Quality training wheels

zill

Quality training wheels

Postby zill » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:16 pm

I'm currently looking for a quality pair of (clincher) wheels for training purposes. However, during training, I might (given the opportunity) want to race or chase other people on the road so still want something fast.

Ideally want something durable, shallow in the rims, not too heavy, excellent in wet conditions, stable, not easily damaged and fast(ish)!

Could anybody offer some suggestions, please?

open roader

Re: Quality training wheels

Postby open roader » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:21 pm

zill wrote:I'm currently looking for a quality pair of (clincher) wheels for training purposes. However, during training, I might (given the opportunity) want to race or chase other people on the road so still want something fast.
I liked Campagnolo Eurus for the above purposes. Like most things in life your choice will have to compromise elements. You have not stated a weight max. or a budget. Eurus wheels are no light weight wheel set by any stretch but they are rock solid and yet responsive enough. The hubs are first class and I found the spokes stiffer than those fitted to the same era Shamal wheels. I also felt Eurus were a more responsive wheel than Mavic Ksyrium Elite.
zill wrote:excellent in wet conditions
Regular cleaning of alloy rim brake tracks and cleaning of pads as well as decent pad selection and brake setting will help out in the wet more than one wheel brand over another for wet weather braking.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

zill

Postby zill » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:43 pm

oh forgot to mention that I am running Shimano gears.

Would combination of carbon plus alloy rims work well?

Open minded about my budget! If something is worth the money, I will try to get it.

open roader

Postby open roader » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:48 pm

zill wrote:oh forgot to mention that I am running Shimano gears.
They (Campag. wheelsets) come with Shimano / Sram freehub options.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

zill

Postby zill » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:06 pm

open roader wrote:
zill wrote:oh forgot to mention that I am running Shimano gears.
They (Campag. wheelsets) come with Shimano / Sram freehub options.
One of those wheels have a weird looking spoke pattern. Are they not as durable when the spokes are lined like that?

zill

Postby zill » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:28 pm

Also how does it compare to the similar level wheels of Shimano, Mavic and Fulcrum?

Also is the Campagnolo Shamal another option?

a

Postby a » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:13 pm

Campag = Fulcrum

My experience is they are bombproof

Rockford

Postby Rockford » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:51 pm

http://www.mavic.com/wheels-road-triath ... um-elite-s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Haven't missed a beat for me.

zill

Postby zill » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:54 pm

a wrote:Campag = Fulcrum

My experience is they are bombproof
So which in the fulcrum range would you recommend?

zill

Postby zill » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:28 pm

Also are there any down sides with training with a carbon wheel either tubular or clincher?

toppity

Postby toppity » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:21 am

RS80's. If you shop around they are not too expensive. They are a carbon wrap over an alloy rim and tick all the boxes in your original post. I've trained and raced on them (although I use Zipp's for racing now). I can not fault them for over 10,000km.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:40 am

Another tick for RS81s- can be found online around $500 if you are lucky, 2 guys at work use them for everything including commuting/training and love them. Would be on my list if I wasn't getting custon wheels myself.

Also Prolite Braccianos, particualrly if you are lighter. Meranos also would be a good choice, a bit stronger but heavier

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:30 pm

For training I wouldn't bother too much about weight - just go for durability. Those wheels are going to get a lot of use - you need them to last.

I've had good fortune with Giant PSL0 and PSLR, but I'm a lightweight so your mileage may vary.
zill wrote:Also are there any down sides with training with a carbon wheel either tubular or clincher?
They are terrible in the wet for stopping. And expensive. Better to use cheaper wheels.

Cul

Postby Cul » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:33 pm

Don't be put off by Tubulars; I ride tubs every day - with great results on the crappy, potholed chip seal roads around home. They aren't really all that much expensive when you consider good clincher tires and tubes run more than $75 per end, you will find plenty of tubular tires on wiggle for less than that. Sure they are a little more work but the ride quality is so much better.

