The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

jules21

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jules21 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:37 am

Myrtone wrote: There are a few bicycle only paths around and even there, I see them being misused by pedestrians. If a pedestrian is walking along that path and suddenly moves aside to narrowly miss a collision with a bicycle, is the cyclist still breaking the law?
the requirement for cyclists to yield only applies on shared paths. however in theory, there are broader duties under the road laws (not road rules) which make careless and dangerous driving (riding) offences. these are not constrained by the prescriptive elements of the road rules and failing to make a reasonable attempt to avoid a collision would likely be a breach of these. however, in practice, the police are often reluctant to prosecute for these - unless linked to a serious breach of a prescriptive road rule. this summarises one of the major problems for cyclists - there is little pressure on motorists to avoid colliding with cyclists, only obey road rules. and there is no road rule that makes such a collision an offence.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:01 pm

An older one now, but a heck of a tale. Makes Margaret Thatcher look positively angelic :P

And then there are a few different viewpoints on her behaviour locally that just don't seem to make the newspapers ???

The woman is a stir-crazed, turd-swinging old bat!
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:52 pm

She said;"He had a helmet on and all that cycle clothing and I had no protective clothing at all". :lol: Unbelievable.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:19 pm

jules21 wrote:
Undertow wrote:Because Peds are completely within their rights to walk on the right hand side of the path, and just using the path doesn't cause an obstruction. So when a bike correctly going down the left hand side of a path comes up against a Ped coming the other way walking on the right hand side of the path there is confusion about who needs to move. Both are using the path legally and could equally expect the other to move for them.
no, you cannot expect anyone to move for you. as a cyclist, you have a duty to yield to pedestrians - this isn't conditional on your being satisfied that the pedestrian is upholding other rules - it's absolute.

once you've slowed or stopped, you can safely negotiate the pedestrian. or you can both stand there facing each other all day, waiting for the other to move over. that's not actually against the law :)
I have a better way, I slowly roll behind them at 5km/h, and I will not pass them until they move to one side and or restrain their unleashed dogs. Which was in this case today, a couple with two dogs, both of them not on leashes and just for giggles, with a sign just 10 metres away telling them that dogs must be on leashes at all times.

I didn't say a word - but they did get the message loud and clear.

Tbanger

Postby Tbanger » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:35 pm

g-boaf wrote:
I didn't say a word - but they did get the message loud and clear.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:47 pm

il padrone wrote:An older one now, but a heck of a tale. Makes Margaret Thatcher look positively angelic :P

And then there are a few different viewpoints on her behaviour locally that just don't seem to make the newspapers ???

"What makes it worse is you get lots of young men with powerful bikes riding at speed..."
:lol: Somebody hasn't worked out how bicycles are motivated! :lol:
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:53 am

Apologies to the rider who was forced to slow on the Roe Hwy PSP as I did a U-turn at the Kenwick Link (WA). I wasn't paying proper attention and should have been.
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:57 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:
il padrone wrote:An older one now, but a heck of a tale. Makes Margaret Thatcher look positively angelic :P

"What makes it worse is you get lots of young men with powerful bikes riding at speed..."
:lol: Somebody hasn't worked out how bicycles are motivated! :lol:
Now that you mention it, I reckon there is something wrong with my bike... :)

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:27 pm

i had a corker last night, riding past Flinders St station, southbound on St Kilda Rd and a cyclist comes barreling down the road - directly towards us. not in the gutter - the middle of the road. for those not in Melb, this is a major intersection with pedestrians, cyclists, trams, cars everywhere. didn't stop mr. salmon from mixing it up though. me and another cyclist let loose with some valuable advice for him.

cmac

Postby cmac » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:59 pm

Hi Im new,BUT..
Im can't seem to find a definitive ruling on a problem in WA." The dismount at the crosswalk...or not" one.
I ride,I drive I see cretins of both races. I found in many parts of Europe (on internet) and Nth America that one may ride across a crosswalk. I also noted that in some European countries and Nth America that a bicycle is a vehicle and as such is subjected to such rules. to use a crosswalk the rider must dismount and become,magically, a pedestrian.
Now, I've had this experience having a cyclist came at flat chat onto a crosswalk giving motorists a cause for severe reactionary braking. This has happened outside the Freo Train station pre dawn 4 times so far.
Ive got really no problem with riding across per se, but you can see the logic, right
or is this a 'Secessionist Town' mentality?

Whats the rule?

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:20 pm

The WA Road Traffic Code 2000, Regulation 214, says:
214. No riding across road on crossing

(1) Subject to subregulation (2), the rider of a bicycle shall not ride across a carriageway, or part of a carriageway, on a children’s crossing, marked foot crossing or pedestrian crossing.
Modified penalty: 1 PU

(2) The rider of a bicycle may ride across a carriageway, or part of a carriageway, on a marked foot crossing if that crossing displays bicycle crossing lights and those lights are green.
It is not legal to ride across a pedestrian crossing in WA and it is subject to a $50 fine.

cmac

Postby cmac » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:31 pm

Thanks so much Scott.

