into the back of the bunch on the ascent with the D grade rider who then overtook the bunch and the breakaway. A little deflating for the breakaway and an indication of how slow we were going.

The breakaway was picked on the drag up Repatriation road. Another rider went off the front and once we turned onto Pickering Brook road, I took of in pursuit, caught him before the turn with the bunch strung out behind me. Drove hard up Forrest road, hoping to cause damage on the descent and sharp climb. Did not even get to the top of Forrest road drag when my the muscles in my left calf started spasming. Could not even turn the pedals over. I could not swing left as rider was coming up the inside, so I swung out yelling cramp and rubbed shoulders with another rider.

Lost 100 metres in the next 200 metres before finding the spasms had stopped and I could pedal. Set off in pursuit, went hard down the descent and hammered up the climb got to within 10 metres and the bang that was it, my legs turned to rubber, I was cooked. Into the small ring and cruise to the finish.

Overall, happy with my performance, I do not go into WCMCC races aiming to finish in the top 10, which I could do if I rode conservatively. I race to improve my skills, confidence, performance and have fun. Which is why I attacked with a lap to go. There was no power peaks like yesterday, actually the numbers were very ordinary. I did not spend enough time at the front end of the race, I had muscle spasms and blew up earlier the I hoped, but I chased hard. On the plus side of the ledger, I am getting a better understanding of how hard I can race, that I need to improve my hydration when racing, even in winter. The most important takeaway, was that I no longer fear the Pickering Brook course, the corners, the descents and short climb have been conquered and I am looking forward to racing there again.

Tarquin

Postby Tarquin » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:02 pm

Short handicap this week, off in a small group from the block. Only had 1 minute on scratch, immediately after the start we has to stop and wait for traffic on the road so lost 30 seconds straight away.

It had just rained quite heavily and I have developed a nervousness for cornering at speed in the wet, I'm not sure why, I've only crashed once, on ice. In another country! A few tight 90 degree corners had me drop a little off the others so I sat up and pedalled easy 250-300w. 30 seconds later scratch came past flying along at 50kmh+ in a big group.

I joined in after catching my breath and started to swap off turns, the roads dried out and it was a little better. We hit the CAT4 at speed, and I'd just done a few turns in quick succession, a lot of people were just sat on for the ride. Got to the steepest bit and I was feeling bad, decided to stop and turn early. Rode to the finish feeling down.

I think all the hanging around at the start for 20 minutes or so didn't help and I didn't warm my legs up enough, my left felt like it was tightening up when I stopped. I'd rather do turns and blow up than sit on the back and do nothing. Scratch didn't catch all the groups ahead, too short a distance and too much time given by the handicapper!

Back training this week, I missed my Friday when I was feeling really good due to a broken wheel, but have got a spare set now so no excuses!

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:46 pm

Stairway to Heaven
14/6/2014
ACTVCC Apollo Road road race E grade

This is one of those road races that I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with. It is basically a bit of a warm up followed by a big 9km hillclimb. Now having been 105kg for the last 6 years or so didn’t increase my fondness for the climbs. I’ve usually been the worst climber in E grade, and often the worst in F grade too.
This year I’ve lost a bit of weight and was 96kg this morning and I was looking forward to seeing the improvement.

I went back through the records and I’d only raced this course twice before, and Marshalled twice. Last year John and I were all set to do it on the tandem but we overcooked a rim on the descent to the start and we had to withdraw before it even started. The previous results were from F grade, the first I rocked up not knowing what to expect with completely the wrong gearing, 39x23 from memory. I may have even had to walk in places and I finished in 1.39.38. The next year I turned up with a 39x34 and rode a 1.30.13 but that was still 7 minutes behind the winner of F grade. Last year’s race turned 1km shorter than previous versions and the E grade winner Tony came in with 1.18.25.

Today’s race was the same course as last year. Unlike my first two attempts at this race, the pace was pretty steadily on from the start, not really hard but no Sunday dawdle either. I negotiated the back side of Mt Tenant ok, the fast group got away from me on the return climb but not by so far that I couldn’t chase back on. Apart from that about 8 of us were still together at the start of the big climb up Apollo Road to the Honeysuckle Ck campground. After that there’s not a lot to say. It went up, it was hard. I climbed pretty well and ended up 6th of 11 starters, squarely in the middle of the grade.