I started riding them in Nov last year, and haven't looked back.
My Training & Racing Blog: http://mountainbikemediocrity.wordpress.com
Fuelled By: Pro4mance

zill

Postby zill » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:53 pm

Cul wrote:Don't be put off by Tubulars; I ride tubs every day - with great results on the crappy, potholed chip seal roads around home. They aren't really all that much expensive when you consider good clincher tires and tubes run more than $75 per end, you will find plenty of tubular tires on wiggle for less than that. Sure they are a little more work but the ride quality is so much better.

I started riding them in Nov last year, and haven't looked back.
I might even train with tubular wheels. Can you recommend some puncture resistant tubular tires?

Cul

Postby Cul » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:20 pm

Conti Sprinter, Conti Comp and Vittoria Corsa Elite have all been quite good for me. I run them with 20ml of SPEX tire sealant which I also use in my MTB tires, I also carry a can of Vittoria Pitstop in case of a flat. In the last 10k kms I've had one flat, but even then you could still ride on the tire with a bit of care. It got me home, albeit a little slower.
My Training & Racing Blog: http://mountainbikemediocrity.wordpress.com
Fuelled By: Pro4mance

ramp

Postby ramp » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:48 am

Swiss Side franc Evo 3. I moved to these from the manufacturers Giant P-SL1 wheels and, who knew, wheels do make a difference. Satisfactory lightness at 1569gm the set, Sapim spokes, stiff and durable enough to cope with my commute rides also. I thought i got a bargain at Euro 414 but now seem them from the manufacturer at E 375 I get a few comments on the look as well if that is important to you

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:00 pm

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;n ... ;orderby=2
I have one of these rear's. Only 1000k on it so far but it gets a pounding over carp roads in all weather. All good :)
Just about any 24 spoke or greater front wheel will do. The front wheel isn't dished like the rear and carries less weight so is under alot less stress.

Dogs are the best people :wink:

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:02 pm

Fulcrum 3's are great training wheels, have thrashed mine and I got them second hand so who knows how many km's

Have raced them (when my 404's disappeared) not as good of course but no where near the difference I was expecting.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:44 pm

Can't fault my DT Swiss Tricon RR1450. Have over 18K on them and I've just retired them early. Bearings are still as smooth as silk, completely true and the braking surfaces are still good.

At 1500g, you won't believe they are alloy. The full carbon wheels replacing them are only 150gm lighter! Oh, and they are convertible from Campy to Shimano & back again without tools.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:49 pm

ValleyForge wrote:Can't fault my DT Swiss Tricon RR1450. Have over 18K on them and I've just retired them early. Bearings are still as smooth as silk, completely true and the braking surfaces are still good.

At 1500g, you won't believe they are alloy. The full carbon wheels replacing them are only 150gm lighter! Oh, and they are convertible from Campy to Shimano & back again without tools.
That's impressive.... Are they still available? I need to check Wiggle/c r c/Probikekit etc.

anttismo

Postby anttismo » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:11 am

warthog1 wrote:http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;n ... ;orderby=2
I have one of these rear's. Only 1000k on it so far but it gets a pounding over carp roads in all weather. All good :)
Just about any 24 spoke or greater front wheel will do. The front wheel isn't dished like the rear and carries less weight so is under alot less stress...
I can imagine going with something like that in the future. I bought a set of RS81s a while back which have been fine, but only perhaps 5000km on them. AT 100kg and riding over all manner of crappy stuff, kind of interested how long it will hang together, 20 spokes and all...

And yeah, I have a growing collection of serviceable front wheels. Probably only wear out braking surfaces, doesn't seem to matter how light or how few spokes they have, they all seem to remain straight and true :)

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:54 am

Im a fan of Pro-Lite A27 Bracciano's. 1480g combined, roll for ages, smooth, robust and semi aero (27mm). They are perfect as a training and everyday wheel.Price $419

http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/product ... elset.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD