The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Boognoss » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:48 pm

queequeg wrote:Coming home last night, Westbound on the Sydney M2 Road Shoulder at 5pm, I was faced with a guy on a Mouttain Bike or Hybrid (no helmet), heading Eastbound in the Westbound lane. No lights either. I was doing around 45km/h at the time, luckily it was on the straight downhill section between the Kent Rd bridge and the Murray Farm Rd bridge.

Did anyone else riding the M2 just after 5pm encounter him?
I didn't see him yesterday. I was on the M2 from Delhi to P/Hills Rd between approx 5:15 and 5:35.

I've seen a bike salmoning the eastbound in the western bike lane hugging the crash barrier a couple of weeks ago just after I entered at Delhi Rd though.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:51 pm

Boognoss wrote:
queequeg wrote:Coming home last night, Westbound on the Sydney M2 Road Shoulder at 5pm, I was faced with a guy on a Mouttain Bike or Hybrid (no helmet), heading Eastbound in the Westbound lane. No lights either. I was doing around 45km/h at the time, luckily it was on the straight downhill section between the Kent Rd bridge and the Murray Farm Rd bridge.

I didn't see him yesterday. I was on the M2 from Delhi to P/Hills Rd between approx 5:15 and 5:35.

I've seen a bike salmoning the eastbound in the western bike lane hugging the crash barrier a couple of weeks ago just after I entered at Delhi Rd though.
At the speed he was going, he must have exited at Beecroft Rd, otherwise you would have encountered him riding the wrong way through the tunnel. I saw him at 5:01pm about half way between Kent Rd and Murray Farm Rd.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:03 pm

queequeg wrote:
Boognoss wrote:

At the speed he was going, he must have exited at Beecroft Rd, otherwise you would have encountered him riding the wrong way through the tunnel. I saw him at 5:01pm about half way between Kent Rd and Murray Farm Rd.
:roll: :roll: Not like the shoulder to Beecroft Rd eastbound with only a bit of salmoning up the onramp wouldn't be possible if that way inclined. Just dumb...... A lot less salmoning for the uber lazy cyclist ;)
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:04 pm

I am nominating a complete idiot road user I saw last night. Walking back from a run at night... that is FULL darkness on a poorly lit street, I heard a dreadful racket coming down the road. I had no idea what it was at first but out of the darkness emerged a moron on a petrol powered 'bicycle'... with no reflectors, no lights, dark bike, dark clothing, no helmet. He seemed to be moving at a fair clip too. He had no hope of being seen... an accident waiting to happen. Although, I must say at the volume of the racket his vehicle made... perhaps that was the warning that something was amiss. I could hear it at least a kilometre away! :shock: Still, pretty stupid to drive around in dark clothing at night on a dark vehicle with no lights.
<removed by request>

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:25 pm

I saw my first ever red light on the front of a bicycle tonight. i gave them a serve

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:17 pm

Boognoss wrote:
jules21 wrote:
Boognoss wrote:Here's a tip, before you walk onto a road how about looking up first???

i've got bad news on that one - ped is crossing a footpath and cyclist needed to yield.
Snipped

But He should have given way to this one....Knowing that law full well, In a very cunning move the dastardly cyclist scared the tripe out of the corner crossing ped and distracted the other ped who didnt' have time to step onto the road.
Good and timely use of the airzound to stop two peds in the one blow..... :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:47 am

No brakes and trying to get a free tow by a 10 ton piece of metal never ends well.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:55 am

I had an interesting one last night - I pulled up here, and I was on the right hand line of the bike lane but in the bike box. The left turn arrow went green, I looked behind me, saw that the car had its indicator on so I gestured for the car to go through. Two cars pass through, next one is turning right, so holds up.

As the light for through traffic goes green I start to move off and have another cyclist come around from my right, cut straight in from of me and mount the footpath to go up Exhibition St, mouthing off about something as he does so.

