Where did your Recumbent take you today?

Riggsbie

Re: Where did your Recumbent take you today?

Postby Riggsbie » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:05 pm

How cool would it be to have a Velomobile team ?

So, 2015 here we come Velonauts !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:06 pm

Nice one Melvyn !

Interesting mechanical issue

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:36 pm

The RV took me out on a 75k training ride, fully loaded, solar panel fitted, 15L of water, camping gear and all the trimmings.
Great day for a ride, and not all that much slower up the hills.
Can I make it across the country?

http://rvvelonaut.blogspot.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:57 pm

Yes you can !

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:21 pm

Riggsbie wrote:Yes you can !
.... in the words of the Special Olympic Athlete Oath..... "Let me win, but if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt" 8)
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:39 pm

Riggsbie wrote:Yes you can !

+1

John

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:52 pm

Today was Rotovelo wash day, lol, clean the outside to improve laminar flow, and inside to clean out the summer sweat ...

http://s965.photobucket.com/user/recumb ... sort=3&o=0
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2

petie

Postby petie » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:45 pm

First ride on my new (old) Bachetta giro. Made the call to ride on-road to the crit track and didn't end up under a bus!! Managed to get the setup pretty close at home so only a few minor tweaks at this stage. Will take some getting used to the schlumpf mountain drive and alfine. Got to get my recumbent legs first anyway!

zebee

Postby zebee » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:39 pm

I have fitted a mountain drive to my Giro and am about to fit an Alfine. Be very interested in your experiences!

One question.... The mountain drive often has this weird giving feeling.... push the pedals and I hesitate to call it a slip but it sorta gives a bit under the pressure. Not constantly but in a rhythm.

At higher cadences it isn't as noticeable.

Does yours do that?

Zebee

petie

Postby petie » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:18 pm

zebee wrote:I have fitted a mountain drive to my Giro and am about to fit an Alfine. Be very interested in your experiences!

One question.... The mountain drive often has this weird giving feeling.... push the pedals and I hesitate to call it a slip but it sorta gives a bit under the pressure. Not constantly but in a rhythm.

At higher cadences it isn't as noticeable.

Does yours do that?

Zebee
I've only got about 20kms on mine so far! There is a bit of an odd "give" that I notice when taking off, worse when in the 2.5 reduction option. Didn't notice while riding? Will let you know after a few more kms. Haven't looked at any mechanical diagrams yet, just ridden it!

I will say, mine has an alfine with trigger shifter. I keep banging my knee on the damn thing the way I have set up my bars! Maybe try the twist shifter? I feel like the trigger is best ergonomically though, despite the knee interference.

zebee

Postby zebee » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:49 pm

petie wrote:
I've only got about 20kms on mine so far! There is a bit of an odd "give" that I notice when taking off, worse when in the 2.5 reduction option. Didn't notice while riding? Will let you know after a few more kms. Haven't looked at any mechanical diagrams yet, just ridden it!
Yeah that sounds right. A give when you put power into it in the low gear. I don't notice in high though, just low. And if I speed the cadence up it goes away.

(And I ahve to speed up a lot... right now I run out of low gear damn fast!)
petie wrote: I will say, mine has an alfine with trigger shifter. I keep banging my knee on the damn thing the way I have set up my bars! Maybe try the twist shifter? I feel like the trigger is best ergonomically though, despite the knee interference.
That's what I'm scared of. I was considering the Jtek shifter as I have bar end shifters now and love them but 80 Pommy beer vouchers made me think I'll try triggers first.

I hate twist shifters so if I can't get the triggers to fit past my knees then I have to have a good cry and spend the money on the JTek.

I have my bars almost as low as they'll go (being very vertically challenged) but I don't foul the sides of the tweener bars. I do sometimes brush the top of the bar near the stem. Once the Alfine is installed I'll spend a couple of hours with some washers (to reinforce the flexi stem angle bolt) to set the stem angle and fiddle with the cockpit.

I recently managed to give the Schlumpf a bit of a go on the ride up from Bondi Beach to the train station. I wasn't fast up the hills but once I settled into the right cadence it was surprisingly easy to grind up the hill. Slow but pleasant. (Which is, I suppose, recumbents up hills generally!)

