what trike headlight (accessory) mount do you use?

gudism

what trike headlight (accessory) mount do you use?

Postby gudism » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:38 pm

Hi all

wondering what sort of headlight (and or accessory) mount do you guys use you recumbent trikes? In particular, the ones that go on the derailleur post.
and more importantly, could you purchase it within Australia?

I am aware of the various types, like terracycle
http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/rea ... 1165594587" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
this one
http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/rea ... 1359757358" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and the ICE mount (presumable this would bolt on to any derailleur post
http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/rea ... 1216759988" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and the Minoura range
http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/rea ... 1371735745" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
though some of these are getting up there in price especially when you add exchange rates etc and preference would be to buy in Australia to receive it quicker etc.

just wanted to know peoples experiences etc.

cheers

Craig

rdp_au

Re: what trike headlight (accessory) mount do you use?

Postby rdp_au » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:59 pm

I use the Terracycle mount. Works well enough. Note, you can buy these directly from Terracycle https://www.t-cycle.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could also use the OAB (One Arm Bandit) from Bacchetta. These are available in Oz, via Flying Furniture http://www.flyingfurniture.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bartek

Postby Bartek » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:41 pm

Depending on your 'engineering" skills you could use the Topeak BarXtender

http://topeak.com/products/Xtras/BarXtender" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:00 pm

rdp_au wrote:I use the Terracycle mount. Works well enough. Note, you can buy these directly from Terracycle https://www.t-cycle.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Postage is as much if not more than the mount itself from Terracycle. Angletech Cycles charges a more "reasonable" ~ US$12.00.
You could also use the OAB (One Arm Bandit) from Bacchetta. These are available in Oz, via Flying Furniture http://www.flyingfurniture.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Are they actually back in business? I have a One Arm Bandit but got it from Bacchetta when they where still charging US$6.00 postage. They have now got the Terracycle disease.

Andrew

OldBloke

Postby OldBloke » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:41 pm

I have the light bracket from Performer on our trikes. Holds two lights easily & holds steady. No idea of price unfortunately. http://www.performer.com.tw/new/product ... cts_id=361" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OB

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:47 pm

I need me one of them... Should have ordered one with my Toscana! I'll check with Alex from NESS how much they are. $50 for the OAB is daylight robbery...

gudism

Postby gudism » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:16 pm

OldBloke wrote:I have the light bracket from Performer on our trikes. Holds two lights easily & holds steady. No idea of price unfortunately. http://www.performer.com.tw/new/product ... cts_id=361" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OB
I didnt think to look on the Performer site. I ride a Performer F.
Any idea where to buy one of these?

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:18 pm

gudism wrote:
OldBloke wrote:I have the light bracket from Performer on our trikes. Holds two lights easily & holds steady. No idea of price unfortunately. http://www.performer.com.tw/new/product ... cts_id=361" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OB
nessbike@grapevine.com.au

gudism

Postby gudism » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:22 pm

lobstermash wrote:I need me one of them... Should have ordered one with my Toscana! I'll check with Alex from NESS how much they are. $50 for the OAB is daylight robbery...
Yeah it is just a touch on the pricey side......same as the terracycle one, plus postage.

I did find another nice looking Minoura one on amazon.com for only $13 US (plus postage).

Was just in the garage sitting on the trike now and I'm wondering if the bar on these things is too wide, I imagine there is a risk of hitting it with you foot whilst pedalling?

gudism

Postby gudism » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:45 pm

lobstermash wrote:
gudism wrote:
OB
nessbike@grapevine.com.au
Cheers thanks!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:49 pm

gudism wrote:I did find another nice looking Minoura one on amazon.com for only $13 US (plus postage).
Was it like this?

Min

Andrew

gudism

Postby gudism » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:01 pm

Aushiker wrote:
gudism wrote:I did find another nice looking Minoura one on amazon.com for only $13 US (plus postage).
Was it like this?

Min

Andrew
no this one

http://www.amazon.com/Minoura-CS-500-He ... PX8YWDRB87" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I assume it would work much the same, though perhaps it may be too small to fit on the derailleur post....

