Moron Motorists #3

InTheWoods

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:16 am

My police station usually will at least talk to the driver and has been willing to go further previously.

I'm headed there on thursday to make a proper statement as one of my previous ones is being contested and going to court. It wasn't a close pass one though, and the video is pretty clear cut.

Kraeg

Postby Kraeg » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:51 am

Sydney CBD yesterday morning I saw a driver going down a one-way street do a u-turn to get to the turnoff he must have missed (I guess going around the block would waste too much time). It's a wide street so other motor vehicles coming down it could move out of his way, thankfully.
Sydney CBD this morning, a driver reversed back along a different one-way street and through a red light (missed turnoff; round the block wastes time). Thankfully it was a red light and so cars had stopped.

When will the authorities require drivers to have a license and registration to stop this sort of behaviour!??!

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:03 pm

Oxford - reminds me of some truck driver trainers who like to take their students onto the industrial estate where we race crits on sunday mornings. we had one leaning out his passenger window yelling 'get orf tha rooaadd!" what a role model :roll:

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:22 pm

jules21 wrote:Oxford - reminds me of some truck driver trainers who like to take their students onto the industrial estate where we race crits on sunday mornings. we had one leaning out his passenger window yelling 'get orf tha rooaadd!" what a role model :roll:
To further sully their reputation, there was a truck driver trainer (in Sydney I believe) who was charged with taking bribes to pass his students. Who knows how many obtained their licences but were incompetent? In response, the RMS is requiring the installation of video cameras in truck cabs to monitor the testing.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:31 pm

I had a close shave with a MM this morning on Wellington St in Perth just near the train station. I have ridden this stretch of road almost every day for years and have previously had zero issues. I am an experienced rider and claim the lane on roads like this, which is why this close shave caught me so much by surprise. Just after the lights I was travelling just to the left of the centre of the lane, about 10 seconds from filtering into the left hand turn when a driver squeezed through the gap between me and another car. I was taken by suprise so I didn't see how close they got to the other car but I can't imagine there was too much room given my position on the road. I knew the car was close to me because I felt the swoosh as it went past and we were both travelling pretty slowly. Maybe they thought that's what "share the road" means. :lol:
<removed by request>

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:24 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
That's some shockingly bad cornering, he was in the oncoming lane for a long time... from that bit of footage I wouldn't worry about him being a problem on the road for very long.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:32 pm

Biffidus wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:
That's some shockingly bad cornering, he was in the oncoming lane for a long time... from that bit of footage I wouldn't worry about him being a problem on the road for very long.
Just so long as he does the decent and drags nobody else along when he meets Azrael.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:39 pm

From America:

http://m.smh.com.au/world/mike-smith-wa ... zsk6c.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Motorcycle rider with no helmet hitting a car. How he gets away from it with no apparent injuries I don't know! :shock:

Video has no sound.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:15 pm

Today I almost ended up a statistic. Riding westerly along Hepburn Avenue from Mitchell Freeway passing Kingsley Drive (like I do regularly with no issues) I heard a truck revving unduly hard coming up behind and I felt very uncomfortable, so I turned the bike hard left and rode up the gutter- literally a second later the a semi trailer with a low loader trailer deliberately ran at high speed straight over where I had been (speed limit is 70km/h) hard up against the gutter. I would basically be dead or wish I was.

Thing is, this is the third incident involving large trucks in a month- 2 of which have been deliberate acts (tonight was delibrate and likely due to either dislike of cyclists of just don't care) and one who unerestimated my speed when overtaking. I am visible (people have commented on my lights) and I ride well out from the gutter which generally works. But tonights incident left me shaken more than usual. I read all the comments re buses, tradies etc and have minor problems with them, but large trucks appear to be my current nemesis.

I have a Fly6 on its way but worry that at this time of year (dark) cameras won't be very effective in picking up number plates and I don't want someone else using the evidence once I am in the morgue/hospital.

The TOTAL disregard for other peoples lives we as cyclists regularly witness makes me sick, scared and extremely angry-also is impotent too flaccid a word to use? (sorry just had to vent a bit)

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:28 pm

Now that's close to home. I live at the other end of Kingsley Drive.