I was pretty stoked with that result, especially with the time of 1.11.36, within 6 minutes of the winner Tony who will be off to D grade on the back of this I’d expect. Second and third were at 1.08.40 so I was less than 3 minutes off them, which I am more than happy with.

Cheers,

Cameron

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:12 pm

Stairway to Heaven? Is that what its called?

View from A grade

I enjoyed the race yesterday. I had some expectations coming into this race that needed backing up. I knew I would do well, and was feeling determined. In the end, the first 25kms were soft as everyone was saving their legs for the climb. There were no real attacks and no one wanted to push a high tempo. I was suffering with sinus headache so just took even turns and went with the flow. Then we hit the climb. A 9km brute at average 6% with some ramps at about 16%. The middle third is the tricky bit, but if you have kept enough in reserve to not destroy yourself there, the final third is undulating and easy to keep good pace on.

At the base of the climb i went to the front and straightaway pushed the tempo instantly cracking one rider. By 1km in, I had the remained in trouble with only one trig to stay with me and the gap opening up all the time. From there it was a matter of time trialling up the remainder to try and match last years time. I missed by 40 sec, which wasn't bad considering i had no one to push me up the climb. Last year I was chasing a break. I stayed on threshold for much of the climb, but managed it well. It felt good. If only the club had more hilltops.

Cameron, any news of the guy who had the heart attack?

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:31 pm

Hi mrgolf,

The only news I have came from 'The Bleat' which reported that Richard is alert and happy and will be released on Tuesday. For everyone else Richard started getting chest pains well after the race was over and he was standing around having a cup of tea. Clearly riding up steep hills is not a problem, drinking tea is clearly a dangerous activity however.

Not sure about mrgolf's numbers though. Only 16%? Some of those ramps are more like the north face of Everest.

Cheers,

Cameron

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:56 pm

FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:27 pm

brilliant stuff! i wish i could be more competitive in TTs. they seem to elude me. that's a big result..

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:32 pm

21 June
ACTVCC - Orroral Valley Road race
E grade
30km
Average 2

The scene:
The weather wasn't great, but not too bad. About 9 or 10 degrees, with some light passing showers.
The course is bizarrely one of my favourites. The course is not long but is full of short but steep climbs and is either 1.5 or 2 laps of a stretch of road with U turns at either end. Many of the hills are preceded by a downhill, so there are a few transitions from 70km/h in top gear to struggling uphill. It is these transitions that I particularly like, being able to hit the bottom at speed and carrying momentum can get you a long way up the next climb and I seem to do that much better than the others I race against. These transitions also really test out the bikes shifting, so often results in retirements from mechanicals. The course often results in bunches breaking apart entirely, particularly in E grade where there is a bigger disparity in climbing prowess than in the higher grades, so it often turns into an ITT with people travelling at different relative speeds depending on the terrain they find more favourable.

The Players:
Only 8 turned up to race today, the slightly dodgy weather and the courses reputation for being hard seemed to have scared away the usual suspects. The handicapper still hasn't caught up with me and I am showing up in the system as F grade, but I put myself up to E grade (putting yourself up a grade is easy, putting yourself down a grade is either frowned upon or grounds for disqualification). There were two others who also put themselves up from F to E. Bob hasn't done much racing since last winter when he was genuinely F grade. Since then however he has recently ridden from Perth to Canberra, and afterwards he told me that he is lighter than he's been for 24 years. His only race after that was a handicap where he started with F grade, but left them behind and rode most of the race by himself to win by 2 minutes. John has raced E grade in criteriums, but is F for road races, although his last race in F grade was a scratch race that he won by 4 min. There was another John (B) who hasn't raced for 3 years, Mike who is one of the E grade benchmarks, Ian who last week beat me up the big hill last week by a minute, Rosemary who broke a collarbone a couple of months ago and is not back into form yet, and Linda who hasn't been in good form lately.

