Most Prefered cycling Location in Italy

Ben Ferris

Postby Ben Ferris » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:18 pm

Hi Guys,

I am on my way to Europe.
I am looking at living in Italy.
I was just wondering were the No#1 destination would be recommended for me to go bass myself & join a Awesome cycling club??

If you have been there & done it or know of somebody, please let us know.

thanks Kindly

benny the wheel

JV911

Re: Most Prefered cycling Location in Italy

Postby JV911 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:07 pm

Tuscany for sure - around Florence and Siena
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:46 pm

Friends of mine, when questioned on the best town in Italy to visit, said Pitigliano.

For cycling culture I'd possibly suggest Rimini or Lucca. Another friend has good cycling friends in Perugia.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:33 pm

I would choose a location in northern Italy near the Dolomites - Lombardia perhaps, or Trentino. This where most of the famed mountain stages are.

You may not be aware that Italy has chains of hotels that cater for cycles. Here's an example, and there a plenty others to be found with Google. Worth a look.
Last edited by RonK on Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:09 am

I agree re northern Italy, assuming you like mountains. Verona and Lago di Garda, Bolzano, Feltre, Bassano del Grappa, Lecco just to name a few.
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

grw

Postby grw » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:08 pm

Parco Nazionale delle Cinque Terre
SE of Genoa. Very nice countryside for cycling.There is also a roman road which hugs the med coast. A bit busy with traffic but by no means flat and some great scenery. Also goes through some of the med italian wealth enclaves - some of which are worth a visit in themselves for a spot of people watching... I can't remember what its called. 'Via something'?
I enjoyed Verona - especially to the north. Some decent hills as well. Garda was a good base.Haven't been cycling to the south so can't comment much on that.
cheers
GW

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:38 pm

To me, anywhere. Just as long as I am in Italy. Lotsa hill towns for you too.

Heading back in 2014. Taking the uni this time too. Whoo whoo.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

JV911

Postby JV911 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:07 pm

RonK wrote:I would choose a location in northern Italy near the Dolomites - Lombardia perhaps, or Trentino.
I'm biased but I'd even go further east if you're up that way i.e. Friuli (where my dad's side of the family is from) at least for a visit.

It's a lot quieter, albeit a bit out of the way, but offers climbs shuch as Nassfeldpass, Monte Croce and the dreaded Zoncolan. Take a compact crank and the biggest cassette you can fit though! :shock:

This guy gives a good write up http://dolomiti-friulane.blogspot.com.a ... dpass.html

grw wrote:Parco Nazionale delle Cinque Terre
LOADS of mountan bkie trails there too
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:51 pm

Around Abruzzo (Pescara) is pretty good for riding as well. There are a couple of hills (Majella - Giro 09 - being a very nasty one) and there are all the roads along the coast to keep you entertained. It is less popular than Tuscany but still very nice.

+1 for the area around Lucca especially the river valley that runs up to Bagra (absolutely beautiful).

You could also look up the various Fondo's that are run throughout Italy and plan your trip around them. Here http://www.lecomaridellamdd.it/calendariogf/ is the link.

splint

Postby splint » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:17 am

just prior to my 2 week riding tour following Tour de France this year, I spent a month based near my parents hometown on the Altopiano di Asiago. Riding almost every day, I had the time of my life. This area, about 100k north east of Venice is cycling heaven. There are hundreds of climbs and/or trails just out the front door. This area or any area in northern Italy for that matter is absolute magic. The majority of Italian bike manufacturers are based here and there is basically no road rage displayed towards cyclists, unlike here in Oz. Having crossed off Alpe D'huez, Tourmalet, Mont Ventoux and D'Aubisque from my bucket list, Ive now added the Zoncolan, Mortirolo and the Stelvio etc etc all in northern Italy.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sat May 24, 2014 8:13 pm

I have my location sorted (Veneto/Dolomites) but I have 3 nights to spend in Venice after 2 weeks of riding. I won't be dragging a bike around - travelling light and on my own for this last bit of the trip.

Can anyone recommend a small inexpensive hotel for 3 nights in Venice?
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

rama

Postby rama » Sun May 25, 2014 2:58 am

Ben, the weather sucks in the far northern part of Italy, where the famous climbs are to be found. They are only accessible in the summertime. Don't dream of climbing the Cols year-round.

riles

Postby riles » Sun May 25, 2014 6:03 am

Im currently living in Nice, I think its the perfect location! Cols everywhere within 30min ride - Alps not far, Mt Ventoux 2.5hrs drive..Italia round the corner...thats me though

herzog

Postby herzog » Sun May 25, 2014 7:14 am

Bolzano would be my pick.