As a positive, I made a comment about this to the rider behind me (rider2) at the next lights and the guy behind him (rider3) asked about the law regarding riding on footpaths. I gave a quick rundown of when you can and can't (under 12 or accompanying someone under 12, special dispensation or where it is signposted as a shared path). Unfortunately after listening intently rider3 proceeded to say "yeah, but if you do it in the outer suburbs it's not like they'll book you" then rode on the footpath along Victoria St to get to Nicholson. Oh well!
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:29 pm

nezumi wrote:I had an interesting one last night - I pulled up here, and I was on the right hand line of the bike lane but in the bike box. The left turn arrow went green, I looked behind me, saw that the car had its indicator on so I gestured for the car to go through. Two cars pass through, next one is turning right, so holds up.

As the light for through traffic goes green I start to move off and have another cyclist come around from my right, cut straight in from of me and mount the footpath to go up Exhibition St, mouthing off about something as he does so.

As a positive, I made a comment about this to the rider behind me (rider2) at the next lights and the guy behind him (rider3) asked about the law regarding riding on footpaths. I gave a quick rundown of when you can and can't (under 12 or accompanying someone under 12, special dispensation or where it is signposted as a shared path). Unfortunately after listening intently rider3 proceeded to say "yeah, but if you do it in the outer suburbs it's not like they'll book you" then rode on the footpath along Victoria St to get to Nicholson. Oh well!
I've used that intersection a couple of times recently (it's not on my normal commute and I'm going to keep it that way). The placement of the bike lane and bike box in front of a lane that has a left turn arrow is so dumb. If traffic management want a separate left turn arrow then put the bike lane and bike box on the right of the left/right hook turning lane. Not that that is a bike lane coming up to that intersection anyway as the City of Melbourne has so kindly pointed out, more a 'filter lane' for bikes to get to the badly placed bike box.

I wouldn't stress too much about the dumb cyclist who turned left over you to get onto the left-side footpath (it took me a bit to try and work out that scenario) mouthing off at you as there is no conceivable thing you would have done wrong in that situation. Maybe he was saying "Passing!" :P

His actions were definitely dumb.

As for hopping on the footpath from Victoria to Nicholson - if it isn't already, that area should be a shared path. What is the point of creating a dedicated, separated bicycle lane for the whole length of the Melbourne CBD that then just spits you out into one of the busiest and most dangerous roads in Melbourne? I must admit I've been tempted to follow other cyclists up onto that footpath, as the alternative is to either take your chances with car doors or try and claim the lane (not the easiest of manoeuvres when riding up the slight incline).

My silly cyclist was the lady last night who I had passed previously and she was clearly slower than me, who decided to try and pass me and the cyclist in front of me (who was faster than me) while we were waiting at the lights just as the lights turned green. She then indicated quickly and pushed back into the bike lane in front of me (as she was in the vehicle lane to pass). So I had to then re-pass her. Not overly smart on her part and a bit rude too, passing people who are just pushing off from a changed traffic light when you know they are faster than you.

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:16 pm

We had one a few months ago; overtook a lady on a beach cruiser type of bike with a basket on the front as we went up a hill on the bike track. We were just having an easy ride home after the morning group ride. Next thing we know, we hear this voice yelling, no shouting, at us to get out of the way. We moved over and she came flying down the hill past us, went about another 20 metres and then came to a gradual stop in the middle of the track. The only thing I can think of is she crested the hill and then forgot where the brakes were. She just looked at me like I was something stuck to her shoe when I asked if she was OK, so we left her to it.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:34 pm

silentC wrote:We had one a few months ago; overtook a lady on a beach cruiser type of bike with a basket on the front as we went up a hill on the bike track. We were just having an easy ride home after the morning group ride. Next thing we know, we hear this voice yelling, no shouting, at us to get out of the way. We moved over and she came flying down the hill past us, went about another 20 metres and then came to a gradual stop in the middle of the track. The only thing I can think of is she crested the hill and then forgot where the brakes were. She just looked at me like I was something stuck to her shoe when I asked if she was OK, so we left her to it.
This lady was also on a beach cruiser thing with basket...

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:39 pm

twice over last 2 weeks i've come to a hard stop, riding home in the evening on the MYT as i've approached a pedestrian/runner dressed in all-dark clothing from behind. what are these idiots thinking?

also in one case, the rider in front waited until the last second before swerving around the pedestrian, failing to signal to following riders (me).

