The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

Cul

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby Cul » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:35 am

I've had a pretty solid start to the month thus far, hoping I can keep it going for the rest of the month...

Yesterday was a nice 2hr Z2 role with the bunch, it was a cold but beautiful morning for it!

Something a little different this morning, jumped on the trainer as it was a little foggy out worked my butt off and did 5min@110% FTP then 4x6min over unders (1min Over / 1min Under) and finished off with 5min@110% FTP. Was a pretty solid workout, I'm loving the trainer at the moment!
My Training & Racing Blog: http://mountainbikemediocrity.wordpress.com
Fuelled By: Pro4mance

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:34 pm

More kettlebells, 8kg. Walked the 12 and 16 250m to the post office for weighing, then later - 2 hand swing, deadlift, snatch, rows, goblet squat, 2 hand swing then straight into 1 hand swing, overhead pressx10, round the head x10, round the hips for a minute each direction, then 10 reps of the first motion in the turkish-get-up. My stomach is killing me. My quads are killing me. My shoulders aren't sore. I think this is working. :D

GAV!N

Postby GAV!N » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:45 pm

I've had a shocker this month. 2 man colds in the past 5 weeks. The first one was Ok and only lasted a few days, and it stayed in the head. Got hit by another one last Friday which went straight to the chest and I've been full of gunk since. The annoying thing was that I'm sure this one was my own stupid fault. Went for a Hill climb up Cambewarra with a mate. It was a lot colder than I expected at the top, and my mate took a lot longer coming up than he normally does, so 15 minutes of standing in the cold covered in sweat surely broke me. I knew I should have taken a vest! It's certainly the season for it though. Everyone I know has been sick.

I thought I was getting better yesterday and just went for a VERY easy 12km roll, just to get things moving, think I woke up worse again today. Infuriating!

Meant to be racing with ICC tomorrow. I'm feeling like most of the gunk is now gone so I think I'll give it a crack, but don't like my chances of finishing well. At least it might blow out some cobwebs!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:21 pm

Had a good month... all a bit late but still happy with some progress. Strava chart says my fatigue is running at 110 whatever that means :lol: , probably why I feel like a rest!.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:39 pm

You cranked 1250 for May, I dunno what you expect ;) Well done!

Bunch ride nearly killed me yesterday, and my bum is feeling a bit sore. Worried that it's the bursitis, not just adjustment to riding after 3 weeks off. Kettlebells today, 2 hand swing x2, deadlift, 1 hand swing, goblet squat, snatch, round the body, rows, round the head, triceps over the head, I think that's it. 250 reps in all of that. Maybe time to transition to a heavier bell on the two hand / large muscle group stuff?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:05 pm

Yeah last 3 weeks have been pretty solid for me ... been exploring a bit, still plenty of roads/climbs within a 100km round trip that I have never seen... too many choices!.
Can tell form is on the up when I can hold over 400w fairly easily for longer periods, think I could hold it for about 10 minutes now if I could be bothered testing... but next few months will be pretty up and down training wise while I live out of a suitcase.
Will get stuck in seriously again in September, really want to have a good CX season this year, plus I think NZ is on the cards for Xmas again... so a couple of races there maybe too 8) .

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:17 pm

I've managed to get another cold. :( I think I caught it from a sick person on the train.

So I'm getting forced rest. I have done a few rides - but they were at slow speeds. I probably won't ride at all tomorrow or Tuesday.

My legs need a break too, they've been tired and sore this week after the interval efforts.

Cul

Postby Cul » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:08 pm

Had a reasonable weekend...

Was meant to do 2 x 20 (AT) 95% FTP on Friday which ended up being an easy roll (!! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! night sleep with the other one)...

Headed for the hills on Saturday, got out a 2h20min ride, hit the climbs hard and managed 10min power best, with the second repeat only 3watts off the new 10min best... Was a right !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! of a ride though, got wet - sun come out, dried up a bit then got fair hammered on again!... Bike is a right mess now!