It's immediately near the famous Sellaronda. This is the route that circumnavigates the Sella Massif and takes in all the major passes in the Dolomites.

Definitely a bucket list destination. And a couple of times a year they completely close the whole thing to cars and let the bikes go nuts.

And if you ever get bored of the roads you've got some of the world's best MTB trails, many of them serviced by cable cars and chairlifts.

Then in winter the skiing... You can do the Sellaronda on skis in a day if you start early.

And there's also the matter of the food, which seems to fuse together the best of Italian and Tyrolean cuisines.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sun May 25, 2014 6:14 pm

rama wrote:Ben, the weather sucks in the far northern part of Italy, where the famous climbs are to be found. They are only accessible in the summertime. Don't dream of climbing the Cols year-round.
Agreed. Note Ben asked his question nearly 2 years ago... Would be interesting where he settled on but he hasn't been back since his only post.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun May 25, 2014 6:39 pm

Going to the Dolomites two or three times this year :-) ... Only really been to Bormio so looking forward to it!.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sun May 25, 2014 8:55 pm

Need to post photos and details when you have TLL as I've only done Bormio too and the Dolomites are on my bucket list... :wink:

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sun May 25, 2014 9:27 pm

cyclotaur wrote:I have my location sorted (Veneto/Dolomites) but I have 3 nights to spend in Venice after 2 weeks of riding. I won't be dragging a bike around - travelling light and on my own for this last bit of the trip.

Can anyone recommend a small inexpensive hotel for 3 nights in Venice?
Meanwhile .... back at the ranch - anybody got any answers to my query that revived the thread ? :wink:

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri May 30, 2014 1:47 pm

cyclotaur wrote:Meanwhile .... back at the ranch - anybody got any answers to my query that revived the thread ? :wink:
Try https://www.airbnb.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ???

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Fri May 30, 2014 5:00 pm

dalai47 wrote:
cyclotaur wrote:Meanwhile .... back at the ranch - anybody got any answers to my query that revived the thread ? :wink:
Try https://www.airbnb.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ???
Yeah, had a look there and everywhere else .... just wondered if anyone had a recommendation actually in Venice, but seems not. Might stay in the region and visit Venice for the day.
Thanks.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri May 30, 2014 8:04 pm

Sorry, best I could do. No mountains in Venice so haven't been there... :lol:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:38 pm

dalai47 wrote:Need to post photos and details when you have TLL as I've only done Bormio too and the Dolomites are on my bucket list... :wink:
Ended up staying in Arabba, bit quiet but nice spot... Got to see everything but not necessarily ride it. The Sella Ronda loop is stunning!!! 52kms anti clockwise with the Campolongo, Gardena, Sella and Pordoi passes ( 1850m climbing ) ... Easy to navigate and not much traffic, Motos are plentiful though! .
Also from Arabba through to Cortina over the Passo Falzarego ( not too hard ) after Cortina back up the same road for about 5kms at 6%'ish the turn off onto the Passo Giau ... Around 8.5kms at around 9% av ( very tough )... Lovely up top.
Then Arabba to Bolzano... Over the Passo Pordoi again and then the Passo Costalunga ... Nice ride mainly downhill.
Did one HC climb in Bolzano ( can't remember the name ) ... Plenty to chose from there but a lot more traffic.
Then we were off to the Stelvio, there is a very long bike path all the way from Bolzano to the turn off to the north side off the Stelvio.
Got to go up the Gavia very late in the arvy. Very cold for the last 5 kms!.... But you warm up quickly on the way down. The Bormio Mortirolo Gavia route is really nice ... You might have done it?, but for others the Mortirolo is brutal!!!, the east side of Passo Gavia is far more stunning ( and harder ) than the way up from Bormio.
Post a few pics soon.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:20 pm

Appreciate the details TLL! :D

I only fitted in two days at Bormio when I was there and day two was the Mortirolo - Gavia loop. Agree that the Mortirolo is a little challenging... :wink:

The first day I rode both sides of the Stelvio from Bormio return- rode to the summit, back down 3 km towards Bormio and right over the Passo dell'Umbrail to traverse around and up the other side.

herzog

Postby herzog » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:25 pm

Did the Sellaronda on skis a few years back. What a day that was.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:32 pm

Now that would be cool!... Pity I have never skied :embarrassed: