Wheel Anomoly - Balance issues

harmonix1234

Wheel Anomoly - Balance issues

Postby harmonix1234 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:56 am

When my bike is in the workstand and I give the cranks a few spins, my bike starts to develop this wobble and shake the whole workstand.

My wheel is perfectly round, perfectly true, and perfectly dished.

I don't notice it when riding, it's only on the workstand that it does this.

Is it simply a matter of the additional weight of the valve stem adding a few frams to one side of the wheel that makes it do this?

Would I be correct in assuming that if I added an equal weight on the opposite side I would have a more balanced wheel?

Am I just being pedantic?

vosadrian

Re: Wheel Anomoly - Balance issues

Postby vosadrian » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:59 am

Mine does the same. I assume it is normal?

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:26 am

Bike wheels arn't balanced which is why you see that on the workstand. Its not an issue, in reality they arn't heavy enough and don't go fast enough to require balancing.

It really would be a waste of time but if you wanted to balance them yourself as a bit of an OCD science project - I'd use very small fishing sinkers - cut them half way through and crimp them onto a spoke with pliers.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:10 pm

The weight of the valve, the method of joining the rim and any reflectors on the wheels will all affect the balance. It's normal, don't worry about it.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:22 pm

I love it when I have a wheel that spins for ages, then rocks back and forward and eventually settles with the valve stem (or other balance point) at the bottom.

If you have a speedo magnet or reflector on the wheel make sure it is opposite the valve stem to help balance it out.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

harmonix1234

Postby harmonix1234 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:53 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I'll put my OCD back in. Or, CDO as I like to call it (That way it's alphabetical).

I think I'll just stick my Garmin Spoke magnet opposite the valve and get some tubes with shorter valve stems.
Cheers peeps.