Magellan Cyclo 505

Aushiker

Re: Magellan Cyclo 505

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:49 pm

I am guessing that the all of your units are coming with Open Source maps? Is that correct? No Magellan maps in the Australian market?

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:51 pm

RonK wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Might have to seriously consider one of these when my Garmin Edge 810 dies. ANyway I do have one question and is it possible to charge thye CYclo 505 off the dynamo/battery pack whilst riding? Maybe a question for Ronk as it is more of a touring issue.
I haven't ried it while actually riding, but I have had it running while connected to the charger, which is the same thing really.

However if you mount the unit on the stem as I have on my tourer, to connect to the power port while riding you'll need a cable with a right angle terminal . The oem cable is too long to be practical anyway. The length of the cable is 20cm but they're available in various lengths.
Okay thanks. I guess if the battery life is reasonable it should be okay for a day's riding with charging off the bike overnight.

Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:50 pm

Aushiker wrote:I am guessing that the all of your units are coming with Open Source maps? Is that correct? No Magellan maps in the Australian market?
You have the option of using either OSM or HERE maps. HERE is owned by Nokia, which bought out Navteq and OVI.
Last edited by RonK on Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:05 pm

RonK wrote:
Aushiker wrote:I am guessing that the all of your units are coming with Open Source maps? Is that correct? No Magellan maps in the Australian market?
You have the option of using either OSM or HERE maps. HERE i, owned by Nokia, which bought out Navteq and OVI.
I had seen the HERE maps and checked out the route I had planned from Esperance to Albany ... they where hopeless for that including not showing the major well established ocean cycle path in Esperance. The OSM maps are a reasonable alternative but it is a pity they don't provide the Magellan maps as the alternative.

Andrew

mikeyg63

Postby mikeyg63 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:56 pm

Ronk, with that USB lead I have seen them in Jaycar also. I'd be interested to know what type of charger you are running. I once made a charger from a car cigarette charger and a 9 volt battery. Although I wouldnt like to use it on the Cyclo just in case it doesent have a 5 volt regulator and I blow it up. Works very well on the iphone though.

RonK

Magellan Cyclo 505

Postby RonK » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:41 pm

mikeyg63 wrote:Ronk, with that USB lead I have seen them in Jaycar also. I'd be interested to know what type of charger you are running. I once made a charger from a car cigarette charger and a 9 volt battery. Although I wouldnt like to use it on the Cyclo just in case it doesent have a 5 volt regulator and I blow it up. Works very well on the iphone though.
Yeah, they are quit common, but not for $1 each. I dunno how it can be worthwhile for these Chinese traders to sell such low cost items.

I bought the cable to use with a Biologic Reecharge, but I haven't actually used it yet because I haven't been on tour since I acquired the Cyclo.

I'll dig out the Reecharge and do a test. The good thing about the Reecharge is that you can charge it from mains power as well as a dynamo hub.

Last edited by RonK on Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RonK

Magellan Cyclo 505

Postby RonK » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:44 pm

Aushiker wrote:I had seen the HERE maps and checked out the route I had planned from Esperance to Albany ... they where hopeless for that including not showing the major well established ocean cycle path in Esperance. The OSM maps are a reasonable alternative but it is a pity they don't provide the Magellan maps as the alternative.
I think the HERE maps are intended for use in your car. So far I've found no issue with the OSM maps.
Last edited by RonK on Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:18 pm

RonK wrote:
Aushiker wrote:I had seen the HERE maps and checked out the route I had planned from Esperance to Albany ... they where hopeless for that including not showing the major well established ocean cycle path in Esperance. The OSM maps are a reasonable alternative but it is a pity they don't provide the Magellan maps as the alternative.
I think the HERE maps are intended for use in your car. So far I found no issue with the OSM maps.
I use OSM maps on my Garmin; just would have liked the option to use Magellan maps, particulary their outback ones on a Magellan GPS. That said I understand you cannot actually even change the pre-installed OSM maps to another country which is not a good look if true. I did contact Magellan support about this and the reply is quoted below. Not encouraging.
Dear Andrew,

Thank you for contacting Magellan team.

