How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

TailWind

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TailWind » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:32 am

DavidS wrote:Brr indeed. Still not quite cold enough for the full jacket. Rode in today in shorts, T shirt and the vest part of my jacket. Tomorrow I think the full jacket will finally get a run along with the fingered gloves.DS
Yesterday was chillier than this morning, definitely no shorts for me - longs, 2 top layers + shell and full-fingered gloves ...and 2 pairs of socks!
A lovely afternoon in Melbs made for an enthusiastic ride back home yesterday.

Very foggy/misty this morning, to the point where I was getting pretty damp. Good ride into the CBD.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:35 am

gretaboy wrote:Please forgive my rudeness of posting in this thread as I am not writing about a commute I have done..but..I am writing because this morning was the wifes first ever commute to work via bicycle.

Total of 30 k's and along a major highway, the New England. She achieved an avg of 28 k's I have been informed.

I was quite excited for her and was stupidly giving her tips on what to do and not do lol

She had perfect weather, bugger all wind, so it was ideal but only time will tell if she is hardcore enough to do it in the rain :)

ps. I am gearing myself up to complete that last abortive commute of mine. I have to complete it for my own inner head noise
Send regards and congrats to Mrs Gretaboy!
Good to hear from you!
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:43 am

I'm half way through the Rapha Rising climbing challenge. Getting to work is an achievement after all the climbing I'm doing :shock:

oh and yes, I'm hungry and tired (and no TW, I won't be taking a day off)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:58 am

jasonc wrote:
98octane wrote:
cancan64 wrote:Bom site..daily observations have wind speed in 30 min intervals... It's a good guide
Thanks. I know about BOM, but thought jasonc might have something more specific.
nope. i use BOM. recorded as part of my stats for when i go back and say "why the hell was I so fast/slow that day"
Glad I'm not the only one!
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

kb

Postby kb » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:38 pm

Summernight wrote: Last night I was the weird lady on the roadie with a backpack and a massive package hanging out the side/on top of my legs. It was probably the most unwieldy package I've carried home. When my leg went on the upstroke the package would hit my arm.
Haha. Reminds me of bringing home my foam roller strapped to me by heart rate monitor strap.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:02 pm

TailWind wrote:
DavidS wrote:Brr indeed. Still not quite cold enough for the full jacket. Rode in today in shorts, T shirt and the vest part of my jacket. Tomorrow I think the full jacket will finally get a run along with the fingered gloves.DS
Yesterday was chillier than this morning, definitely no shorts for me - longs, 2 top layers + shell and full-fingered gloves ...and 2 pairs of socks!
A lovely afternoon in Melbs made for an enthusiastic ride back home yesterday.

Very foggy/misty this morning, to the point where I was getting pretty damp. Good ride into the CBD.
Yesterday was chillier? Hmm, no wonder I was so bloody hot when I got to work this morning with a jacket, T shirt and shorts. I was actually amazed at how many bikes were out this morning considering it has now got cold, good to see.

Gretaboy, finish that commute already will ya, slacker ;) Kudos to your wife commuting after what you have been through.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

98octane

Postby 98octane » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:24 pm

kb wrote:
Summernight wrote: Last night I was the weird lady on the roadie with a backpack and a massive package hanging out the side/on top of my legs. It was probably the most unwieldy package I've carried home. When my leg went on the upstroke the package would hit my arm.
Haha. Reminds me of bringing home my foam roller strapped to me by heart rate monitor strap.
My best was carrying home a 2.4m long kayak paddle in two parts strapped to my backpack. Another day I carried home a large model cannon. :grin:

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:54 am

98octane wrote:
kb wrote:
My best was carrying home a 2.4m long kayak paddle in two parts strapped to my backpack. Another day I carried home a large model cannon. :grin:
Pictures or it didn't happen... :P I want to see a model cannon strapped to your back. Would it get the same reaction as someone riding with a machine gun or do you need to be wearing a tricorn for better effect? ie:

:mrgreen:

When stopped at the lights in this cold I'll put my fingers in my armpits which helps to quickly warm them up and take the edge off. That's what I was doing this morning when the pedestrian waiting to cross the road struck up a conversation with me about the cold. I think he was a fellow bike rider as he agreed with me when I said it was still better riding than driving in this temperature as the commutes were consistent and you didn't get stuck in bad traffic on a bike. It's good to be able to randomly chat to people and not be stuck in a metal box isolated from the outside world. :)

It has been good weather, even with the cold. And the water works on Albert St have moved closer to the CBD - they're now blocking off the separated bike lane beside Fitzroy Gardens. Although to the worker's credit they have left a space of about 1 metre for us bikes in what would be the left lane so it isn't too much of a hassle.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:56 am

The weather was great in Perth this morning for a commute. I enjoyed the weather even though it was overcast. I did make a bit of an error though in that I forgot to hang my cycling gear up to dry after some light drizzle riding home last night. Damp cycling gear and a light, cool breeze made for an unpleasant start to my ride. Once I warmed up though it was perfect! :-)
<removed by request>

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:52 pm

Another fantastic winter afternoon yesterday in Melbourne. Little wind (5km/h northerly), blue skies, 12 C or thereabouts. Just great.
5C start this morning, a mild northerly still hanging around, a bit of mist - another perfect commute. Melbourne, I love you right now! :mrgreen:

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:26 am

You're right Summernight, it might be cold but great riding conditions. What I like about winter is the lack of wind. That afternoon spring/summer sou-wester makes the ride home a bit of a slog for a few months a year.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:28 pm

Police had pulled a car over just before the intersection of Hoddle and Albert this morning. I'm not sure what for, but thank you to the police for placing their car half on the footpath (and to the motorist getting booked for doing the same) because it was much appreciated that you weren't blocking the bike lane. :)

I got to a block from work this morning just as the rain started spitting heavy drops. I thought I'd get caught in a deluge but it held off and doesn't seem to have eventuated into anything nasty.