I carried that rule in my head for years but,things change while you're asleep.
Im framing your reply.
The incidents I refer to are of people cycling down Market St and straight into the station. Its tempting to just career across,I know, but at least wait until nobodies coming.
This isn't what several riders are doing and the Laws of Physics have no favouritism.
Cheers again,
Craig.
Now if I could just find out about that rule my parents always drilled into me about riding single file.......nyuk nyuk.

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:11 am

From the article:
"He told me he was going to call the police, so I was sarcastic and said, 'Are you going to call your Mummy as well?'"

If a crazy old lady threw poo on me while cycling I would definitely call my mummy - she would find it hilarious! :D

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:16 am

Just depends whose yo momma.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:55 pm

aaannnnnnnddd I've spotted the cyclist who I've decided shall be known as The Baulkham Hills Douchebag again this morning. On form he blew the red light, then up onto the footpath. DOn't know how he passed the section that was full of personal trainers and trainees.

Massive spray from me, naughty words, so no audio :D.

Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:06 pm

Boognoss wrote:Massive spray from me, naughty words, so no audio :D.
And well deserved too IMO. I really don't get the arrogance of not being able to wait 4 seconds for the light to change. Ridiculous!
<removed by request>

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:13 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
Boognoss wrote:Massive spray from me, naughty words, so no audio :D.
And well deserved too IMO. I really don't get the arrogance of not being able to wait 4 seconds for the light to change. Ridiculous!
it's ok, he'll have his drivers license back soon enough :roll:

westab

Postby westab » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:24 pm

Boognoss wrote: Massive spray from me, naughty words, so no audio :D.
Saw the video when you passed him and thought that looks a little like me (reflective gear etc) - then realized where the video was filmed.

I have not ridden there for more than 10 years so it could not be me; agree that a good spray was in order. Hopefully he might change his ways before either he gets hurt or some poor innocent does.

It also looked like the don't care attitude was firmly in place - his head didn't even turn.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:59 pm

westab wrote:
Boognoss wrote: Massive spray from me, naughty words, so no audio :D.
Saw the video when you passed him and thought that looks a little like me (reflective gear etc) - then realized where the video was filmed.

I have not ridden there for more than 10 years so it could not be me; agree that a good spray was in order. Hopefully he might change his ways before either he gets hurt or some poor innocent does.

It also looked like the don't care attitude was firmly in place - his head didn't even turn.
You'd have known if you'd copped the spray, although old douchey didn't respond at all. Not even a flinch. I didn't spot telltale earphone cables either..... :?
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

westab

Postby westab » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:17 pm

Boognoss wrote:
You'd have known if you'd copped the spray, although old douchey didn't respond at all. Not even a flinch. I didn't spot telltale earphone cables either..... :?
Mate you ever catch me running a red - you have my permission to spray me even worse. It won't be the worse one I'll get because I am sure the first time I do it will be the day Mrs Westab is dropping the kids off to me for a ride home I just got busted being a bad example :oops: :roll: :oops: . There will sure be an education process that night followed by sleeping in the dog house for a week :!:
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:19 pm

How do you pull the audio off your footage, Boognoss? I can't work out how to do it... Unless it requires an editing program I don't have.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:24 pm

Summernight wrote:How do you pull the audio off your footage, Boognoss? I can't work out how to do it... Unless it requires an editing program I don't have.
Summernight I use freeware Avidemux for simple editing like cutting up footage and removing audio mainly on my work comp - the fancy Mac with iMovie is the home machine. The audio track just needed to be deselected to remove it from the final output video.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:26 pm

westab wrote:
Boognoss wrote:
Mate you ever catch me running a red - you have my permission to spray me even worse. It won't be the worse one I'll get because I am sure the first time I do it will be the day Mrs Westab is dropping the kids off to me for a ride home I just got busted being a bad example :oops: :roll: :oops: . There will sure be an education process that night followed by sleeping in the dog house for a week :!:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:47 pm

Boognoss wrote:
Summernight wrote:How do you pull the audio off your footage, Boognoss? I can't work out how to do it... Unless it requires an editing program I don't have.
Summernight I use freeware Avidemux for simple editing like cutting up footage and removing audio mainly on my work comp - the fancy Mac with iMovie is the home machine. The audio track just needed to be deselected to remove it from the final output video.
I was surprised to find that Microsoft movie maker is actually a useful tool for my limited needs, largely cropping & combining files. It also allows you to remove the audio track as a "custom setting"
Anything you can do, I can do slower

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:27 pm

Hi Summernight
Just to give an idea, the pic is off my Power director video program. Rated highly but not as easy as some others. (To me anyway) It shows the time line and the sound line is selected. With the controls (Circled) I can add or reduce the sound right through or select sections to mute or remove if I want to. Or I can import sounds as well as speak over the area as well.
I have only just installed it and having a play. All strange to me and a bit of a learning curve. :)