I’ve understood that you’re inquiring about OSM maps for US and Europe. Rest assured that your concern would be properly handled.

I’m afraid to say that as of this time, we’re still waiting for an update from head office as well. Now if the GPS has been registered online (link below), rest assured that you will be notified by email once this is available.

Link: http://www.magellangps.com.au/Support/P ... gistration" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Devy
Does the Australian units at least come with New Zealand maps?

Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:14 pm

Aushiker wrote:
RonK wrote:That said I understand you cannot actually even change the pre-installed OSM maps to another country which is not a good look if true. I did contact Magellan support about this and the reply is quoted below. Not encouraging.

Does the Australian units at least come with New Zealand maps?
I can't see this being any big deal, once the maps are available. And the since 505 went on sale in the US recently, there is now mapping available for Europe and GB, North America and A/NZ. If Magellan don't make them available it will be only a matter of time before users set up an exchange.

The maps are stored in a standard DOS file structure, and it should be a relatively simple process to backup the data and replace the Map directory with one for another country.

Yes, the local version does cover NZ mapping as well.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:44 pm

Further on this my mate who has one is finding it a constant PITA. They may be nice touring gps.. But if you use your device for training get a garmin.

The lack of a lap button is a killer, and it has also got problems pairing and working with a wahoo kickr that just don't affect garmin.

There have also been a few other minor operational bugs that they may have fixed..

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:24 pm

Does anyone know if the Munda Biddi trail is included or can be uploaded on the 505?

petie

Postby petie » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:34 pm

ball bearing wrote:Does anyone know if the Munda Biddi trail is included or can be uploaded on the 505?
Couldn't tell you, I only have the 105. I have ridden some sections of the munda biddi though and it was very well signposted, if that helps?

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:33 am

petie wrote:
ball bearing wrote:Does anyone know if the Munda Biddi trail is included or can be uploaded on the 505?
Couldn't tell you, I only have the 105. I have ridden some sections of the munda biddi though and it was very well signposted, if that helps?
Thanks. I often ride sections of the Munda Biddi and the signs are pretty good. The reason I was asking about the GPS maps is because I find the paper maps to be clumsy plus I want to check out other trails near the MB trail that are not marked on the paper maps.

I'm still figuring out how the 505 works and I haven't checked out the Magellan online portal to check for track downloads. I also have a 105 and it has been so reliable I decided to go the whole hog and get the 505.

My only disappointment so far is that the screen backlight needs to be turned on to see it properly - I know there is a Magellan forum and there seems to be some readability differences among different users when the backlight is turned off.

Do any 505 users know if I should have gotten a screen protector in the box or is it already installed by Magellan?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:34 am

If the maps are OSM then a fair bit of the Munda Biddi Trail is marked on it and of course you can ride the bits that are not and then add them :)

Here is a screen shot of the Munda Biddi Trail showing near Dwellingup on the Open Street Cycle map.

Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:50 am

There are some short sections at the northern end when you download the full set of tracks from Magellan.

However, you can upload and navigate GPX track files of the route that are available on the internet.

Example 1

Example 2

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:44 pm

Aushiker wrote:
If the maps are OSM then a fair bit of the Munda Biddi Trail is marked on it and of course you can ride the bits that are not and then add them :)

Here is a screen shot of the Munda Biddi Trail showing near Dwellingup on the Open Street Cycle map.

Andrew
Sounds like a plan. The northern part is unknown to me as I only have explored the bits between Albany to Walpole. From what I have read it's a different ballgame up there.

The surprise me function is a gas - I rode places today that I didn't existed and I stayed within 15Ks from home.
Last edited by ball bearing on Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:45 pm

RonK wrote:
There are some short sections at the northern end when you download the full set of tracks from Magellan.

However, you can upload and navigate GPX track files of the route that are available on the internet.

Example 1

Example 2
Good stuff and thanks for pointing me in the right direction - pun intended.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:30 pm

I've been thinking about purchasing a 505 but have a few questions for you owners.

Are there only two data pages?

Is there an option to display HR as % of max less resting or similar?

What's the visibility of the screen like in direct sunlight? Does the backlight need to be on? Is there an auto backlight on in low light?

