When carrying food for any great distance

FXST01

Postby FXST01 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:47 pm

Just enquiring on how people pack/carry their food when touring.

Do you use a sealable plastic container inside your panniers? With ziplock bags inside?

cheers for now

Eddie

il padrone

Re: When carrying food for any great distance

Postby il padrone » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:42 pm

Dry foods like oats, sultanas, milk powder get placed into ziplock bags. Olive oil, butter and other liquids get stored in Nalgene canisters (the only thing that will securely hold olive oil).

Fruit and vegies can travel longer if placed in an insulated cooler bag - take them out of any plastic bags. I have a couple of 'Smash' brand lunch cooler packs that have been used for the last 10-15 years and work very well - they just fit neatly inside my front Ortlieb Sportpackers. I do need to replace them however as they are getting a bit tatty.

Bread is always packed at the top of the pannier to avoid crushing - same for bananas. The bread can even be slung in a plastic bag secured under the occie strap by the neck, on top of the rear load, if there is no room in the pannier. I always get bread in a loaf, unsliced. It will travel better and keep fresher. On longer tours I will use roti bread from Coles as it lasts even longer.

Meats - if carried, freeze it and wrap in alfoil. By the end of the day it will be thawed ready for the pan. Longer tours any meat is usually salami or tinned fish.

My food is normally all carried in the front panniers, well away from the clothes and sleeping bag, so if any spills do occur it is not normally a major problem. Long experience touring and camping with various foods has taught me of the virtue of this - a mate once had a classic canvas Paddymade tent that, for two decades, continued in service but sported a stain right across the roof from a leaked margarine pack on a 35C day :lol: :lol:

*Note: if you carry spreads, use butter rather than margarine. In the heat of summer be prepared for your butter to turn to ghee.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:39 pm

I never carry liquid foods, they inevitably heavy and bulky. Dried foods are light and compact and easily packed in ziplock bags. Where there are shops I resupply en route to avoid unnecessary carrying.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Re: When carrying food for any great distance

Postby il padrone » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:58 pm

Dehydrated olive oil ??

:P
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."