Dead DI2

Newcastle Dave

Dead DI2

Postby Newcastle Dave » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:50 am

I have had my Cell Omeo for a little over 6 months now, and the Ultegra DI2 hasnt missed a beat (until yesterday). I had been away and off teh bike fo r10 days, and when I went to go for a ride yesterday, I found the DI2 was completely dead.

I had checked the charge level a few weeks earlier, and it had been still on full (I have charged it twice in the 6 months/4500 km), but thought perhaps it had somehow beeen completely discharged.

Put it on the charge last night, nothing. The charges lights were not showing it charging, but I left it on for a few hours to be sure.

I removed the seatpost and checked the battery connection and it was fine, I was also worried in case moisture had penetrated (from riding in teh crappy weather a couple of weeks ago), but it was bone dry. The only thing I found was a small cut in the insulation of teh wire leading from the battery (not sure how that could occur).

Anyone got any ideas on what else I could check before I drive the 200 k to Sydney to get Cell to take a look ?

Dragster1

Re: Dead DI2

Postby Dragster1 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:37 am

Get a multimeter and check if your battery has any voltage to determine if it has failed or not and check your charger is working also.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:43 am

A mate had a similar issue recently, his would take a charge but go completely dead again in under a day. Turned out to be a dodgy shifter that was constantly pulling power from the battery.

As dragster said, take to it with a multimeter to check the battery and the charger. Other than that, I daresay a phone call to cell is in order.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Carrots

Postby Carrots » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:46 am

Perhaps unp;ug all the connections (shifters and derailleurs) when charging and see if it charges up then. Does sound somewhat of a dud battery though if it's not evening showing a charge occurring.

Newcastle Dave

Postby Newcastle Dave » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:51 am

Dragster1 wrote:Get a multimeter and check if your battery has any voltage to determine if it has failed or not and check your charger is working also.
Just got hold of a multimeter, its showing around 5 volts at the battery

Cell has suggested checking the connections for coxide on the connections, have tried unplugging and replugging a few times, still dead :cry:

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:58 am

Given the voltage is supposed to be 7.2 V then I would suggest that the battery itself has failed...

This is an interesting discussion http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f4 ... 37491.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:42 pm

5v = dead battery

Newcastle Dave

Postby Newcastle Dave » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:09 pm

Well, the bike is now at a LBS. They are going to try a new battery (they are flat out and wont get a chance until tomorrow). If it is the battery I guess I will have to try and get Cell to replace it (under warranty ?) - not sure what the warranty is on a battery ?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:15 pm

REgardless of the actual warranty I would argue that 6 months does not meet the a consumers reasonable expectations of battery life.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Newcastle Dave

Postby Newcastle Dave » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:47 pm

Well, battery now winging its way to Cell via Express Post. I hope this gets sorted quickly as I use the biek both for commuting and fitness/recreation

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:56 pm

Sadly this is becoming the new normal with electronics. Works even better, when it works, but when it stops you can't fix on the side of the road or in your shed, and have to send the parts away to an 'electronics' person. So then just send you a replacement because they can't be bothered to fix it either.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:18 pm

bychosis wrote:Sadly this is becoming the new normal with electronics. Works even better, when it works, but when it stops you can't fix on the side of the road or in your shed, and have to send the parts away to an 'electronics' person. So then just send you a replacement because they can't be bothered to fix it either.
This so true but you get a lot on here saying they never give any problems, my experience is way different.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:20 pm

Newcastle Dave wrote:Well, battery now winging its way to Cell via Express Post. I hope this gets sorted quickly as I use the biek both for commuting and fitness/recreation
Get yourself a cheap 2nd hand backup bike with mechanical shifters :wink:

Newcastle Dave

Postby Newcastle Dave » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:42 pm

Dragster1 wrote:
Newcastle Dave wrote:Well, battery now winging its way to Cell via Express Post. I hope this gets sorted quickly as I use the biek both for commuting and fitness/recreation
Get yourself a cheap 2nd hand backup bike with mechanical shifters :wink:
Well, I was thinking that the new Cell CX bike would make a great wet weather commuter, not sure I could convince the other that it would be a cheap backup though :D

I do have an old non-suspension moutain bike in the shed, its 30 years old and ways a tonne (well compared to the road bike). May have to drag it out this weekend

Newcastle Dave

Postby Newcastle Dave » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:24 pm

Well, sent the battery to Cell Thursday, got a new one back today (probably would have been quicker, but the support guy handling it was off sick on Friday)

Fitted it to the bike this evening all seems fine -

Not happy that it failed but Cell were prompt and even refunded me the postage costs, can't complain about that :D

Alien27

Postby Alien27 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:38 pm

I would check the limit adjustments. If the derailleur is trying to complete a shift but being prevented by a limit screw then it will eat up battery after a while just sitting in the shed. Battery's don't like being totally discharged especially for a length of time so they will kark it.
Tom