You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

foo on patrol

Re: You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:32 pm

Well done on the tandem, Landy. 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:48 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Well done on the tandem, Landy. 8)

Foo
+1, it looks great!
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Typhoon Ken

Postby Typhoon Ken » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:02 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:Well done on the tandem, Landy. 8)

Foo
+1, it looks great!
+2 great job

koen

Postby koen » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:15 pm

+1 looks great.
Just on cranks, someone with any engineering ability that you display can save effort by just putting the timing chain down the right hand side and using standard cranks. Its actually less load on the rear bb too. I've never had problems that way. Its funny that tandems went that way as I remember old timers breaking cotter pins because of all the load on the left side.

landyacht

Postby landyacht » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:01 pm

arghhhhh, massive faux pas
i just remembered its supposed to be drive side pics.
brilliant day today , did marshalling for the kids in a 20km handicap,5 kids between10 and 15 and we had a bunch sprint for the finish , come home brilliant sunshine and no wind , happily cutting and welding in the shed interspersed with side trips to bunnies and a quick 10 km tandem through admiring traffic
chainring has plastic retainer as the kids tend to spit the chain all the time. smallest gear is locked out for racing and i didnt bother with a front derailleur as the bigger ring would have been locked out .roll out in high gear is only 5cm inside his limit :D
proper side around. thems original steel biopace on the final chainring, and you can feel it. rest of chainrings are ally.
its actually a great bike to ride solo, though you do feel like the sad old lonely rider, after 20km on the bike around town , a 40km race next day is a doddle.
those big wedges under the front seatpost are where we had a bit of flexing.
if I was building again I would make up a single long tube in a larger diameter, say a MTB size and run it straight through

landyacht

Postby landyacht » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:05 pm

koen wrote:+1 looks great.
Just on cranks, someone with any engineering ability that you display can save effort by just putting the timing chain down the right hand side and using standard cranks. Its actually less load on the rear bb too. I've never had problems that way. Its funny that tandems went that way as I remember old timers breaking cotter pins because of all the load on the left side.
hence my comment "read sheldon brown on tandem drives BEFORE you build" :oops:
I wanted to maintain as many gears as possible, and sheldon simply added a 3rd chainring to a 2 ring crank ,with a spacer to keep it clear of the 2 interchangeable rings
doh!!!!!!
i certainly did it the hard way

BradL

Postby BradL » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:49 am

Picked up a cheap mystery bike today. Only markings are a couple of North Adelaide Cycles stickers. 6 speed 105 drivetrain, and Suntour spirit brakes/levers. Mavic Open 4 Cd Rims with hubs labelled "Master"??. Spin pretty nicely.

Overall the bike comes in at 11kg so no lightweight, but looks well made and in good nick. A bit smaller than what I usually ride frame wise, so I'll see tomorrow if a 57ish cm frame with a maxed out seat post can accommodate me at 6'2".

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:51 am

You must have incredibly long legs, i'm 6'2 and ride 56cm frames with less seatpost than that.

BradL

Postby BradL » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:46 am

Yeah pretty much all arms and legs with a small area for internal organs and brain. I've mostly ridden 58 - 60cm frames by chance more than by design. Took it for a spin this morning and it felt good. See how it goes on a longer ride after a decent clean up.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:15 pm

I'll keep my bike sizing comments to myself :lol:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:06 pm

:D

landyacht

Postby landyacht » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:41 pm

the frame looks to be a typical kuwahara frame like a repco. possible rebuilt , but rather nicely I might add

singlespeedscott

You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:13 pm

My pimped out Diamondback Expert TG after it's shake down ride in preparation for the Noosa Strada Bianchi this weekend.

Drivetrain is Campagnolo Victory with some 7 speed Shimano 600 hubs laced to Mavic MA rims. Brakes are record. A bit overgeared for Noosa's hills with the smallest ratio being a 41 x 26, that's all I can get the derailleur to climb up due to the dropout design.

I don't rate the oversized Crmo frame, it's to stiff for general riding. However being that it's Diamondback, one of my dream MTB's back in the early 90's, I thought it would be appropriate for the dirt roads at Noosa :)
Last edited by singlespeedscott on Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:40 pm

41-26, ah what luxury that would be! :) 40-24 for me, i'm wearing SPD shoes in anticipation of a fair bit of walking :) .

