Minor road rage incident question

sorted

Minor road rage incident question

Postby sorted » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:01 pm

As posted over on the Moron Motorists viewtopic.php?f=12&t=58039&p=1142376#p1142376, I had a minor run-in with an impatient ute driver this morning in Cloverdale, who nudged my back wheel with the bars of his ute and hooted at me as I was waiting at a stop line to cross a fairly busy road.

There is no damage and there were no witnesses (unfortunately) but I did get his license plate number; is it worth following up with the authorities? If so, which would be best? Whilst I wasn't keen on having a conversation with an angry ute driver in an area I don't know well, I'd like said driver to be gently made aware that physically threatening cyclists with a 2-ton ute isn't acceptable!

88mph

Re: Minor road rage incident question

Postby 88mph » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:27 pm

I guess if the guy was ramming your car you could report him for dangerous/reckless driving or even hoon laws? Though I'm no expert.
It's worth pursuing with the Police so that if successful, it might send a message and save one of us in the future.

Please keep us updated.

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:32 pm

I would report this. As he actually hit/touched your wheel. Whats to say next time the brake slips and he nudges hard another cyclist?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:35 pm

I wouldn't call being hit by a car a minor incident, irrespective of the fact that no damage was done. Report it to the police.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:36 pm

sorted wrote:As posted over on the Moron Motorists viewtopic.php?f=12&t=58039&p=1142376#p1142376, I had a minor run-in with an impatient ute driver this morning in Cloverdale, who nudged my back wheel with the bars of his ute and hooted at me as I was waiting at a stop line to cross a fairly busy road.

There is no damage and there were no witnesses (unfortunately) but I did get his license plate number; is it worth following up with the authorities? If so, which would be best? Whilst I wasn't keen on having a conversation with an angry ute driver in an area I don't know well, I'd like said driver to be gently made aware that physically threatening cyclists with a 2-ton ute isn't acceptable!
Please report it to the police. That is a very dangerous action that could seriously hurt someone. I'm glad you got out of it ok. If you can drop in to Belmont Police station, that would be best. Otherwise try phone or the easiest is the online form.

http://www.police.wa.gov.au/Onlineservi ... TrafficTop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Unlawful road user behaviour report (NOTE: Only for incidents in Western Australia). If the incident occurred within the last 30 minutes, do not complete this form. Please call police on 131 444).

NOTE: This form is only to be used for unlawful road user behaviour (antisocial / hoon)
<removed by request>

sorted

Postby sorted » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:51 pm

Thanks very much for the advice everyone - I'll report it to the Belmont Police and let you know how it goes.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:54 pm

GLad you're okay, deliberately nudging someone is a very small step away from giving them a really hard shove, or knocking them when they're on the move with a side mirror. At ~2 tonnes vs 100kg, this needs to be taken very seriously, I hope the cops don't give you the brush off
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

bomberdon

Postby bomberdon » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:06 pm

I wish you had a Fly6 ...

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:51 pm

Good that you reported it. In many or most cases it is not practicable or possible to get a conviction. However, the benefit is that serial offenders do then get noticed and may be the subject of extra effort and resources by police to go after them.

If the guy only does it the one time then you have still not lost anything outside of the effort to make the report.

Anyone willing to report an incident realy should be prepared therefore to go to court if it gets that far. Polcie, understandably, are not keen to waste their scarce resources chasing after someone if the complainant is not willing to front up to court. In my limited experience the police will ask the question.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:28 pm

Another dumb tradie (all too common)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

rearviewmirror

Postby rearviewmirror » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:37 pm

Get a dashcam!

