How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

jasonc

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:52 am

you'd want a well sealed mug. otherwise coffee everywhere. and hot liquids on your legs may be unpleasant

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:14 pm

Bit of a wet one in Perth this morning. But not cold, so not too miserable... :D
<removed by request>

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:05 pm

Lizzy wrote:Accidentally forged a new path to winter commuting happiness, was visiting the folks on the weekend and as I was leaving, dad brought out a travel mug that I'd left in their car so long ago I forgot I'd ever had it. He said 'I'll just put it there for you", and drops it into my secondary bottle cage, where it sits perfectly and upright. How has this never occurred to me before?!

:idea: :idea: :D :idea: The clouds part, the angels sing ... and now, on my way to work, I get a nice big slurp of steamy goodness at the traffic lights instead of just sitting there getting PO'd :mrgreen:
Genius Lizzy. Will have to raid the cupboards for rapid implementation. Wonder how a camelback podium chill bottle would go.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:14 pm

Much better commute today, I rode the bike.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:14 am

After mild northerlies on Monday, we're back to the fresh and gusty version since yesterday, sigh.
A bit of rain this morning, but got to the office only mildly damp.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:26 am

was meant to rain this morning but I got work before it did. it's only drizzled since. there is some light rain coming but should clear by home time

westab

Postby westab » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:41 am

Rained on the way in but not heavy - I have to ride to swimming then on to soccer practice in the car with the #3 kid so it was the folding bike and the trailer. It has to be the worst combo in the wet; no grip, even less speed than normal, heavy, poor handling. The good news is the mud guards are really good but the trailer is still a mess.

Still I would rather ride that combo than walk, drive, or do Public transport.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:30 am

Last night I had some considerate drivers including one who gave way at a pinch point where the road turns and narrows, the bike lane disappears and there is a speedbump. This driver came up alongside me as I was still in the disappearing bike lane and I was braking to slot in behind them, but they then braked so that I could go in front, which was nice. I made sure I pushed it so they weren't slowed down in the 40kph area. :)

And this morning the left lane of Albert St just past Hoddle is still closed and it is amazing how that has made all the drivers so considerate and willing to wait behind cyclists and cruise in the right hand lane instead of the usual honks to get into the door zone gutter area of the left lane. Keep the lane closed with witches hats and orange tape forever, I say! :P

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:03 am

Discovered the resurfacing of Pariwi Road is finished made the trip better. I'm just a tad miffed I'm not riding home tonight to get the new downhill feel.

Jim

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:15 am

the fog in Brisbane was THICK this morning. Couldn't see the river on the Indooroopilly bridge :shock:

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:28 am

There was a fair amount of light fog about last night and one fairly thick patch. The cold weather has thinned the bikes out in the cage at work. My distance for the year is 6,416 so getting to 10,000 is looking good. The bike is going well but it will be needing a new set of tyres soon. I have a bit of a stockpile of assorted 26 inch tyre so will be getting rid of those before moving onto the set marathon plus that I bought off Torpedo7 a month or so ago.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:56 am

Well, was that an apple truck that lost its load and spewed it all over the MYT just under Church St (as well as the Monash)?

It looked like it'd take a long time to remove all those boxes strewn like a rubbish tip all over the MYT. I was in the car waiting for the lights on Alexandra Avenue and looked right and thought to myself "I didn't realise there was a rubbish dump there", then realised that was the lost load from the truck on the Monash. Hope no-one was riding on the MYT at that point at the time of impact.

I got honked this morning for claiming the lane on the downhill section of Collins St where I'm going at the speed limit. The taxi decided to start honking me when he was 20 metres away but actually never caught up with me and I then caught up with traffic. What a tool.

Last night I took a detour home to go pick up the mail for an overseas relation. On the way I used William St between La Trobe and the roundabout (beside Flagstaff) in both directions. I'm really happy with the new lines indicating they are putting in a buffer zone between the bike lane and parked cars, a large bike lane and then another buffer zone between the bike lane and the vehicle lane. Only problem is Melbourne City Council continues to have the bike lanes peter out and die at important pinch points like intersections. :roll:

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:37 am

Crisp but mostly sunny afternoon yesterday for my ride back. Really enjoyed the ride despite the headwind.
Light rain to start with this morning, but it petered out after a few kms and I made it into the CBD all dried out.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:27 pm

this morning - on Footscray Road, crossing at Tulla Fwy off-ramp - a severed chicken's foot..

FiveDaysAWeek

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:35 pm

jules21 wrote:this morning - on Footscray Road, crossing at Tulla Fwy off-ramp - a severed chicken's foot..
Sounds like a warning.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:56 pm

FiveDaysAWeek wrote:Sounds like a warning.
i didn't think of that. "why did the chicken cross the road?" "because... CHOP!" :D

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:25 pm

I was running late leaving the office and had to pick the kids up from school so pulled my finger out... Picked up a couple of kom's and PB's and that's with getting red lights and some cars slowing me down... I admit they slowed down to pass another cyclist but some drivers just have no idea... Anyway Managed to get home in time to shower and pick them up...of course my time was not effected by the rare tail wind, that just counter balance lugging the lap top bag
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

98octane

Postby 98octane » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:21 pm

Summernight wrote:Well, was that an apple truck that lost its load and spewed it all over the MYT just under Church St (as well as the Monash)?