The Race:
Whilst I like the course, my previous races have always started badly, the first few hundred metres puts you straight onto one of the steep pinches which has always caused me to get dropped. Today I went to the front from the start and stayed there and I got to the top at second wheel. The second and third climbs saw the bunch trimmed down with Bob out front and I was just behind Mike, John, JohnB and Ian, however we all re-formed on the descent to the first turn. It pretty quickly became obvious that Bob and John were the best climbers of the group, and I was about the fourth or fifth best climber.

Given the nature of the course I attacked the downhills and between that and Bob and John simply riding away up the hills, by the time we crossed the line with a lap to go the three of us were within a few seconds of each other, with a gap to the others. We weren't riding together so much as riding in the vicinity of each other, with gaps continually opening and closing, primarily with me losing ground on the ups, and then reeling them back in on the downs. Bob and John were not riding together either.

By the highpoint of the race with less than 10km to go, Bob had about a minute lead over John, who was only half a minute ahead of me. Coming down towards the turn I caught John and shouted encouragement to get onto my wheel as I was still chasing Bob and wanted some help. Whilst I was able to get some help from John going back up to the highpoint, he eventually rode away again, leaving me with another desperate chase. Fortunately I was able to catch him just before the last climb and was able to stay with him up that. This was especially important since the final run to the line involves a tricky high-speed corner on a damp road, and I didn't really need to be behind and trying to overtake at that point, there is not much space to come past anyone between the corner and the line. In the end I went to the front and was able to pull away for a comfortable second place.

So in the end it was the three F graders (soon to be upgraded I'd expect) taking out E grade with less than a minute between us, but a full 5 minutes ahead of Mike, who was a minute and a half ahead of Rosemary, Ian, and Linda who were within a few seconds of each other (and John B DNF). All in all a thoroughly satisfying race. All things going well it'll be back on the tandem for next week.

Cheers,

Cameron

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:47 am

Nice one, Cameron. It was tough out there, but you looked strong each time we passed.

A grade conditions were exactly the same. The race was longer (? an extra half lap?) but there were only 5 that showed up. The last corner had the potential to be very hazardous on a steep descent with a nicely banked corner in the wet, so that part was essentially neutralised to avoid big crashes. I was very nervous and quite tentative going around and wanted to avoid riding out of my comfort zone.

Accordingly, as soon as we were let off the leash, I attacked and intended to keep a solo break for the race. I went out hard and had about 20sec by the first turnaround. Looking back up each climb, it seemed they were right on me, but after each descent, there was a bigger gap. Encouraged by not knowing the true situation, I continued pushing to eke out a bigger advantage. Each turn saw the gap grow, and on the final lap, despite my legs feeling like they were fading, I relaxed a bit knowing they wouldn't be able to come back. Even so, my time for the upward leg on the second lap (3.5kms) was only 6 seconds faster than the first. At the final turnaround, I had over two minutes to the next rider, who was ages in front of third. They had splintered and it was all over. I pushed down the descent but took it easy into the final corner and came home a healthy 2:45 in front of second.

I have never attempted such a long break, but it is a poignant reminder to me that attacking needs to be my focus in a time where I have lost all my aggression and willingness to take tactical risks to try and win races. Ive been sitting on my hands too long. This race suited my strengths with 1000m climb over 40kms, but I still need to employ the same head space in flatter races and back myself going long, hard and lonely. A fun but very tough race and my legs are reminding me today.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:50 pm

mrgolf wrote:Nice one, Cameron. It was tough out there, but you looked strong each time we passed.

A grade conditions were exactly the same. The race was longer (? an extra half lap?) but there were only 5 that showed up. The last corner had the potential to be very hazardous on a steep descent with a nicely banked corner in the wet, so that part was essentially neutralised to avoid big crashes. I was very nervous and quite tentative going around and wanted to avoid riding out of my comfort zone.