That's the reason why I will stick to the shared paths and avoid roads like Hepburn, Whitfords and Marmion Avenues and will only cycle on 50 km/h streets. Call me a chicken I don't mind.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:58 am

CXCommuter wrote:Today I almost ended up a statistic. Riding westerly along Hepburn Avenue from Mitchell Freeway passing Kingsley Drive (like I do regularly with no issues) I heard a truck revving unduly hard coming up behind and I felt very uncomfortable, so I turned the bike hard left and rode up the gutter- literally a second later the a semi trailer with a low loader trailer deliberately ran at high speed straight over where I had been (speed limit is 70km/h) hard up against the gutter. I would basically be dead or wish I was.

Thing is, this is the third incident involving large trucks in a month- 2 of which have been deliberate acts (tonight was delibrate and likely due to either dislike of cyclists of just don't care) and one who unerestimated my speed when overtaking. I am visible (people have commented on my lights) and I ride well out from the gutter which generally works. But tonights incident left me shaken more than usual. I read all the comments re buses, tradies etc and have minor problems with them, but large trucks appear to be my current nemesis.

I have a Fly6 on its way but worry that at this time of year (dark) cameras won't be very effective in picking up number plates and I don't want someone else using the evidence once I am in the morgue/hospital.

The TOTAL disregard for other peoples lives we as cyclists regularly witness makes me sick, scared and extremely angry-also is impotent too flaccid a word to use? (sorry just had to vent a bit)
That's horrible . I've been menaced by a truck in a manner like that while in a car. That was bad enough, but at least I could get away at a higher speed. You had no option.

Hang in there - try not to get too upset. Some truck drivers are just very dangerous.

Try contacting Police - the truck might have been caught on a camera somewhere and they might be able to identify it. The problem with bike cameras is if the truck has headlights on high beam, the high beam might obscure the number plate.
Last edited by g-boaf on Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:34 am

citywomble wrote:Now that's close to home. I live at the other end of Kingsley Drive.

That's the reason why I will stick to the shared paths and avoid roads like Hepburn, Whitfords and Marmion Avenues and will only cycle on 50 km/h streets. Call me a chicken I don't mind.
You're a chicken :wink:

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:27 am

citywomble wrote:Now that's close to home. I live at the other end of Kingsley Drive.

I actually don't mind those three- mostly there is a good area to the side to ride which does't impact drivers and is generally clear for cyclists (Hepburn east of Wanneroo Rd is one of the few properly signposeted cycleways in Perth).

Now, Wanneroo Rd and Alexander Drive they are bad- nowhere to go and from my observations frequented by a different /lower class of moron.

AKO

Postby AKO » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:09 pm

An email I sent off to Greyhound after 2 extremely close passes in 10 minutes.

"Hello. I would like to make a complaint regarding the conduct of one (possibly two) of your drivers after two separate incidents I encountered while riding by bicycle today.

The first occurred at about 10:08am on the Bruce Highway heading North just past the Mackay showgrounds. I had just cleared the intersection at the Western side of the showgrounds when one of your buses past me at an extremely close proximity. My estimation would be at the very most 300mm. I was riding on the shoulder (to the left of the fog line) when the close pass occurred. The driver was driving almost on the fog line and proceeded to veer closer to me once the front of the bus had past. The initial shock of such a close pass at speed caused me to voluntarily veer left myself. This action nearly certainly prevented me being another road statistic. I'm not being dramatic, it really was cm's from me being a smear on the road and my daughters orphans. I noticed the bus turned right onto Sams Road toward North Mackay. I have to admit that I did not get the Rego or Unit Number of the bus as it happened so fast and my thoughts weren't centred toward identification, more self preservation.

The second incident (another close pass) happened at about 10:18am (ten minutes later) again heading North, this time on Mackay - Bucasia Road. I had just crested the hill adjacent to the Kerrisdale Estate when your bus, Unit Number 151 passed me at an unacceptably close distance. This time I estimate the distance to be about 500 - 800mm. A little better but still highly dangerous and illegal given Queensland's new safe passing laws of at least 1 metre at speeds up to 60 klms/hr and 1.5 metres at speeds above 60. Both these incidents occurred in 80 Klm/hr zones.

I managed to catch the bus at the set of lights at the bottom of the hill where I let the diver know I wasn't at all happy with her behaviour (ok, I admit I thumped the door and yelled obscenities, under the circumstances I feel they were justified).