Easy one again today, legs felt right dead!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:08 pm

2 hand swing x20, then 2 hand swing,deadlift*,clean,goblet squat*,row,2 hand swing*,Around body,1 hand swing,Turkish Getup*,Around head,snatch,2 hand swing*. Tried to increase to 25 reps on all sets, and went 12kg bell on the *sets. Basically using those exercises as the focus for strength improvement. Also tried to do the snatch movement today, I mistook the clean I did for the last week as a snatch (how?). Nearly buggered my right shoulder, left was a bit better. Will need to stay on the 8kg bell with that one for a couple weeks, and need to work on technique a lot more. Heart rate was smashing me, it's about a 50% increase in workload for the whole workout. Gentle one next time, then another heavy. Might need to do up a road map or something...

How does WKO work with workout planning compared to Golden Cheetah?

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:18 pm

Ow my abs. Ow my shoulders. Legs still good.

Absolutely brutal weights sesh after riding about 100W for half an hour with Dad (68, wants to try some riding - he thinks 50rpm is an acceptable cadence :lol: ); moved my default reps to 25 and using the 12kg bell. Finding some serious weak spots, which is awesome - I need to find them!

Cul

Postby Cul » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:31 pm

Good to see you are getting out on the bike again Xplora,

Mediocre weekend, tried to nail 2 x 20 (AT) 95%FTP on Friday but was plagued with a Tubular loosing air.

Hit the road on Saturday, bit of a bunchie with a few hills; did 20mins (AT) FTP before catching up with the bunch – ride was pretty sedate (Z2) until we hit the hills, hit every hill hard trying to keep up with “little pete” who has about 20kgs on me (pure climber) managed to hang on his wheel on every climb except one where I grabbed a handful of too many gears which resulted in some chainline issues. Was cold and windy out, but managed to get home about 15mins before it hammered down with rain.

I have another big race in a foughtnight, so hoping for a good couple of weeks training :D

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:48 pm

My usual 5x5 at 55rpm today. I'm slowly recovering from this annoying cold. It is just about gone.

I've got about 2 more weeks of this 55rpm stuff.

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:30 pm

So had another crack at a 20 minute FTP test this morning; absolutely spent. Finished the interval frothing at the mouth and a nose that was dripping everywhere thanks to the gold. :oops:

Anyway, slowly progressing; first FTP test in early Apr had me a 277w for the 20 minutes, start of May for a 30 minute test was 292w (add a watt or two for the drop outs) and this mornings was 312w for 20 minutes.

I was very happy to finish off the set above the 300w mark, I set out this morning wanting to hold 310w for the first 10 minutes and build, but as I hit that 10 minute mark I just couldn't raise it. I'm slightly annoyed at my low cadence; 86 but my power would just drastically drop if I changed to an "easier" gear and brought the cadence above 90.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:50 pm

Managed to sneak my way to a nice 4000kgs for the weights session today, but ended up getting the shoulders and neck massaged when I popped up to the shops. Shoulders are stuffed! Had a decent 50kms last night, I'm definitely seeing why Friel suggests you do all your weights in the base 1 and 2 periods, because my ITB is hating serious efforts of any kind while I'm punching out 50+ reps of kettlebell swings. Also tried OCP4 for the first time (snuck my spare Q-ring onto the commuter yesterday finally), unsure if I like it. Need to visit Mr Hogg, the Q-rings expose your imbalances quite severely under efforts. I keep saying that but it's true!

march83

Postby march83 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:06 pm

went to the velodrome last night for 160 above the blue. lasted about 120 laps before i ran out of gas. power numbers wer ok, but nothing special. my neck and upper back is killing me today. need more.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:05 pm