Accordingly, as soon as we were let off the leash, I attacked and intended to keep a solo break for the race. I went out hard and had about 20sec by the first turnaround. Looking back up each climb, it seemed they were right on me, but after each descent, there was a bigger gap. Encouraged by not knowing the true situation, I continued pushing to eke out a bigger advantage. Each turn saw the gap grow, and on the final lap, despite my legs feeling like they were fading, I relaxed a bit knowing they wouldn't be able to come back. Even so, my time for the upward leg on the second lap (3.5kms) was only 6 seconds faster than the first. At the final turnaround, I had over two minutes to the next rider, who was ages in front of third. They had splintered and it was all over. I pushed down the descent but took it easy into the final corner and came home a healthy 2:45 in front of second.

I have never attempted such a long break, but it is a poignant reminder to me that attacking needs to be my focus in a time where I have lost all my aggression and willingness to take tactical risks to try and win races. Ive been sitting on my hands too long. This race suited my strengths with 1000m climb over 40kms, but I still need to employ the same head space in flatter races and back myself going long, hard and lonely. A fun but very tough race and my legs are reminding me today.
Thanks mrgolf,

you rode a good hard race and made the others look pretty second-rate.

Although thinking back, every time we passed I was going downhill, even where you overtook me was on the flat before a downhill. I always look good going down. :)

I'm still not sure of the purpose of the marshall on the last bend, both times I went around that corner I was going as fast as I felt safe to do so, and I'm sure the others did the same. My speed was unaffected by the presence of someone there with a flag. The fact that my comfortable safe speed was at least 10km/h faster than those I was racing against is largely irrelevant because both times the rider in front was more than a few seconds ahead and the rider behind was losing ground. I really love that last corner. It really rewards good road positioning and corner entry. If you get it right it is beautiful, if you get it wrong it is just plain scary.

For those playing at home, the last corner is coming down a steep hill, so it is fast, it is a long corner with an embankment on the inside so that you can't see the exit and the radius tightens toward the end. The geography seems to sucker people in to turning in too early. If they do so they find that they are pointing the wrong way at the apex and their momentum will almost certainly carry them to the wrong side of the road on the exit, short of dodgy braking manoeuvres and really pushing the limits of traction. If you delay your turn in and apex later, the bike will make the turn like it's on rails and it is both confidence inspiring and fast. Even if I have no other time to warm up I will go and refresh my memory of the turn-in point for this one corner before the start of the race. Many people have been caught out by this corner and so choose to slow down before they get to it. Every time I go to that course I'll try to show someone else the right line for that corner because it is so much fun to get it right. I'm trying to turn it from a point of fear for many into the highlight of the course. My max speed for the day was 75.9 on my computer, and I'm pretty sure it was here.

Cheers,

Cameron

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:05 pm

oh man.. SMCC handicap, 70km, Cora Lynn. off 2nd from scratch (B grade group).

those of you who know about James Reason's work on contributing factors to accidents will be interested in this. basically i crashed and DNF'd. touch a wheel in front, almost caught it (similar to this by steele von hoff), but didn't and did a hand stand. absolutely gutted to bring down 2 other riders - never brought another rider down before, not something i want to repeat. luckily both were ok-ish, one couldn't continue.

in hindsight, racing a handicap was a bad idea. the afternoon beforehand i'd done some gardening and ripped out some weed roots, managing to get dirt half way up under my fingernails. as a result of the pain, i couldn't get to sleep easily. as the wife had taken the car, i had no choice but to get up at 5.40am and ride to my folks' place to borrow their car. i felt wrecked on the way out there and considered turning around, but told myself to HTFU and continued.

i actually felt good in the race but rolling turns take a lot of concentration and things got a bit chaotic when we started picking up slower riders who sat on - making it hard to tell when to cut in to the forward roll line - with riders sort of hanging around near the back of the 'chain' but holding off from cutting in. at one point someone yelled "IN!" quite loudly behind me and i turned momentarily to look for a gap. when i turned around again my wheel was about to impact the one ahead - he must have slowed or braked slightly - and that was it. i tried to put my foot down and nearly saved it, but didn't.

i wasn't too badly off, but my frame is cracked on the seat and down tubes. lesson for this crash - don't race when you're overly fatigued. i know that's soft but i feel so guilty bringing others down.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:18 pm

That's a hard lesson Jules. :cry:

Can't wait for the build report on the new bike though. :|

Cheers,

Cameron

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:02 pm

Bummer, Jules. Hope mental and physical recovery is quick.