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:37 pm

Woohoo. Happy days. I found a 40 tooth 116bcd Campagnolo chainring in the spare parts pile. It's only one tooth less but it's got to help :P

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:48 pm

A smaller diameter wheel makes for a shorter gear right? So dropping 5 pound from the tyres could help too :lol: . "Marginal gains" worked for Team Sky!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:46 am

I should have come up for this event with my 44-54t to 13-18t Rapallo, soft you blokes soft. :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:32 am

Not even Merckx could get up Sankeys Rd with a gear like that! (and yes that is a challenge to you for next year :twisted: ).

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:15 am

I may just take you up on that challenge Idry. :shock: I will see how I am going. :)

Foo
Goal 6000km

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:24 pm

landyacht wrote:arghhhhh, massive faux pas
brilliant day today , did marshalling for the kids in a 20km handicap,5 kids between10 and 15 and we had a bunch sprint for the finish , come home brilliant sunshine and no wind , happily cutting and welding in the shed interspersed with side trips to bunnies and a quick 10 km tandem through admiring traffic
chainring has plastic retainer as the kids tend to spit the chain all the time. smallest gear is locked out for racing and i didnt bother with a front derailleur as the bigger ring would have been locked out .roll out in high gear is only 5cm inside his limit :D
proper side around. thems original steel biopace on the final chainring, and you can feel it. rest of chainrings are ally.
its actually a great bike to ride solo, though you do feel like the sad old lonely rider, after 20km on the bike around town , a 40km race next day is a doddle.
if I was building again I would make up a single long tube in a larger diameter, say a MTB size and run it straight through
Great work landyacht!

Single side drive works well, but what you have looks much more traditional. I like that you have gone to the effort of lengthening the back end to fit full sized stokers.

I remain a fan of Ghost chainrings as tensioners, they work better, are quieter, don't come out of adjustment and are just eye-catching. You can put a spiral paint job on them and really freak people out. I notice that your cranks are not exactly in phase. I know that it's not always possible and where it isn't, the usual practice is to put the captains crank further forward. You'll appreciate having the brifters when they are fitted, you tend to make a lot more gear changes on a tandem.

No reason to feel sad and lonely riding a tandem by yourself. Nearly everyone has travelled using vehicles with spare seats at some stage. Besides you have the option to choose to pick up hitchhikers or not.

With skills like that you should consider getting the lugs and just building a dedicated tandem from scratch with eccentric, tandem forks etc.

Cheers,

Cameron

bog1953

Postby bog1953 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:37 pm

It's been a while since my last posting. Here's my Eddy Merckx, Campy seat post, FD, RD, shifters, cranks, hubs, head set, and brakes. Cinelli bars with a Cinelli Eddy Merckx panto stem, and a Eddy Merckx panto chain ring. Top tube 55.5 cm.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:54 pm

^^ Nice. 8) I have a mate that has a Team issue Merckx.

Foo
Goal 6000km

landyacht

Postby landyacht » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:40 pm

ironhanglider wrote:
landyacht wrote:arghhhhh, massive faux pas
Great work landyacht!

Single side drive works well, but what you have looks much more traditional. I like that you have gone to the effort of lengthening the back end to fit full sized stokers.

I remain a fan of Ghost chainrings as tensioners, they work better, are quieter, don't come out of adjustment and are just eye-catching. You can put a spiral paint job on them and really freak people out. I notice that your cranks are not exactly in phase. I know that it's not always possible and where it isn't, the usual practice is to put the captains crank further forward. You'll appreciate having the brifters when they are fitted, you tend to make a lot more gear changes on a tandem.

No reason to feel sad and lonely riding a tandem by yourself. Nearly everyone has travelled using vehicles with spare seats at some stage. Besides you have the option to choose to pick up hitchhikers or not.

With skills like that you should consider getting the lugs and just building a dedicated tandem from scratch with eccentric, tandem forks etc.

Cheers,

Cameron
all this bike building is a learning curve. I had a session of trying out the pedal sync slightly forward and slightly back , and have now settled on them being in sync. riding just feels wrong out of sync.
just what is a ghost chainring?
cant see me building another tandem. ive got one now , and have had an offer of another mixte tandem with 5 speed sturmey.
besides the new replica is well on the way

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:20 pm

landyacht wrote: just what is a ghost chainring?
Here you go...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

bog1953

Postby bog1953 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:06 pm

About 5yrs ago my son showed me an ebay listing 3 days after it ended, which p..ed me off. It was an Eddy Merckx that had been presented to a retiring Merckx frame builder. The bike was the eleventh bike built, was used as a display for customers, and as such had never been ridden. It was pristine and came with documentation, sold for $2300.00, which I think was a true bargain. I still talk to my son occasionally.