Stolen: 2008 Norco Charger, RMIT Swanston St Melbourne

Forum rules
Before posting, please read the guidelines first.
rhombus

Stolen: 2008 Norco Charger, RMIT Swanston St Melbourne

Postby rhombus » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:24 pm

Yep.

well i have well and truly learnt my lesson now.

this is the 2nd bike ive had stolen from the same place in as many months.

:(

you all know what they look like. i can identify it by a few nicks and scratches. custom pedals but mostly it was standard.

mofos.

h3ndry

Postby h3ndry » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:11 am

Purely out of interest, what type of lock did you have it secured with?

rhombus

Postby rhombus » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:20 pm

yeah was one of those onguard things. pretty damn thick, thickest combo lock. 3 star rating in their website.

not exactly the best one eh. went to buy a bloody big d-lock on sunday but didnt end up getting one. hindsight. also just wiped my phone on friday too which had the stupid serial number in it! talk about bad luck.

miss min

Postby miss min » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:02 pm

Me now have mini-kryptonite d-lock, cable to thread through tyres, bikes are registered online and are insured. Would still hurt if they were stolen, but at least I have done what I can now.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:05 pm

Insurance is a good idea, here are two big names who do bicycles:

Cycle Cover
Velosure

--

You can't be safe locking up your bike in a public place nor in an alley or store room. The safest option is in the office or in the house / apartment though I understand it is not always possible.

When locking, the more difficult it is for the criminal the less attractive it is. Some know their bikes, some don't however if you put two locks on your bike such as a fat Kryptonite and a second smaller locker then it is a lot more difficult than going to look for the next bike that is less secure. I find it annoying lugging a big lock plus taking then time to take the front wheel off and lock the frame and wheels up together, on the other hand it is the only way of having better certainty that the bike will still be there.
Cycling is in my BNA

hoysta

Postby hoysta » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:31 pm

Damn, it seems a lot of bikes have been taken from RMIT.....hard to know how they manage to take them in the middle of the day without people knowing!!

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:53 pm

hoysta wrote:Damn, it seems a lot of bikes have been taken from RMIT.....hard to know how they manage to take them in the middle of the day without people knowing!!
Easy. How many people do you know who would ask if they saw someone hacking through a lock, if the bike wasn't theirs? And how many would just shrug when they give the reply "mind your own business" or "well, i lost my key" ? Bloody apathetic society these days.

Tom Marius

Postby Tom Marius » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:08 pm

stryker84 wrote:
hoysta wrote:Damn, it seems a lot of bikes have been taken from RMIT.....hard to know how they manage to take them in the middle of the day without people knowing!!
Easy. How many people do you know who would ask if they saw someone hacking through a lock, if the bike wasn't theirs? And how many would just shrug when they give the reply "mind your own business" or "well, i lost my key" ? Bloody apathetic society these days.
there was a video posted on here a while ago showing exactly that. They even used an angle grinder to break the lock, no-one cared. Maybe someone else can remember the link, it was quite sobering.
-Drugs are for people who can't handle reality-

tourdeme

Postby tourdeme » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:08 pm

My grandpa tells me; "You're bike is a little dear - mind it doesn't get pinched."
I roll my eyes and say, "I'm not going to leave my pride and joy (it's nickname) sitting around for someone. I'm going to be riding it."
Then he looks at me seriously, "You could have gotten a bike for $100 - that wouldn't have been nearly as tempting for theives."
Then I roll my eyes again (I'm very theatrical, like any teenager) "Why should I miss out on having a nice bike just because someone might possibly steal it?"
"Well," he rebuts, clicking his tongue at my lock, "Perhaps eight or nine locks would dissuade most thieves."

This is the thing - security is one thing, but being so paranoid about a bike being stolen means that you miss out on the joy of riding, or going out to the shops. I put my lock on my bike, and then go check on it every quarter of an hour. I know I will probably end up posting my own thread in "stolen bikes" eventually, but it's a risk I'm willing to take for sanity.

I am sorry for your loss. Let us all have a moment of silence...
"Hey, Bank, I'm Picasso!"
"I don't get it."
"You uncultured Swine!"
(Mr. Potato Head)