Xplora wrote:Managed to sneak my way to a nice 4000kgs for the weights session today, but ended up getting the shoulders and neck massaged when I popped up to the shops. Shoulders are stuffed! Had a decent 50kms last night, I'm definitely seeing why Friel suggests you do all your weights in the base 1 and 2 periods, because my ITB is hating serious efforts of any kind while I'm punching out 50+ reps of kettlebell swings. Also tried OCP4 for the first time (snuck my spare Q-ring onto the commuter yesterday finally), unsure if I like it. Need to visit Mr Hogg, the Q-rings expose your imbalances quite severely under efforts. I keep saying that but it's true!
What are you trying to achieve by doing this ? :? It would seem totally unproductive to me, many reps (5-10) at a light weight I can understand but there comes a point when, you just hurt yourself and not gain anything for cycling. :idea:

I did weights when I was racing and got a boost out of it but you don't mention anything about about maintaining flexibility. I was never a believer in doing big weights for the legs, just some light stuff to build on balance. :wink: I did sit ups on an incline bench and then flipped over onto my gut and hung off a bench for reverse sit ups, plus some time in the rowing position, with lats, shoulders, bi and triceps work and found that too be a good balance. :|

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:40 pm

Friel recommends some seriously HUGE targets for preseason weight training. We're talking 3 times what I managed to achieve after a short period of lifting I did 10 years ago. I have noticed that I have serious issues with brute horsepower. I am not going to be Hoy, but I could certainly use a bit more basic strength to stomp the pedals harder. Also, my core strength is pretty bad. :(

Let's not beat around the bush... 4000kgs is probably 10% of what I need to hit in the session, during the maximum strength period in the program. I am lifting 12kgs for 30 reps a dozen different ways. I will probably need to be punching 32kgs for 30 reps for 3 sets, a dozen different ways. (I know there is flawed maths there, don't stress). General strength has been neglected in the past, and I've been paying for it for 6 weeks now. :(

I actually checked in to just say that I'm going to tick over about 180kms for the week (hurrah), and I'm taking some time off the weights and the bike. Need the body to recover!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:55 pm

Time off the the bike, when you're only doing 180Klms a week :? No that is just wrong. you need to use the time on the bike smarter. :wink:

I only get to ride two days a week and clock in 100-140Klms, do your riding smarter and you will see the best returns! :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:33 pm

Well 4 weeks off the bike since I broke my collarbone and I'm feeling like s#it.

Getting back to where I was is going to hurt.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:49 pm

Come on LM, it's only a scratch. :mrgreen: Don't dwell on that part of it, concentrate on the future ridding and how you're going to improve. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:52 pm

foo on patrol wrote:you're only doing 180Klms a week
I've had about 2-3 months of very minimal riding except racing. I need to build the base, and right now my shoulder is shagged, so a little bit of time off won't hurt at all. Only need 3-4 days, then BAM back into it.

Aaz, that one looks bad, even worse is the scar tissue further south... have you been hurting yourself regularly :shock:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:16 pm

If you can ride with your shoulder the way it is, then you can keep riding. You just need to ride without pulling back on the bars! :idea:

What your are doing however is, over loading it with the weights, so ride smarter for the immediate time frame and then, start building up you shoulder. :idea:

I don't need some certificate to tell me how, to ride smartly as it it is all about the bio mechanics of sitting on the bike. You can do what I have suggested or loose even more time on the bike and then place yourself even further behind the eight ball. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:02 am

The lower marking was the post op dressing wrinkling the skin, tho this is the second time I've done the collarbone. Only been to hospital about 4 times this year, not too bad lol. Plate and screws this time. Lets hope I dont get a 3rd go at it....

Going to try another trainer session tomorrow.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:37 am

Haven't been doing much riding lately... But it's all good.
Got to go up Alpe D'Huez couple of days ago at my own pace... Even though I was pretty shattered from working my butt off for 2 weeks was still hoping to get up in an hour ( even though I know that requires about 4w per kg ) ... Only managed 1:05:15 :lol: , felt good though and probably had a bit too much left at the end. Diet I suppose!.
Laughed when I saw my mate did it in 44m earlier in the week!.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:56 am

Tour finish or Chrono?

44 minute to either is smoking! :shock: I managed 58:20 to the Tour finish, but included walking pace on the false flat past the Chrono finish as the Friday markets were on...