Riding from SOR to NOR

higdawg

Riding from SOR to NOR

Postby higdawg » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:47 pm

Eek,

As someone who lives South of the River I was looking at riding to a friends house at Carramar soon but I have never ridden north of the city.
Looking at a few maps and that of the PSP, does it run all the way up to the end of the Mitchell then chuck a right onto Joondalup Drive?

Thanks

worzel

Re: Riding from SOR to NOR

Postby worzel » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:15 pm

I got lost several times heading south before I finally found my way from Currambine to the city but north seems to be easier. Signage through Vincent is pretty good but Joondalup less so. There are plenty of alternative routes and one or two tricky crossings thru Ozzy Park then over Hutton, Cedric and Karrinyup Roads. You cross over the freeway a few times (I use Loftus, Hutton, the narrow bridge by Cedric and Greenwood Station and you will switch again at Moore Drive). Trailwood Park at Woodvale is a path that is not well marked and you jump on / off quiet suburban roads / paths several times around Duncraig through to Whitfords.

At the top I think you come off by Currambine station and go underneath but I haven't lived in Carramar for a few years. Burns Beach Road / Joondalup Drive to Carramar is a busy dual carriageway but there is a good shoulder. It will be about 40km from the CBD.

higdawg

Postby higdawg » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:13 am

sweet, thanks mate.

toofat

Postby toofat » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:50 am

that psp is imo the worst in perth
a more pleasant, if a bit longer way is up the coast, bits of road and psp up to Hillarys boat harbour then psp up to Burns Beach road then cut acroos to Carramar

higdawg

Postby higdawg » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:37 pm

Sounds good mate. Always up for a more scenic route.
I'll look into it.

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:11 pm

Hi guys,

The PSP, alongside the Mitchell Freeway, may be "the worst in Perth" but it is a Principal Shared Path and relatively pedestrian free and provided for faster commuter cycling.

The coastal shared path, however, is not a PSP. This is a Recreational Shared Path (RSP) and designed for recreational cycling and walking. As it is recreational, the recommended speed for the RSP is 20 km/h (slower in some highly conflicted locations) and faster cyclists are expected to use the adjacent roads.

Even so, it is a popular route with many fast cyclists riding on the roads, although too many ride on the path as if it is a PSP.

worzel

Postby worzel » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:10 am

The coast is okay between Sorrento and Iluka where you can ride on the road with a good shoulder. Marmion Ave is pretty good too but doesn't have a shoulder when you get down towards Scarbs. But for going CBD to Joondalup you are still looking at all those less safe bits I mentioned getting out of the city before you head east on Karrinyup Road, Hepburn Ave etc. And that is another thing, I have yet to find a really good safe east / west route for riding a PSP / coast triangle at weekends. I usually do Hepburn but stick to the footpath until the shoulder appears when you get close to Hillarys. Anyone got a recommendation for a route to the coast down that way?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

softy

Postby softy » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:47 am

I must admit I haven't ridden on the north freeway psp much and this is because it is pretty horrible from perth to osborne park. I would rather ride up Wanneroo road. This needs alot of work.

It is rough, doubles back and is just disqusting approaching the hutton street intersection. How can you call a painted path a psp?

Also a concern is how to get through the city. With all the works at wellington street como beach and Elizabeth quay. It is a torturous path through detours and make shift paths. Any suggestions?

SNAKE ®

Postby SNAKE ® » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:57 pm

Very easy.
When you cross the narrows - West side, go up the hill past parliament and keep going straight down George Street all the way to Harbourtown. Turn left and head up past CityWest station then take the path to the Loftus Street bridge and turn right at the lights. Follow Loftus Street for a few kms and you will merge into Wanneroo Rd.
2011 CANNONDALE SUPERSIX SUPER RECORD TEAM LIQUIGAS
2013 CANNONDALE SLICE RS BLACK Inc
2013 CANNONDALE SCALPEL 29ER CARBON 1

softy

Postby softy » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:04 pm

SNAKE ® wrote:Very easy.
When you cross the narrows - West side, go up the hill past parliament and keep going straight down George Street all the way to Harbourtown. Turn left and head up past CityWest station then take the path to the Loftus Street bridge and turn right at the lights. Follow Loftus Street for a few kms and you will merge into Wanneroo Rd.
Cheers never thought of lotus.