Cam, my max speed was 68.4. You, sir, are a crazy man. Mind you, I was erring on the side of caution and I would not think for a second it would be unreasonable to suggest you descend more confidently than me. I think I am possibly a bit too lightweight to feel comfortable descending.

Toolish

Postby Toolish » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:26 pm

3rd race ever and first race in about 6 months on the weekend.

60km handicap, 30km out and back with the out section into a solid head wind.

I started in the second group which totalled 3 riders, first group was a solo rider who had about a 21 minute head start over us, about 3 minutes behind us was a group of 5 or 6, with another group of 4 or 5 a couple of minutes behind them, then a couple of other groups behind them.

I went in with pretty low expectations, really just wanted to last as long as I could, no delusions that I was going to be figuring in the results too much. Just wanted to contribute to the turns as long as possible then hang on as best I could.

Rolled turns for the first 27km into the wind, I tried to do what I could but I was starting to struggle to pull decent turns, averaged about 230 watts and 32kmh, got caught by the group behind at that point, rolled one more turn and got caught by the next group so at the turn around there was a solo rider off the front, a bunch of about 12 of us then a couple of groups of 3-4 each behind us.

Make the turn around, got the tail wind and away we went. I just stayed on the back with no plans of heading to the front. Hung on the back for 25km, as a bunch we caught and dropped the solo rider about 10km on the way back, averaged around 200 watts for 43-44kmh for the return journey. Finally popped off on a little up hill with about 5 km to go. Sat up, had a bite to eat and cruised in, did not see any of the other groups that were behind us.

Ended up averaging 37ish kmh and 215 watts. No way I could hold that sort of wattage in training, so there is a benefit there for sure. Really need to get quicker to actually be involved in the race though.
Last edited by Toolish on Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:04 pm

mrgolf wrote:Bummer, Jules. Hope mental and physical recovery is quick.

Cam, my max speed was 68.4. You, sir, are a crazy man. Mind you, I was erring on the side of caution and I would not think for a second it would be unreasonable to suggest you descend more confidently than me. I think I am possibly a bit too lightweight to feel comfortable descending.
Crazy is anyone quicker than the observer.

I am a confident descender with a lot more weight than you. I travel fast when I can but I'm not completely reckless. I have gone around that corner considerably faster in the dry on a tandem so I genuinely felt like I was backing it off. I was more cautious on the first lap and only got to 72km/h there. In this case getting the corner right makes a huge difference in speed. I've got that corner wrong and felt uncomfortable at 60km/h or so.

Descending speed is not a terribly useful asset in club racing with a rare exception being on this course. If I could get to the front of a group down that last hill, there are not many who could get past me before the finish.

Cheers,

Cameron

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:17 pm

Toolish wrote:3rd race ever and first race in about 6 months on the weekend.

60km handicap, 30km out and back with the out section into a solid head wind.

I started in the second group which totalled 3 riders, first group was a solo rider who had about a 21 minute head start over us, about 3 minutes behind us was a group of 5 or 6, with another group of 4 or 5 a couple of minutes behind them, then a couple of other groups behind them.

I went in with pretty low expectations, really just wanted to last as long as I could, no delusions that I was going to be figuring in the results too much. Just wanted to contribute to the turns as long as possible then hang on as best I could.

Rolled turns for the first 27km into the wind, I tried to do what I could but I was starting to struggle to pull decent turns, averaged about 230 watts and 32kmh, got caught by the group behind at that point, rolled one more turn and got caught by the next group so at the turn around there was a solo rider off the front, a bunch of about 12 of us then a couple of groups of 3-4 each behind us.

Make the turn around, got the tail wind and away we went. I just stayed on the back with no plans of heading to the front. Hung on the back for 25km, as a bunch we caught and dropped the solo rider about 10km on the way back, averaged around 200 watts for 43-44kmh for the return journey. Finally popped off on a little up hill with about 5 km to go. Sat up, had a bite to eat and cruised in, did not see any of the other groups that were behind us.

Ended up averaging 37ish kmh and 215 watts. No way I could hold that sort of wattage in training, so there is a benefit there for sure. Really need to get quicker to actually be involved in the race though.
Well done Toolish. To be dropped out of the winning bunch near the end of a handicap is a little frustrating but certainly no disgrace.

