Freeway Ride?

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:19 pm

I didn't even look at the jerseys this year though they looked nice - I stocked up at the start of summer and don't really need another :)

Some plastic round the seat post is a great way to go. I'll have a play with that on Saturday night. Not even sure the sticker will fit on the seat post as I'm gonna have to put my lights on to get to the station.

As much as I love daylight saving and the ability to ride after work (I can't ride before work do to canine commitments :D ), it does raise a whole heap of logistical questions I didn't have last year!!

And all that is without my fear that a train full of tightly packed bikes isn't the best thing for that shiny new carbon!! Maybe I'll travel with my bike lifted about my head!! :P

Moo...

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:08 pm

I've just picked up my entry pack and had a chat with the guy there. They're not bothered if you go in Group B,C or D as long as Group A get away on time.

Race sticker will fit nicely onto the seat post so at least it's better then those numbers you had to affix to your shirt (front and back) at the Great Bike Ride.

Cheers,

Gary

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:17 pm

Don't bother looking for me on this ride. I won't be riding. I just returned from a tour and cracked a crank arm. Depending on how far I stick the busted crank up somebody's somewhere, will depend on whether I get a replacement. I have a spare crank arm in stock so I'm covered.

My bike also sustained some damage on return transport. :cry: Nothing major, but I should be mobile again next week.

Make sure that you apply sunscreen lotion to the back of your legs, otherwise they'll bet badly burn't if you are not used to riding in the day.

Watch out for a lunatic on an overhead bridge with a camera and both arms in bandages. (Don't ask) :shock:

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:37 pm

Watch out for a lunatic on an overhead bridge with a camera and both arms in bandages. (Don't ask)

Sorry to hear you can't ride. Maybe I'll get my AC/DC High Voltage cycling jersey out of the closet so you can spot me! (I wore it last year)Anyone got a spare pair of Devil's Horns I can attach to my bike helmet?

BTW, How was the Busselton ride?

Cheers,

Gary

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:58 pm

gdl_gdl wrote:BTW, How was the Busselton ride?
Apart from the damage to the bike in transport the riding was good. The noise from the cracked crank arm started to drive me nuts after awhile.

The food was also very good. The Lion's clubs in each town should be commended for their contribution and the excellent catering they put on.

Brunswick Junction Lions club's catering was the highlight.

Getting lost was not good :shock: :D

As a solo tourer expected to be riding in a bunch, this was not good, and led to some friction with what in my opinion is dangerous riding in cross headwinds :D

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:31 pm

both arms in bandages. (Don't ask)

I have to!! :wink: Well?

Moo...

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:28 am

moosterbounce wrote:both arms in bandages. (Don't ask)

I have to!! :wink: Well?

Moo...
Well I was trying to light a smoke when I was riding when the fumes from my fuel bottle for my stove, (which was in the front water cage) exploded. :shock:

Not really :D There is a thread around here somewhere (if it hasn't gone the way of Europa's Sows Ear thread and vanished) about a killer bee sting that I got a few months ago on one leg which had some nasty after effects.

The after effect is still happening. The doctor said it was an allergic reaction to the anti-biotics at the time, but it keeps coming back. The end result is blisters all up my hands and arms. And it's not from sunburn.

I did a look up in Mr Google, who seems to have more knowledge than my local doctor, and I'm guessing now that it's heat related, due to our heat wave last week, which is when the symptoms came back.

I have to see the quack tomorrow so I'll see what his latest theory is going to be. Meanwhile I have to wrap bandages around my arms to absorb the blister output. I won't go on anymore, it's pretty gross. :shock: I could post some pretty gruesome photos :lol:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:55 pm

Why not, there's a picture of my bum with a purple dinner plate on it kicking around my hard drive, let's go nuts...

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:28 pm

Temps currently showing 19 - 32 C for Sunday with cloudy conditions. Wind directions appear to be heading towards a morning SE followed by a SW so fingers crossed!

Cheers,

Gary

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:15 pm

No photos thanks boys - I have a good enough imagination as it is!! (where is that "feeling ill" smiley?! :wink: )

Sounds like it could be a type of eczema - friend of mine gets it from extreme weather. Didn't have it for his first 35 years, then went to the frozen bits of Canada and now gets it in cold temps zero-ish or heat above 35.

Winds south east turning south west?! There is a God!! :D All fingers and toes in this household are firmly crossed. Even have the dogs crossing paws as every little bit counts. Figure with the size of their paws, it is bound to be a big help!!

Moo...

