Giant Defy Advanced 1 - time to buy?

InTheWoods

Giant Defy Advanced 1 - time to buy?

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:49 pm

Ok so the bug bit me (stupid edge 500 and strava!!) and I want a road bike for weekends and extended commute rides, normally I don't do more than about 70km in a ride but there will be occasional centuries. I get bored if its longer than that :) At the moment I just have a flat bar Giant Cross City 1, which I would continue to use for normal commutes or whenever there are any clouds in the sky ;) The roads I tend to ride on are typically pretty crap. 72kg rider.

I have seen the defy advanced 1 on sale at a few places for $2399 down from RRP $2999. Is that a good buy? Am I going to save a lot more by waiting till about August when clearances start or should I pull the trigger now? It would be better if I could get a cheaper 2012 advanced 2 on clearance (it is more like the 2013 advanced 1 as they both have ultegra - the 2013 adv 2 is 105) but can't find any in my size.

I was also considering a cell victor but that is a more aggressive geometry and I presume the defy's frame will be better (maybe not $400 better though...).

There's also the question of whether its really worth paying the $400 extra for the adv1 over the adv2 (only difference is 105->ultegra). My heart says yes, head says no, my head is weak. I haven't seen them in the flesh yet but the adv1 colour scheme is nicer than the adv2 :rolleyes:

I could also cut costs by going the defy composite range instead, but the advice I see a lot of on here is frame > wheels > groupset, so I should probably at least obey the first of these...

Any thoughts?

jemima

Re: Giant Defy Advanced 1 - time to buy?

Postby jemima » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:18 am

I hear you!

Still haven't made my own decision yet after a long search.

I think Giant has its Factory Backed Sale (whatever that means) around March/April.
I've seen a medium Composite 2012 for $1850 (less for cash) in Brisbane recently.
The 2013 Advanced 2's can be had for $2k at the moment.

Have you ridden the Defy Advanced or Composite yet?
If you end up being set on this bike (either 1 or 2, 2012 or 2013), keep in mind that the steerer on the Advanced, is 1 1/4".
From what I understand, there are about 3 other brands -at the moment- which make 1 1/4" stems of different degrees, if the 8 degree Giant stem requires some tweaking to adjust your height at the bars. Of course, you will have some spacer height to play with, using the standard Giant setup.

The Defy Composite has a 1 1/8" steerer (alloy?), so there are more than enough other degree stems out there to choose from, if you wish to swap out the Giant stem.
(This is why I'm also considering the Composite, as I would need a taller bar height than the Advanced's to suit my geometry).

I'd also suggest you have a look at the 2013 Merida Ride Carbon range, as they have a slightly higher stack / shorter reach, across the range, than the Giant.
(If that type of geo is what you require). With the Merida having a slightly steeper seat tube, and shorter chainstay length, than the Giant.

Lastly, the Norco Valence Carbon range has an almost identical geometry to the Advanced/Composite; within a couple of mm's here and there.
The head tube is half a degree slacker than the Giant, if toe overlap is an issue to you.
Of course, the Norco frame will be somewhat lower spec than the Giant, and it has a mix of components.
(I like the look of the 3 model).

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:58 am

The dollar is strong now so bikes are cheap.
I'm a financial numpty though. It might still be strong in August for all I know. It's a good excuse to buy one now at least.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

thejester

Postby thejester » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:14 pm

2013 Advanced frame is awesome.
2013 105 is pretty sweet, but ultegra is always sweeter.
When upgraditis sets in its cheaper to upgrade from 105 to ultegra than ultegra to Dura :twisted:
Trek Madone 3.1
Giant CRX4 - Black Ghost
Shogun Trailbreaker3
I need a dualie

burgesyd

Postby burgesyd » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:47 am

That seems like a good price to me. I bought a Defy Advanced 1 a couple of weeks back. Coming from a 15 yo Cannondale alloy frame it is a completely different ride. Went out and done a 60k bunch ride without any computer - couldn't believe that we had completed that distance when I was told how far we had gone. Very comfortable ride. I have since had a few small adjustments made for the fit and it now feels better and my position is more comfortable.

I was originally sized for a M/L frame. Ride both M and a M/L and the M frame was definitely a better fit for me.

All up I'm very happy with the bike - just need to get the funds for a Garmin, new pedals and shoes.

Jet01

Postby Jet01 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:54 pm

I know I'm digging up an old thread however.

This time of year was the best time to buy a giant defy advanced 1 2014. 3200 -> 2500!

I bought a trek crossrip limited at Easter. 105 gear, disc brakes, 32mm tyres. Probably weighs about 10-11kgs.

Did about 500km and realised that I would spend most of my time on the road and thought I'd treat myself to a new carbon bike to help me keep up with some of my mates.

I did a 65km ride last weekend on the crossrip and paid for it for a couple of days afterwards.

First ride on the defy was 30kms before work. Made a few Pb's on my usual loop. Made a few adjustments to the handlebar angle and seat position and I was away. Did 85kms today with 3 others that are training for races.
First impressions are BLOODY RIPPER BIKE.

Pros: very comfy saddle, feels like a lounge chair.
Ultegra gear. Cannot believe the difference. I was quite happy with 105 and initially was looking at getting the defy adv 2 but when I found the ultegra bargain for 250 more I couldn't say no. Very glad I did. For the other newbies out there, ultegra shifts into gear faster which is what you'll notice the most.
Noticeable difference in climbs, being a newbie, I'll put this down to less weight and maybe a bit stiffer frame.
Great position for someone like me who has had 2 back operations.
Today we rode from rouse hill to Penrith and back. There were some stretches of pretty average road. Very surprised that I didn't get numb hands.

Cons: not too keep on the paint job, I would have preferred a matte black or charcoal option.
For now, that's all I can think of right now.