That return leg, riding at sustained speed for a while should do good things to you for next time. Just make it a shorter time gap before the next race.

Cheers,

Cameron

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:24 am

Race 2 of the Winter Series 20K TT
Its on a touch and technical time trial course with short and long undulations on a dead road. Only the second TT the Club had held on this course but it is a usual training route for me. My plan was to go 350-400w on the undulations and over the other side keeping the speed on the descent. On the flat to back off to 320w. TT started well caught to two riders in front of me who started in 30 sec gaps. Only at the 14k mark did I begin to hurt. The last 2k are false flat on a very dead road. Finished strong at 370w for the last km. Finished with the 4th fastest time.
Distance 20.6km
Avg 328w
Time 31:59
Avg Speed 38.1
Elevation 207m

Tarquin

Postby Tarquin » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:47 pm

Club champs A grade.

I abandoned after 20km due to bad weather!

Was a cloudy 11c at the start with 20-30kmh winds. Set off, pace wasn't too bad, kept up over the CAT3 climb that normally cracks me, 500m from the top the heavens open, big style.

I only have a winter jersey and normal bibs on, no foot warmers and just thin gloves, so I'm soaking up water pretty quickly.

Semi neutral descent for safety, then the wind picks right up, it's pelting down with rain stupidly hard, I can barely see the road and can't take my glasses off as I need my hands on the bars as I'm being blown all over, brakes are shocking as I'm using carbon rims. Ended up in the other traffic lane from a big gust and get a load of horn from a car who chose that point to try and pass....

Threw the towel in at the turn point closest to home, I was frozen and didn't feel comfortable racing, especially as we had another 55km to do. Rode home and had a 20 minute hot shower to recover.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:28 pm

Went out for the CCC race today. Bit blowy on the way out, but nothing on what was to come. Started raining on the start line and got worse as the race continued. Wind picked up massively half way through the first lap. Out at the turnaround the cross winds were massive, sudden and blustery. There were epic gusts hitting randomly and suddenly and illogically here and there. On the descents, where we were doing more than 50kmh, it became too much. My legs were feeling great, but I didn't have the confidence with 46mm tubs on to keep pace with the others. I was getting blown around everywhere. I dropped off the back a few times on descents and chased back on up the climbs, but as we approached the end of the first lap after I had launched a little attack, I stopped because my wheel was making a dodgy noise (dirt on the brake track as it turned out) and that was the final straw that convinced me to throw in the towel and live to ride another day.

Two of 8 riders in A and about 5 of 10 in B bailed at the end of the first lap. I heard later that the wind on the second lap was worse than on the first, so probably well justified. It was soaking with massive blustery winds. Just too dodgy combined with carbon rims offering little braking in the wet. Disappointed that I didn't finish. I hate not finishing. What would have happened (if I hadn't fallen off) is I would have continued to be gapped on descents, but probably more so. Then I would have spent big energy chasing back on only to be gapped again. Then on the final climb I would have got myself mid field and finished in an OK position. 46mm tubs were the wrong wheel choice for the conditions. 23mm would have been perfect. Yes, there were others with deep rims, but most were a bit heavier than me and I am also a nervous descender in the wet.

So, I rode home, got utterly soaked and cold. I couldn't even tell whether the water out of the tap was hot or cold. On the plus side, my new thin rain jacket is awesome and worth the investment. Hope I don't get sick. Epic. And then I think of Giro and Stelvio and think about how soft I am. Although the wind today was waaaay worse and it wasn't much warmer.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:50 pm

mrgolf wrote:Went out for the CCC race today. Bit blowy on the way out, but nothing on what was to come. Started raining on the start line and got worse as the race continued. Wind picked up massively half way through the first lap. Out at the turnaround the cross winds were massive, sudden and blustery. There were epic gusts hitting randomly and suddenly and illogically here and there. On the descents, where we were doing more than 50kmh, it became too much. My legs were feeling great, but I didn't have the confidence with 46mm tubs on to keep pace with the others. I was getting blown around everywhere. I dropped off the back a few times on descents and chased back on up the climbs, but as we approached the end of the first lap after I had launched a little attack, I stopped because my wheel was making a dodgy noise (dirt on the brake track as it turned out) and that was the final straw that convinced me to throw in the towel and live to ride another day.