What gearing do you have on the Alfine? I'm looking at a 20t on the rear and a 54 on the front which I think will give me a decent spread.

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:10 pm

Twist shifters are great on my CA2 and my M5.... I used to hate them but am a convert now !

I cycled a few kays today......138km....... :-)

http://www.strava.com/activities/150820619" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last edited by Riggsbie on Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

petie

Postby petie » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:20 pm

Riggsbie wrote:Twist shifters are great on my CA2 and my M5.... I used to hate them but am a convert now !

I cycled a few kays today......138km....... :-)

But they are nice SRAM shifters, not clumsy shimano ones!

Good effort on the 138km, which bike and where did you go?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:32 am

I too have come to like SRAM twist shifters on my Corsa. Came from trigger shifters on my previous 'bent and really didn't like them at first. Once I got used to them, though, I find they work very well and don't get in the way at all. They can be hard to grip with hot, sweaty fingers, but no problem wearing full fingered gloves, which I prefer anyway. Recently replaced the rear shifter as it was worn and starting to skip gears when changing. Replaced the X9 version with an X0 - to be honest really can't see any difference.

zebee

Postby zebee » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:38 am

I had the stock SRAM shifters on my Giro and they were OK...But the bar ends are much much nicer. It is possible that liking or not of twisters on a 'bent depends a lot on angle - I'm short and female so my shoulders are well inboard of the bars. This means a different wrist and hand angle than a larger wider shoulder body would have.

THe trigger on the Brom is fine, although I suppose it isn't really a trigger as it has no spring, it's just a lever. I'm hoping the angle of the triggers will work so that I don't have to !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! my hand/wrist uncomfortably to use them.

william

Postby william » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:57 pm

If you know where this is you'll know what it took to get there. Guess?

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:38 pm

On the road from Lorne to Gellibrand.
I was marshalling the riders along the route for last year's Great Vic, had to leave Port Campbell before dawn and up Lavers Hill to get to that corner early, then had to stand in the fog and drizzle for the rest of the day trying to convince riders to turn left onto that coffee stop and the road to the next camp. Amazing how often single riders listened and took the turn but groups ignored me and ended up in Beech Forest or beyond. The next day had to also ride past there before dawn to get out to my checkpoint before the riders. Nice coffee and loads of chocolate on sale there but the effort of getting there is memorable, as is the weather. Lost my voice soon after.

There were some recumbents on that ride too, some nice Bacchettas rolled out of the fog looking a bit damp.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:22 pm

Did my biggest ride ever today...133 k's and had a ball. Did like a tour of the Hunter with the wife. Loved being on the Scorpion Fs26, such a sweet ride it is. Being on a trike is such fun.

william

Postby william » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:06 pm

"On the road from Lorne to Gellibrand."
Yep! but I came from Warnambool with a bunch of Audax riders. When I got to Lavers Hill I thought I was almost there. Wrong. There was anothe 15ish K's to go and almost all of it was "up" or so it felt.
The coffee at this store was great along with the freshly made snacks sitting around a home made pot belly stove.
For anyone going that way I highly recommend you stop in.
Luckily this pic was taken after I ate. I couldn't have kept the camera still when I arrived.

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:47 pm

Where did your recumbent take you today????

Not very far....

http://rvvelonaut.blogspot.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2

Arakasy

Postby Arakasy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:43 am

I hope you didn't scratch that paint job !! :lol:
Don't Panic
And I don't know
Ride casual... Not to casual
They might snap out it's comfortable !!

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:02 pm

My trike took me up a hill sign posted as having a 26% gradient for 1.4 k's...had to zig zag the whole way up but I did it and it was a huge accomplishment for me.

We walked the bikes back down as we didnt think that our brakes would hold up.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:38 pm

gretaboy wrote:My trike took me up a hill sign posted as having a 26% gradient for 1.4 k's...had to zig zag the whole way up but I did it and it was a huge accomplishment for me.
I tip my hat to you :)

Andrew
Andrew

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:20 pm

My proof

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:14 pm

gretaboy wrote:My proof
That's not proof you made it to the top, just proof you made it to the first corner :mrgreen: