New bike. Giant TCR C1 or SUB Zero Pro?

purplegolden

New bike. Giant TCR C1 or SUB Zero Pro?

Postby purplegolden » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:10 am

Hello!

For my first post I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on buying a new bike? I currently have a Giant OCR 2 (2003 model) and want an upgrade. I am looking at something with a carbon fibre frame - because I like the idea that it absorbs more shock as some of the tracks I cycle on are a tad bit bumpy.

But what I REALLY wanted to know if it is worth getting a better gear set? The sub has Shimano 105 and the TRC C1 has the Ultegra. The SUB by the way is a women's specific bike made by Avanti.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:34 am

Getting the bike that fits your body is much more important than the gear it is running and you seem to be compairing bikes that will fit your body differently.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
training log
ImageImageImage
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

purplegolden

Postby purplegolden » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:42 am

Thanks for the tip. I will of course be taking both for a ride - there is supposed to be a women's specific version of the TCR, but I've been told that it is it isn't very different from the unisex version.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:23 pm

R u male or female?

Do you have a standard body, if not what is different? eg long arms etc etc.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
training log
ImageImageImage

purplegolden

Postby purplegolden » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:18 pm

Female. I have an OCR2 in the small. Tried the SUBs today in a M and an S and am now confused. Anything I should be looking for in particular? The S felt a bit too small and the M a bit too big.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:55 pm

Females when compared with a male of the same height typically have longer legs, wider seat bones, shorter bodys, shorter arms, narrower shoulders and smaller hands.

The bike companies have recognised this and have developed bikes that have a number of differences to the male bikes, such as shorter top tube, wider seat, narrower handlebars, shorter reach to the brakes.

Having said this, some females prefer the male bikes, changing parts as applicable, usually the seat and a shorter head.

Is the medium Felt a male frame? If so can you try a female medium frame, it should have a shorter top tube.

How tall r u ?

Burn plenty of Glycogen
training log
ImageImageImage

purplegolden

Postby purplegolden » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:05 pm

Not very tall at all - 5'4". Is there some way of determining what would be the ideal size bike given certain measurements?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:26 pm

Theres a web site somewhere that you enter your measurements and it works out what size frame you need. Can't remember where it is. Sogood or Matagi will post a link.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
training log
ImageImageImage

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:34 pm

Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

purplegolden

Postby purplegolden » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:39 am

Thanks Sogood

OK, so what do all the figures mean? Do they match up to specs that are provided with the bikes? And while I am at it, is it a better idea to get a professional fitting?

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:03 pm

purplegolden wrote: ... OK, so what do all the figures mean? ... is it a better idea to get a professional fitting?
In a word, yes!

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:09 pm

Have you narrowed it down to these two bikes or are you still open to suggestion? The reason I ask is that I have recently had a "fit" at a shop - very experienced guy - and would recommend them. They don't sell these bikes though so there is a danger you may fall in love with something in the shop :D I know what it is like setting my sights on a particular bike, then seeing the love of my life in a store - it completely threw me and my budget but I went with my heart (and in hindsight my brain as it fitted me perfectly) :wink:

Let me know if you would like me to pm you the details.

Moo...

purplegolden

Postby purplegolden » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:42 pm

Hi Moo

no, I've test driven the SUBs and liked them a lot, but I am not fond of the colours - why do people think that ALL women like pink!!!! So, still browsing and open to persuasion!

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:25 am

OK...but don't say I didn't warn you!! The store is Elite Racing Cycles - they are mainly a bianchi dealer but sell a few other brands. I don't know what stock is like or prices (but Bianchis tend to be expensive). I wasn't looking there when I bought my bike so can't comment.

Don't be fooled by the name - the guys there are so keen and helpful regardless of your ability. Have a chat with them - even if their stock didn't suit, I'm sure that they would give you some great advice as they have given me. As an example, they don't sell Scott's, but when I mentioned what I rode, they knew the model, the componentry etc and took it for a spin when I had it serviced, then gave some great comments on the ride quality and feel. I reckon they just love bikes!!

They are located in Northbridge, between Aberdeen and Newcastle streets. They have a website with location details.

Hope it helps.

Moo...

purplegolden

Postby purplegolden » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:56 am

Hi Moo

thanks for that. By sheer coincidence I had another friend recommend them to me. His wife had her bike custom made for her by them. So with two recommendations, I will have to go and check them out!

Thanks