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:45 pm

Drizt wrote:Another dumb tradie (all too common)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Im not a tradesman, but you have made two assumptions that probably needed more thought before posting. 1- ute drivers are tradesman ? 2- tradesman are dumb ?...... good luck with attitude :roll:

Glad the OP is ok, and you have done the right thing reporting it as it will be on record if it happens to someone else

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:46 pm

If the shoe fits ;)

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:06 pm

Drizt wrote:If the shoe fits ;)
If thats the case all moron cyclist I have been observing over the past few months in and around Perth CBD, need a size 10 tradie steel cap boot up the arse :shock: :D

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:07 pm

Size 10?, bit small for a storm trooper ;)

jlh

Postby jlh » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:14 pm

What was the rego, as I was close shaved (deliberately) by a ute near Swanbourne a few weeks back. Reported the guy to the police and they said 'we have had a number of complaints about this car'...

sorted

Postby sorted » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:27 pm

Not sure it's a good idea to post the rego here, but it was a red Ford Ranger with slightly faded paint, probably early 2000s.

ikm

Postby ikm » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:13 pm

sorted wrote:Thanks very much for the advice everyone - I'll report it to the Belmont Police and let you know how it goes.

Good job. I doubt it but you never know, he may learn a lesson and not do it to the next person.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:21 pm

Drizt wrote:If the shoe fits ;)
It was just a cheap one-liner based on stereotyping. And while most us here do it from time to time, we also recognise that we take offence when our sworn enemies (aka drivers) lump us all into a common pool with bad riders. Which is why you got a challenge. We try to keep ourselves a little bit honest on this forum.

Anyway, don't sweat it. I am sure that you will get a chance to challenge me and others for similar some time down the line. :lol:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:01 am

If he had pulled that stunt on a car, what do you think would have happened. You have damaged my car... Paint damaged at least.

Also have you checked to see if your rear wheel is fine? If you haven't lift it up on the rear and look where your brakes are and see if there is a wobbly.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:56 pm

bomberdon wrote:I wish you had a Fly6 ...
Mine is in the post supposedly! Looking forward to putting it on the bike. And if they make a front facing model I'll buy that too :)
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

roller

Postby roller » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:34 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Also have you checked to see if your rear wheel is fine? If you haven't lift it up on the rear and look where your brakes are and see if there is a wobbly.
Might also be worth checking to see if you haven't come down with a case of whipla$h.

CHA CHING!
inflammatory statement or idea

wagr1213

Postby wagr1213 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:46 pm

If any of you were on Whatley Cres (not the PSP) this evening heading towards Maylands, almost at the top of the hill and almost got wiped out by a white holden commodore and you would like to report the vehicle to the police - I got his rego plate number.

Why do I have his plate? Because he hit the rear of my vehicle whilst I was stopped at the lights at the subway on East Pde. He was intoxicated and thus I took a photo of his plate as he was not responding to questioning when I knocked on his window............... Anyway after moving off and his passing me with intent to scrape the side of my vehicle he was all over the road. I cringed in disbelief when he came soooooooo close to a cyclist I could see up on the hill.

I reported him to the Police minutes after the event and as it happens whilst I write this I have just had a call from the police saying the offender was apprehended in an intoxicated state.

Mate if you do look in on this site and see this post - you must have been so lucky!
Happy days they got him! 8)
Malvern Star Oppy A4 Operator

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:37 am

wagr1213 wrote:If any of you were on Whatley Cres (not the PSP) this evening heading towards Maylands, almost at the top of the hill and almost got wiped out by a white holden commodore and you would like to report the vehicle to the police - I got his rego plate number.

Why do I have his plate? Because he hit the rear of my vehicle whilst I was stopped at the lights at the subway on East Pde. He was intoxicated and thus I took a photo of his plate as he was not responding to questioning when I knocked on his window............... Anyway after moving off and his passing me with intent to scrape the side of my vehicle he was all over the road. I cringed in disbelief when he came soooooooo close to a cyclist I could see up on the hill.

I reported him to the Police minutes after the event and as it happens whilst I write this I have just had a call from the police saying the offender was apprehended in an intoxicated state.

Mate if you do look in on this site and see this post - you must have been so lucky!
Happy days they got him! 8)
So hit n run, drunk, wonder if he will wake up and wonder where the damage on his car comes from then gets a phone call from your insurer :)
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:55 pm

wagr1213 wrote:Why do I have his plate? Because he hit the rear of my vehicle whilst I was stopped at the lights at the subway on East Pde. He was intoxicated ....
Glad that you're okay, AND that the cops got him with proof of his intoxicated state. That had all the ingredients of a very unfortunate headline :(