It looked like it'd take a long time to remove all those boxes strewn like a rubbish tip all over the MYT. I was in the car waiting for the lights on Alexandra Avenue and looked right and thought to myself "I didn't realise there was a rubbish dump there", then realised that was the lost load from the truck on the Monash. Hope no-one was riding on the MYT at that point at the time of impact.
Yes, an apple truck jack-knifed. They closed the MYT from Burnley, so I had to ride amongst grid locked traffic on Swan St. I was much quicker than the cars crawling through there. :)

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:22 pm

WarbyD wrote:I keep looking at my unused bottle cage thinking "that'd be a great spot to put a travel mug for a nice warm coffee on the way to work" .. for some reason though, I never do..
If you are really serious about your morning coffee on the bike you could always get one of these.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

98octane

Postby 98octane » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:29 pm

Interesting ride tonight.

1. Saw a brazen fox running between the MYT and Yarra near AAMI Park. First I've seen in 3 years of riding along the river.

2. MYT still closed at Punt Rd to Burnley. At least 5 noise barrier panels have been knocked onto the Yarra north bank between the M1 and the MYT immediately east of Chapel St. Could be damage to the MYT too. Might be closed until next week or later.

3. Near Burke Rd, unfortunately, a ring tailed possum scurried out of shrubs just in front of me. No time to brake or avoid. I ran over it at 40kph, both wheels. It died instantly. It checked it was dead before moving it off the path. Poor little guy.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:22 am

98octane wrote:3. Near Burke Rd, unfortunately, a ring tailed possum scurried out of shrubs just in front of me. No time to brake or avoid. I ran over it at 40kph, both wheels. It died instantly. It checked it was dead before moving it off the path. Poor little guy.
did you keep it's foot for good luck?

I adjusted the saddle last night, unfortunately, I adjusted it too far. not as comfortable this morning :shock:

malnar

Postby malnar » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:26 am

Been riding to & from the train station (10ks all up) every work day this year. Its certainly been cold this week but not as bad as forecast. To drive to the station I would first have to re-connect the battery. I think it would take hail for me to resort to that.

Have ridden at least 10 ks on about 355 of the last 365 days. Should do about 4 - 4,500 ks this year (stopped using computer about 5 months ago).

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:42 am

98octane wrote:3. Near Burke Rd, unfortunately, a ring tailed possum scurried out of shrubs just in front of me. No time to brake or avoid. I ran over it at 40kph, both wheels. It died instantly. It checked it was dead before moving it off the path. Poor little guy.
Rest in peace, 98Octane Possum. Nothing much you can do in that situation.

Heavy traffic on the ride home last night. Probably the usual city traffic gridlock.

This morning the legs were really protesting and I just didn't feel it. Combination of the wind and the work week I think. I still enjoy the ride though. :)
I had to yell "Stop!" at a pedestrian who was crossing the tram stop on Macarthur (near Treasury) because she was walking between the cars and not looking. She stopped just before she would have stepped into my path but she clearly wasn't going to look or stop if I hadn't called out.

A couple of days ago in the morning a man ran in front of a tram crossing Elizabeth St on Bourke St. The light was just about to change to green so the tram driver had started the tram rolling when this man shot in front of the tram attempting to cross the road. The tram driver was quite upset going by the number of dings he gave the man. Although the old tram dings just don't have the annoyance factor... "ding ding ding" :roll:

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:48 am

98octane wrote: 1. Saw a brazen fox running between the MYT and Yarra near AAMI Park. First I've seen in 3 years of riding along the river.
you know what - i saw one crossing the Boullie last Sunday - broad daylight. same here, first time.. it was very casual, just hung around and watched me.
98octane wrote:2. MYT still closed at Punt Rd to Burnley. At least 5 noise barrier panels have been knocked onto the Yarra north bank between the M1 and the MYT immediately east of Chapel St. Could be damage to the MYT too. Might be closed until next week or later.
really? it was open last night. i tried to use the south side path, but that was flooded, so i gave up and crossed back to the north side and it was open!

also i ran over a rat once on the Moonee Ponds Ck path. i didn't stop to check its condition :)

98octane

Postby 98octane » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:55 am

jules21 wrote:
98octane wrote:2. MYT still closed at Punt Rd to Burnley. At least 5 noise barrier panels have been knocked onto the Yarra north bank between the M1 and the MYT immediately east of Chapel St. Could be damage to the MYT too. Might be closed until next week or later.
really? it was open last night. i tried to use the south side path, but that was flooded, so i gave up and crossed back to the north side and it was open!

also i ran over a rat once on the Moonee Ponds Ck path. i didn't stop to check its condition :)
It was closed around 9pm. Open again this morning, rubbish/broken panels all cleared away. Nice job Transurban/Parks Vic!