Mark Cavendish what's doing??????

40kmph

Mark Cavendish what's doing??????

Postby 40kmph » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:46 am

Seriously, what a knob.

Hope his tour is finished. What was he thinking, why would you lean into another rider like that? If he is fit to ride he should be kicked out of the tour.

He is currently leading the what a knob category I doubt they'll surpass that act of stupidity, though it is only stage 1 but he has a massive lead.

Not how I wanted to make my first post, but what do you do, the mans a grub that was on par with Suarezs biting his opponent.

richbee

Re: Mark Cavendish what's doing??????

Postby richbee » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:59 pm

Leaning on an opponent who crowding you in a sprint is pretty normal. Perhaps your judgement is clouded because it was your hero Gerrans who was the other rider?
Robbie McEwan did that all the time, was he a knob too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40kmph

Postby 40kmph » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:11 pm

have you watched the 100m leading upto the crash, didn't see the aussie crowding anyone??? Maybe I was watching a different race?
keep an eye out for morons they're everywhere

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:21 pm

I think tour posts should stay in the tour thread. Keeps spoilers out of subject lines for those unable to watch live.

Sometimes in sprints things go wrong and people make mistakes. I doubt he deliberately set out to cause a crash. He also admitted his error and apologised, which is more than you can say for many reckless sprinters.

I wouldn't wish harm to any rider. His injury means remaining sprint stages become less interesting.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:01 pm

Yes Cavendish admitted it was his fault. Looks like he cracked under the pressure and tried to make a crazy move.

"I'm gutted about the crash today. It was my fault. I'll personally apologise to Simon Gerrans as soon as I get the chance," said Cavendish, a winner of 25 Tour stages since 2008.

"In reality, I tried to find a gap that wasn't really there".

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/tou ... z36f52czkD

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:35 pm

richbee wrote:Leaning on an opponent who crowding you in a sprint is pretty normal. Perhaps your judgement is clouded because it was your hero Gerrans who was the other rider?
Robbie McEwan did that all the time, was he a knob too?

/end thread.

Blame tapatalk
Dogs are the best people :wink:

richbee

Postby richbee » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:55 pm

My point, blunt as it was, is not to defend Cavendish, but to point out that there's no place for calling anyone a knob as the OP has done.
Sprinters go for gaps that aren't there. Some times they win, sometimes they fall. But if they don't try they might as well not be racing. Cav is no different to McEwan in this respect, or any other sprinter for that matter.
Except Abdoujaparov, but that's another story altogether...

celeste boy

Postby celeste boy » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:18 pm

I won't fall into the trap of saying that Cavendish does it all the time but this is not the first time he has done this, caused injury and deeply apologised. Why do the Australians cop it from him?

CB

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:22 pm

Abdu was unique. He's still about the place, coaching and technical advice and making bike parts he says on his public profile.

herzog

Postby herzog » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:27 pm

Can we keep this sorta stuff in the TDF thread to avoid bombing the boards with spoilers?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:29 am

richbee wrote:Leaning on an opponent who crowding you in a sprint is pretty normal.
From what I can see, Cavendish doesn't seem to be crowded, rather he's leaning well out of his line to push Gerrans aside

That's a rule isn't it? Keeping to your line in the final sprint.
richbee wrote:Robbie McEwan did that all the time, was he a knob too?
Yes.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

tobes88

Postby tobes88 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:48 am

Thing about Abdoujaparov is that the time when he really came off his line, it was principally to take out an inflatable coke can on his right, and the carnage he inflicted was principally upon himself (though Museeuw probably begs to differ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nt4x3nuzfQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nate

Postby Nate » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:55 pm

yeah i saw the replay....

didnt Renshaw get belted because of this exact behaviour? :\

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:56 pm

Knobism has further impacts

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/ne ... ys-gerrans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:08 pm

Nate wrote:yeah i saw the replay....

didnt Renshaw get belted because of this exact behaviour? :\
yep 2010

http://www.ridemedia.com.au/tour-de-fra ... -violence/
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:13 pm

Was Cav leaning on Simon Gerrans to prevent a crash after making the mistake of trying to squeeze thru? I've looked a the video several times and I'm not seeing intent to push Simon over, though its hard to tell from the video

A few years back I ended up leaning on another rider after we took avoidance of a fallen rider, I leaned on him for perhaps 5 seconds before I/we were able to find the balance to separate without falling off
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:33 pm

Really hard to find the video - looks like a big crackdown on publishing the footage unless you are a media partner and show long ads before the video and the entire stage recap.
http://www.sbnation.com/cycling/2014/7/ ... e-1-injury" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cycling is in my BNA

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:42 pm

Plenty on steephill.tv
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

hooman

Postby hooman » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:59 pm

Great sprinter...
...poor sport.

I have no time for his behavior. He did the same to Thor Hushovd and got disqualified. He also knocked the German dude last year too. It's recurrent behavior that should be scrutinized more acutely.

Nah...forever a loser even if he wins.
'09 Giant TCR C2 Shimano 105
'10 Cervelo RS Shimano Ultegra
'11 Time NXR Instinct SRAM RED Black
'12 Pinarello Dogma 2 Shimano DuraAce DI2

Undertow

Postby Undertow » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:39 am

mikesbytes wrote:Was Cav leaning on Simon Gerrans to prevent a crash after making the mistake of trying to squeeze thru? I've looked a the video several times and I'm not seeing intent to push Simon over, though its hard to tell from the video

A few years back I ended up leaning on another rider after we took avoidance of a fallen rider, I leaned on him for perhaps 5 seconds before I/we were able to find the balance to separate without falling off
The problem was Gerrans got sandwiched. I'm not defending Cav, but no one seems to mentioning the rider on Gerrans left who basically did the same thing but managed to stay upright.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:32 am

Undertow wrote:The problem was Gerrans got sandwiched. I'm not defending Cav, but no one seems to mentioning the rider on Gerrans left who basically did the same thing but managed to stay upright.
Gerrans seemed ok until Cavendish pushed against and moved Gerrans over onto the other rider who do a good job reacting.

In the video we don't really see what happened before Cav started leaning onto Gerrans. I assume that Cav was caved in and wanted to move over.
Cycling is in my BNA

KGB

Postby KGB » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:15 am

It always LOOKS bad for one rider, moreso than the other/s even though sometimes blame might be equal (unlikely here).
People who don't race don't seem to realise that leaning or a push/headbutt is often an action made by the aggressor but sometimes made the the defender too. Once you commit to leaning on someone it can be hard to pull out - unless you push hard enough to right yourself again!

Try leaning on a mate at a slow pace riding in your driveway, then imagine doing it at 60km/h and remember that you can't ease off the gas or you've just raced 200km for nothing.

The point I'm trying to make is that while Chav was in the wrong here, leaning and pushing is part of sprinting. I'm annoyed as a fan of Gerro but they're not playing netball out there!