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:07 pm

gudism wrote:
no this one

http://www.amazon.com/Minoura-CS-500-He ... PX8YWDRB87" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I assume it would work much the same, though perhaps it may be too small to fit on the derailleur post....
That is a head-set spacer mount. Not sure it would work on a derailleur post.

Oh I just looked at postage on smaller clamp ex Amazon ... $35.50 US ... ouch

Andrew

OldBloke

Postby OldBloke » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:11 pm

gudism wrote:
Email them using the contact form on their website, they are pretty good at getting back to you.

We bought two Trike-Fs for my wife and me.

OB

gudism

Postby gudism » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:16 pm

Aushiker wrote:
That is a head-set spacer mount. Not sure it would work on a derailleur post.

Oh I just looked at postage on smaller clamp ex Amazon ... $35.50 US ... ouch

Andrew
Yeah I've been thinking the same, looking more at it now. Some of the cheap crappy plastic headset mounts I've seen arent spacers but clamps, but I didnt realise this one was a headset spacer till now.

Yeah the postage from the US is the killer in all of these for me. Just hard to justify but the reality of trike accessories.

gudism

Postby gudism » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:34 pm

OldBloke wrote:
Email them using the contact form on their website, they are pretty good at getting back to you.

We bought two Trike-Fs for my wife and me.

OB
Thanks OB. Lobstermash gave me Alex's email, so I shot him an email (to which he replied in 5 mins!) And they are worth $35 including postage.

Btw, what is their website? I tried but couldn't find one?

OldBloke

Postby OldBloke » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:52 pm

gudism wrote: Btw, what is their website? I tried but couldn't find one?
Try http://www.performer.com.tw/new/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Xenon

Postby Xenon » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:37 pm

Luckily for me, my Trident Stowaway came with light mounts next to each wheel, but I've always wondered with those central mounts do you get distracted by the shadow of your feet passing the lights?

OldBloke

Postby OldBloke » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:41 pm

gudism

Apologies that this is OT but how long have you had your Trike-F and how is it going?

I discovered today that tyre wear on my front tyres had happened much more quickly than I realised. I'm down to canvas in a few spots after only 500 km in three months. When I rechecked the wheel alignment today it had changed from 2mm toe-in to 20 mm toe-in. None of the steering bolts or nuts were loose so I suspect that the frame has flexed into a new position over time. When I originally assembled the trike I had to set the wheel alignment while I was sitting in it because the toe-in would change by about 10 mm when my weight (85 kg) was added. I'm a bit worried now that the forward swept cruciform may not be strong enough.

What has your experience with your Trike-F been? Any thoughts on this issue?

OB

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:05 am

I can see why there's the flex in your trike's frame, only the rear forks are chromoly and the rest cheap steel. For your weight I'd think that the frame should be okay but know that a local trike manufacturer started out with a similar construction and had to change to all CrMo after the crossmembers started to come back cracked (the crossmember is the piece with wheels attached at either end). So I'd check welds in that area as part of your routine before you go for a ride.

As to the wear spots I'd also check that the wheels are true and round plus that the tyres are seating properly. You'd expect with scrubbing that the wear wouldn't be spotty? On a trike you have to deal with the camber of the road that you would be oblivious to on a DF, this also means more wear on the outer tyre and why trikers rotate tyres; but I don't think 500km would call for this. I vote for toe-in issues too.

Back to the original post: My Greenspeed had a small metal tag welded onto the bottom bracket so that I could bolt a headlight to. I've also used the Gino Light Mount bolted to the same. This is basically a alu rod drilled or reamed nearly through and a hole for a bolt drilled inside the centre, easy enough to make rather than pay US$24.
And I've made my own mudguard mounts to whuch I welded handlebar-diameter tubes at the top for light mounts. And lastly, on the Mirrcycle mirror mounts the arms are sturdy enough for a small light, just needs a little padding up with rubber strip.

OldBloke

Postby OldBloke » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:49 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:I can see why there's the flex in your trike's frame, only the rear forks are chromoly and the rest cheap steel. For your weight I'd think that the frame should be okay but know that a local trike manufacturer started out with a similar construction and had to change to all CrMo after the crossmembers started to come back cracked (the crossmember is the piece with wheels attached at either end). So I'd check welds in that area as part of your routine before you go for a ride.