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:16 pm

Ignoto wrote:No brakes and trying to get a free tow by a 10 ton piece of metal never ends well.

Hipster. Nuff said.

herzog

Postby herzog » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:03 pm

Pretty crazy sequence of dumb pedestrians, cyclists, motorists...

MisuVir

Postby MisuVir » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:19 pm

herzog wrote:Pretty crazy sequence of dumb pedestrians, cyclists, motorists...
That last sentence really sums up the whole thing. Some people are really just silly.

Ouch at the cyclist that nearly got cleaned up by the motorcycle. Must have given him a fright... although I couldn't quite work out what the cyclist was trying to do by turning slowly across a road after shortly after a corner...

herzog

Postby herzog » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:08 am

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:58 am

Wow. The woman at 1 minute who pulls the child out of the way of the car failing to stop at the ped crossing. And the one at 3:12. :shock:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:20 am

I saw one guy riding on a pitch black cycleway at night, no lights on his bike, nothing reflective and wearing dark clothes and no helmet either. And going along at around 25-30km/h with arms folded too.

How he could even see properly ahead of him I'll never know. That's some serious bravery there. I dread to think what would happen if a fox or rabbit darted out in front of him. I did see a few rabbits yesterday, so I assume foxes will be about too.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:53 pm

Summernight wrote:

Wow. The woman at 1 minute who pulls the child out of the way of the car failing to stop at the ped crossing. And the one at 3:12. :shock:
I loved the commentary of the motorcyclist describing the pedestrian right at the end. Understated and succinct :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:20 pm

warthog1 wrote:I loved the commentary of the motorcyclist describing the pedestrian right at the end. Understated and succinct :)
I watched it with sound off so missed that gem. :P

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:25 pm

Summernight wrote:
warthog1 wrote:I loved the commentary of the motorcyclist describing the pedestrian right at the end. Understated and succinct :)
I watched it with sound off so missed that gem. :P

same. probably needs a NSFW warning

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:18 pm

Absolute classic yesterday evening. Non ride day, so I was walking to the station along Australia Ave, Sydney Olympic Park just after dark. This is a major four lane road with a bike lane in each direction. At that time of day it is busy with peak hour traffic. Noticed a bike travelling slowly along the bike lane in the wrong direction. No helmet, no lights, one hand on the bar, the other holding a phone. Seems the rider was doing this because it was too much trouble to cross the busy road and ride to the nearby intersection on the correct side of the road. Just before the intersection, there is a turn right slip lane allowing access to a newly built apartment complex. So, rather ride all the way to the intersection, Mr Clever decided to cut across the road – still travelling in the wrong direction – and cut in front of a car waiting to turn from the slip lane to finally meander onto the correct side of the road.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:10 pm

to the lady cyclist who decided to proceed across the freeway off-ramp crossing at Docklands, Footscray Rd - you are a numpty. just because the cars were stationary when you decided to proceed, didn't mean they were going to be stationary after you entered the crossing against the red bike signal. your casual wave of "sorr-ee" in response to taxi who chose not to run you down doesn't really make up for it.

Waccofozzy

Postby Waccofozzy » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:11 am

From the facebook page of an acquaintance, will have to find out more:

To the simpleton who sees 1500 boys walking across the Storey Bridge and still proceeds to ride at top speed from the other direction... top marks for smarts!! You not only ran into my son, then as my son apologies to you (as he is picking himself of the ground), you throw a triad of abuse calling a 13 year old a F$&ken spastic. Now because of your stupidity my son has a broken arm for his troubles and I have to spend the next 3 months visiting the fracture clinic!!! If cars have to stay a metre away from bikes, bikes should have to stay the same away from pedestrians!!
I have OFS - Old, Fat and Slow

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:22 pm

I was heading south on Beach Street, Fremantle when I found myself sharing the "lane" with Mr Salmon Cyclist. I swear he didn't seem to see me, sure as heck didn't acknowledge me at all. I thought for a moment there he was seriously considering playing chicken with me ... pretty silly given I was on my recumbent with the chain ring right out front :)

Andrew