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:10 am

moosterbounce wrote:Sounds like it could be a type of eczema - friend of mine gets it from extreme weather. Didn't have it for his first 35 years, then went to the frozen bits of Canada and now gets it in cold temps zero-ish or heat above 35.
I went to the doctor today and he has no idea. The closest clue he had is invisible rays from space probably eminating from alien space probes :shock: Got anti histamines and steroid cream.

Your eczema idea theory could be close as the doc said it looked a bit like eczema, but because I had never had it before, he ruled it out. I did go to the frozen wastes of Tasmania awhile ago..............

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:47 am

bicyclewa wrote:I went to the doctor today and he has no idea. The closest clue he had is invisible rays from space probably eminating from alien space probes :shock:
It's like I keep telling you, line your helmet with foil :wink: Mind you, the buggers are getting clever - there's two at the moment that get onto tele a lot because they look like Kevin Rudd and John Howard :shock:

Richard

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:17 am

europa wrote:It's like I keep telling you, line your helmet with foil
I'm going to mount the satellite dish on top of my helmet to reflect the space rays back. :D

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:19 pm

Wind speeds now showing a morning E/NE for Saturday following by S/SE in the afternoon followed by an evening thunderstorm. :roll:

Your guess is as good as mine for Sunday! (Will get a more accurate Marine forecast tomorrow.)

Cheers,

Gary

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:54 pm

Outlook Sunday: Forecasts: NE winds 13/18 knots easing to 8/13 knots mid morning before shifting SE/SW and increasing 13/18 knots during the afternoon.

Taken from the Marine forecast...

Looks like a windy NE for Sunday! This will be interesting, at least it's the same for everybody.

Treat it like a good endurance ride! :wink:

Cheers,

Gary

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:25 am

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :cry:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:36 pm

moosterbounce wrote:Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :cry:
A single word answer. That leaves 5999 words for the rest of today.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
training log
ImageImageImage
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:31 pm

Is that all the words I'm allowed in a day? Gee...better shut myself in a cupboard after 1pm as I would have used up my quota :D Damn consultants...we are all just full of words... :wink:

Moo...

senator52

Postby senator52 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:25 pm

Gosh the weather looks like it could be really bad tommorrow :( i wonder if it will rain during the event...maybe just tonight, or even tommorrow arvo if St. Patrick's Day luck carries over :wink:

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:29 pm

Could even be some lightning on the ride. Should be for an interesting ride, the wind is from the north at the moment and I'm right near the freeway.

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:37 pm

Storms are forecast for the afternoon so it should be OK.

The windy NE should put a few riders off starting! (I assume the charity money is safe even if people don't ride!)

Kev - are you still planning to attend? Which bridge are you likely to be on? I'll keep an eye out for a rocket launcher with a bicyleWA flag! :wink:

Cheers,

Gary

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:41 pm

gdl_gdl wrote:Kev - are you still planning to attend? Which bridge are you likely to be on? I'll keep an eye out for a rocket launcher with a bicyleWA flag!
If all goes to plan I should be on the bridge near Lake Monger. I think it's a pedestrian bridge.

I might even sneak onto the freeway for a bit. I'll be easy to spot, I have white cream that looks like sun screen smeared all over both arms.

Kev.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:54 pm

I'll keep an eye out too Kev though I think you may be easier to spot than me!! I'll be on the scott bike with black knicks and a red jersey and black/grey/white helmet - yeah, I know, dressed the same as a thousand other people!! :wink:

The NE is putting me off. We are suckers and after doing the 30km, we are riding back to Greenwood to do the 10km with my work crew (and their kids - that was their excuse for not doing the 30). Sigh :D

Enjoy all!!

Moo...

sevenof25

Postby sevenof25 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:45 pm

Well I know it's a late post

the not quite 30km in 55min and then a 43km race back with some peloton I didn't know, I don't think they knew each other. There was a stop for coffee/cake at 130's (down with 130's it sux bad, the only good thing is the location location location) before finishing the last 15km to Kensington.
Kev you owe me a cup of coffee before you leave!

The moment you are conceived so is your death. Make the most of it.
:0)

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:42 pm

sevenof25 wrote:Kev you owe me a cup of coffee before you leave!
Bad news I'm afraid. I ain't leaving :shock: I'm actually moving to be closer to the other WA members here so we can have coffee at Hilary's :D

I'll catch up with you hopefully, I've got about 4 weeks. I might go out for a ride soon with panniers filled with polystyrene and hassle some racers :lol:

Kev.