I would be confident if saying that it was the same bus on both occasions even though I was only able to identify the bus on the second occasion. I would assume the bus in question was chartered for mine site transport (given the route) and being a mine site worker myself and being familiar with the bus drop off routes around Mackay, the time line seams to fit.

I understand some bus companies have installed cameras in their buses and would hope that If Greyhound are one such company, that the footage could be viewed and the driver disciplined accordingly.

I would hope in the very least the driver or drivers in question will be spoken to about their behaviour and obligations as Greyhound employees and heavy vehicle road users.

The disappointing thing about it all is the fact there were 2 lanes for the driver to choose on both occasions, making a dangerous close pass even more unnecessary.

I look forward to your response.

Regards, Stephen."
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

Farmer Elvis

Postby Farmer Elvis » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:56 pm

Wonder if you'll get a reply

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:39 pm

A couple lately.

Riding between campuses I was travelling North on Princes Bridge which now has a wide bike lane and sharrow. Taxi follows me along the bike lane. Just can't wait can they? Well, I was in no hurry so I sat there for a good set of lights blocking his ability to go through a green light and pointing to the lane he should have been in. He nodded but showed no inclination to change his behaviour in the future. Hopefully I held him up enough to be irritating.

Riding on the bike path on Beach Rd in Middle Park on the way to work today (heading North, no bike lane on the road heading North). Road has a few spots where drainage is inadequate and there are often big puddles. Commodore driving North deliberately swings left to splash me and then does the same to another rider a few hundred metres ahead of me. Really, I hope they got their jollies, from my point of view they just came across as a sad loser if that's what excites them. Didn't worry me much, given the wind everything was dry by the time I got to work.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

ikm

Postby ikm » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:58 pm

Was a lovely commute today along the coast at sunset, though this moment was a little more excitement that I was expecting.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:25 am

Tonkin Hwy from Roe Hwy offramp. I spotted the left lane closed sign ahead in the distance so changed lanes to the middle. In front of me the 4wd triton ute did the same. I check my left mirror and imagine my surprise when I see a 4wd barging up the left lane trying to push inbetween this triton ute and another car infront. Well it kinda succeeded. The ute didn't have anywhere to go really. Truck coming up in the right lane, so it could only move right so far.
At this stage the 4wd and the ute were side by side. 4wd partially in the left lane and the ute partially in the right lane. Ute then moves back to the left and the 4wd gives way to it knocking over the witches hats and then the lane closure finished and the 4wd took off down the offramp.
Glad they didn't crash, I would have been in a very bad spot with a truck behind me and beside me.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

AKO

Postby AKO » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:41 am

ikm wrote:Was a lovely commute today along the coast at sunset, though this moment was a little more excitement that I was expecting.

Wow, that was too close. Probably thought he gave you enough room, forgetting he had the boat behind, still little consolation when you're a bloody smear on the road. I often think that these absent minded motorists are more of a danger then the aggressive morons.
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:46 am

ikm wrote:Was a lovely commute today along the coast at sunset, though this moment was a little more excitement that I was expecting.

Stupidly close, reported?
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

ikm

Postby ikm » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:54 am

That can be this afternoons job, busy eating and sleeping last night :)

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:12 am

Far out ikm....

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:21 am

ikm - that looks more like cluelessness than malice to me. not that it makes it ok..

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:22 am

A car passed me about 6 inches off my R elbow last night in the rain. Gave me a fright given all the other cars gave me plenty of room :x
It was on a downhill section so I gave an anger fueled chase as there is a set of lights further down the road and around the corner.
Got alongside at about 50kmh as we approached the lights and let fly with an anger fueled spray. Turns out it was a little old lady peering over the steering wheel. Probably a lack of spatial awareness and poor eyesight. Should NOT be driving, particularly in those conditions. I was so angry fom the close pass I again forgot to take the rego. I'd have been up to the police with that due to her dangerous incompetence.
I had 3 rear lights on, 2 front, reflective shoe covers and a fluro vest and top with reflective slashes. Everyone else managed to give me plenty of room.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:26 am

warthog1 wrote:Turns out it was a little old lady peering over the steering wheel.
i'll never forget making a new mum burst into tears in similar circumstances. still, she shouldn't have been driving either.