As to the wear spots I'd also check that the wheels are true and round plus that the tyres are seating properly. You'd expect with scrubbing that the wear wouldn't be spotty? On a trike you have to deal with the camber of the road that you would be oblivious to on a DF, this also means more wear on the outer tyre and why trikers rotate tyres; but I don't think 500km would call for this. I vote for toe-in issues too.
The Trike-F is aluminium. When I rechecked the wheel alignment yesterday I noticed that the clamps that connect the tie-rod ends to the handle-bar had moved. I suspect that rough tracks and bumps had gradually worked them out of position. I'll have to keep an eye on them and keep them properly clamped down.

So, I think the scrubbing is just down to going out of alignment (too much toe-in). Thinking about it a bit more the spotty wear is probably from locking up one wheel under braking while cornering. I'll have to improve my technique :-).

OB

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:49 am

OldBloke wrote:The Trike-F is aluminium. ...
Thinking about it a bit more the spotty wear is probably from locking up one wheel under braking while cornering. I'll have to improve my technique.
My bad. I've really got to stay away from those choc-coated coffee beans.
Have fun cornering, getting a wheel up isn't necessarily a bad thing.

gudism

Postby gudism » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:14 pm

OldBloke wrote:gudism

Apologies that this is OT but how long have you had your Trike-F and how is it going?

I discovered today that tyre wear on my front tyres had happened much more quickly than I realised. I'm down to canvas in a few spots after only 500 km in three months. When I rechecked the wheel alignment today it had changed from 2mm toe-in to 20 mm toe-in. None of the steering bolts or nuts were loose so I suspect that the frame has flexed into a new position over time. When I originally assembled the trike I had to set the wheel alignment while I was sitting in it because the toe-in would change by about 10 mm when my weight (85 kg) was added. I'm a bit worried now that the forward swept cruciform may not be strong enough.

What has your experience with your Trike-F been? Any thoughts on this issue?

OB
Firstly, sorry for the length of time for my reply.....I have had the end of semester at uni, surgery, and nursing practicum.....so time has not been my strongest attribute of late (though I've still been riding as the trike is our 2nd car).

I've had the trike F since about February but have only logged about 240kms, however I havent noticed the issues you speak of, and I'm about 105kg.

As for how my trike is going? Well its my only trike I've had so I have nothing to compare against, but so far I've been happy. Except for the way the seat connects to the main frame at the bottom bracket........I cant get this to be tight enough to not have a bit of movement in the seat on turning etc, which is incredibly annoying and this movement over time will undoubtedly eventually cause something to break.

Have you had this issue.? I am tempted to do some mods to get it to work.

OldBloke

Postby OldBloke » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:04 pm

The problem I had with toe-in changing happened because the clamps that connect the tie-rod ends to the handle bars had moved. I didn't realise it at first till I put the trike up on a stand and had a very close look. The LH clamp has been pushed up 10-15deg and the RH clamp down by nearly the same amount. The result being the change in toe-in. I have repositioned the clamps and made sure they were properly tightened. I will keep a closer eye on them in future.

The tie-rods have right hand threads on both ends instead of one right hand and one left hand threaded. I'm still trying to convince Performer that they have been manufactured incorrectly :-).

We initially had mesh seats on our trikes but they are not easy to take off and on when folding the trikes so I ordered FRP seats in their place. I find that the FRP seats creak if all the bolts and the quick release aren't done up really tight. I didn't ride with the mesh seat very long but I don't remember it moving. I might put it back on one day now that I'm more confident on the trike and see if I get any movement in it.

Arakasy

Postby Arakasy » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:09 pm

I just strapped my light to the underside of the main bar... Just back from the front derailer... It shines under the bike and lights up the path perfectly :)
(Performer Trike E and X)

As to the seat issue with the F... Is that the solid seat or mesh ?... I found the two bolts that hold the seat bottom to the frame eventually tighten up and stay that way, just keep checking it before you go riding... Great to see a few performers around :)

I'm interested in finding a head rest to fit the mesh seat... I don't like the feel of the hard seat... But love the head rest and have a mesh seat handy... Just need a good third party headrest to put on it.
Don't Panic
And I don't know
Ride casual... Not to casual
They might snap out it's comfortable !!