Commuter Steel Frame Road Bike

Jamie86

Commuter Steel Frame Road Bike

Postby Jamie86 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:09 pm

Hey guys,

I am looking to build a commuter road bike as I am currently using my Hard MTB any suggestions on what type of frame and fork to get.

Looking for something steel from 1980's early 1990's, not too expensive and I am looking to fit it out with some modern components where possible (so more of a re purpose)

Any advice will help, oh and I need a frame 60cm or over and I am in Perth if that helps.

Cheers,

Jamie

rangersac

Re: Commuter Steel Frame Road Bike

Postby rangersac » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:26 am

Old steel frames will take modern components no worries and there are plenty of options that will fit what you are looking for. The two main points of difference are brakes, as older frames will only take traditional nutted brake bolts rather than recessed caliper nuts, and the rear frame spacing, which was commonly 126mm, where as modern rear wheels are 130mm. It's not an issue, as you can easily flex the rear stays to fit a modern wheel in. There are a few things that are worth considering depending on how you want to kit out your bike though. Firstly since you say you are wanting a dedicated commuter, does that mean you want to fit full length mudguards (and I highly recommend you do)? If so make sure you check the clearance between the tires and the frame. Older frames (we're talking older than mid 80s here) that were built for 27" wheels are ideal as they will have acres of room, but for a 700c wheel road style frame, clearance may be too tight to easily mount mudguards. Secondly since you mention you need a 60cm or over frame so chances are you are both tall and have correspondingly large hooves. If you want to use a rack/ pannier combo check the chainstay length, as heel strike on your panniers may be an issue for bikes with a chainstays of 42cm or less.

Brands? Plenty to choose from. Apollo, Ricardo, Centurion, Shogun, and Repco are going to be the most common for that period. Look for something with a Cromo fork as this will ride nicer than a plain hi-tensile steel fork, and a double butted frame would be nice.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:18 pm

+1 on older 27" bikes for commuters.

landyacht

Postby landyacht » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:11 pm

Ive got a tall repco victory tri A chrome moly frame , takes 700c's. looking for a home/project that i can drop in Perth, frame is in really good condition , with older dia compe brakes still attched and trhe stem /dropbars, or I have buckets of flatbars if prefered. just looking for a small swap for something useful

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:22 pm

Bugger, I gave away 4 over 60cm early 80s apollos the other week to the fixie boys.
The 1979-86 apollo frames are indestructible.
When in doubt......mumble.

sorted

Postby sorted » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:57 pm

I've got an early '90s Peugeot Tourmalet if that's of any interest? It's a 63cm CrMo frame with 700c wheels and 14 speed SIS (also, it's in Perth and my wife would be pleased if I sold it). It was bought as the base for a rolling project so is in reasonable nick (tyres, cables, chain and cassette <1000km old) but isn't a show bike.

I originally bought it with a very similar idea to you - to see how I'd get on with a road bike after commuting on a hardtail MTB. It's a nice frame, ideal for a commuter, but is a bit too big for me and I've since built up a 58cm Ricardo frame with new wheels and drivetrain that fits me better.

As a concept, the steel frame with new wheels and brifters works really well for me as a commuter and I'd definitely recommend it.

jmacbrid86

Postby jmacbrid86 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:19 pm

sorted wrote:I've got an early '90s Peugeot Tourmalet if that's of any interest? It's a 63cm CrMo frame with 700c wheels and 14 speed SIS (also, it's in Perth and my wife would be pleased if I sold it). It was bought as the base for a rolling project so is in reasonable nick (tyres, cables, chain and cassette <1000km old) but isn't a show bike.

I originally bought it with a very similar idea to you - to see how I'd get on with a road bike after commuting on a hardtail MTB. It's a nice frame, ideal for a commuter, but is a bit too big for me and I've since built up a 58cm Ricardo frame with new wheels and drivetrain that fits me better.

As a concept, the steel frame with new wheels and brifters works really well for me as a commuter and I'd definitely recommend it.
Do you still have this for sale? If so how much are looking for? Cheers Jamie

jmacbrid86

Postby jmacbrid86 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:22 pm

Thanks for the advice so far guys, looking at this option or a cyclocross bike as I could use that for training for XC events.