Carbon frame on stationary trainer

Cmm

Carbon frame on stationary trainer

Postby Cmm » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:05 am

Hi all I am looking at getting a lemond revolution trainer and am wondering if there is any risk of damage to a carbon frame due to being fixed in place as apposed to a wheel on the road that can move around with force applied.

Any advice on the subject would be appreciated sick of not riding!

you cannot be sirrus

Re: Carbon frame on stationary trainer

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:02 pm

I don't have a Lemond but I use my CF roadie on the trainer 2-3 times a week. Only issue I have is trying to do sprint efforts on the trainer causing the skewer to come loose so I no longer do those on the trainer.

nescius

Postby nescius » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:29 pm

I've used my carbon framed roadie on my KK Road Machine for years and never had a problem. Generally I don't do much sprint work on the trainer though, and I don't have a massive amount of power either. I don't know of anyone who has broken a frame on a trainer.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:52 pm

Every pro rider puts their high end bike on a trainer. I know they don't pay for their bikes, but I don't think they would risk their race bikes if it was going to damage them.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:35 pm

I destroyed a carbon frame on a trainer... so it can happen but is pretty rare. Ripped the drop-out out of the rear triangle. I ride rollers now :mrgreen: .
But to be honest I wouldn't worry too much.

Cmm

Postby Cmm » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:47 pm

Thanks for feed back i wouldn't be planing on many true sprint efforts leave those for the road!

X-ray

Postby X-ray » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:41 pm

Just be aware that riding on the trainer may void the warranty on the frame. Some manufactures have this policy for their carbon bikes.

yehuda

Postby yehuda » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:00 am

I ride a Scott addict on a Lemond. It has carbon dropouts as well.
No problem at all, been using it for a year.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:28 pm

I would have concerns with the newer trainers which u can generate a lot of watts against, ie the wahoo kickr. Some of the training sessions and videos I ride on it have me in 39x25 and out of the saddle for lengthy periods of time (5 to 60mins)... I have therefore made an alloy framed training bike for this purpose. IMHO it would only be a matter of time before I damaged a rear dropout, or have it pull out of the QR on the trainer.

A friend of mine had their carbon roady pull out of a lemond while out of the saddle, which not only snapped the rear triangle, but caused major damage to the rider as well.

I guess this is why the QR should be checked each time for tightness before use, but a carbon frame can be pulled out of a relatively tight QR if u put enough distractive force thru it...

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:23 pm

nescius wrote:I've used my carbon framed roadie on my KK Road Machine for years and never had a problem. Generally I don't do much sprint work on the trainer though, and I don't have a massive amount of power either. I don't know of anyone who has broken a frame on a trainer.
+1. Almost exactly the same situation. I ride the trainer for cardio, so I'm not thrashing it about. And why do I have a carbon frame on the trainer? Because my LBS had it left over from an insurance claim - in store damage. :)
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:39 pm

ValleyForge wrote:
nescius wrote:I've used my carbon framed roadie on my KK Road Machine for years and never had a problem. Generally I don't do much sprint work on the trainer though, and I don't have a massive amount of power either. I don't know of anyone who has broken a frame on a trainer.
+1. Almost exactly the same situation. I ride the trainer for cardio, so I'm not thrashing it about. And why do I have a carbon frame on the trainer? Because my LBS had it left over from an insurance claim - in store damage. :)
SCORE! [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Rex

Postby Rex » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:08 pm

I recently set up a video camera behind myself on the trainer (Kurt Kinetic RM) and the Kurt Kinetic was flexing and moving about much more than the rear of my carbon Scott CR1 !

zill

Postby zill » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:57 pm

I've just started using a carbon bike on the KK rock and roll and it seems fine. But how often would the bike need servicing if just using on the trainer?

neobikes

Postby neobikes » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:58 am

always use the skewer the trainer comes with rather than your normal road skewer on your wheels. I like the BKOOL because of its vale for money compared to the more $$$ trainers. It does not fix like conventional trainers as it has a swinging arm and your body weight pushes bike down on roller/resistor. The online connectivity is a lot of fun to.
http://neobikes.com.au/bkool/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:14 pm

Should be no dramas on trainer I used my a lot and I mean a lot for about 18 months barely rode outside during that period but was on bike about 4 times a week for varying lengths and intensities.

I do have the KK Rock n Roll though which moves nicely not locking the frame in - I would also recommend as above to use the skewer that comes with the trainer.

@zill - you won't need to service very often if purely on the trainer things I used to watch were rear tire wearing, bit of gear tuning that is about it, chain stays nice and clean as does the rest of the bike.

Steve
Roadie:Merida Scultura Team 2017 Lintaman shoes mid-foot SpeedPlays
MTB:TWE 29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:03 pm

You're more lkely to break an alloy frame than carbon due to extended high-power sessions.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.