Two of 8 riders in A and about 5 of 10 in B bailed at the end of the first lap. I heard later that the wind on the second lap was worse than on the first, so probably well justified. It was soaking with massive blustery winds. Just too dodgy combined with carbon rims offering little braking in the wet. Disappointed that I didn't finish. I hate not finishing. What would have happened (if I hadn't fallen off) is I would have continued to be gapped on descents, but probably more so. Then I would have spent big energy chasing back on only to be gapped again. Then on the final climb I would have got myself mid field and finished in an OK position. 46mm tubs were the wrong wheel choice for the conditions. 23mm would have been perfect. Yes, there were others with deep rims, but most were a bit heavier than me and I am also a nervous descender in the wet.

So, I rode home, got utterly soaked and cold. I couldn't even tell whether the water out of the tap was hot or cold. On the plus side, my new thin rain jacket is awesome and worth the investment. Hope I don't get sick. Epic. And then I think of Giro and Stelvio and think about how soft I am. Although the wind today was waaaay worse and it wasn't much warmer.
Some days are just made for old school low profile aluminium tubulars and/or disc brakes. At the end of the day getting home in one piece is a worthwhile outcome.

I went out to the ACTVCC race today. There were more marshals than riders and they called it off. So what if it was 4 degrees, raining and windy, it's an outdoor sport after all. I had my appropriate clothing with me.

Cheers,

Cameron

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:59 pm

Northern Combine ITT champs, 24km, Balliang.

sit down for this, but i knew i probably wasn't going to win the Masters 123 NC ITT championship. so i decided to make it a training day and ride out there. this post is more about my adventures getting there than the race itself.. i punched the route into Google Maps the night before, which has a handy "bicycle friendly route" function, then uploaded it to my Garmin for breadcrumb navigation.

rode out to Wyndam Vale on mostly bike paths and was loving life - thinking "how good is this?" then the road i was on had witches hats laid down and the bitumen finished, the gravel started. i thought "this isn't so bad, bit of gravel" but then the gravel turned into a muddy goat track. then i came up against locked gates. i jumped the gate, and continued on - what else could i do? by now i was clearly on access roads to private farmland, on 'roads' that were obviously only used by farmers moving between paddocks. it was pretty rough going.

to make things worse, my FD had jammed up and wouldn't shift onto the little ring.

this went on for about 20 slow, slushy and bumpy km, until i finally made it back to a graded, gravel road. i got into the tuck position on my TT bars in a vain attempt to make my start time, getting to Balliang, 75km later, about 1/2 hour late. luckily they let me start, although the clock was running. i didn't care, as i was on my 6 year old roadie with TT clip ons and i was stuffed.

the wind was brutal and i crawled along the out leg at about 20-25 km/h. some of the elite riders came blasting past me about 10 km/h faster than me. i didn't care. i was only riding at 80-90 per cent, i just didn't have the heart to give it 100% but i was still hurting. the return leg was with the huge wind now at my back as i did about 45 km/h and i thought i might do OK, until one guy with green-and-gold stripes on his jersey came past me like i was on a sunday cruise. somehow i only managed 31 km/h!

i didn't hang around long, as i needed to get home before sunset. to my disgust i got lost again on the way back - i tried a different route - a nice quiet bitumen road turned into another gravel road, then the dreaded goat track. it's like someone was playing a cruel trick on me. i literally ended up in a cattle yard on someone's farm - one of those yards with all the cattle ramps and stuff, mud - walking my roadie through it. i could see a road in the distance and after riding through a few paddocks, much to a load of cows' surprise, i finally made it back onto a real road.

here are some photos of one of the better roads i was on, i wish i'd taken some photos of the paddocks but i was a bit pre-occupied with figuring out where the hell i was going. note the gate i had just jumped. in the end it was a decent hit-out though - 180km day, including a lot of dirt riding at near-walking pace!