Battery life when using navigation?

When mounted on the stem can you plug in a USB cable?

Is elevation data uploaded to Strava?

Does it have an odometer for each bike? Can these be reset?

Is the auto pause adjustable for speed?

Is there a prompt to start recording when you start riding?

Thanks for any help.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:09 pm

biker jk wrote:I've been thinking about purchasing a 505 but have a few questions for you owners.

Are there only two data pages?
Yes, but I've heard it's possible to fudge a third by using the workout page.

Is there an option to display HR as % of max less resting or similar?
Percentage of max yes, less resting? No.

What's the visibility of the screen like in direct sunlight? Does the backlight need to be on? Is there an auto backlight on in low light?
There is no auto backlight. It's a transflective screen - visibilty is fine as long you are not looking on an angle, so good on the out front mount, not so good on a sloping stem. I don't find any need to use the backlight. Others have said they do but I can't see why. In case you didn't get it, mounting the 505 at the correct viewing angle is important.

Battery life when using navigation?
About 10 hours I think.

When mounted on the stem can you plug in a USB cable?
Yes, but you'll need a cable with a 90 degree mini USB. Cheap as chips on eBay.

Is elevation data uploaded to Strava?
How to tell? I see an elevation profile on Strava - is that uploaded, or derived?

Does it have an odometer for each bike? Can these be reset?
Yes, you can create multiple bike profiles for either race, city or mountain bikes. The bike types are used to determine the routing preferences. The odometers cannot currently be reset.

Is the auto pause adjustable for speed?
No

Is there a prompt to start recording when you start riding?
Yes and no. The 505 will display a prompt after movement is detected, but this may take a few kms. The odometer always records any movement.

Thanks for any help.
General comments - although the experience has been better than the bitter one I had with Garmin, the 505 has a number of know errors and inaccuracies. GPS drift is a problem they haven't mastered yet, and can cause wild errors in distances.

As a newcomer to this field Magellan hasn't got their support act quite together yet, although it's better than Garmin's at the same stage of development. And the Magellan Cyclo web page is basic. Very basic.

The 505's strength is its navigation, not its training aids. An obvious omission is a lap recording function. A major software enhancement was due before the end of the year, but may have been delayed by the need to release bug fixes - who knows what new functionality that will bring.

If you want lots of training data buy a Garmin. If you want good navigation buy a 505. Be prepared to experience a few idiosyncrasies and frustrations whichever you choose.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:09 pm

If you want a GPS for cycling training do not buy the magellan. That's not what it does.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:35 pm

Comedian wrote:If you want a GPS for cycling training do not buy the magellan. That's not what it does.
True but then again the Magellan leaves a lot to be desired on the navigation front. No auto back light for example. I use navigation at night on audax rides and this would be a major shortcoming. Short battery life and the awkward position of the USB charging port. So I'll keep my Garmin 800.

mag

Postby mag » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:38 am

I'm looking at the Magellan Cyclo (probably the 500), but one of the main reasons would be to track a cycling holiday in Vietnam. I know you can't yet load new maps, but will it at least record the GPS positions so that I can review the route on Strava? Has anyone tried their Cyclo overseas?

bane

Postby bane » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:52 pm

This device is currently only $260 on Wiggle and comes with Cadence and HRM sensors. This will be my first major bike computer investment and it looks to be a bargain. As its been around for a couple of years, I'm wondering if early adopters are still enjoying the product? Are you still satisfied? Any key issues you've found. Major positives or negatives. Reviews online seems quite strong.

http://www.this link is broken.au/magellan-cyclo ... rmcadence/

gm6046

Postby gm6046 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:48 pm

It's also currently $219 at JB Hifi (including cadence/speed sensor via redemption)

I find the touch screen in the rain unusable, if I was to upgrade in the future I would go for a unit with buttons instead.

bane

Postby bane » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:56 pm

I did see the JB deal, but I figured with the HRM in for just another $40, it was probably worth it (since I don't already have one). Thanks anyway.

The rain issue does sound frustrating, but I take it you are in fact still using it to good effect?