The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

g-boaf

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:42 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Just make sure you done rub to high up the leg and broach the crutch area! :shock: :lol:

Foo
Eeek! :shock: That would be eye watering. :lol:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:25 pm

Done that many times :lol:
So much for an early morning ride this morning, backdoor opened in a bad way :-( ... Not looking forward to lugging my bike and bag around for 5 hours!

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:06 pm

toolonglegs wrote:So much for an early morning ride this morning, backdoor opened in a bad way :-( ... Not looking forward to lugging my bike and bag around for 5 hours!
?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:33 pm

Backdoor = Bit of gastro and the consequences :lol:

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:23 pm

Righto

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:27 am

No colon waterslide for me, two days off and hit the weights again today. I've been battling a couple inflamed tendons in each shoulder, but managed to get around both of them. Managed 22x3+20 sets, I'm shocked that I moved 9500kgs today - a month ago it was lucky to be 3000. Yikes!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:35 pm

Very short slow ride for me... followed by 6 hours interpreting in hospital ... more tired now than doing an alpine pass :lol: .

Tarquin

Postby Tarquin » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:28 pm

50km last night with a few hills, followed by a 50km hilly bunch this morning.

Feeling not too bad. Riding on a wave of improvement which seemed to arrive at the weekend after being stagnant for a few weeks. Away till Friday now with work it looks like which is a bummer.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:42 pm

4x8min at 90% with 90sec rests.

There will be a lot more of those on the way. :oops: :D

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:36 am

Trainer sessions - more pain than a Pauly Shore movie marathon, viewed Clockwork Orange style 8)

Busted 10000kgs for the weights session today! I did sets of 3x25 and had trouble walking comfortably after Saturday. Today, 22, 25, 25, 25 and I pushed out the kettlebell swing and deadlift to 30. Squeezed out 4x15 for the overhead press and the pushups - very proud of those, because they are severe weak points for me. The whole shoulder area is getting more stable - Feeling better and better each time.

Emailed Joe Friel about the AA - MT - MS transitions and he just said "don't do max strength this year". Saves me buying another kettlebell - I'm not getting past 28 kgs doubled up 8)

Tbanger

Postby Tbanger » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:59 pm

Xplora wrote:Trainer sessions - more pain than a Pauly Shore movie marathon, viewed Clockwork Orange style 8)

Busted 10000kgs for the weights session today! I did sets of 3x25 and had trouble walking comfortably after Saturday. Today, 22, 25, 25, 25 and I pushed out the kettlebell swing and deadlift to 30. Squeezed out 4x15 for the overhead press and the pushups - very proud of those, because they are severe weak points for me. The whole shoulder area is getting more stable - Feeling better and better each time.

Emailed Joe Friel about the AA - MT - MS transitions and he just said "don't do max strength this year". Saves me buying another kettlebell - I'm not getting past 28 kgs doubled up 8)

Are you training for cycling , or the Mr Puniverse Competition? 8)

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:02 pm

Tbanger wrote:
Xplora wrote:Trainer sessions - more pain than a Pauly Shore movie marathon, viewed Clockwork Orange style 8)

Are you training for cycling , or the Mr Puniverse Competition? 8)
I have been undefeated as Mr Puniverse for 20 years straight already. Need some basic strength, and the offseason is the time to do it!

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:54 pm

Off season? Every season for me is the off season :lol:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:42 pm

TdF and recovery sleep don't go well together - slept until 10:30am today. Smashed out the bunch ride in the deep freeze yesterday morning, including power PBs up the last couple of climbs (should have been lifting years ago!), then coffees and magic powders, punched out another bigger session on the weights then walked the kids to the shops and back with dinner. It's only a 5km walk but they aren't 5 yet, it took a long time! :lol: I knew I'd be ruined but I don't remember hurting like this? :oops:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:06 pm

Dunno about training - but it was a nice 95km yesterday and a slower 15km ride back home after it. :)

I haven't yet managed to watch a full TDF stage yet - the need for sleep and busy days at work have prevented that. I'm kicking myself that I didn't watch the whole of yesterdays stage.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:45 pm

60Km recovery ride today after a hard race Saturday and a not so hard crit yesterday. The weather today was fantastic and got better after I'd finished the ride, but had to go to work.... :(
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:07 pm

Really poor today - cramped up. I eased off before it went completely. It is frustrating trying to get back to where I was a few months back before sickness hit.

