Moron Motorists #3

Scott_C

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Scott_C » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:59 pm

herzog wrote:Wow.
During my Saturday bunch ride a couple of weeks ago I anticipated that we were going to have the same thing happen when a driver pulled out to overtake at the back of the group on the approach to a roundabout but without sufficient time to make the overtake before the front of the group reached the roundabout but instead of going around the roundabout on the wrong side they just bullied their way into the middle of the bunch.

I gave her some choice words and considered depriving her of her left wing mirror but opted not to as the club requests that we don't engage/escalate with MM's.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:39 pm

Scott_C wrote:
During my Saturday bunch ride a couple of weeks ago I anticipated that we were going to have the same thing happen when a driver pulled out to overtake at the back of the group on the approach to a roundabout but without sufficient time to make the overtake before the front of the group reached the roundabout but instead of going around the roundabout on the wrong side they just bullied their way into the middle of the bunch.

I gave her some choice words and considered depriving her of her left wing mirror but opted not to as the club requests that we don't engage/escalate with MM's.
Don't do damage, open the back left door instead.

Cheers,

Cameron

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:44 pm

ironhanglider wrote:Don't do damage, open the back left door instead.
:D

Just check no kids in the back.

iaintas

Postby iaintas » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:37 am

Got to love a late indicator combined with a SMIDSY.. (swearing included)

herzog

Postby herzog » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:12 am

There's varying levels of severity Oxford. Some videos have enough visual interest to post and discuss here, but don't warrant a police report.

As they say, pick your battles. If we all report the tiniest infractions to the police it means the serious ones don't get the attention they deserve. Boy who cried wolf scenario.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:48 am

Agree with Herzog. Personally I will post stupid stuff, but only report really serious/dangerous stuff. I am wary of using police time for minor matters. An online dob in a driver system might be useful, but suspect it would be open to abuse.

Fortunately I haven't seen the need to report anything yet. I'm hoping the consequence of being somewhat accountable will assist attitude change. The potential for prosecution with video evidence is a different matter, and like others that footage of such will remain private until other options have been followed through.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:10 am

Oxford wrote:Its not wolf if 10 different people report 10 different incidents of merit (just because they are cyclists reporting them). Its only wolf if one person reports 9 incidents without merit then wants the 10th taken seriously.

As for severity, as explained by me, its either reportable or not. I'm not saying people shouldn't post videos, just curious as to what people's expectations are? Change or cathartic?
Cathartic for me.

Personally I have little expectation that law makers, law enforcers or the small idiotic or malicious members of the general road using public will ever change their attitudes.

Call me a grumpy cynic. Still reeling from a recent birthday that's too close to 40 for my liking ;-).
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:20 am

Oxford wrote:How many people here actually report these matters to the police? I ask as I have two criteria for posting a video to YouTube, one is that I am reporting the behavior and/or secondly I have observed something really stupid/dumb/careless etc (and I am going to report the behavior). Occasionally I will just post something I think is of general interest, but not that often. I only ask as we see lots of videos from members, it does take time to do it, so I am curious do you do it to be cathartic or are you wanting behavioral change on the roads so reporting the matter?

Both. I reported a close pass by a woman on a motorscooter using the Crimestoppers website (although here in Victoria we don't have the 1m rule). No response, not even an incident number. I didn't get around to reporting a right hook with abuse that I should have back in November last year. Not sure if I can report or if it is too late now (I've still got the footage).

I called the police straightaway for the dooring and they attended at the scene - posting the video online was cathartic but also helped escalate the matter and got the police's media department onto it (which I think may have made things move faster too), not to mention him turning himself in due to the media attention.

I have made complaints to companies where there have been company cars involved. One company satisfactorily addressed the issues and after their satisfactory response I didn't think it warranted reporting to the police (moving left without checking or giving way to me already in the left lane).

The current incident with the building supplies truck cutting me off and turning the wrong way down the one way street: the company hasn't responded to my email or follow up request to address my concerns and I am preparing the police report to send it in.

If it is serious I intend to try and report, although my experience with Crimestoppers was woeful so I won't bother with that avenue again.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:40 am

Summernight wrote:Both. I reported a close pass by a woman on a motorscooter using the Crimestoppers website (although here in Victoria we don't have the 1m rule). No response, not even an incident number. I didn't get around to reporting a right hook with abuse that I should have back in November last year. Not sure if I can report or if it is too late now (I've still got the footage).
crimestoppers is a scam. i had precisely the same experience. i asked if i could follow up with the cop shop and they refused to provide any details - "confidential". it's resourced by volunteers, which is on the one hand admirable, but on the other hand not a good sign for their professionalism.