Last night I took the extended route home (doing family stuff) and used La Trobe St and its concrete block bounded bike lane. As me and the cyclist in front of me were heading down the La Trobe St hill after Russell St (towards Victoria St) I saw a car blocking the bike lane just past the cement blocks who appeared to be backing up even further cutting off the exit from the concrete blocked section of the bike lane. I saw this prior to entering the concrete block section. The cyclist in front of me went into the separated bike lane, but I decided to take the vehicle lane instead and not get myself stuck in a potentially dangerous situation due to the motorist. Sure enough, as I'm passing she has pretty much reversed all the way up to just before the concrete blocks, blocking the exit to the separated bike lane and causing the cyclist who was in front of me to have to work out how to get out of the now blocked bike lane. Clearly the motorist thought she desperately need to park and that this was a suitable place to do so. :roll: A police car drove past at the same time, but illegally parked vehicles were not in his quota for the night.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:13 pm

Chilly, but clear and dry ride in this morning, uneventful.
Not quite sure what to make of this afternoon. Headwind (NE), 14C (warm), but rain on the way. Will opt for no spray jacket (too warm)...better to get soaked from above than from inside...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:30 pm

so I found a bloke on facebook to swap the seat post mast of my bike with (I needed a longer one, he needed a shorter one). did that today. unfortunately my guess at the seat post angle was wrong. result: painful commute home. gave up half way and adjusted the damn thing. it's better, not perfect.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:43 pm

Left work early to pick up new handbuilt wheel from the LBS. Got it home, cassette on, check, tyre, check, tube check, rim tape- argh (AT)#(AT)##$%, cannot find the rim tape I purchased for this wheel- and LBS now shut.

(AT)##(AT)##%$# Another day of waiting to try my new rear wheel- Hope Mono RS with H+son Archtype (24h).

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:56 pm

Was a pleasant enough cruise home this afternoon, just enjoying the pedalling, until the muppet driving the Blue ASX decided to enter the Moron Motorist competition
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

kb

How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby kb » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:03 am

98octane wrote:
kb wrote:
Was the traffic around you more cautious?

I had the most space given with helium balloons tied to the rear rack.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:23 am

legs smashed. had a sleep in then cruised in. as TW would say "happy friday"

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:51 am

It was a lovely ride in today weather wise. I wore all the cold stuff I'd been wearing the past few days... Slightly overdressed. Shouldn't have worn the thermal undershirt or the neck-warming buff.

Even the driver of the pasta van this morning who tailgated me and honked me on Elizabeth St between Collins and Bourke because I wouldn't move over into the non-bike lane door death zone didn't ruin the ride. He then subsequently went through the red light at Little Bourke St and then parked about 30metres up the road for a delivery. :roll:

My BB is still creaking. It feels loose, but I've now decided to run it into the ground until it fails as previous paranoid maintenance hasn't fixed the issue. The front brake also has an intermittent noise when braking which has been happening for a couple of rides so I need to clean the rims and pads to make sure nothing is wrong. That can be a weekend job. :)

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:25 am

Entirely pleasant ride in this morning.. reasonable pace the whole way (no idea what speed or anything though - daughter bit the top of my phone and cracked the screen a couple of weeks ago, meaning the area I need to be able to use to start a ride in either strava or garmin fit doesn't work.. need to get that fixed one of these days), and finally got to say a proper "g'day!" and introduce myself to our local celebrity - ColinOldnCranky.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:28 am

Summernight wrote:It was a lovely ride in today weather wise. I wore all the cold stuff I'd been wearing the past few days... Slightly overdressed. Shouldn't have worn the thermal undershirt or the neck-warming buff.

Even the driver of the pasta van this morning who tailgated me and honked me on Elizabeth St between Collins and Bourke because I wouldn't move over into the non-bike lane door death zone didn't ruin the ride. He then subsequently went through the red light at Little Bourke St and then parked about 30metres up the road for a delivery. :roll:
Funny how when you are feeling good, you are impervious to any carp, but when I am down, every little thing gets to me.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

westab

Postby westab » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:21 pm

The last few days at work and at home have been shockers - very busy at work trying to cover two jobs, most days and three on others. Home we have had grumpy sick kids. The rides to and from work have been OK but with no energy - this morning was not my lucky day it rained the whole way. It started when I got out from under the carport and stopped as soon as I walked my bike into the office.

AHHHHHHHHHH - still at least I got to ride with very little wind. I am looking forward to the ride home - I will ride till all the frustration has gone (boy the legs are going to hurt).
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

98octane

Postby 98octane » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:53 pm

kb wrote:
98octane wrote:
kb wrote: Haha. Reminds me of bringing home my foam roller strapped to me by heart rate monitor strap.
Was the traffic around you more cautious?

I had the most space given with helium balloons tied to the rear rack.
Lol, no, it was in a box.

98octane

Postby 98octane » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:57 pm

Had to drive to work today. 14km. Driving plus parking took longer than my usual riding time, cost lots more, was less scenic and I got no exercise. So, why does anyone drive to work? :?:

herzog

Postby herzog » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:02 pm

Friday legs.

Having a well earned beer and pizza, and a 2 day break from the bike!