singlespeedscott

The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:39 pm

Did my semi weekly hard hills ride up to mt Mee. Unfortunately I think I went to hard enroute to the start of the hill as such I had nothing much for the climb. This was made more difficult by the damp roads which gave no traction on the steep sections. The Strava estimated average power for the ride was pretty good though.
http://www.strava.com/activities/166047116" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:17 pm

g-boaf wrote:Really poor today - cramped up. I eased off before it went completely. It is frustrating trying to get back to where I was a few months back before sickness hit.
Don't get too discouraged - I wonder if part of the "loss of fitness" is simply a throwback to a weak cardiovascular system after the illness - if you try and ride when you're ill, your heart rate skyrockets despite being otherwise quite fit. Maybe you're just taking some time to shake the last symptoms. The cold can hang around for quite a while. You'll be strong as an ox at RAW!

Two rest days done, back to the kettlebells. 5x25 and 5x20 for my weak spots (pushups and overhead press, my shoulders are no good). Weightwise, moved 13200kgs, last one that put me in a hole was 10600. WIN. Amazed I can move right now, thank God for Youtube lessons :mrgreen: next week moving up to 3x10s :x

Cul

Postby Cul » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:48 pm

Hit the MTB today for the first time, in.... TOO LONG! Was a good ride though, didn't have any specific focus other than going hard, plus I had a few PR's I wanted to beat.

... and beat them I did.

Shaved 15sec off my PR from May up a short 3min climb (11%avg, 24% peak grade), also shaved a handful of seconds off a few of the descents.

I also made a Strava segment of a little 2km loop I do occasionally (which incorporates the above climb), which will help with gauging improvements on the MTB; today I did 6 laps on the ride, all within 15sec from fastest (lap 4) to slowest (lap 2)... Pretty chuffed with that consistency and it was great to hit the dirt after months of the road bike taking preference.
My Training & Racing Blog: http://mountainbikemediocrity.wordpress.com
Fuelled By: Pro4mance

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:40 am

Xplora wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Really poor today - cramped up. I eased off before it went completely. It is frustrating trying to get back to where I was a few months back before sickness hit.
Don't get too discouraged - I wonder if part of the "loss of fitness" is simply a throwback to a weak cardiovascular system after the illness - if you try and ride when you're ill, your heart rate skyrockets despite being otherwise quite fit. Maybe you're just taking some time to shake the last symptoms. The cold can hang around for quite a while. You'll be strong as an ox at RAW!

Two rest days done, back to the kettlebells. 5x25 and 5x20 for my weak spots (pushups and overhead press, my shoulders are no good). Weightwise, moved 13200kgs, last one that put me in a hole was 10600. WIN. Amazed I can move right now, thank God for Youtube lessons :mrgreen: next week moving up to 3x10s :x
Yeah, maybe. I'm at least going in the right direction now - did better yesterday. Not quite up to my old level but getting closer. :) I'll just step it up by little bits each time. Yesterday's lot was at 107%. I'll just keep on doing those a few times a week - I'll get there. I think for a while I'd lost my motivation.

Cul

Postby Cul » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:13 am

4 x 8min at 105% FTP w/ 5min rests for me last night, still feeling a little off after being sick last week.
Hoping to knock out 3 x 20min at 90-95% FTP tonight before a 2hr Z1/2 ride tomorrow morning :-)

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:29 pm

Well done guys.

Another 13200kgs, and a rude shock. I thought I was smashing out supersets, but it seems you can only lift a kettlebell around 1500 times "so fast". Missed bible study by 90 MINUTES. Hopeless time management. In better news, Decided that I'm just going to finish my adaption period with a final 13200kg and start the next stage next week. Good fun.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:08 am

13500kgs done. I skipped the bunch ride to make sure I was home for the kids, good plan. Session must have taken two hours :roll:

Cul

Postby Cul » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:55 pm

Cul wrote:4 x 8min at 105% FTP w/ 5min rests for me last night, still feeling a little off after being sick last week.
Hoping to knock out 3 x 20min at 90-95% FTP tonight before a 2hr Z1/2 ride tomorrow morning :-)
Thursday: Didn't get the 3 x 20's done, I did 2 x sets of 8 x 30sec on/15 sec off Z6/7 Intervals instead, just a short session on the trainer.
Friday: 1hr Easy spin on the rollers.
Saturday: Was hoping for a slog fest but missed the mornings ride, so did 3 x 10mins (AT) 98% FTP on the rollers.
Today: 2 x 30min Tempo w/bursts, with an hour of Z2 and couple of sprints in the middle (easy bunch, with a few kicks). Managed to pick up a new 10-20sec power best.