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:15 am

Scott_C wrote:

Alas, had a similar experience. Approaching a roundabout I could see a car also approaching and it was clear I would arrive just before him (it was the ubiquitous tradie in his ute..). Rather be delayed by a few seconds, he went the wrong way around the roundabout, and to top it off, exited onto the wrong side of the road :roll: There was a pedestrian about to cross what appeared to her an empty road - it was fortunate shw was alert and quick witted enough to step back smartly when the ute appeared from behind her

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:41 am

jules21 wrote:
Summernight wrote:Both. I reported a close pass by a woman on a motorscooter using the Crimestoppers website (although here in Victoria we don't have the 1m rule). No response, not even an incident number. I didn't get around to reporting a right hook with abuse that I should have back in November last year. Not sure if I can report or if it is too late now (I've still got the footage).
crimestoppers is a scam. i had precisely the same experience. i asked if i could follow up with the cop shop and they refused to provide any details - "confidential". it's resourced by volunteers, which is on the one hand admirable, but on the other hand not a good sign for their professionalism.

in qld crimestoppers is even worse - it's a paid service

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:44 am

jasonc wrote:in qld crimestoppers is even worse - it's a paid service
i find it hard to understand what value they add. they just pass the info onto the cops (allegedly). i'd highly recommend bypassing them with cycling-related incident reports.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:52 am

jules21 wrote:
jasonc wrote:in qld crimestoppers is even worse - it's a paid service
i find it hard to understand what value they add. they just pass the info onto the cops (allegedly). i'd highly recommend bypassing them with cycling-related incident reports.
NSW "Crimestoppers" have advised me twice now (and I won't bother again) to contact my local police station and provide a statement there. This was despite filling in a lot of detail on the site including video links.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:09 pm

Boognoss wrote:NSW "Crimestoppers" have advised me twice now (and I won't bother again) to contact my local police station and provide a statement there. This was despite filling in a lot of detail on the site including video links.
And the response you get fro the local police station will depend upon the "quality" of the traffic sergeant in the local area command. I have had good experiences with the Sydney City LAC & terrible experience from Burwood LAC.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:18 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Boognoss wrote:NSW "Crimestoppers" have advised me twice now (and I won't bother again) to contact my local police station and provide a statement there. This was despite filling in a lot of detail on the site including video links.
And the response you get fro the local police station will depend upon the "quality" of the traffic sergeant in the local area command. I have had good experiences with the Sydney City LAC & terrible experience from Burwood LAC.
Fair enough. I haven't taken that step yet so don't know if Castle Hill LAC is a good one or not (or Eastwood LAC and others in between home and work on my usual commute route).

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:52 pm

Wow indeed! :shock: Shocking. :shock:

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:57 pm

stupid, but that's not as bad as it looks. he waited for you to enter the roundabout, after which there was no option for new entrants. which made it 'safe' for him to pull that stunt. however, regardless, highly unnecessary and leaving little room for error (e.g. what if you did a u-turn?) so still dangerous.

herzog

Postby herzog » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:02 pm

Not my vid, just something that showed up on my youtube feed. I think it's from Perth.

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:03 pm

No options for for someone entering the roundabout from the right and make a left hand turn, thus be heading in the opposite direction of the MM?

I think this is a real possibility.

Kev.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:06 pm

Kev365428 wrote:No options for for someone entering the roundabout from the right and make a left hand turn, thus be heading in the opposite direction of the MM?
no RH entry - if you look carefully. it's still dangerous, don't get me wrong.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:15 pm

jules21 wrote:stupid, but that's not as bad as it looks. he waited for you to enter the roundabout, after which there was no option for new entrants. which made it 'safe' for him to pull that stunt. however, regardless, highly unnecessary and leaving little room for error (e.g. what if you did a u-turn?) so still dangerous.
See what rdp posted above about a similar situation with a pedestrian on the far side of the roundabout about to cross.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:18 pm

iaintas wrote:Got to love a late indicator combined with a SMIDSY.. (swearing included)

Yes the MM didn't check before moving across. Personally, I wouldn't ride in the killing zone.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:44 pm

biker jk wrote:
iaintas wrote:Got to love a late indicator combined with a SMIDSY.. (swearing included)

Yes the MM didn't check before moving across. Personally, I wouldn't ride in the killing zone.
That is a shocking section of road to be commuting on :shock: , with the door zone on one side and tram lines on the other.
I grew up in Melb but I must have gone soft in the 20+ years since I lived there :o . I would avoid at all costs. I reckon if you rode much further out there would be a large percentage of MGIF morons giving untold grief, further in and you risk death by dooring. Is there another way?
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:57 pm

Oxford wrote:I only ask as we see lots of videos from members, it does take time to do it, so I am curious do you do it to be cathartic or are you wanting behavioral change on the roads so reporting the matter?
I have three levels ... (1) lowest level is posted here and/or just to You Tube as a "vent"; (2) might see my posting something here to get feedback on it as to whether to follow through or not and (3) is reported and if it involves a business it may win a blog post as well :) Reporting is at two levels. Lowest level where the expectation is a phone call/formal warning I just use the WA Police online reporting system as it is quick and easy. More serious incidents where I believe a TIN is warranted I go with a formal report in writing with the DVD generally via the Commissioner's office (with an explanation as to why I have done this.). WA Police have in some way made it easier as they are now encouraging the use of dashcams.

Andrew

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:18 pm

Aushiker wrote:WA Police have in some way made it easier as they are now encouraging the use of dashcams.
Andrew

The police minister (I'm pretty sure it was the minister and not the commisioner) has made a similar statement. People are still having a lot of issues being taken seriously, even with video. I know, as an example, InTheWoods has created a great relationship with his local but from my understand, that is rare rather than the norm.